50 years from now, will revisionist Bond historians upgrade or downgrade various actors who played

edited October 2012 in Actors Posts: 224
Bond? Or will the prevailing view of each stay the same over time? I think some will be upgraded and thus more appreciated, while others won't have the needle moved at all. I don't think that history will judge any of them worse.

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    What do you mean, exactly? If you mean will Connery still be marked the best Bond by some, probably. I don't think any percentage changes will occur among the Bonds' popularity.
    I think Dan Craig will be sitting pretty at the top well before then.
    As always it depends on who does carry the crown at that time.

OR

If the serie has run its course it will be a more sensible vision on the strenghts and legacies that we can often not see as clear yet.
    What do you mean, exactly? If you mean will Connery still be marked the best Bond by some, probably. I don't think any percentage changes will occur among the Bonds' popularity.

For example: Lazenby is not, today, highly regarded as Bond. In 50 years, will his stature increase?

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    In the future where stoic mannerisms and concealed emotions will be the way of the day, Lazenby will be seen as the ultimate Bond actor, Brosnan will be regarded as a retro-joke due to his 'emo' faux pas concerning Paris' death in TND. Bond movies of the future will 100% CGI and cost next to nothing to produce, hence the hundreds of them annually. They will all star a Lazenby CGA.
  • I think that as more actors portray Bond the less "special" the earlier ones become. Take a look at Doctor Who - with 11 actors having played the role (on TV, anyway) the critical standing of the early ones have changed immensely.

Two things will likely happen IMHO. Connery will become a little diminished to some people (his stock will rise with some as he will always be the original, or template if you will, and the longer the series lasts then the better he looks for having started it). For quite a few he will be less special as more and more different interpretations of Bond come along many people will have less rigid ideas of what truly constitutes "Bond".

The other thing that can happen is that a fresh, new take on Bond can illuminate the shortcomings of a previous actor. Dalton's youth and darker interpretation made Moore's version look even sillier and older; Craig's physical prowess and acting chops made Brosnan look lightweight in comparison. Had Moore been followed with Brosnan, or Brosnan with, say, Hugh Jackman we likely would have different opinions (assuming that Jackman played it closer to Brosnan than Craig). If Craig is followed by someone who has a similar level of acting ability but is also able to give a starmaking, fun performance that the general audience loves then Craig may seem diminished in comparison as well.

However it would be difficult to rewrite history as the internet will be a huge repository of information about how the actors were received in their time. So I can't see anyone credibly getting away with saying that Brosnan wasn't popular with the general public, or that Craig wasn't found to be attractive by women.
    So I can't see anyone credibly getting away with saying that Brosnan wasn't popular with the general public, or that Craig wasn't found to be attractive by women.
    Part of writing history is hiding the truth; adjustments will be made in a subtle way to enable continued popular franchise success in years after you and I are gone.
    Dalton & Craig got Bond, the rest after will be comic book adaptations IMO.
    It's the way of things.
    Popular opinion is always manufactured anyway, it doesn't really matter who is supposed to be best or which actor supposedly understands Bond more (even though he is a fictional character), if somebody personally thinks Pierce Brosnan is the best then good for them!
    I think that as more actors portray Bond the less "special" the earlier ones become. Take a look at Doctor Who - with 11 actors having played the role (on TV, anyway) the critical standing of the early ones have changed immensely.

The first four - Harntnell, Troughton, Pertwee and Tom Baker - their reputation is still pretty good. The ones in the middles ie 5-7 reputations are variable. But Matt Smith, like Craig will carry a good reputation for a long while.

