Can You Be Totally Objective?

2»

Comments

• You Only Live Twice is a childhood favorite. It's of course over the top. Indeed it's the Bond that is most satirized in Austin Powers. FRWL is the best espionage and spy movie in the Bond series. You Only Live Twice is my favorite Bond "adventure". It features the best score and song too. And that great continuous helicopter shot with Bond running on the roof punching out henchmen with Barry's score playing. My favorite Bond moment in any film.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    robotsrule wrote:
    You Only Live Twice is a childhood favorite. It's of course over the top. Indeed it's the Bond that is most satirized in Austin Powers. FRWL is the best espionage and spy movie in the Bond series. You Only Live Twice is my favorite Bond "adventure". It features the best score and song too. And that great continuous helicopter shot with Bond running on the roof punching out henchmen with Barry's score playing. My favorite Bond moment in any film.

Now THAT is what I call a Bond moment. Pure unadulterated pleasure. How I dream of the modern era giving us something as balletic, absurd and wonderful.
  • Getafix wrote:

Now THAT is what I call a Bond moment. Pure unadulterated pleasure. How I dream of the modern era giving us something as balletic, absurd and wonderful.

Glad someone agrees. :)
  • objectively speaking SF, QoS, CR, GE, are well constructed movies, though a well constructed movie does not necessarily equal entertainment in my case i don't like SF.

Thing about bond movies and even the lessor ones there may be a moment or scene that will elevate it, Lewis Gilberts films are prime example, there are dodgey moments in all his films from the series though equally moments of brilliance. The second half of TSWLM i find quite dull, though pre lotus emerging from the ocean there are some genuinely brilliant scenes.

I always look to give an objective view on all things and to respect everyone else's views too. It is the least we should all do.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Definitely not the best film in the series, but still very entertaining, IMO.
    I think parts of it are entertaining, and I love Pleasance as Blofeld, but much of it was just too over-the-top and silly for me.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @robotsrule and @Getfix - I absolutely love that moment. Visually stunning, and the score by John "The Master" Barry. Bliss. Perfect.

Another little scene comes from another Gilbert film, Spy.

Bond is walking around Cairo, prior to meeting Fekkesh. Bond is framed by a doorway, minaret is in the background, and Bond is silhouetted, all accompanied by Marvin Hamlisch's small, yet brilliant, cue. Perfect.
    my favourite is The Man With The Golden Gun, The best FILM is The Spy Who Loved Me (Roger Moore Fanboy here.)
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Dr. No:

It's a lean, well written, well paced adventure, that introduces and establishes character clearly and from the very first scenes you see them in their personalities come across: "Bond, James Bond" after a flick of the lighter. The mystery of the plot is established early on, and the main storyline is laid out in smooth successive sequences, reaching to the hero's turning point, final showdown and conclusion. There is not a lot of fat to the story, which keeps the pace throughout the film.

Objectively speaking, the film also has stunning photography in full color, breakthrough editing with the use of jump cuts and tight to-the-point, yet atmospheric direction, all of which were ahead of their time.

Obviously there are elements such as the over-dubbing and sound effects which don't hold up to the modern films. But I don't think you can fault the film for that: the technology wasn't as far along.

For the record, DN is probably my 5th favorite Bond film.

FRWL is up there too, but I feel like the last 30 minutes go on a bit long after the major fight has already ended. CR suffers the same problem but even worse. The major showdown of the film is the card game, yet there feels like there's a whole other story tacked on at the end.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Dr. No:

It's a lean, well written, well paced adventure

I wasn't really considering DN... but now that you've put forth the argument, I can see choosing it. Hmmmm, may have to reconsider my choice of CR... :-?