Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

Mr_Beach wrote: »
    Indy 5 cinematographer Phedon Papamichael has just landed in Greece. Location scouting? Or just visiting home?

Do we know whether Greece is going to be a location? I've been saying for years that Greece would be the most logical primary location for a fifth adventure (so many ancient treasures to mine), so I would love to see that come true.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Greece would make sense, but I don't know if cinematographers do location recees do they? Not that it wouldn't make sense for them to. But as he's also Greek I imagine there's a fair chance it's a personal trip.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I thought that had already been announced? Am I getting confused with another Indy boxset?
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 440
    Given that it's supposed to start filming in about five months, I expect we'll be hearing some news about the filming sooner rather than later.

@mtm As far as I know, this is the first news we've had about them being restored in 4K.

I think they recently announced a new game, that might be what you're thinking of.
    double posted in error
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,957
    Given that it's supposed to start filming in about five months, I expect we'll be hearing some news about the filming sooner rather than later.

@mtm As far as I know, this is the first news we've had about them being restored in 4K.

I think they recently announced a new game, that might be what you're thinking of.

No, it definitely got mentioned in early January, with this box art popping up everywhere.
    EqmxtZQz3eJIoZBeR99_19UML1UPadS9tI99nUI5NXk.jpg?auto=webp&s=5730bba26c82cc1ca469ff7f0c2ba7455d59496a

Something seems to have changed since then but I'm not sure what (no Blu Rays in the box now). Unless that wasn't an official announcement or something.
    @mtm Ah, I remember now, yes. I believe the news got leaked early and was then denied by Paramount.

Reverse google image searching reveals that the image is a piece of fan art with a 4K bluray cover template, overlaid. Though I personally think it works much better than the actual cover.

Just checked and apparently, the sound for all four films is being remixed from the ground up into Dolby Atmos by Ben Burtt, himself.
  • Excited for this release! Can finally upgrade my DVD set ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @mtm Ah, I remember now, yes. I believe the news got leaked early and was then denied by Paramount.

Reverse google image searching reveals that the image is a piece of fan art with a 4K bluray cover template, overlaid. Though I personally think it works much better than the actual cover.

Just checked and apparently, the sound for all four films is being remixed from the ground up into Dolby Atmos by Ben Burtt, himself.

Ah cool, that makes sense. Took the wind out of this announcement a bit, but never mind. I must say the way they’ve actually reconstructed the films does sound fascinating, I just hope they’ll be available on BR too.
    mtm wrote: »

Ah cool, that makes sense. Took the wind out of this announcement a bit, but never mind. I must say the way they’ve actually reconstructed the films does sound fascinating, I just hope they’ll be available on BR too.

I think they might, Paramount has been very good about that kind of thing lately. They've even been going back and issued new Blu-ray copies for films that got 4K discs years ago.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Funnily enough, speaking of Mr Papamichael as we were at the top of the page, here he is mentioning a few things about Indiana Jones. Nothing big or juicy but it's all sounding promising that it's on properly and they'll be in the UK 'shortly' to start filming:

https://www.screendaily.com/news/qumra-21-phedon-papamichael-looks-forward-to-shooting-indiana-jones-5-at-the-uks-pinewood-studios/5158100.article#.YFDe6MqIVQU.twitter
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2021 Posts: 40,473
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge has been cast as the female lead alongside Harrison Ford in the new installment. Filming is still set to begin this summer:

https://deadline.com/2021/04/phoebe-waller-bridge-harrison-ford-indiana-jones-5-1234672236/
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I kinda dig that idea, as long as she doesn't fall into the same trap as Solo. I don't think her character went down that well, but I think this could be really good. And it's cool to see her getting a big acting role.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited April 2021 Posts: 8,025
    I’m laughing hysterically at the incels online crying about Indiana Jones potentially being woke’d by her inclusion.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Looking forward to seeing who else joins the cast (particularly the villain role). Anyone have any theories as to what they’re doing with Ravenwood?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2021 Posts: 5,869
    jake24 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing who else joins the cast (particularly the villain role). Anyone have any theories as to what they’re doing with Ravenwood?
    They could probably do something along the lines of - they're both retired, and either she's aware of the adventure and he goes, or maybe he goes without telling her which could be more likely in the interest of conflict - like what Uncharted 4 did?

Although It would be cool if she joined on the mission too, I just don't know if they'll go down that route. I'm also interested to hear how explain Mutt (LaBeouf), and what he's up to. He certainly won't appear.

I would really like to see either a female villain or henchwoman. I loved Elsa from Last Crusade and Cate Blanchett was probably one of the only good things about Crystal Skull.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Denbigh wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    They could probably do something along the lines of - they're both retired, and either she's aware of the adventure and he goes, or maybe he goes without telling her which could be more likely in the interest of conflict - like what Uncharted 4 did?

Although It would be cool if she joined on the mission too, I just don't know if they'll go down that route. I'm also interested to hear how explain Mutt (LaBeouf), and what he's up to. He certainly won't appear.

I would really like to see either a female villain or henchwoman. I loved Elsa from Last Crusade and Cate Blanchett was probably one of the only good things about Crystal Skull.