• I expect Timothy Dalton will be moved up the list. If he'd done a few more, he might have even been top.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I disagree. I think Dalton will barely be mentioned at all, maybe because he only made two.
    The wider spread opinions will come from the critics of the day, who will not have been born when TD was Bond. So they will consider Connery, Moore, maybe Craig, any other long term Bond and whoever is the Bond of that day.
  • @NicNac - surely quality of films not quantity will dictate how an actor is perceived? In my opinion (and just my opinion), Timothy Dalton made one good Bond and one excellent Bond, and Roger Moore made one very good Bond, one excellent Bond, one average Bond and four bottom-of-the-table Bonds. So any self-respecting critic should have to take the entire canon into account.
    thamesider wrote:
    I expect Timothy Dalton will be moved up the list. If he'd done a few more, he might have even been top.
    Connery was very good, but he wasn't the best actor, and his interpretation of the character was rather surface, but he gets a good rep from defining cinema Bond first. Future reviewers won't give a damn who did the role first, and their reviews won't be dictated to in any way by nostalgia. They will simply state that all the actors were very good at what they did, but that only Dalton & Craig made the character of Bond feel like a real person...
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    In a few years from now when there's a new Bond, if we follow what's happened with Brosnan and now Craig, the new Bond will be called the best since Connery and the past Bond will get bashed.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    I remember when I got into the series Brosnan was seen as "the best since Connery" because he was a mix of all the previous actors and the current Bond, thus the most "modern". As soon as he got axed and started badmouthing the producers, people began railing on him and even moreso once CR was announced.

Judging from the critical reanalysis Dalton has experience just in the last 5 years or so, I think he would hold up even moreso that Connery. I'm just glad that other actors besides Sean are now actually eligible for being the "best Bond ever".
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 643
    Well since a certain amount of Stalinist revisionism has occurred on the Roger Moore years already (rather unfairly imo), I can only see his stock rising.

I think once the dust settles on the Craig era, popular consensus will see him ranked third behind Moore and Connery.

It's all useless though because everyone's different and has different tastes and opinions, no one can generalise it fairly
  • GoldenballGoldenball United States
    thamesider wrote:
    Roger Moore made. . . four bottom-of-the-table Bonds.

The writers always say they're writing for this or that actor- I stopped going to see the Bond films when I saw where they were taking the series after watching LALT. George Martin, as if.

I would have preferred more Lazenby, I swear it. I don't think the movies would have been so bad- I can watch an actor grow into a part if the movies don't suck.

By the time AVTAK came out, I was missing Bond and went to see it and still couldn't stand RM as Bond but the movie had Walken (again, the blonde-hair thing) in it, and Barry did a great job on the music. Never heard of A-Ha at the time but the theme was smashing.

In fifty years writers will be repeating the same stuff that you see now. Archives have been un-locked, wharehouses breached, all the best trinkets have been sold at auction, what will be left, it'll all be in private collections.

Now, will the series be around for another fifty, and another six, maybe seven actors playing the part, some of those actors not yet born?
  • Lazenby certainly should have made the sequel to OHMSS, whatever it would have been. Perhaps with a bit of continuity in the lead role we wouldn't have got a film so wilfully dismissive of the events of the previous one. (I know that he's going after Blofeld at the start for revenge but really, how many times is Tracy mentioned after that? Why don't we hear anything about Draco, surely tearing apart Europe to find Blofeld? How quickly does Bond get over Tracy's death? Anyway, end rant.)

@Goldenball - A-ha wouldn't turn up for another two years...
  • GoldenballGoldenball United States
    My bad- I meant Duran Duran. Thanks for pointing that out!

Fifty years from now, the Bond actors will be rated as they should be, on the basis of their strengths combined with a historical hindsight. EVERY actor has contributed to the franchise, and EVERY actor has been entertaining. I don't own (nor do I want to) every Bond movie, but my collection contains movies with EVERY actor. FWIW.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    Of course they will all be remembered. Let's not forget that we all have home video technology and any Bond historian would have to watch all the films to become an expert on the series. And the internet makes any Bond film impossible to forget.The Dalton era is being re-evaluated precisely because we have the modern technology to do so and the seriousness of the Craig era.

An old Bond film may as well have come out yesterday.

But had we not had the prevalence of home video, then yes, some Bonds would be forgotten. When I was a kid, I was not aware of Connery as Bond. Because whenever I saw a Bond movie on TV, it was with Roger Moore. It was much later that I realised who the first Bond was and how great he was.

Plus Bond films to an extent are milestones of culture in the era they are set in. I mean Afghanistan is relevant now and was featured in TLD. Ironically Bond is helping the people the west are at war with now.

In fact TLD was removed from the collection in 2003 under the guise of a rights issue which did not make any sense as they are all from the same studio. But it is obvious it was removed because of who Bond allies with and for some it painfully reflects western policy 25 years ago.

And once you become a Bond fan, you watch all the films. I at one point hated Lazenby and OHMSS. But over time I grew to like the film as well as him. It offers something valuable to the series, He did one film then again we still remember Max Shreck in Nosferatu from 1922.

