Ian Fleming had a cameo in FRWL ?

DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
edited November 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 260
wow I find this very interesting for some reason, I just stumbled upon this information a few minutes ago..

The other question is if Ian Fleming
actually has a cameo appearance in the
movie. Bryan Krofchok submitted the
following for issue #3c of the Ian Fleming
Foundation's "Shaken, Not Stirred"
newsletter in March 1995 (reprinted by
permission of the author):

"The curious notion of Fleming's cameo is
mentioned in Roger Ryan and Martin
Sterling's book of Bond trivia, 'Keeping The
British End Up', under the heading 'Brief
Encounter'. The scene in question pops up
when the Orient Express must stop for a truck
that has stalled across the tracks (originally,
part of Grant's escape route). Watch for an
oddly placed gentleman wearing a white top
and dark pants, who seems to be holding
some sort of walking stick.
"His mode of dress is suspiciously identical
to that of Ian Fleming's in the well known
photos of his visit to the set of the film
during shooting of the Orient Express. I say
that the man is oddly placed, because he
seems to have no part in the plot, and cannot
simply be brushed off as someone merely out
for a casual stroll due to the apparent
desolation of the surrounding area. I also
find it quite odd that although the train is
passing fairly close to him, the man has his
back to it and is looking the other way. "

http://www.hmss.com/afjb/FAQpage4.HTML#specific

This is very new to me, I'm going to definitely rewatch this scene and try to see if it really is him. If any of you guys (or gals, yes you German Lady) have any information on this I'd love to hear about it.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Every Bond fan knows this right after they learn that Bond's drink of choice is the martini. Fleming's cameo makes the already classic film a wonderful release. Nice to see Daddy up on the big screen in Connery's golden entry:
    http://www.jamesbond-shop.com/Ian_Fleming_FRWL_Cameo.jpg
  • DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
    nice picture Brady, thanks for posting. and this is news to me. I have to assume I am not the only one unaware of Fleming's cameo. Anyone els just finding this out?
  • I too had never heard of this, and having seen the picture I’m quite skeptical. In profile the man in question looks all wrong. He’s got dark hair, tanned skin, a round head and is short, while Fleming had graying hair, pale skin, an oblong head and was tall. The man in the picture was clearly just a local farmer who managed to get in some screen time while they filmed near his field. It’s not Fleming, it can't be...
    edited November 2012 Posts: 260
    Yea @SirSeanisBond I am skeptical as well. The mans hair looks too dark , the skin looks too tan and that doesn't look like something Fleming would wear. Unless they gave Fleming a wig with a odd outfit. But I highly doubt Fleming would wear a wig or make any extra effort to hide his presence. It just doesn't seem like his character. Is there anybody with alittle more clarification on this matter ?

:?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2012 Posts: 28,694
    We must consider that Fleming was close to death at time of filming, so who knows how drastic his appearance was.

Here is this to consider. This is a shot of Fleming on set (it appears), and he has the same get up on as the man in the shot:
    http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/15/37/10/3535390/3/628x471.jpg
    Yes the wardrobe is quite similar. I guess the only people who may know for sure are the Brocolli family and the movie set crew. I'm Hoping its him though
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I only found out earlier this year- and FRWL was possibly the first film I saw back in '94. Makes sense that Mr. Fleming should show up in one of the films. As mentioned above, the cameo just tops an already superb film (1st place IMO).
    This is old news. I thought everyone knew of Fleming's appearance in FRWL. Hell, I knew of this scene back in the 80's.
    I've heard of this too but has it actually ever been confirmed that the man is Fleming?
  • Looks more like my Mum than Ian Fleming
  • GSSGSS
    The 'From Russia With Love' entry on IMDB says:

'Some rumoured reports maintain that James Bond creator Ian Fleming makes small appearance in this film standing next to the Orient Express train. He is allegedly wearing grey trousers and a white jumper and stands on the platform to the right side of the train. Some sources deny that he appears"

I think that it would be great, if true, but personally my gut feeling tells me the man in that scene is not Ian Fleming.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 69
    "Yeah we've got a great idea for a cameo in this film, why not have the creator of this whole 'Bond' thing standing next to a freaking railway track?"

