Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

1188189191193194

Comments

  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,790
    peter wrote: »
    Excellent review @peter - delighted that you enjoyed it so much.

    Thanks @CraigMooreOHMSS …. My desire to rewatch it remains too strong (although my wife would give me a kick in my rear… Knowing me, I will break by mid week, and I’ll have my second watch!)

    Well you've bought it presumably? It would be pointless buying it if you didn't watch it more than once!
    Have you watched the Making Of doc? It's a pretty decent one.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 7,944
    mtm wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Excellent review @peter - delighted that you enjoyed it so much.

    Thanks @CraigMooreOHMSS …. My desire to rewatch it remains too strong (although my wife would give me a kick in my rear… Knowing me, I will break by mid week, and I’ll have my second watch!)

    Well you've bought it presumably? It would be pointless buying it if you didn't watch it more than once!
    Have you watched the Making Of doc? It's a pretty decent one.

    Yes I bought it and it will be watched over and over (just without my wife, @mtm , who loved the film but she’s good at one viewing, maybe a second viewing many many many many months if not a couple years from now.!).

    She accepts, but doesn’t fully understand, that once I love a film, I jump in again and again, memorizing scenes and lines and kind of letting the film live inside of me, if that makes any sense.

    I haven’t yet watched the Making Of doc yet. I’m not quite ready to let go of the magic of the film and watch how they assembled the flick, just yet. Once the little boy in me is satisfied, I’ll watch the making of, 😂!!
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 1,394
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I know Nerdrotic has his fans here...... but Critical Doggo has the only opinion that matters.

    I really enjoy both of them.Disparu and Chris Gore from Film threat is great too.

    As from HeelzvsBabyface is a bit too much though.He shouts a lot!

    The crew from Filmento are more reserved and professional and even when they dislike something,they break it down and discuss why in a very detailed fashion.That’s why I liked their video which posted above so much.They highlighted the positives as well as the negatives and how the film could have improved in certain areas.

    For comedy value,I am looking forward to the Cinemasins video though!

    See, now I wouldn't know about those Youtubers were it not for the likes of this thread, and them living in the heads of people rent free. Not that I am subscribed to them, but I have seen a number of their collective videos, and I can't say that I completely like or dislike them. Just like there are people that I am subscribed to, where it's a bit more complex. I can agree with them on one thing, and not on another, but I like how they maybe present their view.

    I am aware of AZ too, but to my knowledge, I don't think I have followed his channel. But I do know that he has upset some people lately, over his play though of Starfield. :)) A little bit of publicity for his channel, i'm sure that won't hurt him.

    Agree that Az goes to extremes.Sometimes he is entertaining but I can only take him in small doses.His Indy 5 review while OTT was very entertaining!

    I will say there was a certain amount of glee that a lot of YouTubers took to bashing Indy 5 ( Especially when the film flopped hard ) but the filmakers brought a lot of it upon themselves with their track record ( Star Wars is all but a dead franchise now,Willow flopped so badly it was removed from D+ and Indy 5 is currently the second biggest box office bomb in Disney history next to John Carter ).

    Disney have lost the trust of a lot of their customers for other reasons such as forcing LGBTQ content into children’s entertainment.It’s no wonder they have lost millions of D+ subscribers over the last year.There was a time that parents felt safe putting their children in front of Disney films and tv but not anymore.Frankly,I’m amazed none of this kind of ideaolgy made it into Indy 5 but I guess the 1969 setting made that untenable.They still managed to put a black girlboss in there though ( Would a female POC been in such a high position in the CIA in 1969? )

    However, current franchises like John Wick and Mission Impossible have earned the respect of the YouTube community due to their constant high quality.Reviews for the latest instalments in these franchises have been pretty great across the board.

  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,790
    peter wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Excellent review @peter - delighted that you enjoyed it so much.

    Thanks @CraigMooreOHMSS …. My desire to rewatch it remains too strong (although my wife would give me a kick in my rear… Knowing me, I will break by mid week, and I’ll have my second watch!)

    Well you've bought it presumably? It would be pointless buying it if you didn't watch it more than once!
    Have you watched the Making Of doc? It's a pretty decent one.

    Yes I bought it and it will be watched over and over (just without my wife, @mtm , who loved the film but she’s good at one viewing, maybe a second viewing many many many many months if not a couple years from now.!).

    She accepts, but doesn’t fully understand, that once I love a film, I jump in again and again, memorizing scenes and lines and kind of letting the film live inside of me, if that makes any sense.

