That Golden Era of 007

edited July 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
I know that for most people, the 1960's from Dr. No through On Her Majesty's Secret Service is considered Bond's "Golden Era", but for me it is not, considering that three of the '60s Bond movies comprise my bottom three, haha. I've always seen the Golden Era to be from 1981 with For Your Eyes Only on through 1999 with The World is not Enough. It might sound crazy for some people, but all of these with the exception of TWINE make up 7 of my top 10, and TWINE sometimes gets roped in there after an exceptional watch. I love the 1981-1999 era because there was much more focus on superb action, leaving less room for boring "plot developement". Also, I've always enjoyed Roger's latter three Bond movies more than his other four, and of course, I'm always a big fan of the harder-edged and classy performances from Dalton and Brosnan. In my opinion, these eight movies are the epitome of 007. So my question would be what do you consider Bond's golden era?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    For me it's 1962 - 1967. Connery built a popularity as James Bond like no other actor in any role ever (again). The films were increasingly more popular and made more and more money, at least up till TB. A spy craze took possession of the larger masses. I doubt the world had ever seen a cinematic phenomenon like this early 60s Bond thing.

Also, I rank DN, FRWL and TB very high on my list of best Bond films. They possess a charm that almost puts tears in my eyes . That, however, isn't the main reason for my choice of the era. After all, 1969's OHMSS is also one of the best Bonds ever IMHO, but I think the Bond craze had cooled down somewhat at this point.

So there you are: the golden years of Bond, for me, include all films from DN to YOLT, mostly based on the general popularity of the films and their cultural impact.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Without a doubt the 60s, prominently 1962-1965. The best sequence of films, primarily with Sean at the helm showing everyone how the character should be portrayed on film. The series found its origin here, giving us great espionage drama, as well as a plot with the risk of nuclear war when all the stakes were highest. Bond was suave, but not overly unsophisticated. He was cold and ruthless, but would still drink a martini with you and him the baccarat tables. One thing that was present in the Connery era that the other films later on forget for a spell (you know, besides forgetting what it means to be James Bond), is Bond's spy observational espionage instinct. Moments where he would debug his hotel, and outsmart those trying to get at him in very clever ways instead of simply killing them. He had a licence to kill, but didn't use it every chance he got, but responsibly. Sean's Bond was rough looking, no unconvincing pretty boy, but still every measure of a damn good looking guy who was the very definition of cool. Sean's version of Bond is first and foremost the essential James Bond blueprint, one every actor should take inspiration from.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    87-89. Can't top the Daltonator.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    1st place "golden era" : TSWLM through TWINE for a consecutive era, for me.
    2nd would be Dr. No thru DAF
    And hopefully we are in a new era that I will consider top notch for a long time.
    The golden era of 007 is 1962-1969. No doubt.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    62-69 undoubtedly. Perfect blend of exotic locales, killer Bond women, memorable villains and.henchmen, extravagant but not ridiculous plots (with the exception of YOLT) and an always cool Connery, followed by Lazenby. Classic stuff.
  • 62 to 65 for me. The quality of the films is unparalleled, Connery was iconic, Bond-mania was at its height, and there was a new movie every year.

I can see how many people would extend that to 69, but to me YOLT was a bit of a mis-step. It was bloated, boring in places, and a little too OTT for my tastes now. When I was younger I loved the *idea* of the film, but found it dragged and Connery's performance was lacking.

OHMSS was my favourite Bond film until CR...so I guess I consider 1969 to be the series' "silver age"..?
    for me it's 62-69, Connery is my favorite bond and my top three films are FRWL,OHMSS and GF. DN,TB and YOLT are also high in my rankings, so that is my favourite era but I also like the 80's era too, the only film from the 80's i find poor is AVTAK. but the other 4 i really like.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    The Golden Era: 62-69
    The Fool's Gold Era: 71-79
    The Silver Era: 81-95
    The Golden Shower Era: 97-02
    The Platinum Era: 06-Present
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Kerim wrote:

Ha, ha. Not a fan of Brosnan then? Must say that I quite agree with you listing - if we could move '67 to the Silver era!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I feel that Connery's, the first half of Moore's, and Brosnan's eras are Golden to me. I almost put Dalton but didn't because I feel that Licence to Kill isn't very Bondian to me.
    The golden era for me has to be the 1960's. The style and feel of the movies are fantastic. It really was a golden age, even though in reality it was way before own my time.
    Kerim wrote:

Agree with this. Call the Brozz era the Interegulum ie doesnt exist. Good choice for silver era though.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    delete
    With the exception of 1967, the Sean Connery 60's era will always be the golden era for me.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I say we live I'm the Golden Era just at the moment. With the two last Bondmovies at place #1 and #2 then it isn't such a hard choice. And if Skyfall turns out to be great, it really going to be the golden decade!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Golden Era 1962 - 1969.. the films had very distinct style that really stayed consistent throughout this time.. these were the films that layed the groundwork for the franchise moving forward.

Transitional Phase 1971 - 1974.. a passing of the baton with not just actors, but with style, and the redefinition of Bond as a character... these 3 films mix about as well as drinking and driving - definitely an era where they were searching for an identity...

