Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

Couldn't be happier about this news! Who would have thought a couple of years ago that the creator & lead actress of Fleabag would be involved in both the James Bond and the Indiana Jones franchise? :)
  • I hope Mutt is killed off screen in a horrible accident involving swinging monkeys! I hope PWB plays an ally.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I hope Mutt is killed off screen in a horrible accident involving swinging monkeys! I hope PWB plays an ally.
    I support this!

• Actually I could see her playing Marcus Brody's daughter.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I still find it hard to believe that this film is actually going to be made! 8->

Yeah. I have the same feeling as well. It's almost like it needs a trailer to fully confirm its status. Although, I'm looking forward it and I hope it comes out good.
    I can't wait and am extremely excited about this one.
    Looking forward to seeing the first few images of Ford back in the fedora and jacket.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Yes, I'm looking forward to this film as well, not to mention the video game!

Mr_Beach wrote: »
    Indy 5 cinematographer Phedon Papamichael has just landed in Greece. Location scouting? Or just visiting home?
    Whatever the case, Greece would be a great location for the film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the first few images of Ford back in the fedora and jacket.

Yes, it's always a welcome sight. I know he's too old, but he can't get any younger so there's not much to be done about that! :)
    mtm wrote: »

Yes, it's always a welcome sight. I know he's too old, but he can't get any younger so there's not much to be done about that! :)

He looks great, and I predict mild de-aging . Covert digital facelifts have been common for years.

Although I was a bit disappointed in the last film, those first images of him released really got me excited.
    shutterstock_5885873a.jpg?w=800

For me, the fact that he's getting older all the more pumps my interest in the film. This could be amazing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,960
    Some positive (I think) info on the writers:

Yes, I know, Jez Butterworth worked on Spectre, but I get the feeling that was a collapsing movie no one person could save. He and his brother did however do Ford Vs Ferrari and Edge of Tomorrow (with MacQuarrie) so I'm hopeful.
    I wonder if any of the Koepp story has hung around. There always seem to be some bits which survive between writers.

Although I was a bit disappointed in the last film, those first images of him released really got me excited.

Yes indeed, that photo was just the most hugely exciting thing, I remember it well. They controlled it so tight as well: I think that image was the only thing we saw of it for months and months..?
    Every time I see a bit of Crystal Skull I'm always hopeful it'll be better this time :D And it does start off pretty well...
    Some positive (I think) info on the writers:

Yes, I know, Jez Butterworth worked on Spectre, but I get the feeling that was a collapsing movie no one person could save. He and his brother did however do Ford Vs Ferrari and Edge of Tomorrow (with MacQuarrie) so I'm hopeful.
    I wonder if any of the Koepp story has hung around. There always seem to be some bits which survive between writers.

Yes indeed, that photo was just the most hugely exciting thing, I remember it well. They controlled it so tight as well: I think that image was the only thing we saw of it for months and months..?
    Every time I see a bit of Crystal Skull I'm always hopeful it'll be better this time :D And it does start off pretty well...

I should revisit CRYSTAL SKULL. I actually liked it well enough. It's just not quite up there with the others for me. I love the beginning warehouse scene.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s got lots of problems (I saw recently someone pointing out how you can compare the scene where Indy is tied up, staring at the Skull to the scene in Temple where he’s forced to drink the blood, and it’s night and day as to which has more energy and spookiness, and it’s hard to deny) but it is fine enough. I’d rather watch it than a similar film like, say, The Mummy 3.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2021 Posts: 8,034
    I love the beginning warehouse scene.

One of the best set pieces from all four films, and easily the highlight of the film. Such a shame about the rest.

I just read a tweet that puts the film as taking place in 1977, if we follow Ford's actual age as a reference.

The year of The Spy Who Loved Me and Star Wars!
    The refrigerator bit still irritates me. It made the character into a Warner Brothers cartoon character. I know that Lucas was the guiding hand and Spielberg was “ just directing “ but how this was allowed in the film amazes me. The amphibious vehicle down the waterfalls is a close second.

The Indiana Jones films are adventure fantasies, I get that, but they work best when the stunts and action , while fantastic, appear plausible; hopefully the new film will go back to the roots of the first three.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited April 2021 Posts: 2,513
    I didn't even know they making Indy 5. Harrison Ford must be getting on now?
    I hope its at least better than 4 and not another film I have to deny exists (just like Die Hard 5, that never happened in my mind)

One of the best set pieces from all four films, and easily the highlight of the film. Such a shame about the rest.

I just read a tweet that puts the film as taking place in 1977, if we follow Ford's actual age as a reference.

That's not a comforting thought. The period settings of the original trilogy were perfect. The '50s setting of Crystal Skull also worked. The '60s could also be comfortable. But the era of leisure suits, bell bottoms disco and all that just doesn't fit the Indy vibe whatsoever. What's he going to say, "Hippies, I hate those guys"? Cold War was still going on, but terrorists were the bigger threat of the time. I don't see that as a threat Indy would confront.
    BT3366 wrote: »

That's not a comforting thought. The period settings of the original trilogy were perfect. The '50s setting of Crystal Skull also worked. The '60s could also be comfortable. But the era of leisure suits, bell bottoms disco and all that just doesn't fit the Indy vibe whatsoever. What's he going to say, "Hippies, I hate those guys"? Cold War was still going on, but terrorists were the bigger threat of the time. I don't see that as a threat Indy would confront.

