9/11/12

Comments

Hmm. Interesting range of comments here - from the sane to the extreme. This is clearly a topic too complex to be discussed here, but I would like to leave one thought.

There has been a lot of talk about Muslim aggression, but if you go back 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 100 years, 1000 years - or whatever time period you wish:
    - what is the ratio of Westerners to Muslims killed?
    - how many Muslim countries have Western countries invaded versus how many Western countries have Muslim countries invaded

My guess is that the West will invariably be the aggressors.
  • Sorry Troy, but at this point I feel the tables have firmly turned from the past. Islamic fundamentalism is clearly more aggressive in nature if a single negative word uttered against Mohammed and Islam provokes their brand of reaction. Yes, we have more firepower to wreak destruction, but you better be very wary of Iran when making statements such as these :(
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The West has made mistakes; one would be foolish to deny that. It still is making mistakes. That, however, doesn't plead any solid case for Islamic terror. Sure, America killed and waged dirty wars but what do the many victims of 9/11 have to do with that? Why do I need to live in fear over an anti-Islam joke in the 21st century? Because the king of my country went berserk in Congo about a century ago? I'm not blind to the dirt the West has spread over less industrialized territories, by no means I am, but I see no reason why I should condone Islamic terrorism over that...
  • RC7RC7
    Some men just wanna watch the world burn.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    RC7 wrote:
    Some men just wanna watch the world burn.

Really, Mr. Caine?

Appropriate choice.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited September 2012 Posts: 2,629
    A cartoonist, an animated TV show or a comedian makes fun of Jesus, Buddha, Joseph Smith, or any other religious figure not named Mohammed, at worst you get some grumbling or mild protests. The same cartoonist, animated TV show or comedian mocks Mohammad and 5% of the Muslim followers get beligerent and violent with little or no regard to the safety and the welfare of the other non-Muslim followers.

I will state that I honestly believe that most Muslims are peaceful and want a happy and peaceful life. It is the vocal minority that is giving their religion a bad name and I think the majority want nothing to do with the minority. Come down on me if you must, but I feel the extreme Muslim believers look for any excuse for violence, be it Israel, the US, the UK, perceived supporters, or anyone who is perceived at disrespecting the Muslim religion.

What percentage of wars throughout the history of mankind were based on religion? How many people throughout the course of history were killed in the name of someone's religion? This is why I'm agnostic.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    ^ I completely agree Kerim.....as RC7 stated above from TDK "Some men just wanna watch the world burn." I believe this to be true among us humans.
    The population on this planet is increasing at a staggering rate. We will eventually be piled up on top of each other - figuratively speaking of course (or so I hope... ;-)). The more people get crammed up together in a small area, the more complicated and flammable our interactions become. We need to drop the small issues that have a nasty tendency to light all fuses at once. Religion may be one of those. Am I being a hyporcit now? Ultimately, I'm a religious person as well. However, as I've stated countless times before, I choose to remain extremely discrete and isolated in the matter; it's my business. Not even my girlfriend gets a glimmer of my deeper thoughts. As long as people keep grouping themselves in the same religious spirit, the more us-versus-them conflicts will flourish. It saddens me that this can still happen in a world that survived the 20th century.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Time for your daily Islamic outrage:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9553722/France-to-close-schools-and-embassies-fearing-Mohammed-cartoon-reaction.html

I’m not even going to comment on the predictable Muslim ire as we all know what happens by now and frankly its getting pretty dull.

The thing that winds me up here is I know the French are cheese eating surrender monkeys but bowing down to this lunacy is pitiful even by Vichy standards.

France basically saying ‘Yeah OK, if Muslims get irate we will pander to it and close all our public buildings in panic’. Pathetic.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I do agree with lots of what's been said, but shouldn't we start a new thread or something? I think it's just a bit disrespectful to use this thread to complain about religion, it's meant to be for comemorating (did I spell that right?) the victims of 9/11.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Y'know, all these outraged Muslims are burning American flags, and I've got to ask the same question Jay Leno asked: Where the hell are they getting all these American flags to burn? Is there some outraged Muslim store that sells American flags to burn whenever it's time to get pissed off? I don't have a Neo Nazi flag just hanging around so that I can burn it in the future.
  • Y'know, all these outraged Muslims are burning American flags, and I've got to ask the same question Jay Leno asked: Where the hell are they getting all these American flags to burn?
    Good question!

And speaking of-- did you hear the news? 'This just in: karma's a beeyotch!'

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8535317/protester-dies-burning-american-flag

edited September 2012 Posts: 9,117

Priceless!

Do you only get the virgins if you kill infidels or do you get them for being such a retard you cant even grasp the concept of 'standing down wind'?

Seriously though thelivingroyale has a point. Either this thread should be re-titled or we should start a new one to laugh at Islamic ranting.
    or we should start a new one to laugh at Islamic ranting.

Gentlemen, we're not going to start a thread like that. ;-) It wouldn't be in good taste.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Do you only get the virgins if you kill infidels or do you get them for being such a retard you cant even grasp the concept of 'standing down wind'?
    I think they get these virgins:

http://www.darwin.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/72.jpg

Mod edit: come on, guys, play along will you. We can criticize things and debate the news but let's not get too creative at it please. :-)

^lulz ;)
    edited September 2012 Posts: 9,117
    DarthDimi wrote:
    or we should start a new one to laugh at Islamic ranting.