Each Bond film is a major motion picture. And even for a new audience, it is great to go back and see how fashions were as well culture.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    acoppola wrote:
    Of course they will all be remembered. Let's not forget that we all have home video technology and any Bond historian would have to watch all the films to become an expert on the series. And the internet makes any Bond film impossible to forget.The Dalton era is being re-evaluated precisely because we have the modern technology to do so and the seriousness of the Craig era.

But had we not had the prevalence of home video, then yes, some Bonds would be forgotten. When I was a kid, I was not aware of Connery as Bond. Because whenever I saw a Bond movie on TV, it was with Roger Moore. It was much later that I realised who the first Bond was and how great he was.

Plus Bond films to an extent are milestones of culture in the era they are set in. I mean Afghanistan is relevant now and was featured in TLD. Ironically Bond is helping the people the west are at war with now.

In fact TLD was removed from the collection in 2003 under the guise of a rights issue which did not make any sense as they are all from the same studio. But it is obvious it was removed because of who Bond allies with and for some it painfully reflects western policy 25 years ago.

And once you become a Bond fan, you watch all the films. I at one point hated Lazenby and OHMSS. But over time I grew to like the film as well as him. It offers something valuable to the series, He did one film then again we still remember Max Shreck in Nosferatu from 1922.

Each Bond film is a major motion picture. And even for a new audience, it is great to go back and see how fashions were as well culture.

Yes, Bond's alliance with the mujahadeen in TLD was a bit of a mistake with hindsight! That's always a problem when they try and make the stories too 'relevant' - i.e. history catches up with you and bites you on the backside.
    Getafix wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

Yes, Bond's alliance with the mujahadeen in TLD was a bit of a mistake with hindsight! That's always a problem when they try and make the stories too 'relevant' - i.e. history catches up with you and bites you on the backside.

Yes, Bond's alliance now looks like a mistake and needless to say so was American and British foreign policy. The Americans invested $5 billion into Bin Laden's campaign against the Russians. It was thought at the time that the more radical the Mujahadeen was, the better they would fight the Russians and fulfill our policy aims.

The Bond producers were reflecting Bond in accordance where western intelligence thought is the best strategy against the Russians.

The Russians were seen as the bad guys in the west and the collapse of the Soviet union was not on the horizon in 1987. No one could predict how things would change.

On the other hand, historically TLD is arguably one of the most relevant Bond films ever and who we are helping in that film is still an issue that has not been overcome militarily.

And though the film is controversial now, it still is a reminder of how our governments get things badly wrong. What happened 14 years after the film was released?

• edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I always felt that although the Russians were on the other side of the cold war , they were rarely actually portrayed as evil in the Bond films. Usually it was SPECTRE or someone else trying to play off the two sides against each other. I liked General Gogol very much as a character - his was a cuddly WW2 'Uncle Joe' Stalin depiction of the KGB. Of course it was utter nonsense but it gave the films a reassuring feel - like the Russians aren't really that different from us, just a bit misguided. And the regular love-ins with enemy agents, like Tatiana in FRWL and XXX in Spy all added to the sense of an entente - at times more cordiale than at others.
    Getafix wrote:
    I always felt that although the Russians were on the other side of the cold war , they were rarely actually portrayed as evil in the Bond films. Usually it was SPECTRE or someone else trying to play off the two sides against each other. I liked General Gogol very much as a character - his was a cuddly WW2 'Uncle Joe' Stalin depiction of the KGB. Of course it was utter nonsense but it gave the films a reassuring feel - like the Russians aren't really that different from us, just a bit misguided. And the regular love-ins with enemy agents, like Tatiana in FRWL and XXX in Spy all added to the sense of an entente - at times more cordiale than at others.

True. FRWL is the closest of the Connery era to portraying the Russians as the bad guys.

But with TLD, because they went back to Fleming. The Cold War narrative is brought to the boil. On one hand it shows some Russians like Pushkin wanting change and harmony. But then they show Koskov who wants Russia to go the other way and that is the Russia Bond goes up against.

And boy does Bond help the Taliban-like guys get what they want. He facilitates the decimation of the Russian forces in the finale of the film. In fact, Dalton is even dressed like the Mujahadeen in those scenes and that shows how Bond can fit in culturally anywhere if he has to.