    I haven’t yet watched the Making Of doc yet. I’m not quite ready to let go of the magic of the film and watch how they assembled the flick, just yet. Once the little boy in me is satisfied, I’ll watch the making of, 😂!!

    Ha! Makes sense!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Posts: 8,636
    Thanks for the review, @peter. It mostly mirrors my own feelings and experience, and I'm glad you're on the side of us who enjoyed the film.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 7,944
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Thanks for the review, @peter. It mostly mirrors my own feelings and experience, and I'm glad you're on the side of us who enjoyed the film.

    Thank you, @j_w_pepper ! It was such a fun ride. I can't believe the frenzied,frothing commentaries... Seriously...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Posts: 13,842
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I know Nerdrotic has his fans here...... but Critical Doggo has the only opinion that matters.

    I really enjoy both of them.Disparu and Chris Gore from Film threat is great too.

    As from HeelzvsBabyface is a bit too much though.He shouts a lot!

    The crew from Filmento are more reserved and professional and even when they dislike something,they break it down and discuss why in a very detailed fashion.That’s why I liked their video which posted above so much.They highlighted the positives as well as the negatives and how the film could have improved in certain areas.

    For comedy value,I am looking forward to the Cinemasins video though!

    See, now I wouldn't know about those Youtubers were it not for the likes of this thread, and them living in the heads of people rent free. Not that I am subscribed to them, but I have seen a number of their collective videos, and I can't say that I completely like or dislike them. Just like there are people that I am subscribed to, where it's a bit more complex. I can agree with them on one thing, and not on another, but I like how they maybe present their view.

    I am aware of AZ too, but to my knowledge, I don't think I have followed his channel. But I do know that he has upset some people lately, over his play though of Starfield. :)) A little bit of publicity for his channel, i'm sure that won't hurt him.

    Agree that Az goes to extremes.Sometimes he is entertaining but I can only take him in small doses.His Indy 5 review while OTT was very entertaining!

    I will say there was a certain amount of glee that a lot of YouTubers took to bashing Indy 5 ( Especially when the film flopped hard ) but the filmakers brought a lot of it upon themselves with their track record ( Star Wars is all but a dead franchise now,Willow flopped so badly it was removed from D+ and Indy 5 is currently the second biggest box office bomb in Disney history next to John Carter ).

    Disney have lost the trust of a lot of their customers for other reasons such as forcing LGBTQ content into children’s entertainment.It’s no wonder they have lost millions of D+ subscribers over the last year.There was a time that parents felt safe putting their children in front of Disney films and tv but not anymore.Frankly,I’m amazed none of this kind of ideaolgy made it into Indy 5 but I guess the 1969 setting made that untenable.They still managed to put a black girlboss in there though ( Would a female POC been in such a high position in the CIA in 1969? )

    However, current franchises like John Wick and Mission Impossible have earned the respect of the YouTube community due to their constant high quality.Reviews for the latest instalments in these franchises have been pretty great across the board.

    I can't comment on DOD, as I haven't seen it myself. If/when... if it gets a physical release, I will buy the box set. If it doesn't get a physical release, then I won't go out of my way to stream it. I mean, I am not exactly gagging for a new Indy film. Besides, I think KOTCS should have come out in the mid 90's, and DOD in the late 90s or early 00s. Ford barely scrapped through KOTCS, so I have a very low bar for DOD. All I ask, is for it to be better than TOD.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,790
    peter wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Thanks for the review, @peter. It mostly mirrors my own feelings and experience, and I'm glad you're on the side of us who enjoyed the film.

    Thank you, @j_w_pepper ! It was such a fun ride. I can't believe the frenzied,frothing commentaries... Seriously...

    Yes it's insane. They'll twist anything to suit their agenda, it's best to ignore them. But sadly I do think they did real damage to this film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,651
    mtm wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Thanks for the review, @peter. It mostly mirrors my own feelings and experience, and I'm glad you're on the side of us who enjoyed the film.

    Thank you, @j_w_pepper ! It was such a fun ride. I can't believe the frenzied,frothing commentaries... Seriously...

    Yes it's insane. They'll twist anything to suit their agenda, it's best to ignore them. But sadly I do think they did real damage to this film.

    It will be rediscovered fully in time. It's not like the box office damage will affect the next one, eh?
  • BennyBenny keeping tabs on youAdministrator, Moderator
    Posts: 14,722
    chrisisall wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Thanks for the review, @peter. It mostly mirrors my own feelings and experience, and I'm glad you're on the side of us who enjoyed the film.

