The Score of Skyfall

Comments

• SharkShark Banned
    edited April 2011 Posts: 348
    I think QOS was an interesting departure for Arnold stylistically, which likely had a lot to do with Forster's heavy influence. i.e. reading the script before viewing any cuts or dallies of the film, and trying to distill the main ideas and emotions of the film, and proceeding from there.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quoting xolani: Oh and I hope I did everything right, I'm new here but have been following the old forums since CR.
    You should change your avatar to a non-EON copyrighted image. ;;)
    Why is Arnold listed as the composer on the Bond 23 page of mi6-hq.com? (I mean here: http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/bond23/index.php3?s=bond23 ) As of now he is still not confirmed!
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Why all the hatred towards David Arnold??? I actually like the work he has done on all the Bond movies since Tomorrow Never Dies.... I'm hoping he'll be composer for Bond 23....
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Why all the hatred towards David Arnold??? I actually like the work he has done on all the Bond movies since Tomorrow Never Dies.... I'm hoping he'll be composer for Bond 23....
    Because he simply isn't a good composer.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Let's just say that many folks don't appreciate his style and his use of techno sound and would prefer a more orchestral arrangement, much like John Barry did.
  • Why all the hatred towards David Arnold??? I actually like the work he has done on all the Bond movies since Tomorrow Never Dies.... I'm hoping he'll be composer for Bond 23....
    I don't hate him, I just find his soundtracks very unmemorable. Not very complex, usually doesn't have memorable melodies, and uses a lot of "wallpaper" music in the background which is just like filler. CR is the only score of his I liked, and I think a lot of that was that it was so much better than his other ones. If he's not adding a lot to the films, why keep using him?

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Arnold's scores work better in the context of watching the movie.......

meaning.. when on screen, his scores work - they fit the film...

whereas Barry's (while also fitting the film) also are just wonderful musical pieces that you could listen to on their own.... but again, Barry was an Oscar winner..... Arnold isn't even close

I don't think this makes Arnold an awful composer - but it doesn't make him great... he's average.... he has the ability to create a couple gems every now and then (in terms of individual tracks) but on the whole his scores are average..
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    well, I just hope they get a better title song this time than Alicia Keys crappy QoS title song with lyrics that don't make any sense
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    well, I just hope they get a better title song this time than Alicia Keys crappy QoS title song with lyrics that don't make any sense
    +1 Totally agree on that one!!!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Alicia Keys wasn't the problem with it....

the problem was that it was written, and produced by Jack White, and he also sang on it...

if you had Alicia Keys, singing lyrics written by Don Black, and music arranged by David Arnold, I would venture a guess as to say that the theme song would be much much better.....

i've noticed that the most recent themes that have been "awful" - is usually because the artist recording it, also writes and produces it without input from Arnold...... the only themes Arnold has worked on since he began has been "The World Is Not Enough" and "You Know My Name" - he also co-wrote and did arrangements on "Surrender" by K.D. Lang.. which was supposed to be the theme for the film, until Sheryl Crow was brought on at the last minute by the producers..... Arnold has had no real influence in the themes done by Crow, Madonna, and Jack White/Alicia Keys.....

Arnold, Black, and Bassey have already worked together on the Dame's latest album... i say let them work together for the 50th Anniversary of 007.... it only seems fitting - anyone else brought on but the Dame would seem like a severe injustice - (that is, if she wants to do another)
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    someone please explain these lyrics to me:

JW: Another ringer with the slick trigger finger for Her Majesty
    AK: Another one with the golden tone voice and then your fantasy
    JW: Another bill from a killer turned a thrill into a tragedy

CHORUS:
    A door left open
    A woman walking by
    A drop in the water
    A look in the eye
    A phone on the table
    A man on your side
    Someone that you think that you can trust is just
    Another way to die

JW: Another tricky little gun giving solace to the one that will never see the sunshine
    AK: Another inch of your life sacrificed for your brother in the nick of time
    JW: Another dirty money, heaven sent honey turning on a dime
    As soon as you can explain the lyrics to A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights... then I'll get right on it lol
    I find most of the Bond themes' lyrics quite incomprehensible.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    As soon as you can explain the lyrics to A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights... then I'll get right on it lol
    it's Duran Duran and A~Ha, what's there to explain?

That's like asking me to explain Duran Duran's Girls On Film Lyrics (and the awesome music video)

LOL!

• edited June 2011 Posts: 1,497
    Moonraker's lyrics do not make much sense. But to me that is Shirley Bassey's performance of a lifetime. Her singing married to John Barry's incredible orchestration transcends the lyrical content. She could be singing about macaroni and cheese and that song would still nearly move me to tears. Absolutely gorgeous...

