A place for disappointed skyfall viewers

Comments

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    Getafix wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @jasonbourne, and you turned right around and stated your own opinion. Don't be so overdramatic and hypocritical. A film is released, people have their opinion on it - like it, love it, etc. - and that's it. There is no fact to it, aside from how you felt about it. It is a fact that I enjoyed SF, and it is a fact that you did not.

Don't bash someone for having an opinion when you give such broad, irrelevant arguments and try to twist them into facts. It's pathetic.

Well, but unlike acoppola I admit that I am stating my opinion. So actually your criticism should go to acoppola, not to me.

And I am not stating my opinion? Coming from Mr "JasonBourne LTK is the bottom of the barrel because I say so", is very rich indeed!

I am more than aware that some Bond fans would probably prefer a Doctor Evil for a villain judging by the dismissal of Silva's portrayal not being evidently cartoony enough.

I think you might be distorting what people are saying. Silva is the most cartoony villain since DAD. I think what at least some poeple are saying on here is that SF is actually too cartoony. Characters who fall through the sky and don't die; plots and evil plans that even Goldfinger and Drax would have had trouble dreaming up (let alone understanding); man-eating lizards; overtly gay and disfigured villain; the DB5 (again); tired chase sequences; M having trust issues with Bond; Q jokes; not especially funny one-liners...

I think the problem that I (and a few others) have is that far from feeling like a new and exciting development in the DC-era reboot, SF feels like the biggest tick-box exercise since the Brosnan era.

For me, the supposedly clever story about M was simply not well written or engaging enough to drag me out of my stupor as the film anti-climaxed in a hail of machine gun fire, explosions and plodding through waterlogged moorland. The film is bogged down in a generic Purvis and Wade plot and script from start to finish.

Silva was a very sinister villain and a disturbing one. In old Bond films, I was never afraid of Blofeld. Silva is a man who stops at nothing to get revenge on M. Everyone in his way suffers even if they are innocent of what happened to him.

I actually think SF was the antithesis of the tick box exercise. In fact out of Craig's 3 films, it stood out as being a huge departure from what we have seen before.

Watching CR again after SF, I see CR looking as the more traditional Bond film with all of the Campbellisms making sure we still had that sense of familiarity.

SF trounces the Brosnan era by a wide margin for true depth. SF did not wave at the audience saying "I hope you like me!?". In fact I was taken aback by how brave the Mendes direction was. If Campbell was Tim Burton, then Mendes was Christopher Nolan.

In SF, when you see people dying, you feel it more. I loved how in the opening Bond seeing his colleagues dead and one dying. It is so well set up for a no compromise thriller. A beautiful reflection of duty having no sweethearts to quote Koskov from TLD.

Had SF been more in the TWINE vein as in a pseudo deep movie, then I would be the first to criticise it. If you start a film out as no compromise then all I ask is that you end it as such rather than bowing to the demands of the populism that infected some of the series.

In old Bond films, I was never afraid of Blofeld.

What about in FRWL? He's pretty terrifying there (and we don't even see his face).

Charles Grey scared me too ;)
    I thought SF was pretty much a traditional Bond film, compared to CR and QOS, just with a few Batman/Bourne things thrown in and the old references did feel to me like "see, we told you all your favrouite bits would be back".

Telly Salvalas and his roll neck sweaters were pretty scary!
    BAIN123 wrote:

What about in FRWL? He's pretty terrifying there (and we don't even see his face).

Yes but he has more of a cameo role in that. Red Grant is the real threat.

Charles Grey is a brilliant actor in all seriousness. But wow was he campy.
    I tell you what, he terrified me when he was all in drag stroking his..:))
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I actually thought Silva had great potential and he is built up quite nicely, but after the island scenes the writing just allowed the character to shrivel. There is no interesting resolution of the relationship with Severine - we never see them interact to get a sense of the hold he has over her. She is discarded like numerous other pieces of unresolved plot/character that were never properly thought through. Neither do we get a really meaty scene with Silva facing down and confronting M - the Silence of the Lambs glass box scene feels like a prelude to something much more substantial that never arrives. Instead, Silva just becomes another maniacal, cackling loon with no decent lines and very retro reliance on a facial disfigurement.