Gentlemen, we're not going to start a thread like that. ;-) It wouldn't be in good taste.

Says who? Its called free speech.

Scared of a mob coming over and burning your house down are you Darth? :))
    Let's just say I like to keep things as Bondian around here as I can. :-) The ranting can continue here for a while. I hope we can agree that a thread specifically designed for said ranting would be in poor taste.
    Y'know, all these outraged Muslims are burning American flags, and I've got to ask the same question Jay Leno asked: Where the hell are they getting all these American flags to burn?
    Good question!

I did hear about that, through my #1 news source: The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Let's just say I like to keep things as Bondian around here as I can. :-) The ranting can continue here for a while. I hope we can agree that a thread specifically designed for said ranting would be in poor taste.

Dont worry I didnt say I was going to create one, but would like to know the option is available to us. Apparently it isnt - but I'm fine in keeping things more Bondian as long as you are going to extend this policy to all the hundreds of other threads round here that have absolutely nothing to do with Bond. You're not? Pray why?

Afraid I also cant agree that it would be in poor taste. Burning people to death is in poor taste in my book.
    Ridiculing Islam is just the most powerful weapon we have as theres nothing that would infuriate these lunatics more than not being taken seriously.

However if you mean posting such rants in a thread about the 9/11 victims then that could be regarded as poor taste but please lets not follow France's example and start limp wristedly appeasing Islam.
  • Time for your daily Islamic outrage:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9553722/France-to-close-schools-and-embassies-fearing-Mohammed-cartoon-reaction.html

I’m not even going to comment on the predictable Muslim ire as we all know what happens by now and frankly its getting pretty dull.

The thing that winds me up here is I know the French are cheese eating surrender monkeys but bowing down to this lunacy is pitiful even by Vichy standards.

France basically saying ‘Yeah OK, if Muslims get irate we will pander to it and close all our public buildings in panic’. Pathetic.

=)) Post of the year! You gotta love those Kermits, they're the best at everything. Just ask them!
    Let's see: US "non essential personel" is pulled off US embassies the world over, and _we_ get blamed for doing the same thing ? Maybe you would like children to be killed in those schools ? May I remind you that for 11 years, we had up to 4000 troops in Afghanistan, and we have the dead (88 of them) and wounded to show for it ? Here's the complete list:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pertes_militaires_fran%C3%A7aises_en_Afghanistan

And may I remind you that not only didn't Ian Fleming create a true rench villain (Le Chiffre was an apatrid, in fact), but that two of Bond's greatest allies were french (Mathis and Draco).

• DarthDimi wrote:

To be honest I think it's in poorer taste to rant on this thread, which is meant to be about saying RIP to the victims of 9/11.
    To be honest I think it's in poorer taste to rant on this thread, which is meant to be about saying RIP to the victims of 9/11.

Although we know that such a topic inevitably creates results in such rants. ;-)
    I just thought of a song this morning.

Gerard wrote:
    Let's see: US "non essential personel" is pulled off US embassies the world over, and _we_ get blamed for doing the same thing ? Maybe you would like children to be killed in those schools ? May I remind you that for 11 years, we had up to 4000 troops in Afghanistan, and we have the dead (88 of them) and wounded to show for it ? Here's the complete list:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pertes_militaires_fran%C3%A7aises_en_Afghanistan

And may I remind you that not only didn't Ian Fleming create a true rench villain (Le Chiffre was an apatrid, in fact), but that two of Bond's greatest allies were french (Mathis and Draco).

Hmm. I think theres a bit of a difference between an embassy on foreign soil being besieged by a mob of thousands of incensed locals where you have about 10 soldiers to defend it and bascially just giving carte blanche in your own country for them to issue threats knowing you will immediately acquiesce.

If they say they are going to storm the Palais de l'Elysee tomorrow I imagine Hollandes lily livered response would be to roll out the red carpet and prepare a pyramid of Ferrero Rocher and some sausages on sticks (not pork obviously - wouldnt want to cause offence).
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Reminds me of South Park.

"Oh my God, are the crew ok?"

"Yes sir, they were French, so they surrendered immediately"
  • Reminds me of South Park.

"Oh my God, are the crew ok?"

"Yes sir, they were French, so they surrendered immediately"

:)) I saw that one, hilarious! No better humor than that at the expense of the French, especially when it goes by the name of the most entertaining Frenchman ever, Inspector Clouseau. I like French girls though, provided they shave in the correct places of course.
    Gerard wrote:

I saw your post before you edited Gerard and I have to apologise. Someone forawrded me the original article and I merely scanned it and read it as all being inside France itself. You are of course right in that these buildings are not within French territory so on that point I was incorrect.

Never let it be said the Wizard doesnt apolgise when hes wrong. Mind you it doesnt happen often.

However I still stand by the fact that the French governments reponse is pretty weak and will only act as encouragement that this sort of intimidation gets results with western governments so in panicking and closing all these buildings you've actually made it more dangerous for the rest of us when the next heinous outrage against Islam occurs (probably next week).
    I like French girls though, provided they shave in the correct places of course.

Apology notwithstanding - this is actually quite an amusing piece of shameless stereotyping.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,494
    @ Wizard- I've never ran into it personally with the European women I've known, but I'm told by those with more recent encounters that some Italian and French girls still don't shave well or even at all where they should. I'd be instantly turned off for a fact, it's lazy and slovenly in my opinion. Just saying.
This discussion has been closed.