It doesn't fill me full of confidence to think of it that way either, but knowing Mangold's western sensibilities - that he infuses into almost all of his films to varying degrees - I wouldn't be surprised if they've come up with a story that eschews the cultural norms and atmospheres of the time period the film is set in favour of something more akin to the first three.

(And that's if it's actually set in 1977, by the by, the tweet was just a bit of fun.) They could have it in the late 60s with a slight bit of de-aging that wouldn't be noticeable.

They could really go in any direction they wanted, now.
    It won't set me off of seeing it by any means, no matter when they set it. It's Indy. I've always been a bigger fan of this series than I am of Star Wars.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    The refrigerator bit still irritates me. It made the character into a Warner Brothers cartoon character.

It's never upset me: it's movie logic. And quite satisfyingly so, in fact: it's a clever solution to the problem born out of the situation we've been presented with (i.e. a normal suburban house). Maybe they could have sold it better with him not landing straight on solid ground, but it just never jarred for me. He previously jumped out of a plane and then fell off a cliff on a life raft (and before anyone says it, Mythbusters' one was huge :D )

Indy was quite a bit younger than Ford in Crystal Skull, I can see them doing it again. Late 60s, early 70s, I don't mind. Indy vs. spies or the Mafia or anything is all fine. I'd like some helicopters this time :)
    And jungles and deserts and ancient buried temples and crocodiles and snakes and horses looked much the same in the 70s as they did in the 30s! :D
    Just re-watched CRYSTAL SKULL today and enjoyed it far more than I had in the past. I even liked Shia's Mutt this time.
    I did feel Ford's age is a little over referenced here. We know he's older, no need to keep harking back to it, let's just get on with the story.
    Maybe it's the DVD transfer, but the film looks digitally processed. There's almost too much contrast and looks unnatural compared to RAIDERS.
    Still, those pet peeves aside I had a blast watching it this afternoon.
    I'm really excited for the new film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I've never disliked Mutt. I've never enormously liked him (he's certainly nowhere near as interesting as Indy's sidekick in the previous film) but I think it's no mean feat to give Indiana Jones a new, hip, teenage son sidekick and for him not to be incredibly irritating.
    I do think his name is rubbish though! :D
    I've never disliked Mutt. I've never enormously liked him (he's certainly nowhere near as interesting as Indy's sidekick in the previous film) but I think it's no mean feat to give Indiana Jones a new, hip, teenage son sidekick and for him not to be incredibly irritating.
    I do think his name is rubbish though! :D

I felt he and Ford had some good chemistry on this viewing, which I never thought before. The scene in the malt shop being particularly good. His Brando costuming was good as well. I still think his D.A. doesn't quite look right, almost as if he didn't have the right haircut for that style.
    Overall I thought he was great on this viewing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I like that first scene they have together- I think Ford is playing the whole mature man-of-the-world angle really well. And I like all of the period-flavoured lines he gets: "You don't have to get sore all the time to prove how tough you are". That's a nice line.
    The bit where Mutt dips his comb in the college boy's coke on the next table is a nice little bit of Spielberg wit too in a film which is a bit low over all on those moments.
    It won't set me off of seeing it by any means, no matter when they set it. It's Indy. I've always been a bigger fan of this series than I am of Star Wars.

I would probably be similar to you in that sense, as much as I enjoy Star Wars.
    I love that line. There's several little bits throughout that scene. Mutt taking the beer from the tray and Indy putting it back. They worked well together and had good timing.

Also when he says "Hit this guy. Joe College. Hit him hard". Love that moment.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes! And Indy stuffing his hat on some college kid to confuse the Russians :)

There are some nice moments like that peppered in there. I like the little callbacks when Indy and Dovchenko each toss the other's hat to them over their shoulders at different points in the movie :)
    I noticed quite a few nice bits throughout on this viewing.
    It's great to revisit a film, in which for me I had been indifferent to, and come away refreshed and entertained.
    I'm eager to see what Mangold has in store for INDY 5 in terms of the visual style and tone.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    talos7 wrote: »
    The refrigerator bit still irritates me. It made the character into a Warner Brothers cartoon character. I know that Lucas was the guiding hand and Spielberg was “ just directing “ but how this was allowed in the film amazes me. The amphibious vehicle down the waterfalls is a close second.

The Indiana Jones films are adventure fantasies, I get that, but they work best when the stunts and action , while fantastic, appear plausible; hopefully the new film will go back to the roots of the first three.

You could argue the cartoonish angle gradually became a thing in each succeeding sequel. I mean, this bit here really ain’t that far removed from LOONEY TUNES.

Hell, it would have perfectly fit MOONRAKER.

RAIDERS is really the film with the least amount of gags, and even what’s in there is more gruesome than cartoony.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I love the refrigerator scene. What really makes it work for me is Harrison Ford's acting when the bomb is about to go off. He really looks desperate as he's pacing the house, trying to figure out a way to save his life. And the fact the odds are so incredibly stacked against him is great, not to mention the irony of the Russian vehicle he had tried to stop, exploding as the refrigerator flies past it. The deserted town and the mannequins are also visually memorable and generate a certain creepiness.

I like Crystal Skull but it's the weakest of the four films. Every time I watch it, I almost want to go back in time, sneak into someone's office and make some changes to the script. Not even huge changes, but meaningful ones.

Anyway, I really like the whole stretch of the film between Indy meeting Mutt and them getting caught after obtaining the skull. They do some investigative work in the madhouse and the cemetary and those scenes flow very well, are intriguing plot-wise and offer good character moments.