Come on - are you serious in that you found him scary?
  • Acoppola, I am not the one who has explicitly have said that my opinions are facts.
    Getafix wrote:
    I actually thought Silva had great potential and he is built up quite nicely, but after the island scenes the writing just allowed the character to shrivel. He just becomes another maniacal, cackling loon with no decent lines and very retro reliance on a facial disfigurement.

Come on - are you serious in that you found him scary?

He was scary because what lay beneath this man was disturbing. He was evil. It was what you did not see that made him unsettling. He was invisible too, if we take into account his computer hacking of MI6.

And what he did like putting agents names on Youtube shows he is vindictive and means what he says he will do.

This was a sadistic villain who totally lost his humanity because of his hatred for M. I also think the cyanide disfigurement added to his motivation.

His rage increased after he meets M again after all those years. Up until that point he is more composed. So his maniacalness increases for the third act now he has seen his enemy after years. All the emotion of hate came to the boil in the end.

Any spy story that involves hacking and Youtube is going to send me to sleep I'm afraid. It takes me back to all those dodgy 1980s teen hacker movies. I think it's the first time hacking has featured in a blockbuster for quite some time. It is a very easy way for writers to avoid developing interesting plotlines - you just explain everything away by having the boffins 'hack' it all off-screen. As such, the only surprise is that Purvis and Wade hadn't done it already.

Need an explosion at MI6? We'll have Silva hack it. Need Silva to ingeniously escape capture? Don't bother - we'll just hack him out. Need Silva to track Bond down to Scotland? Lay a trail of cyber breadcrumbs that (of course) only Silva can hack. And so on.

I was pretty hacked off by the end, I can tell you.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,333
    I think you're forgetting Die Hard 4.0, @Getafix in 2007, that featured a lot of hacking.
    Getafix wrote:
    Any spy story that involves hacking and Youtube is going to send me to sleep I'm afraid. It takes me back to all those dodgy 1980s teen hacker movies. I think it's the first time hacking has featured in a blockbuster for quite some time. It is a very easy way for writers to avoid developing interesting plotlines - you just explain everything away by having the boffins 'hack' it all off-screen. As such, the only surprise is that Purvis and Wade hadn't done it already.

Need an explosion at MI6? We'll have Silva hack it. Need Silva to ingeniously escape capture? Don't bother - we'll just hack him out. Need Silva to track Bond down to Scotland? Lay a trail of cyber breadcrumbs that (of course) only Silva can hack. And so on.

I think the bombing of MI6 was done by inside men. I don't remember them saying MI6 blows up because of a computer hack. Someone had to lay the explosives for sure.

Being an ex-00, Silva would have many contacts and always know someone on the inside. 00's are shown as highly resourceful in the new reboot.

And in the spy world some men can be bought for cash. That is true to life so I assume Silva used his acquired wealth for such an end. His whole purpose was to punish MI6.

As for Silva finding Skyfall. I think Bond left enough clues knowing Silva's hacking supremacy, as to where he will be. I mean if Silva had MI6's records of Bond hacked then he would know Bond's whereabouts.

Bond set is as a trap to make Silva think he was taking M into hiding and playing dumb.

• RC7RC7
    edited November 2012 Posts: 10,512
    Getafix wrote:
    It is a very easy way for writers to avoid developing interesting plotlines - you just explain everything away by having the boffins 'hack' it all off-screen.

I have to agree with you on this. I was preparing for some kind of cyber-crime element having read scraps of information but I really thought they'd do their utmost to make it believable, or a subtle feature.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:

Same here.

Me: "OH GOD!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THE CHARACTER?!?!"
    acoppola wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I think the bombing of MI6 was done by inside men. I don't remember them saying MI6 blows up because of a computer hack. Someone had to lay the explosives for sure.

Being an ex-00, Silva would have many contacts and always know someone on the inside. 00's are shown as highly resourceful in the new reboot.

And in the spy world some men can be bought for cash. That is true to life so I assume Silva used his acquired wealth for such an end. His whole purpose was to punish MI6.