    Thank you, @j_w_pepper ! It was such a fun ride. I can't believe the frenzied,frothing commentaries... Seriously...

    Yes it's insane. They'll twist anything to suit their agenda, it's best to ignore them. But sadly I do think they did real damage to this film.

    It will be rediscovered fully in time. It's not like the box office damage will affect the next one, eh?

    Not saying it's in the same league or will be rediscovered as you say @chrisisall , but The Shawshank Redemption was considered a flop when it first came out. Along with It's A Wonderful Life.
    Audiences don't care about grosses and profits, that's the studios. Audiences want to be entertained. Judging by most posts in this thread, a lot of people enjoyed DOD.
  • Hoping we get a date for the Bluray soon! A coworker of mine says he bought one online but I don’t see any official release of it yet . Other territories maybe ?
  • Posts: 5,744
    They still managed to put a black girlboss in there though ( Would a female POC been in such a high position in the CIA in 1969? )

    Well, I don't know about the CIA, but I know for a fact that there were black Secret Service agents in the sixties, and that some of them even protected the President of the United States in 1969 (Nixon at the time).

    https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/did-president-nixon-have-black-security-guards.146311/
    Charles Gittens, the first African American Secret Service agent, joined the agency in 1956, during the Eisenhower administration. He protected Presidents Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon, and in 1971 he became the Special Agent in Charge of the Washington field office.

    Abraham Bolden joined the Secret Service in 1959, also during the Eisenhower administration, and in 1961 he became the first African American to be appointed to the White House protection detail.

    So, no, the African American agent in "The Impossible Astronaut" wasn't at all unlikely or unrealistic.
  • Posts: 1,443
    peter wrote: »
    Thanks @CraigMooreOHMSS ... Well, it's a shame I didn't see DoD sooner (the summer got away from me), but I'm genuinely pleased with the film we watched;

    Within minutes into it, my wife pointed out that I was smiling, and that smile really didn't leave my face throughout most of the viewing.

    I thought Harrison Ford was all-in on his performance. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but whatever it was, he delivered something so much more poignant.

    He portrayed a man, in the final chapters of his life, who had seen a lot, but..., more importantly, had lost too much.

    He was in genuine pain....

    Henry Jones was a lost soul when we first meet him, and I was really taken aback by how much Ford had commited himself to this aspect of Indiana. It was believable, especially since he confesses how much damage is left behind when parents lose a child. This really hit home.

    It was because of this perspective on the character, and the change of directors, that really did give the film a slightly different tone. I even thought Williams' score was darker, more melancholic. I kept thinking: this feels different than other Indy adventures, but it really does feel the same, at the same time-- if that makes sense??

    Quite honestly, the less said about the so-called "woke-ness" the better. About half way through the film, I had to remind myself that Helena was to represent all the things that helped this film bomb at the box office. All I heard was how "woke" this character and the film was.

    What utter nonsense! I saw no difference in Helena's participation in the adventure compared with Marion's in Raiders. Both are sassy, wily, highly intelligent, and both of them slugged out Indy (Marion in '81, Helena in in 2023). What the hell is so "woke" about this character, and the film? Perhaps these critics should go back and watch the original film?

    And speaking of Helena: I enjoyed PWB, but only after I had to reprogram my brain to accept that this character was not Fleabag, a show and a character I loved. It's almost as if I was expecting her to be playing a variation of this character. But once I corrected my own presumptions she was terrific in the role. Selfish, driven, sweet and yearning for her own connections with others...

    This was a different (yet same) Indian Jones film, but part of that really does come from the perspective of a man who has lost his purpose. Who feels abandoned and left behind in 1969. His true quest is to find purpose and meaning with the people he loves, and it was this adventure that delivers it to him.

    It really was a genuinely fun adventure, but with very serious themes about mortality and loss and family and love.

    I do have some issues, of course. I was a little disappointed early in the film, during the prologue, that a very obvious CG image of Indy running along the top of the train, was accompanied by the first horns of the Indy theme. That felt out of place, jarring, and just wrong to place his theme here.

    And through no fault of his own, Mangold can't build an action sequence like Spielberg did. Spielberg is a Master of escalation in his Indy action set pieces... A Master at one choice, leads to a bigger obstacle, leads to an even bigger obstacle until Indy and his companions eventually find their way out of bad situations.

    When watching Spielberg's earlier Indy films, it's almost mathematical when he design his action sequences. It's clean and makes sense.