But on the topic, I actually agree with what haserot said: pairing David Arnold with a good singer and lyricist has yielded good results so far.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I actually agree with what haserot said: pairing David Arnold with a good singer and lyricist has yielded good results so far.
    Yet they (EON) were too stupid and decided not to use Surrender. Still, I agree and maybe this time EON will get it right!...
    @Samuel... but that's on the producers, not Arnold.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    @Samuel... but that's on the producers, not Arnold.
    I know. That's what I meant.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 886
    So when are Kings of Leon (as I stated a few times before) going to be confirmed to do the theme tooon...? :!! EoN, I'm waiting.... :-W
  • Moonraker's lyrics do not make much sense. But to me that is Shirley Bassey's performance of a lifetime. Her singing married to John Barry's incredible orchestration transcends the lyrical content. She could be singing about macaroni and cheese and that song would still nearly move me to tears. Absolutely gorgeous...

But on the topic, I actually agree with what haserot said: pairing David Arnold with a good singer and lyricist has yielded good results so far.
    Since no one gave you an answer to your first statement, I understand Moonraker's lyrics perfectly. It's about searching for your soul mate, your twin soul, the love of your lifetime. It is indeed a beautiful ballad and I hope you will enjoy it even more now that you have a deeper understanding of the meaning of the words. Something I wish for all my Bond brothers and sisters, to find a love like I have with my twin soul and the mother of my young rapscallions :-D

'Kings of Leon'? We could be heading into Wings/LALD territory!

After the recent Bassey-Arnold team-up on her album, I thought that was a testing of the water for a Bassey 50th anniv return.....

Of course, it will all depend on the actual film/script.

I'm sure I read on here that Arnold already has the script so he can start generating ideas?

Also, isn't the eventual singer likely to be a Sony artist due to their link with the production? That would include Kings of Leon.

Other Sony artists anyone?
    edited June 2011 Posts: 4,399
    It's about searching for your soul mate, your twin soul, the love of your lifetime. It is indeed a beautiful ballad and I hope you will enjoy it even more now that you have a deeper understanding of the meaning of the words. Something I wish for all my Bond brothers and sisters, to find a love like I have with my twin soul and the mother of my young rapscallions :-D

Love was something I thought I had - but in life (at least mine) there are no happily ever-afters... maybe it was because I haven't found the right person yet, or maybe simply this is the way it's going to be - who knows....... all i know, is that I've spent my life trying so hard to appease others, and to try and find that one person - that i've lost a lot of focus on myself........... so for now, it's all about me lol..

A new interview with David Arnold:

(Sadly no info on Bond 23.)
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 2,107
    So. Ís he doing it or is he not doing it? That is the question.

I'm a fan of his Bond scores. They're moden . But still feel like Bond.
    Okay, I don't mind David Arnold...I actually think his TND and...to a lesser extent TWINE score were pretty good.

But that was the late 90s...it worked then. I agree with some of you that were saying that Arnold's work still sound somewhat 'millennium'. In DAD he just tried too hard and CR and QOS were workman like. (Although his QOS score did improve upon his CR score)

That all being said, I do want a different composer. I'd really like to see Giacchino...I found his M:i:III score very good. Someone mentioned Lalo Schifrin...he would be good, but I think he may be a bit old to do another feature film score...

Either way - I want a different composer!!!!

But we all know EON, I have a feeling they will cheap out and go with Arnold by default.... :-(
  • He's listed on imdb as though he's doing the score. I sincerely hope he's not though. I think the guy who did the last X-men score would be perfect...
    Anybody but DA would be fine.
  • I wouldn't go that far...I would prefer Arnold over, say, the guy who scored The Dark Knight and Inception...
    crappy QoS title song with lyrics that don't make any sense
    Oh, there's meaning in them. Much more than some Bond themes; Duran Duran's A View to a Kill and Sheryl Crowe's Tomorrow Never Died spring to mind as examples of theme songs that have very little meaning. You just have to think about Another Way to Die's lyrics a little more than you might for other songs. Ahem:
    Another ringer with a slick trigger finger for Her Majesty
    It's Bond. "Another ringer" refers to the way all Double-Oh agents operate on similar values, namely the protection of queen and country. "A slick trigger finger" is Bond's ability to shoot. And "Her Majesty" is obviously Lizzie 2.
    Another one with the golden tongue poisoning your fantasy
    Someone with a "Golden tongue" is a person who is good at seduction; they have a pleasant voice and are easy to listen to. "Poisoning your fantasy" is easily interpreted as someone with an ulterior motive. In other words, this line is referring to someone who is trying to turn another person to work for them. Which leads us to this next line:
    Another bill from a killer turned a thrill into a tragedy
    The "bill from a killer" is describing the way Bond is sent out on assignment; the 'bill' is the job, and the 'killer' is Bond. "Turned a thrill into a tragedy" is a clear reference to Vesper Lynd; because of Bond's position as an agent of Her Majesty, the thrill of their relationship turned into a tragedy when Vesper was compromised, leading to her death.

There's more, of course, but I won't go into it because it's off-topic. The point is that the QUANTUM OF SOLACE theme does indeed have meaning - it's just not immediately apparent.