As for Silva finding Skyfall. I think Bond left enough clues knowing Silva's hacking supremacy, as to where he will be. I mean if Silva had MI6's records of Bond hacked then he would know Bond's whereabouts.

Bond set is as a trap to make Silva think he was taking M into hiding and playing dumb.

I thought Bond explicitly mentions Silva hacking into MI6 to set off a gas explosion when he's being interogated by Silva on the island?

I might be wrong - perhaps I read that on here.

How on earth you hack a gas explosion I don't know, but I know a peroxide-haired man who does.
    bondsum wrote:
    I think you're forgetting Die Hard 4.0, @Getafix in 2007, that featured a lot of hacking.

It must be back in vogue. Everything comes back into fashion eventually. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2012 Posts: 10,512
    acoppola wrote:

People keep saying this. Silva is not an ex- 00.
    Weren't OO's always highly resourceful?

My favourite non-Bond 00 is 009 in Octopussy. A great opening to a great Bond film!
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote:
    Weren't OO's always highly resourceful?

You'd have thought so. I think somebody is getting a little carried away with the reboot line.
    I too recall there being a mention of a gas explosion at the MI6 building and that it wasn't an inside job. If it was then there would have been a mention of a security breach from within. And I don't recall Silva ever being referred to as an ex-00. I thought he was an agent working in communications surveillance at Station H in Hong Kong or something like that?
  • RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote:
    I too recall there being a mention of a gas explosion at the MI6 building and that it wasn't an inside job. If it was then there would have been a mention of a security breach from within. And I don't recall Silva ever being referred to as an ex-00. I thought he was an agent working in communications surveillance at Station H in Hong Kong or something like that?

Correct. It's clear he worked for M in HK. P+W even stated in an interview he wasn't a 00.

Ahh. P+W. How they work wonders with their dull little back stories.

Their imprint runs through SF like a stick of rock.
    I find that more and more defenses of SF rely on made up stuff as Silva being a former 00, I must have fallen asleep because I must have missed that.

SIlva started off as being a pretty scary character but once he left his London cage he became a tad too fantastic for my taste, how he lured 007 into the sewers only to have a trap ready which consisted of a crashing tube, spectacular but a bit farfetched. (and DIE hard did do it better and with a more plausible reasoning imho). It then turns out that SIlva has planned everything ahead even his own capture which is a bit unbelieveable as well and people complain about an invisible reasoning.

While I found the endgame actually a vast improvement on the previous two movies some things like the helicopter with music (lifted from another movie where it actually made sense) annoyed me as well as the large amount of thugs and the total absence of MI6 personal during the whole shebang. They were not even there to defend their boss.

SF does start nicely and after the senseless dying of Severine and the disgusting remark by 007 the movie loses its logic and turns into a collection of improbabilities which look nice but accepts that the average viewer does not engage his intelligence at any moment wondering what the heck is happening.
  • The hacking isn't something I liked the sound of on paper but I thought it was done fairly well (although I think Die Hard did it better, it was fun seeing Mcclane try and stop a cyber terrorist while not knowing sh*t about computers).

I think the films might be becoming too tech reliant though. Q is a computer whizz now and Bond almost always has his earpiece. For Bond 24, I'd like it if Bond didn't have an earpiece and he didn't talk to MI6 during action scenes.
    The hacking isn't something I liked the sound of on paper but I thought it was done fairly well (although I think Die Hard did it better, it was fun seeing Mcclane try and stop a cyber terrorist while not knowing sh*t about computers).

I think the films might be becoming too tech reliant though. Q is a computer whizz now and Bond almost always has his earpiece. For Bond 24, I'd like it if Bond didn't have an earpiece and he didn't talk to MI6 during action scenes.

The irony is that once they get into the DB5 they step back to 1964... and all modern technology disappears. I guess they are in Scotland. Bit backward up there.

It's all very convenient of course. When they are in Turkey and London we can't escape the ear pieces, hacking, and general gee-whizzery of the tech nerds, and then when the 'plot' requires that that stuff is no longer convenient, it all just magically drops away.