    I enjoyed all of the action in DoD, but it didn't quite have that mathematical smoothness. It didn't have the same, clean, breeziness and magic that Spielberg brought to his four films. But I DID enjoy that in Dial's sequences they played a little more gritty. They played to Ford's/Indy's age, and that also changed the rhythm of the action, so I embraced what they were leaning into.

    (I'm also happy they kept in the old-school sound effects, like that sharp "thwack" when anyone is punched in the face, lol!)


    By the end of the film, I wanted to watch the film over again, a feeling I haven't had since The Last Crusade.

    This was a damn find send-off for Indiana Jones. A top notch action film that always kept moving forward, and a poignant and startling deep performance from Ford himself.

    I agree with you. Pity u missed it on the big screen, but glad you enjoyed it.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 1,394
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I know Nerdrotic has his fans here...... but Critical Doggo has the only opinion that matters.

    I really enjoy both of them.Disparu and Chris Gore from Film threat is great too.

    As from HeelzvsBabyface is a bit too much though.He shouts a lot!

    The crew from Filmento are more reserved and professional and even when they dislike something,they break it down and discuss why in a very detailed fashion.That’s why I liked their video which posted above so much.They highlighted the positives as well as the negatives and how the film could have improved in certain areas.

    For comedy value,I am looking forward to the Cinemasins video though!

    See, now I wouldn't know about those Youtubers were it not for the likes of this thread, and them living in the heads of people rent free. Not that I am subscribed to them, but I have seen a number of their collective videos, and I can't say that I completely like or dislike them. Just like there are people that I am subscribed to, where it's a bit more complex. I can agree with them on one thing, and not on another, but I like how they maybe present their view.

    I am aware of AZ too, but to my knowledge, I don't think I have followed his channel. But I do know that he has upset some people lately, over his play though of Starfield. :)) A little bit of publicity for his channel, i'm sure that won't hurt him.

    Agree that Az goes to extremes.Sometimes he is entertaining but I can only take him in small doses.His Indy 5 review while OTT was very entertaining!

    I will say there was a certain amount of glee that a lot of YouTubers took to bashing Indy 5 ( Especially when the film flopped hard ) but the filmakers brought a lot of it upon themselves with their track record ( Star Wars is all but a dead franchise now,Willow flopped so badly it was removed from D+ and Indy 5 is currently the second biggest box office bomb in Disney history next to John Carter ).

    Disney have lost the trust of a lot of their customers for other reasons such as forcing LGBTQ content into children’s entertainment.It’s no wonder they have lost millions of D+ subscribers over the last year.There was a time that parents felt safe putting their children in front of Disney films and tv but not anymore.Frankly,I’m amazed none of this kind of ideaolgy made it into Indy 5 but I guess the 1969 setting made that untenable.They still managed to put a black girlboss in there though ( Would a female POC been in such a high position in the CIA in 1969? )

    However, current franchises like John Wick and Mission Impossible have earned the respect of the YouTube community due to their constant high quality.Reviews for the latest instalments in these franchises have been pretty great across the board.

    I can't comment on DOD, as I haven't seen it myself. If/when... if it gets a physical release, I will buy the box set. If it doesn't get a physical release, then I won't go out of my way to stream it. I mean, I am not exactly gagging for a new Indy film. Besides, I think KOTCS should have come out in the mid 90's, and DOD in the late 90s or early 00s. Ford barely scrapped through KOTCS, so I have a very low bar for DOD. All I ask, is for it to be better than TOD.

    Agree that KOTC should have come out in the 90s as Ford was still believable as an action hero.I also think Spielberg hadn’t lost it as a filmmaker and the film would have been a lot better.

    DOD is nowhere near as good as TOD.Ford is just way too old to be an action hero in DOD and the film suffers for it.While he gives a good acting performance,he’s physically incapable of heavy action scenes ( The opening train sequence looks like it’s a cut scene from a PS3 game,and the cgi face replacement while he’s on the horse in the subway chase is obvious )

    There’s a big giant thug introduced in the film and we don’t get the traditional punch up between him and Indy because again,Ford is not capable of such fight scenes now.In fact,it’s PWB who does a lot of the physical stuff and Indy spends pretty much the last half of the film sitting down and basically being the damsel in distress before he suffers the ultimate humiliation which I won’t spoil here but if you’ve read through this thread extensively you know what it is.

    PWB has her own version of Short Round ( who basically shares the same backstory ) and is terribly written ( I will say that PWB does give a good acting performance ).The film is overlong at two and a half hours and certainly doesn’t look like a $300 million movie ( A LOT of reshoots apparently despite Mangold denying this ).

