SKYFALL: It's official: ROGER DEAKINS is on board!

Comments

Update from Mr. Deakins: We will be based at Pinewood with some shooting overseas. I expect to be shooting on the Alexa - and I expect to have a camera with an optical viewfinder as well!

Source: http://www.deakinsonline.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1761
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2011 Posts: 13,350
    "Some shooting overseas". Maybe not as many locations are past films then? That's good news to me if true.

Also use of the Alexa means Bond is going digital, does it not? I hope this move works out for the best. It was bound to happen one day - and here it is.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 4,619
    Yesterday evening Roger Deakins talked at a British Society of Cinematographers event in London. There he said that he wouldn't have been interested in doing Bond 23 had it not been a character driven script.

(No, i was not there. :) )
    I hope all these new "complex characters" and "character driven scripts" pay off in the long run. So much has been done correctly with the last two films but still so much is wrong. I hope some of these faults can be righted with Bond 23.

Thank you for the update @PanchitoPistoles. Roll on November!
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 94
    Hmm. Isn't it yet another product placement? Just the owner of digital camera company donate money/camera or give discount on his product, and he write on page "my camera was used there, buy it!"? So bad that Bond which earn more than 300% on each film can't just throw this part of film industry to hell :-( . Good that there aren't advertising spaces of aston martin or Bond suit (but who knows?).

I like computers and digital data (even we are writing there thanks to it). But there is a little problem - the maximum resolution.

If You want to make next ultrahipersuperduper standard film from e.g 2012 Bond 23 in 2050 You will have a very little chance to improve it. There are not so good expanding algorithms and even if classic films have some borders like ISO of crystals that is really easier and possible to make bigger resolution.

And in digital You just get what You have - even if You tried to resize Your films from old digital cameras You know what I mean. But maybe there would be better resizing programs - but I don't believe it. Sadly or not we have XXI century...
    In the middle of May Roger Deakins talked at a British Society of Cinematographers event in London. The entire conversation is now online. Deakins talkes about Bond 23 from 35:42.

http://vimeo.com/channels/inconversation#25509722
  • My impression about digital is that there are two important components - filming and projecting. The digital cameras that they have now for filming are quite excellent (I'm told) but the *projection* equipment in theatres is what lets us down. The digital projecters often use 2K resolution which is about half the clarity of film.

As for shooting in digital but then converting that to film it makes sense as it takes the projectors out of the equation. But if you're projecting in digital then it wouldn't make a difference anyway, would it?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    At the movie theater I work at, we have one digital projector of 4K resolution... In one of the auditorium where the dimensions are optimal, the image is fantastic. The server's interface is really simple, so testing different stuff on it is really simple and fun !
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    My impression about digital is that there are two important components - filming and projecting. The digital cameras that they have now for filming are quite excellent (I'm told) but the *projection* equipment in theatres is what lets us down. The digital projecters often use 2K resolution which is about half the clarity of film.

As for shooting in digital but then converting that to film it makes sense as it takes the projectors out of the equation. But if you're projecting in digital then it wouldn't make a difference anyway, would it?
    as @DaltonCraig said...

the problem isn't shooting in digital - because almost everyone does it now..... but since the majority of theaters are refusing to upgrade all their projectors to digital - and keeping them standard film projectors, you lose a great deal of quality....
    ..... it's like watch watching a Blu Ray movie on a screen that is only 720p, not 1080p or higher - there's a noticeable difference..

besides, digital filmmaking is the more viable, and economic way to go - true, you may lose some that old magic that film creates - but in return, you aren't wasting your money on film stock - everything is saved on memory cards and portable hard drives - not to mention, editing digital is soooo much easier - than using that old torture device for splicing film together..... there are some editors who still use it, and are very efficient with it - god bless them... but i am a digital child, and prefer editing on my Mac lol :-D

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    on my Mac lol :-D

You're a good man after all !! :-bd
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    you damned right ;-) lol

i used to have a PC (and part of me for gaming reasons, wishes i still had one)... but once I got my Mac, i never looked back... I am a Mac for life guy now lol.

- once you go Mac you don't go back.. :-))
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,686
    I've never had a non-Mac computer... Hated it at school when they used horrible dell computers that seems to still run on a pre-historic OS... :-))
    PCs have their upsides...

but other than gaming - which i didn't do a whole lot of to begin with... there isn't anything that i can't do on a Mac, that i could on a PC..... plus, navigating on a Mac is 10x easier once your used to it...

i am a design and film guy - so this is the machine of my industry - it's pretty much a necessity to have one... and i'm glad i do :-)
    In the middle of May Roger Deakins talked at a British Society of Cinematographers event in London. The entire conversation is now online. Deakins talkes about Bond 23 from 35:42.

http://vimeo.com/channels/inconversation#25509722
    If Deakins was that far involved in May then by now he must nearly be in full on Bond mode, as August seems to be the time that happens and we have confirmation on digital at last. Deakins is our only chance for bringing Bond - and himself - home an Oscar, so I can't wait to see what he does.