I suppose one theory could be that the DB5 is actually the logical next step up from DAD's invisible car - a time machine - and the Scotland scenes are actually set in the past (this would also neatly explain how Bond got the machine guns fitted). I am sure a time machine would be no challenge for Silva.
    Getafix wrote:
    The hacking isn't something I liked the sound of on paper but I thought it was done fairly well (although I think Die Hard did it better, it was fun seeing Mcclane try and stop a cyber terrorist while not knowing sh*t about computers).

The irony is that once they get into the DB5 they step back to 1964... and all modern technology disappears. I guess they are in Scotland. Bit backward up there.

It's all very convenient of course. When they are in Turkey and London we can't escape the ear pieces, hacking, and general gee-whizzery of the tech nerds, and then when the 'plot' requires that that stuff is no longer convenient, it all just magically drops away.

I suppose one theory could be that the DB5 is actually the logical next step up from DAD's invisible car - a time machine - and the Scotland scenes are actually set in the past (this would also neatly explain how Bond got the machine guns fitted). I am sure a time machine would be no challenge for Silva.

I totally respect your opinion @Getafix But I see no need to take everything so literally in the film. The end scene was there to show that you cannot beat Silva with technology but through old fashioned determination and strategy.

As for some of the so called plot holes or fantasticalness like the tube train crashing through on Bond. That scene was a nod to the past and the larger than life scope of Bond films. It is also there to add an unexpected surprise and I look into it no further than that.

Mendes did a wonderful blend of making everything real looking whilst adding elements of the unreal. Look, the way I see it, in the real world, Silva would have executed Bond to hit M even harder and make her demise even worse. But you cannot have that in Bond.

If we want to nit pick at every tiny thing, then we have to do the same with most Bond films. I always thought the villain never killing Bond when he had a chance is unreal, but I accept that for Bond films.

SF is a wonderful mixture of the literal and the symbolic. That is my understanding. But at least it achieved keeping the tension up throughout and giving us a brand new look at Bond's world.

Symbolic some may ask? Well, when the DB5 is blown to pieces, to me that is the final goodbye to the first era. Almost like a symbol of the older Bond not being able to compete now with the advances of modern cinema. That is how I interpreted it and nothing more. This was not any car being destroyed but an icon of the series old days of glory. In other words, once gone, you cannot recreate the past. The DB5 is destroyed forever and no Q can rebuild it when nothing is left.

I personally think the film was great i really enjoyed it, and if you didn't enjoy it that is fine because everyone is entitled to like or dislike what they want. I may be wrong but some of the things people disliked about it were explained in the film, for example people have said the whole plot was about Silva getting revenge on M so why didn't he just blow her office up with her in there at the start? In the film it explained he wanted to see her and look her in the face and show her what she made him and he wanted to humililate MI6. Another thing i hear people complaining about is the hard drive which contained the list which was the object that bond was trying to retrieve in the PTS and that the film just forgets about it, but i dont think it does because on the island when it looks like Bond captures Silva(it was part of Silva's plan) they get the hard drive off his computer then and M even says this after the interrogation scene. She then says what else is on his computer and that is when Silva escapes so the hard drive has been recovered. Another thing i hear people not liking is the fact that when Bond takes M to Skyfall that he should've set a trap and had back up but M said after the courtroom scene when her and Bond are in the car that too many people were dying because of her so if he was using her as bait she only wanted it to be the two of them. I am not trying to change anyones view on the film because like i said if you didn't enjoy it that is fine but i just wanted to say that this was how i interrupted it.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 154
    I'm a nearly 50-year old life-long die-hard Bond fan who was incredibly disappointed by this 50-year anniversary gift. I've written a very long and detailed criticism of this movie that places it in the context of not only the Craig era but also within the context of the entire Bond history -- making lots of references to other Bond movies. It will be of interest to true Bond fans. I'll upload that in moment. First, I'll upload my shorter review for those who won't wish to read my full "exposition".
    HERE'S MY SHORT REVIEW

All-in-all, "Skyfall" is not a Bond movie but a pathetic Batman movie. If you want to see a better Batman movie, see "The Dark Night". If you want to feel the creative fun and sense of adventure that you used to experience at a Bond movie, see any of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. If you want to see an actual good new Bond movie, see "Mission Impossible IV". As for "Skyfall" itself, wait for someone to upload the pre-credit set-piece and title animation (along with the tilte song) to You Tube and watch those there. You'll then have seen all you need to see of this mess.

