Funny/interesting kid memories of Bond in the cinema

2»

Comments

  • Posts: 169
    LALD was the first Bond film I ever saw at age 9 and it was in a cinema. My brother and I thought it was the most exciting thing we'd ever seen and became Roger Moore fans at first. TMWTGG was still fun, especially for a horror movie fan like me since Christopher Lee was the villain. I remember lots of people hailing TSWLM as the best Bond film in ages, which it was. At age 13, I loved Jaws as a henchman and didn't mind the recycled plot elements from YOLT since they were improved upon. But MR was a big disappointment to me at age 15. I was sick of Roger Moore, having long since converted to Connery fandom; I rolled my eyes at the lame verbal and visual jokes and resented Jaws losing his menace. I wouldn't see another Bond film in the cinema until TLD.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,696
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    I rolled my eyes at the lame verbal and visual jokes and resented Jaws losing his menace. I wouldn't see another Bond film in the cinema until TLD.
    Wow. Pretty severe, but I can understand it.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    I was sick of Roger Moore, having long since converted to Connery fandom; I rolled my eyes at the lame verbal and visual jokes and resented Jaws losing his menace. I wouldn't see another Bond film in the cinema until TLD.
    I'd given up on Moore by then. He'd lost me one film earlier with Spy, especially the van hijinks with Anya and Jaws at the pyramids. What is this keystone cops!?
    I didn't actually boycott the remaining Rog films, but I was plenty pissed off. I did not like what Cubby and Rog were doing with the franchise. I blamed Star Wars and it's childish R2D2 C3Pio humour for corrupting Bond. I hated the original Star Wars film.
    Aside from the annoying humour and the emasculation of Jaws, Spy and MR have still held up as darn good Bond movies, but at the time the levity was utterly annoying. I figured the Rog era would just have to be waited out. It was beyond salvage.
    It's too bad, but for the cloying slapstick "fun" bits, Spy and MR had the potential to be great Bond films. I remember it really did bother my teenage self at the time though, what these guys were doing to taint these films.

  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,696
    timmer wrote:
    He'd lost me one film earlier with Spy, especially the van hijinks with Anya and Jaws at the pyramids. What is this keystone cops!?
    Yeah, for me Spy pushed the envelope to about breaking, then with MR it went *POP*. I went to FYEO & it was a great improvement, but I still never took Moore's films seriously after that.
    Now, today, I can find entertainment in most of his work as Bond, but as a teen I was mainly just pissed after 1979. [-(
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 4,622
    chrisisall wrote:
    .... but as a teen I was mainly just pissed after 1979. [-(
    Me too. The indignation was quite righteous. >:P
    The damage at the time that was being done to Bond, I think warranted a Royal Commission investigation. I put the blame squarely on Rog. I was leery from the outset that Rog's Saint could ever properly play Connery's Bond. What were they thinking? Madness.

  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,696
    timmer wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    .... but as a teen I was mainly just pissed after 1979. [-(
    Me too. The indignation was quite righteous. >:P
    And sadly, though I liked TLD, I didn't LOVE it at the time- I was too taken up with the intensity of Aliens, Lethal Weapon, Predator & others. Only after I read the Fleming novels & revisiting the Dalton films did I come to realize how great they were (are).
    As Joe Hallenbeck would say, another tragic tale of wasted youth.... :))
  • Posts: 4,622
    I didn't love TLD either. I saw it as finally a nice change from Rog. The humour was again bearable at least.
    Truth isI've found all the post Connery Bonds lacking in one way or another, so over time Rog has managed to stack up comparatively well, and I do love the escapist nature of his films, all of them. They are all great Bondian adventures.But at the time...........grrrr! :D
  • Posts: 169
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    I rolled my eyes at the lame verbal and visual jokes and resented Jaws losing his menace. I wouldn't see another Bond film in the cinema until TLD.
    Wow. Pretty severe, but I can understand it.