They get on like a house on fire and sub-consciously there will be some who will hate Dalton's Bond because of that. Some call him the Muslim Bond. I bet any money that he will have more popularity in The Middle East and he is liked in Pakistan. For instance, I met some Pakistanis who loved him as Bond because of his alliance. They also said he is a man that culturally would fit in their world and they found his dark looks not that different to someone from that region.

Dalton has Sicilian ancestry and the Arabs once conquered that region. I mean his hair is damn black for a caucasian. This has been pointed out to me.

acoppola wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

True. FRWL is the closest of the Connery era to portraying the Russians as the bad guys.

But with TLD, because they went back to Fleming. The Cold War narrative is brought to the boil. On one hand it shows some Russians like Pushkin wanting change and harmony. But then they show Koskov who wants Russia to go the other way and that is the Russia Bond goes up against.

And boy does Bond help the Taliban-like guys get what they want. He facilitates the decimation of the Russian forces in the finale of the film. In fact, Dalton is even dressed like the Mujahadeen in those scenes and that shows how Bond can fit in culturally anywhere if he has to.

They get on like a house on fire and sub-consciously there will be some who will hate Dalton's Bond because of that.

I remember my dad, who is a bit of a leftie, pointing out back in the 80s that the mujahadeen were not actually very nice people... I didn't get it at the time, but history proved him right!

What was that Tom Hanks film about Afghanistan? Charlie 'something's' War? Very good I thought at showing how it all happened and billions of US dollars went to training Bin Laden and his henchman.
    Getafix wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

They get on like a house on fire and sub-consciously there will be some who will hate Dalton's Bond because of that.

I remember my dad, who is a bit of a leftie, pointing out back in the 80s that the mujahadeen were not actually very nice people... I didn't get it at the time, but history proved him right!

What was that Tom Hanks film about Afghanistan? Charlie 'something's' War? Very good I thought at showing how it all happened and billions of US dollars went to training Bin Laden and his henchman.

Of course they were not nice people. But at the time that was overlooked as they were the underdogs against the Russian might.

Yes, that Tom Hanks film shows how irresponsible we were to achieve the collapse of The Soviet Union at the expense of a worse battle to come. We won the battle and lost the war. I mean, Afghanistan is far from over.

For some, what me and you are talking about is uncomfortable.But it is what it is and there is no point of sugar coating it. We were indoctrinated with anti-Russian propaganda growing up or at least I was, and now we see things way more different.

Yes the Russians did bad things but so did the west. And in an interview Dalton did for LTK, he alludes to the fact that things are not black and white. And Bond is as bad as the so called enemy but seen as good because of the side he works for. That is a more honest assessment of Bond than this good guy persona some believe.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    TLD is a bit like Rambo 3 there, which also had the mujahadeen as good guys. I love both but it doesn't help them age well.

Actually Rambo 3 used to be dedicated to "the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan", but I think they changed that on the DVD/Blu Ray.
    TLD is a bit like Rambo 3 there, which also had the mujahadeen as good guys. I love both but it doesn't help them age well.

Actually Rambo 3 used to be dedicated to "the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan", but I think they changed that on the DVD/Blu Ray.

The film is still great. But TLD had noble intentions for the time it was set in. Had it been made today, then that would not be so good.

It is a fantasy film and I can enjoy it on those merits. But controversy is not always a bad thing when it comes to longevity. TLD is getting a resurgence in popularity with even The Daily Telegraph newspaper ranking it in the top 5.

It is a historical fact that if anything, serves as a reminder where short term policy objectives lead to. So far those misguided policies have cost trillions and we have not even scraped away the tip of the iceberg.

TLD is more valid today than 15 years ago.

TLD seems like a documentary when compared to the sickeningly saccharine Rambo 3... "To us, it is a Holy war..." OMG, then Sly plays football with them using a dead sheep, oh so cuddly! I mean, as an action film it's killer, but they didn't have to paint them as SO noble... SO pure. That was SO laughable to me even back then.
    Anyway, we were helping them, so the characterization of the Mujahideen in TLD probably wasn't too far off at that time, but once the Soviets were gone, the Supreme leaders were free to redirect the goal towards taking over the country completely & then ridding themselves of the stupid foreign devils that ARMED them! And later Taliban slipped in there... what a mess.