What's your favourite 'era' of Bond movies?

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited October 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,691
Era #1, 1962 - 1985
Connery, Lazenby & Moore. What a run. The literary Bonds/ the comic book Bonds. It had the most extremes, the most experimenting. Bond, from early thirties to late fifties.
Era #2, 1987 -2002
Dalton & Brosnan. The literary edgy Bond/ the sweet n' sour combo Bond. Rough, slick & cool. Bond in his fourties.
Era #3, 2006 - ?
Craig. The literary but tough & buff Bond for today's meaner geo-political climate. Bond in his late thirties & fourties.

My fave is the 2nd era. Not as simplistic as era #1 could be at times, not as bleak & dark as era #3 has been (so far).

What about you?

Comments

• I've recently shaved off a full beard and a bit of a task it was too, but even though this appears to be a duplicate thread as stated, I would have to pick the 62-85 group. I guess this all dependant on the age of participants as older fans may favor or appreciate the earlier years and it's what I instantly went with. Even though Dalton was my favorite Bond, I couldn't put the best era simply between 1987-89, and then you have the subsequent years with Brosnan, which almost rendered it ineffective. Some of the best Bond movies were between 62-65 and then again from 73-81, so I went with the first choice
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    My question is a little different in scope, relating to the inherent reboots concerning the age of the character as portrayed.
    I'd pick Era #2, although I'd also like to throw in For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, and A View to a Kill, because for me, the period of 1981-1999 was Bond's best!
    Ahhhh, a John Glen fan as well! Octopussy is one of my favourites! But his best work was with Dalton IMO.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    1962-1965 is about as good as it gets.
    edited October 2012 Posts: 17,691

From a period piece POV I will agree entirely. Bond was created near there, and he ruled his time then, cinematically speaking.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:

From a period piece POV I will agree entirely. Bond was created near there, and he ruled his time then, cinematically speaking.

A period piece point of view??
    A period piece point of view??
    The 60's.
  • Connery or not, you have to take 1964 out of that, as for me, Goldfinger was a disaster on all fronts, the main problem, is that it is so damn mundane, and just doesn't hold the interest, Bond spends most of the time sitting around looking bored - as is the viewer

However, Dr No and Russia are the epitome of what James Bond should be, and at least there's some fun to be had or things to get involved in, but all those releases simply lack the thrills and pace some of the Moore or Brosnan or Craig titles had to offer, although Connery was head and shoulders for the most part over Moore as a better James Bond, although Craig isn't too far behind as he continues on his way. And Brosnan was a bit of a mixed bag for his seven years involved..
    Sean and the iconic scenes save GF, and that is why it deserves to stay.
    Goldfinger was a disaster on all fronts
    No way. That was a great Bond film, maybe not the best, but real good.
  • Worth watching for -

a half decent pre credits seqence with Connery and the bath/electric fan incident

Golf match with Goldfinger (one of the best sequences of the entire movie)

Fort Knox finale in Kentucky

really struggling now...

yes that's about it for me. The negatives far outweight the positives every time I see it, those guys laid out by the nerve gas from the Pussy Galore flying circus weren't the only one's unconscious or unresponsive towards the end of the film..
    Goldfinger is WAY over rated IMO. DN & TB are better...
  • At least the night or early morning ends on a sensible note

Goldfinger - Overrated

Dr No and Thunderball better releases..

There can be no dispute

Far too late now, so it's a Goodnight I-)