Mutts in rehab
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Mutt will probably be running his own business as a mechanic.
    I’m laughing hysterically at the incels online crying about Indiana Jones potentially being woke’d by her inclusion.

She was great as L3-37.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,957
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge has been cast as the female lead alongside Harrison Ford in the new installment. Filming is still set to begin this summer:

https://deadline.com/2021/04/phoebe-waller-bridge-harrison-ford-indiana-jones-5-1234672236/

Great! That should be lots of fun.

So funny thinking back to that to watching the first series of Fleabag on BBC Three only a few years ago- I'd have never guessed she'd be involved in Star Wars, Bond and Indiana Jones from watching that! :D

More importantly: the official Indy page on Facebook has said John Williams will be scoring it!

https://www.facebook.com/indianajones/

A new Indiana Jones adventure begins July 29, 2022. Phoebe Waller-Bridge joins the cast alongside Harrison Ford in the fifth installment of the iconic franchise. The inimitable John Williams will also return to score the film.
    Perhaps PWB will portray the villain. There are various forms of leads, after all. I've not seen anything definitive, saying that Marion is OUT of the film, though, of course, I've not seen anything saying that she would be in it, either. At this late point, one might think such information would be known. Then again, there are other roles important to the film for which casting has not been disclosed, right ? At any rate -- the big deal will be the script. After scripts have been developed and tossed for years, the prospects of a good script coming together at the last moment are not encouraging. Perhaps Mr. Spielberg, in choosing not to direct this one, did indeed, as the Knight in IJATLC would say, "choose wisely."

As for Dr. Jones being in need of an awakening, of awareness, it would include the matter of location. That is, about where should be located those treasures he has taken from their resting places. He's somewhat on target when he proclaims that they "should be in a museum !" The sticky point is -- WHICH museum ? He has a habit of removing historical items from the country in which they were found and from which he took them. Well, right up front, they described him, didn't they, and not just the Nazis, as a "raider" ? Perhaps by the time he reaches 70 years of age he'll realize those things should be back in their own countries. And for anyone who gets their undies in a twist over this idea, try this on: Would it be appropriate were the Declaration of Independence kept in a museum in any other country than the US ? Were the Magna Carta kept anywhere else but GB ? You could go on and on, with many, many examples.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,957
    Since62 wrote: »
    Perhaps PWB will portray the villain. There are various forms of leads, after all. I've not seen anything definitive, saying that Marion is OUT of the film, though, of course, I've not seen anything saying that she would be in it, either. At this late point, one might think such information would be known.

On the last one it wasn't announced she was in it until they'd been shooting for a while: they unveiled her in costume in a video for Comic Con! :)
    He has a habit of removing historical items from the country in which they were found and from which he took them. Well, right up front, they described him, didn't they, and not just the Nazis, as a "raider" ? Perhaps by the time he reaches 70 years of age he'll realize those things should be back in their own countries.

That's quite a fun idea. Maybe he raids a museum in order to repatriate some stuff! :)

I think the City of the Gods script had him raiding the college museum to retrieve the idol from Raiders, but he was drunk at the time!

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I still find it hard to believe that this film is actually going to be made! 8->
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I just came across a “ making of” Call of the Wild; Ford is in incredible shape. He can absolutely pull off one more adventure as an older but still capable Dr. Jones.
    I was thinking about the age difference...Ford already made an "age difference" film, back in 1998, with Anne Heche, 23 years ago. No problem going shirtless at the time. At any rate, for PWB to be a love interest to Indy at this point ? He's 79 and she's 36. If they play at about their own ages, then...ew...So I though perhaps she'd be a character who turns out to be his daughter ? In fact -- he'd have been 43 at her birth. However, rather odd for them to make TWO films in a row with surprise children for Indy, even though, good heavens, he might have more than just two offspring out there, all around the world. So, personally, I hope she would not play a character who's hot for Dr. Jones, and it seems silly for them to have another surprise child show up, particularly when the first one won't even be around for this film. Villain ? Perhaps just a woman who's someone involved in the story without being his sweetie, or daughter, or villain. Could be someone otherwise integral to the plot.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Donovans granddaughter.
    A relative of the Ravenwoods in some fashion.

I highly doubt it would be any sort of love interest.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I was thinking about the age difference...Ford already made an "age difference" film, back in 1998, with Anne Heche, 23 years ago. No problem going shirtless at the time. At any rate, for PWB to be a love interest to Indy at this point ? He's 79 and she's 36. If they play at about their own ages, then...ew...So I though perhaps she'd be a character who turns out to be his daughter ? In fact -- he'd have been 43 at her birth. However, rather odd for them to make TWO films in a row with surprise children for Indy, even though, good heavens, he might have more than just two offspring out there, all around the world. So, personally, I hope she would not play a character who's hot for Dr. Jones, and it seems silly for them to have another surprise child show up, particularly when the first one won't even be around for this film. Villain ? Perhaps just a woman who's someone involved in the story without being his sweetie, or daughter, or villain. Could be someone otherwise integral to the plot.

I doubt that they will be love interest.

Maybe she will be his nurse.