Silver Era 1977 - 1989.. Moore hits his stride with a few good outings and Dalton takes over and brings the series back to center.. these years are notable for not only their hits, but also a couple of their misses..

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Era 1995-2002.. Brosnan starts out strong, but with each film moving forward, the series really starts to fall apart as it finds itself in the purgatory of dumbed down action and talentless hollywood starlets..

can't rightfully critique Craig's run until it is over... but so far, it's going good..
    00Beast wrote:
    I know that for most people, the 1960's from Dr. No through On Her Majesty's Secret Service is considered Bond's "Golden Era", but for me it is not, considering that three of the '60s Bond movies comprise my bottom three, haha. I've always seen the Golden Era to be from 1981 with For Your Eyes Only on through 1999 with The World is not Enough. It might sound crazy for some people, but all of these with the exception of TWINE make up 7 of my top 10, and TWINE sometimes gets roped in there after an exceptional watch. I love the 1981-1999 era because there was much more focus on superb action, leaving less room for boring "plot developement". Also, I've always enjoyed Roger's latter three Bond movies more than his other four, and of course, I'm always a big fan of the harder-edged and classy performances from Dalton and Brosnan. In my opinion, these eight movies are the epitome of 007. So my question would be what do you consider Bond's golden era?

For me the golden era is the first three films, which are all perfect. However, I agree that with mid to late Roger the series once again hit cinematic gold. I rate almost all of Rog's films from Spy onwards pretty highly. They are different and perhaps not quite so classic as Sean's finest outings, but represent an impressive run of quality none the less. I also think TLD was great, so I suppose that can be added on to the end of the second golden era. Where I differ from you is in feeling that LTK actually represented a bit of wrong turn and was followed by the four worst films in the entire series. Since then DC has got things a bit back on track, but I would not say his films have attained the consistency or entertainment value of Roger, or the classic feel of early Sean. We live in hope though!
    Kerim wrote:

@Kerim
    good ranking. I must say that by 1965 prior to TB release Bondmania was at it's height. by 1967 there were so many imitators in the market place but we knew Bond was tops. Seeing YOLT now some younger viewers can mistakenly think Bond was imitating the imitators.
    After release of YOLT and the announcement of the next film OHMSS I remember this this strange feeling came over me. I had a feeling that the Bond movies were passing into a new phase. I don't know what to call it but I just had this feeling...
    Next a new Bond actor was announced as the decade of the sixties was coming to a close. After OHMSS, that trashy DAF.
    Yes, it was obvious: Bondmania was over. 1969 was the end of an era for Bond. The Golden Age was over...
    Fool's Gold- agree. Films were flashy and expensive and made a crap load of money but it was like built on sand.
    1981-95 thanks to John Glen's direction and some seriousness to the role the films actually began an upward swing.
    97-02: Where Babs and Mikey pulled a circular firing squad on each other. Collectively shooting themselves in the ass.
    <b>Golden Era: 1962-1971</b>

Everyone of these films, and yes including DAF, are solid gold. This period epitomizes the series.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2012 Posts: 17,692
    I love DAF as well...
  • Maybe the first era could of been split or sectioned out a little more ?

What I mean is, say for instance an era of Connery/Lazenby from 1962-71, and then Moore from 1973-85 for instance and then the rest as you are..

Actually that makes it harder to choose, and Moore for all his clowning around especially towards the end of his tenure, gave us some damn fine movies and actually did very well here and there. Connery really was only very effective and maybe the best Bond ever from 1962-63, so on that basis, it's a harder pick but I would of gone with Moore from 1973-85, simply in that I went to see most of them at time of release and I enjoyed them more overall

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I would of gone with Moore from 1973-85, simply in that I went to see most of them at time of release and I enjoyed them more overall
    My first three (first run) theatrical Bonds were DAF, LALD and TMWTGG, so I can feel your devotion...

• You would of been appreciated in that 'for older members who remember the golden days of Bond' or 'Original members evaluations of Bond' or whatever it was called that has been running for months now that was started by Henry Lee Chang some time back where original fans can air their opinions and recollections on earlier releases, maybe you could still participate, but It could be a little late to get involved now ?

I liked the Moore releases, because although absurd at certain points, they offered so much to get involved in, and there was a nice variation from serious to comical along the way, so it was a nice blend that he provided..

And some of the very best action bits and pieces of the entire franchise without question. Connery, Dalton and Brosnan didn't necessarily supply that, at risk of a backlash with the third name

• edited October 2012 Posts: 51
    00Beast wrote:
    ...I've always seen the Golden Era to be from 1981 with For Your Eyes Only on through 1999 with The World is not Enough...

Haha. To me that's always been "Bond on life support era," well at least until 1995 when Goldeneye really revived the series. For Your Eyes Only and License to Kill were good films, but they weren't "classic" James Bond and didn't have that mainstream appeal. In my opinion Octopussy was entertaining and the Living Daylights was a solid Bond movie (and my favorite of the two Dalton films). However, A View to a Kill made me cringe throughout and is probably my least favorite of all the Bond films.