    I think part of it was that my age back then. I wanted to be grown up & sophisticated, an attitude probably made worse because I was raised in a pretentious college town. I was discovering Ingmar Bergman, Orson Welles, Kurosawa and rejecting childhood favorites like The Three Stooges, Godzilla & his extended kaiju family, and the Roger Moore James Bond. Now as I'm nearly 50 years old, I have a new appreciation for all of that "kid stuff" while some of the film work I admired when I was a young adult (David Lynch, Spike Lee, Quentin Tarantino) is what I can't be bothered with anymore.

    Otherwise, my Bond compulsion was such that while I didn't see FYEO in a cinema, I joined right in when some of my college buddies decided to watch it on TV. OP and AVTAK had to wait until after Dalton turned up and so I wanted to finally catch my missing Bonds on home video (VHS back then).

  • Posts: 169
    chrisisall wrote:
    And sadly, though I liked TLD, I didn't LOVE it at the time-

    I think I had a similar reaction. I was a little excited that a "new Bond" was being introduced and caught the buzz that Dalton's interpretation was more serious than Sir Roger's had been. I believe I watched TLD and thought, "Yeah, that's an improvement", and sort of shrugged it off and didn't feel like I just HAD to see Dalton's next film. I did catch up with LTK on home video and was similarly underwhelmed. I liked GE enough that I was game to see TND when it was released but was vaguely disappointed in that one & left the rest of Brosnan to DVD rentals.

    It was so different when CR came out - I responded to the Craig reboot with excitement. I even liked how the gun barrel effect was reworked (not that I approve of its use in QoS or SF). After CR, I was eager to see each new release in a way I probably hadn't been since the 70s when Moore's Bond Lite was enough to impress my pre-teen self.

  • 00Hero00Hero Banned
    edited July 2013 Posts: 121
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    /quote]

    I wanted to be grown up & sophisticated
    Mum says thats why every one liked The Dark Knight. Anyways I also I remember from Skyfall, when Severeen got shot by Silva I died alittle. She was hot until then.
  • Posts: 66
    After my dad took me to see Goldeneye, it started a tradition where we would see every Bond film on opening day. The day before SkyFall premiered he was in a minor vehiciar accident; he checked out of hospital with two cracked ribs so we could continue our tradition.
  • Posts: 169
    dkem91 wrote:
    After my dad took me to see Goldeneye, it started a tradition where we would see every Bond film on opening day. The day before SkyFall premiered he was in a minor vehiciar accident; he checked out of hospital with two cracked ribs so we could continue our tradition.

    Bond himself would've done no less!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,696
    dkem91 wrote:
    he checked out of hospital with two cracked ribs so we could continue our tradition.

    Awesome.
  • Posts: 615
    Mine:
    Seeing TSWLM at a U.S. Navy base theater in 1977... When the American sub crew is busted out of the tanker's brig and start grabbing weapons in the armory to go on the attack, the audience of young sailors went absolutely berserk!

    Screaming, yelling, stomping, clapping... It was awesome! Have never seen an audience go that wild 'n' crazy for any movie.
  • Posts: 2,483
    dkem91 wrote:
    After my dad took me to see Goldeneye, it started a tradition where we would see every Bond film on opening day. The day before SkyFall premiered he was in a minor vehiciar accident; he checked out of hospital with two cracked ribs so we could continue our tradition.

    Bully! Anything short of a coma or traction should not impede one's rendezvous with a Bond premiere.

  • Posts: 2,483
    CraterGuns wrote:
    Mine:
    Seeing TSWLM at a U.S. Navy base theater in 1977... When the American sub crew is busted out of the tanker's brig and start grabbing weapons in the armory to go on the attack, the audience of young sailors went absolutely berserk!

    Screaming, yelling, stomping, clapping... It was awesome! Have never seen an audience go that wild 'n' crazy for any movie.

    Cool. Sounds like the Scots when they saw Braveheart.

  • Posts: 11,189
    The audience cheering/clapping when the clampers were drenched in TWINE.
  • Posts: 66
    Speaking of clapping; the only time I've been to a movie where the entire audience clapped at the end was Casino Royale. At the end of SkyFall most everybody applauded, but not like they did at the end of Casino Royale, it was really cool.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    Posts: 496
    Murdock wrote:
    Well in 2002 when I was 11, I saw Die Another Day and thought it was the best James Bond movie ever. but since then those thoughts have changed and I think it's top 10 material. And Skyfall was the first Bond movie that made me cry.

