Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

Indy in a sling for a brief portion of the film ? Wouldn't bother me, but they might not wish to show anything more than, say, a scene as in ROTLA, when he gently eased himself onto the cot after a round of getting beaten on, and doing some himself. Might even allow for a joke hinging on the term "mileage", without just repeating the line.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,957
    I don't really see it happening. I remember Daniel Craig got a shoulder injury shooting Quantum of Solace (although I guess not this early in) and you wouldn't know it from watching the movie.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Benny wrote: »
    I was thinking they could adapt the story to include Fords injury, so they could keep filming.
    And Fords pain face is much better than Pierce’s.
    In fact, Pierce Brosnan sustained a painface injury during the filming of TWINE, and the torture chair scene was added to include it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm really excited for our first look at Phoebe in costume :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I was thinking they could adapt the story to include Fords injury, so they could keep filming.
    And Fords pain face is much better than Pierce’s.
    In fact, Pierce Brosnan sustained a painface injury during the filming of TWINE, and the torture chair scene was added to include it.

Now that I could believe :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mr Ford has been spotted out and about without his sling (and the barn door open) which has got to be a good sign..?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9760547/Harrison-Ford-seen-without-sling-time-injuring-shoulder.html
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As the commercial use to say “ Built Ford Tough”
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Mr Ford has been spotted out and about without his sling (and the barn door open) which has got to be a good sign..?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9760547/Harrison-Ford-seen-without-sling-time-injuring-shoulder.html

I love the photos of Ford in the streets, with passers by seemingly oblivious to him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it makes me want to hang around Mayfair and keep a look out for him- he seems to be there all the time! :)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Great!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I looked on the council's website, it looks like the areas they're setting up in Glasgow will be closed to pedestrians for 'action' from the 14th July for a week in some areas, two weeks in others. I think that makes it sound like this will be an action sequence, so I would expect to see some photos of Mr Ford in action starting to pop up this time next week. If indeed this is for Indy, but I think the smart money says it is.

By the looks of this spectator grandstand it will be a street parade sequence. Indy being pursued through a ticker tape parade maybe?

12770065.jpg?type=article-full

More pics of the set here:
    https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19423694.7-things-spotted-indiana-jones-film-set-glasgow/
    Well if this film has anything to do with the Cuban missile crisis of '62, then perhaps it's a parade for astronaut John Glenn?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well if this film has anything to do with the Cuban missile crisis of '62, then perhaps it's a parade for astronaut John Glenn?

Yeah, if it's not a fictional parade (or just a Thanksgiving one!), then I think that seems a likely one; it could possibly be JFK's nomination parade in 1960 too. There were a number of others but those seem to have the most resonance nowadays. Could be a Yankees/Mets one but they seem a bit arbitrary, somehow. Still, if it's an action scene I guess the crowded parade is the important thing rather than what it's for.
    Unless it is the Apollo 11 one in '69, but I just don't think this film is set that late.

Regardless, if it is an action scene (and would they need to shoot for two weeks if it wasn't?) I think we can expect to start getting some juicy shots of Ford in action this time next week :)

EDIT: I see someone on Reddit has spotted a Coke logo which is from 1969. So we could be '69, or it could be an error (they have hung the American flags the wrong way around so it's possible!).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well here’s a new bit of set dressing which makes it look like this film (if it’s Indy!) is pretty definitely set in 68/69:

E5s34zRXMAMg6Be?format=jpg&name=large
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 440
    It's also definitely meant to be New York, as can be seen in the set dressing.

0_JS238799286jpeg.jpg
    I have to say that I’d this is for Indy, and it probably is, I’m disappointed that it’s in the later 60’s as opposed to earlier in the decade; it was a more glamorous time and not filled with turbulent social unrest.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 121
    This sign does confirm some of the movie will be set in 1969: https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/resources/images/12776783.jpg?type=article-full

I am very happy with it, I was always hoping for a late 60s setting and would have liked an early 70s setting even more. I understand that it's a less "glamorous" time, but I like the idea of putting Indy in a more modern world.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Very cool, thanks for that. I guess we still don’t know for certain this is the Indy movie, but the chances seem very high indeed.
    Politically, socially and aesthetically, such an ugly period ; but, I’m still hoping for the best.