This is our 50 year anniversary gift for all our support over the years -- and the new formula!? Old formula -- the plot and story must never make sense and we'll have great panache-laden action set-pieces to hide this fact. New formula -- the plot and story must never make sense and we'll have scenes with great acting to hide this fact -- and we'll throw the action set-pieces out (the baby with the bath water).

This Bond movie had pretensions of being taken as a serious thriller. It has an academy award winning director at its helm and is filled with top tier actor and actresses. It has a celebrated writing team. The producers have publicly bragged about this script and all the time (YEARS) that they had to perfect it. All this and they give us a story no more cohesive than that of "Moonraker" -- but with none of that movie's stunts, sets, or special effects to hide the craters. It's enough to make one forget one's complaints about double-taking pigeons, gondola-car hybrids, and henchman who fall in love with teenage girls half their height.

I appreciate the great performances, drama and cinematography. However, If "Skyfall" is supposed to be the new direction of Bond -- all the dumb story and plot faults we've come to expect of the franchise but none of the special effects, action, thrills, stunts, gadgets, sets, panache and fun -- the series will never make it close to another 50 years. Happy Birthday anyway Mr. Bond. You may have done nothing for us lately but we appreciate your cumulative service. Now, I'll stop "expecting you" as you, yourself, have become an "uninvited guest". You've committed an unforgivable sin. You bored me.

James Bond is dead. Long live Mission Impossible.
    acoppola wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I totally respect your opinion @Getafix But I see no need to take everything so literally in the film. The end scene was there to show that you cannot beat Silva with technology but through old fashioned determination and strategy.

As for some of the so called plot holes or fantasticalness like the tube train crashing through on Bond. That scene was a nod to the past and the larger than life scope of Bond films. It is also there to add an unexpected surprise and I look into it no further than that.

Mendes did a wonderful blend of making everything real looking whilst adding elements of the unreal. Look, the way I see it, in the real world, Silva would have executed Bond to hit M even harder and make her demise even worse. But you cannot have that in Bond.

If we want to nit pick at every tiny thing, then we have to do the same with most Bond films. I always thought the villain never killing Bond when he had a chance is unreal, but I accept that for Bond films.

SF is a wonderful mixture of the literal and the symbolic. That is my understanding. But at least it achieved keeping the tension up throughout and giving us a brand new look at Bond's world.

Symbolic some may ask? Well, when the DB5 is blown to pieces, to me that is the final goodbye to the first era. Almost like a symbol of the older Bond not being able to compete now with the advances of modern cinema. That is how I interpreted it and nothing more. This was not any car being destroyed but an icon of the series old days of glory. In other words, once gone, you cannot recreate the past. The DB5 is destroyed forever and no Q can rebuild it when nothing is left.

I completely get what you're saying and the way you describe the film it makes me wish that I had actually enjoyed it. I see what Mendes was trying to do and I applaud the intentions. I just think he was poorly served by the script.

The film, as you describe it, is perhaps the Bond film that I've long dreamed of seeing and which I had hoped SF would be. But for me - and obviously this is personal and subjective - it did not actually do any of the things that you described. To be honest, although I found the non sequiturs annoying, this was not the reason I did not enjoy it. It was because I found the characters and plot uninteresting and the script, score and direction bland.

It is a funny situation to be in. I think I share the same aspirations for Bond that most DC fans do - to see EON take the character in new and interesting directions, sometimes but not always darker than before. But this film just fell totally flat for me. Any way, as I've said before, it's basically my loss if I wasn't feeling what most others were when watching it.