    Same here about Skyfall making me cry a few people gave me odd looks when I walked out and I told them their not real Bond fans you don't know what this means to me as the Brosnan era was the first era I saw and always been use to Dench. I think I remember seeing DAD when I was about 8 and I was like woah feisty and I would have been about 12 seeing CR just a great film I thought the colors weren't working at first. And then 14 at the age of QoS I went to see it and when he locked the waitress in his room I was like jeez not 12 rated.It also disappointed me that he got what he was after at the end of the film and the gunbarrel was too quick. And then my SF one is at the top.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Posts: 987
    I remember getting really frustrated while watching Casino Royale because one of those know it all intellectual types behind me was telling his girlfriend Bond trivia all the way through and IT WAS ALL INCORRECT!

    For example here are the few of his gems I can remember :

    Tutting noise "Of course in the books his Aston was actually gold not silver!"

    "Ian Fleming picked Connery himself"

    Exasperated sigh "Connery's Bond would never of killed in cold blood."

    Sound of palm of hand slapping forehead "No, no, no, Bond only drank vodka martini never whisky!"

    Elongated groan "In the books Bond would never of crashed his car!"

    After two hours of this running commentary I was ready to punch the guy, I wanted to just do an Alan Partridge and yell "Stop getting Bond wrong", After the film I did turn and give him the Brosnan glare while noticing his girlfriend was really hot which somehow just made it worse!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,696
    saunders wrote:
    After the film I did turn and give him the Brosnan glare while noticing his girlfriend was really hot which somehow just made it worse!
    Never again! If it ever begins to happen again, turn and say, "Sorry. Forgot to knock..."
  • Posts: 11,189
    saunders wrote:
    I remember getting really frustrated while watching Casino Royale because one of those know it all intellectual types behind me was telling his girlfriend Bond trivia all the way through and IT WAS ALL INCORRECT!

    For example here are the few of his gems I can remember :

    Tutting noise "Of course in the books his Aston was actually gold not silver!"

    "Ian Fleming picked Connery himself"

    Exasperated sigh "Connery's Bond would never of killed in cold blood."

    Sound of palm of hand slapping forehead "No, no, no, Bond only drank vodka martini never whisky!"

    Elongated groan "In the books Bond would never of crashed his car!"

    After two hours of this running commentary I was ready to punch the guy, I wanted to just do an Alan Partridge and yell "Stop getting Bond wrong", After the film I did turn and give him the Brosnan glare while noticing his girlfriend was really hot which somehow just made it worse!

    You're a brave man for putting up with that. If that was me I'd have probably changed seats at the very least.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 4,622
    saunders wrote:
    For example here are the few of his gems I can remember :

    Tutting noise "Of course in the books his Aston was actually gold not silver!"

    "Ian Fleming picked Connery himself"

    Exasperated sigh "Connery's Bond would never of killed in cold blood."

    Sound of palm of hand slapping forehead "No, no, no, Bond only drank vodka martini never whisky!"

    Elongated groan "In the books Bond would never of crashed his car!"

    After two hours of this running commentary I was ready to punch the guy, I wanted to just do an Alan Partridge and yell "Stop getting Bond wrong", After the film I did turn and give him the Brosnan glare while noticing his girlfriend was really hot which somehow just made it worse!
    What a serious A-Hole. Clearly trying to impress the hot girlfriend. It will catch up with him though. He probably pulls this know-it-all shite all the time. She will eventually weary.
    But geez, if you are going to expound like that, at least expound on something you know about.
    CraterGuns wrote:
    Mine:
    Seeing TSWLM at a U.S. Navy base theater in 1977... When the American sub crew is busted out of the tanker's brig and start grabbing weapons in the armory to go on the attack, the audience of young sailors went absolutely berserk!

    Screaming, yelling, stomping, clapping... It was awesome! Have never seen an audience go that wild 'n' crazy for any movie.
    This is inspiring! Causing this reaction amongst actual brave naval fighting men is uplifting, and lifts Spy to an elevated Bond-film status, IMO.


Sign In or Register to comment.