"That's a great idea, now what's that Mr Fleming's phone number?"
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 20
    I heard about this a few years ago. I think it's quite unlikely though - although the outfit is like that worn by Fleming in the photograph on set, the guy just doesn't look much like him. Also, the shot of the train roaring past was presumably filmed by the second unit and I can't imagine any of the principal cast were there. It seems unlikely that Fleming would have been visiting a location that plays such a minor role.
  • EmilioEmilio Palmyra, Nassau
    I guess we'll just never really know. I hope someday a journalist or reporter can ask Barbara Brocolli this question, but perhaps she is even unaware herself.

Its a mystery ..
  • It isn't him, clearly not...
    It isn't him, clearly not...
    You people are acting like this is a Bigfoot sighting! HAVE FAITH!!! ;)
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    It´s not a question of faith, it´s a question of asking somebody who were there!!

Fact: a) Ian Fleming was in the set; b) rumours of a cameo are very old; c) that shepherd is wearing some clothes very similar to the ones used by Fleming in that photo...

So... any real or white-on-black (written) confirmation? :-?
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,279
    9eor9e wrote:
    I heard about this a few years ago. I think it's quite unlikely though - although the outfit is like that worn by Fleming in the photograph on set, the guy just doesn't look much like him. Also, the shot of the train roaring past was presumably filmed by the second unit and I can't imagine any of the principal cast were there. It seems unlikely that Fleming would have been visiting a location that plays such a minor role.

Fleming visited the location when they were filming the train scene. You can see the photo here - http://www.combatreform.org/jamesbondfliesbytrain.htm

and here - http://michele.lv/archive/4/2012

He is wearing the exact same outfit as the man seen in the shot in question, including his walking stick, at the same location. I don't know what more proof you need.

More on Fleming's cameo here - http://www.bondmovies.com/creator.shtml

• gt007gt007 Station G
    The quality of this screencap is pretty low. He doesn't look like Fleming. Their clothes don't look the same either. Just similarly coloured.

Only one way to figure this out. We have to watch the Blu-ray.
    "Yeah we've got a great idea for a cameo in this film, why not have the creator of this whole 'Bond' thing standing next to a freaking railway track?"

"That's a great idea, now what's that Mr Fleming's phone number?"
    No need to ring him....he was already there at the location, and wearing the exact same outfit, and walking stick.....

8-|
    Looking at this blog here, he may have been wearing a hat - http://jakemcmillan.wordpress.com/tag/unsolved/
    you most remember that Fleming spent a lot of his life in Jamaica so when he was younger he would of had dark hair and darker skin i have seen the pic myself and believe it could be a younger fleming
    oorogers wrote:
    you most remember that Fleming spent a lot of his life in Jamaica so when he was younger he would of had dark hair and darker skin i have seen the pic myself and believe it could be a younger fleming
    Younger?? It was taken just before he died!!!

I don't know. We have what looks to be the same clothes and matching cane, but the face just isn't clear enough to make out for sure. What are the odds though that someone else was on set that day that had the same exact clothes on as Fleming??
  • Inconclusive but I would prefer to believe it is him. If any one deserved a cameo it had to be him. He is Bond's literary Father afterall.
    I don't know. We have what looks to be the same clothes and matching cane, but the face just isn't clear enough to make out for sure. What are the odds though that someone else was on set that day that had the same exact clothes on as Fleming??
    and carrying a walking stick......

One thing is sure. Fleming´s walking stick is not the one in the film. Fleming´s is really shorter...
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,279
    ggl007 wrote:
    One thing is sure. Fleming´s walking stick is not the one in the film. Fleming´s is really shorter...
    Disagree 100%. The stick looks pretty much the same length. Take a look at the angles of the photos again. The only shot with the full length of the stick (Fleming sat in front of the train), and the bottom of the stick disappears between the tracks.

Plus, it is very difficult to really figure out how long the stick is in the movie shot too.

ggl007 wrote:
    Disagree 100%. The stick looks pretty much the same length. Take a look at the angles of the photos again. The only shot with the full length of the stick (Fleming sat in front of the train), and the bottom of the stick disappears between the tracks.

Plus, it is very difficult to really figure out how long the stick is in the movie shot too.

Here you have two photos: http://casaforte.blogspot.it/2012/11/who-is-this-man-ian-fleming-cameo-in.html
    In Fleming´s, he is sitting on the stick. In the other the stick is near his elbow...