If I'm entirely honest, I do have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that DC is not quite as good an actor as he perhaps believes himself to be and others make him out to be. I think after Brosnan it was such a relief to have someone take the role seriously and inject some life into it. But I have always had this sneaking sense that Craig is never really going to quite convince me the way that Connery, Moore or Dalton did in their different ways. For me he just lacks a little something that would make me care for his character. I've noticed this in other films, most recently the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, which I also found strangely flat and disappointing. Perhaps this is for another thread...
    gklein wrote:
    HERE'S MY SHORT REVIEW

All-in-all, "Skyfall" is not a Bond movie but a pathetic Batman movie. If you want to see a better Batman movie, see "The Dark Night". If you want to feel the creative fun and sense of adventure that you used to experience at a Bond movie, see any of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. If you want to see an actual good new Bond movie, see "Mission Impossible IV". As for "Skyfall" itself, wait for someone to upload the pre-credit set-piece and title animation (along with the tilte song) to You Tube and watch those there. You'll then have seen all you need to see of this mess.

This is our 50 year anniversary gift for all our support over the years -- and the new formula!? Old formula -- the plot and story must never make sense and we'll have great panache-laden action set-pieces to hide this fact. New formula -- the plot and story must never make sense and we'll have scenes with great acting to hide this fact -- and we'll throw the action set-pieces out (the baby with the bath water).

This Bond movie had pretensions of being taken as a serious thriller. It has an academy award winning director at its helm and is filled with top tier actor and actresses. It has a celebrated writing team. The producers have publicly bragged about this script and all the time (YEARS) that they had to perfect it. All this and they give us a story no more cohesive than that of "Moonraker" -- but with none of that movie's stunts, sets, or special effects to hide the craters. It's enough to make one forget one's complaints about double-taking pigeons, gondola-car hybrids, and henchman who fall in love with teenage girls half their height.

I appreciate the great performances, drama and cinematography. However, If "Skyfall" is supposed to be the new direction of Bond -- all the dumb story and plot faults we've come to expect of the franchise but none of the special effects, action, thrills, stunts, gadgets, sets, panache and fun -- the series will never make it close to another 50 years. Happy Birthday anyway Mr. Bond. You may have done nothing for us lately but we appreciate your cumulative service. Now, I'll stop "expecting you" as you, yourself, have become an "uninvited guest". You've committed an unforgivable sin. You bored me.

James Bond is dead. Long live Mission Impossible.

You make it sound like a low point in the series. Audiences and critics don't agree, nor are they bored by this movie. Word-of-mouth is sensational and propelling the movie to break records.

I don't believe that the acting is so great that it "hides" the plot holes. You are implying that critics and audiences are somehow too stupid to notice. Yes it had plot holes, but art or entertainment doesn't have to make absolute sense. Film making and story telling can't remain in a straight-jacket.

A painting can be photographic in its execution or a few bold brushstrokes. Brushstrokes without intricate detail can be used to create a narrative on a canvass, through the printed word or through cinema. It doesn't have to be spelled out precisely - that may be the convention, but Bond is fantasy - let them take their liberties and break conventional rules. Open your eyes to what is on the screen and not what is not or you will be bored, for a man who is bored of Bond is bored of life.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 3,168
    @Sharky
    There really needn't be a whole lot of logic in a Bond movie, IMO. And plot holes are fine with me, too. The fact that Silva's plan - which was "years in the making" - didn't make a lot of sense, when his goal was merely to confront M and kill her, doesn't really bother me.

What bothers me though, is that I found much of the movie very unoriginal and boring. It's like I've felt I have seen most of it before, just done better. So it didn't grab my attention the way that CR did, which largely used Fleming's highly original story arc.

@gklein
    Wonderful review. I don't agree with everything you are saying (like calling the crossedited Tennyson-scene boring, for me it was one of the few highlights of the movie), but nitpicking aside, this is probably one of the best analyses of SF I have read. Don't forget to post it here:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4494/skyfall-2012#Item_12
    I especially like this part:
    gklein wrote:
    I've often thought that the pre-credit sequence should not be the very best set-piece of a Bond movie -- though it should be one of the best of the movie. (...) Many Bond movies make the mistake of never topping the pre-credit action. Worse, more still have very weak finales. Well, in "Skyfall", the pre-credit set-piece is all we get. Period.

"For Your Eyes Only" is a great example of a Bond movie with a large number of set-pieces held together by an engaging, down-to-earth, realistic story with a few twists
This discussion has been closed.