Thanks for posting that @PanchitoPistoles.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 4,619
    Here is the trailer of "In Time", the first movie Deakins shot digitally. I think it looks amazing, so i have high hopes for the cinematography of Bond 23. :)

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/21/in-time-sdcc-panel-footage?show=H
    It does give me hope indeed, though Deakins is so good anyway we may get the most visually stunning film since Thunderball, which may well be my favourite of the lot.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 4,619
    Roger Deakins wrote on his official website today: I am in the UK about to start shooting a film [...]
    ( http://www.deakinsonline.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1854 )

The film he mentions is obviously Bond 23. It is not big news, but it's nice to know that it looks like the start of principal photography won't be delayed. (It happened with QOS:
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=5458&catid=106&t=mi6&s=news )

In other news, Daniel Craig confirms that Bond 23 won't be a 3D movie but it will be shot digitally (which is a first in the franchise):

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think Craig is right! 3D gives you a headache and he's perfectly correct about forced focus. He also just incepted a brilliant idea in my brain: a black and white 16 mm Bond flick. That would be nice. :P It could be mono and 1.33 : 1. Pretty much like CR54. ;;)

I like the fact that he takes part in the creative process behind the making of Bond 23. I just hope our James Bond will never take producing credit.
    Wow, great interview from Craig ! And I really agree with him !
    edited September 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Yes Craig is right on the money here and a solid person to have in the making of the films going forward. Humans have depth perception anyway so 3D seems so unnecessary. Digital should look good thanks to Deakins and there may well be no going back now for Bond 24 onwards. He better blow me away.

As for Deakins, why is he in the UK two months early? He could have waited a while longer, unless filming does begin in October. On second thoughts maybe it's more to do with discussions of how to shoot Bond 23.
  • oo7oo7
    edited August 2013 Posts: 1,068
    http://www.rogerdeakins.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2499&sid=d15c8f539fdda3698887ffec9f2f3d0b
    deakins teases at a return.
    his currently preping filming of
    this
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/10/angelina-jolie-and-top-class-dp-roger-deakins-go-scouting/
    to be released for december 2014.
    I imagine this will allow for bond 24 to being production in the autumn of 2014 to meet the 2015 release.
    I sincerely hope so ;-). Remember cinematographer Wally Pfister? He first did the cinematography for 'Batman Begins' (Oscar nomination) and 'The Dark Knight' (another Oscar nomination), before actually winning an Oscar for his 3rd Christopher Nolan-directed film 'Inception'.

If Roger Deakins is onboard again for Bond 24........everything is in motion for another 1 Billion Dollar Bond.....and a few Oscar nods :-).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not only is this an older link, but I saw this thread and instantly got excited. I thought Deakins was on board for 'Bond 24.'
  • oo7oo7
    Creasy47 wrote:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not only is this an older link, but I saw this thread and instantly got excited. I thought Deakins was on board for 'Bond 24.'
    Re: Bond 24
    Postby Roger » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:46 am

Funny expression that, 'bated breath"!

july tease creasy, the dates i provided sync with bond 24 2014 shoot...
    read between the lines
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well, older as in this was posted in another thread a few days ago. That's over two weeks ago, no need to be upset. I just got excited, is all.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    I slightly altered the thread title to avoid confusion, even if it's in the Skyfall section (I was a bit confused and surprised to ;) )
    Creasy47 wrote:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

you and me both Creasy47! :))
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

you and me both Creasy47! :))

Make that three gents. We've got a long way to go, perhaps a full year before Mr. Deakins and EON decide whether to renew their highly successful partnership or not. Not since Moonraker has a Bond film been as visually striking as SF. It's a feast for the eyes and senses.

In my mind, Deakins was the real 2013 Oscar winner for cinematography. It's more than enough proof that CGI is overrated and in many cases unnecessary. The Academy needs to find a way to fairly differentiate genius like Deakins from computer button pushing. Sometimes the old ways truly are the best :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I was so hyped and excited when I saw this thread title yesterday, then all the happy air whined out of me like a balloon going down. Geez. :(

I want to hear that Deakins is on board as the 2nd most important news for me, after Mendes. I hope it is NOT a year for us to wait to get Deakins confirmed for the next Bond film. He did stunning good work in Skyfall - I really hope nothing gets in the way of his return.

Yes, I think he deserved the Oscar. He did win other awards, didn't he? Anybody know? Skyfall was one of the most beautifully shot films, not just Bond films.
  • I sincerely hope so ;-). Remember cinematographer Wally Pfister? He first did the cinematography for 'Batman Begins' (Oscar nomination) and 'The Dark Knight' (another Oscar nomination), before actually winning an Oscar for his 3rd Christopher Nolan-directed film 'Inception'.

If Roger Deakins is onboard again for Bond 24........everything is in motion for another 1 Billion Dollar Bond.....and a few Oscar nods :-).

To be honest, I don't think the cinematographer plays much of a part in reaching the billion dollar mark. The average moviegoer probably has no clue who Roger Deakins is.