Yeah, if it's not a fictional parade (or just a Thanksgiving one!), then I think that seems a likely one; it could possibly be JFK's nomination parade in 1960 too. There were a number of others but those seem to have the most resonance nowadays. Could be a Yankees/Mets one but they seem a bit arbitrary, somehow. Still, if it's an action scene I guess the crowded parade is the important thing rather than what it's for.
    Unless it is the Apollo 11 one in '69, but I just don't think this film is set that late.

Regardless, if it is an action scene (and would they need to shoot for two weeks if it wasn't?) I think we can expect to start getting some juicy shots of Ford in action this time next week :)

EDIT: I see someone on Reddit has spotted a Coke logo which is from 1969. So we could be '69, or it could be an error (they have hung the American flags the wrong way around so it's possible!).

Just a note were it to relate in the slightest: the NY Mets did not exist or play until 1962
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Since62 wrote: »

Just a note were it to relate in the slightest: the NY Mets did not exist or play until 1962

Yes, and they had a parade in their honour in both ‘62 and ‘69. Not sure of your point.
    - Project Blue Book, the United States Air Force's investigation into unidentified flying objects (UFOs), officially comes to an end on December 17, 1969
    - 250,000 march on Washington in protest at the Vietnam War
    - Richard Nixon becomes President of the United States
    - China carries out an underground nuclear bomb test.
    And of course, the moon landing.
    -
    Zekidk wrote: »
    - Project Blue Book, the United States Air Force's investigation into unidentified flying objects (UFOs), officially comes to an end on December 17, 1969
    -

Or it could be a small group who gained little traction.
    GLINB - George Lazenby Is Not Bond protesting an Australian not being Bond.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    -

Or it could be a small group who gained little traction.
    GLINB - George Lazenby Is Not Bond protesting an Australian not being Bond.

:)) yes for many of us on this forum ‘1969’ means OHMSS
    Personally I’d be a bit worried if it was late 1960s. Doesn’t feel pulpy enough for Indiana Jones.

The character works best (IMO) in the 1930s where you’ve got obvious bad guys, obvious good guys, straightforward heroics etc.

By the late sixties there’s much more ambiguity, moral relativism, antiheroes, hidden corruption etc.

It’s still possible to make a good film but I’m worried that it won’t feel like a 1930s serial style thing.

Anyway I am hoping it will turn out better than I fear.

Does 1968/69 suggest a possible plot? Aliens from the moon?
    Personally I’d be a bit worried if it was late 1960s. Doesn’t feel pulpy enough for Indiana Jones.

The character works best (IMO) in the 1930s where you’ve got obvious bad guys, obvious good guys, straightforward heroics etc.

By the late sixties there’s much more ambiguity, moral relativism, antiheroes, hidden corruption etc.

It’s still possible to make a good film but I’m worried that it won’t feel like a 1930s serial style thing.

Anyway I am hoping it will turn out better than I fear.

Does 1968/69 suggest a possible plot? Aliens from the moon?
    I agree 100%. I’ll admit, I’m not looking for reality in an Indiana Jones film; I’m looking for a , plausibly, romanticized adventure. The early 60’s is ideal for that; the late 60’s are not.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think you're talking more about the fiction of each time rather than the reality: the actual 30s was full of those things you mention. It was a pretty torrid time.
    If they can make the 30s seem straightforward for an adventure film they can the same with the 60s.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I mean I don't think setting it in 1969 causes any problems. I don't really understand the frustration. It's an Indiana Jones film - so whatever time period it's set in, they're gonna make it exciting, and fit with the tone and narrative the franchise usually follows...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes exactly. 1938 was way grimmer than ‘69, but the Indy film was still lots of fun.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    The aesthetics are better in early mid 60s… though I suspect it will just be sort of generic 60s space race era… and not hippie culture which i agree Indiana Jones doesn’t fit in. that was anew era coming to the front and the older generation now feeling old. But I don’t think it will matter that much either way because they spend most time in remote areas of historical past which is timeless and less in contemporary society… plus flashback (flash forwards?) to Nazi era