Just from having seen that set of films I had figured they made less money than prior and subsequent Bond pictures, my hypothesis was exactly right Looking at the inflation adjusted box office returns, every film from FYEO until LTK made significantly less money than the previous and subsequent set of films.
    SPECTRE wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    ...I've always seen the Golden Era to be from 1981 with For Your Eyes Only on through 1999 with The World is not Enough...

Haha. To me that's always been "Bond on life support era," well at least until 1995 when Goldeneye really revived the series. For Your Eyes Only and License to Kill were good films, but they weren't "classic" James Bond and didn't have that mainstream appeal. In my opinion Octopussy was entertaining and the Living Daylights was a solid Bond movie (and my favorite of the two Dalton films). However, A View to a Kill made me cringe throughout and is probably my least favorite of all the Bond films.

Just from having seen that set of films I had figured they made less money than prior and subsequent Bond pictures, my hypothesis was exactly right Looking at the inflation adjusted box office returns, every film from FYEO until LTK made significantly less money than the previous and subsequent set of films.

I think FYEO and LTK are true Bond classics, without a doubt. FYEO took Bond back to his grittier roots again, which really helped revive the series after the outlandish tomfoolery of Moonraker. Even though MR wasn't horrible, we certainly wouldn't want to go any further than that. LTK brough Bond to his grittiest and darkest point in the series, which for me is in itself a classic for taking the unexpected and extreme approach, which I believe worked exceptionally well! As for A View to a Kill, it never makes me cringe. From the amazing pre-title sequence where Bond destroys a Russian helicopter with a flare (EPIC!) to the finale fight on top of the Golden Gate Bridge, it remains a personal favorite of mine! Also, special note to the scene where Max Zorin machine-guns his workers in the mine. If that's not an echo of things to come with the Dalton era, especially LTK, I don't know what is.
  • Sorry Beast, but as soon as I read 'a brilliant pre credits sequence where Bond destroys a helicopter with a flare gun - epic', I had a spontaneous bout of uncontrolled mirth, and then - 'Final fight on top of the Golden Gate Bridge - (a personal favorite)' to crown it all..

It's only about opinions after all, and that's all very well, but I always have a hard time seeing why anybody can see any redeeming features in that awful release

When did Dalton use a machine gun in License to Kill anyway.. I haven't seen it in a long time in my defense, but I don't remember any such instance. You must mean Sanchez later on with the Kenworth Trucks chase but what he used was a Steyr TMP from I can recall

00Beast wrote:
    SPECTRE wrote:

I think FYEO and LTK are true Bond classics, without a doubt. FYEO took Bond back to his grittier roots again, which really helped revive the series after the outlandish tomfoolery of Moonraker. Even though MR wasn't horrible, we certainly wouldn't want to go any further than that. LTK brough Bond to his grittiest and darkest point in the series, which for me is in itself a classic for taking the unexpected and extreme approach, which I believe worked exceptionally well! As for A View to a Kill, it never makes me cringe. From the amazing pre-title sequence where Bond destroys a Russian helicopter with a flare (EPIC!) to the finale fight on top of the Golden Gate Bridge, it remains a personal favorite of mine! Also, special note to the scene where Max Zorin machine-guns his workers in the mine. If that's not an echo of things to come with the Dalton era, especially LTK, I don't know what is.

Yeah, as I had mentioned they're both great films, although much prefer LTK over FYEO. The soundtrack of FYEO especially doesn't sit well with me at all, and I'm a big fan of 80's music. The problem with A View to a Kill is that Moore is hardly believable as Bond and looks like he should be using a cane to get around. Christopher Walken totally owned that movie and is its only saving grace.

The overarching problem with all of the films post-Moonraker/pre-Goldeneye is that they lack the flash and style of Bond (besides maybe the Dalton films to an extent). FYEO and LTK had great plots with decent acting, but Bond films need more than that to fill cinema seats.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    HASEROT wrote:
    Golden Era 1962 - 1969.. the films had very distinct style that really stayed consistent throughout this time.. these were the films that layed the groundwork for the franchise moving forward.

Transitional Phase 1971 - 1974.. a passing of the baton with not just actors, but with style, and the redefinition of Bond as a character... these 3 films mix about as well as drinking and driving - definitely an era where they were searching for an identity...

Silver Era 1977 - 1989.. Moore hits his stride with a few good outings and Dalton takes over and brings the series back to center.. these years are notable for not only their hits, but also a couple of their misses..

The Teenagers' Era 1995-2002.. Brosnan starts out strong, but with each film moving forward, the series really starts to fall apart as it finds itself in the purgatory of dumbed down action and talentless hollywood starlets..

can't rightfully critique Craig's run until it is over... but so far, it's going good..

There you go.... I have what he's having......

• EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    edited October 2012 Posts: 108
    Bond-Wertung.jpg

I just made an info graphic on my personal rating of the movies. So I come to the conclusion of 4 peaks:

Connery/Lazenby: the true and first Golden Age

Moores middle three: the best of the goofy ones, inspired a new generation of fans

89-99: Not very inspired but very solid

And now there's Craig who does build up some kind of expectation for the things yet to come.