    TOD is my nostalgic favourite Indy flick partly because it was the first one I saw as a kid.The final half hour is non stop Indy action at its best and Mola Ram is easily the best villain ( Come on,the guy rips peoples hearts out! ). Overall,the trilogy should have been left as is and KOTCS and DOD should never have been made with Ford being the age he was ( In the latter case,Disney shareholders are certainly regretting DOD was made! )

  • AstonLotus wrote: »
    ( Would a female POC been in such a high position in the CIA in 1969? )

    I dunno. It seems black secret service agents did exist (cheers @Gerard), but that high up on the totem pole? Nah, probably not. Just like there probably weren’t any archeologists going off on adventures where they fought Nazis and Russians and voodoo cults over magical objects. I wonder why one bothers you and not the other?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,176
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    ( Would a female POC been in such a high position in the CIA in 1969? )

    I dunno. It seems black secret service agents did exist (cheers @Gerard), but that high up on the totem pole? Nah, probably not. Just like there probably weren’t any archeologists going off on adventures where they fought Nazis and Russians and voodoo cults over magical objects. I wonder why one bothers you and not the other?

    Time traveling Nazis? I get it. Black women in the CIA? 0/10, this movie simply defies all logic.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Posts: 12,819
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    ( Would a female POC been in such a high position in the CIA in 1969? )

    I dunno. It seems black secret service agents did exist (cheers @Gerard), but that high up on the totem pole? Nah, probably not.

    Cleopatra Jones must have been active in 1969.
  • Posts: 1,394
    Hoping we get a date for the Bluray soon! A coworker of mine says he bought one online but I don’t see any official release of it yet . Other territories maybe ?

    I think when your friend said he “ bought it online “ he meant that he bought the digital copy that is currently available on the likes of ITunes and Google Play and such.

    Then it’ll probably be on D+ and then a physical release probably
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,955
    “Probably”?

    I’d be shocked that Disney isn’t be willing to release DoD on disc.
  • Posts: 12,209
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    ( Would a female POC been in such a high position in the CIA in 1969? )

    I dunno. It seems black secret service agents did exist (cheers @Gerard), but that high up on the totem pole? Nah, probably not. Just like there probably weren’t any archeologists going off on adventures where they fought Nazis and Russians and voodoo cults over magical objects. I wonder why one bothers you and not the other?

    Couldn't make a better response if I tried @thelivingroyale, well done.
  • Posts: 1,394
    “Probably”?

    I’d be shocked that Disney isn’t be willing to release DoD on disc.

    I meant the order that they will release it.

    First digital to rent or buy.

    Than D+ to stream.

    Then a physical 4K disc release.

  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,955
    Yeah that’s how they did it with AVATAR 2. They were probably hoping for Indy have as strong legs as that.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 3,958
    Yeah that’s how they did it with AVATAR 2. They were probably hoping for Indy have as strong legs as that.

    There is a difference though: we're still talking about Indy 5. I really don't hear anyone still talking about Avatar 2, not even a full year after it's release. That's a sign that Avatar 2 isn't aging well. But Indy 5 just might.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2023 Posts: 7,944
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Yeah that’s how they did it with AVATAR 2. They were probably hoping for Indy have as strong legs as that.

    There is a difference though: we're still talking about Indy 5. I really don't hear anyone still talking about Avatar 2, not even a full year after it's release. That's a sign that Avatar 2 isn't aging well. But Indy 5 just might.

    It is a fun film, and hopefully more sensible voices will now be heard (haters like to storm things,create as much destruction as they can, thn move to the next "offence"....), so hopefullyIndy does have a nice bounce in the digital sales.

    Honestly, it's the furthest thing from any agenda other than telling a damn good and entertaining story.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,955
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Yeah that’s how they did it with AVATAR 2. They were probably hoping for Indy have as strong legs as that.

    There is a difference though: we're still talking about Indy 5. I really don't hear anyone still talking about Avatar 2, not even a full year after it's release. That's a sign that Avatar 2 isn't aging well. But Indy 5 just might.

    Why would we talk about AVATAR 2 in an Indy thread. ;)

    I get what you mean though, but I don’t think that comparison works. Indy 5 had only just hit digital and many are seeing it for the first time through that right now, so it’s not surprising that chatter is still going about Indy 5. Let’s see if people still talk about Indy 5 in 2024. I only brought up AVATAR 2 because its release on home media is being mirrored with Indy 5. There was no announcement of a disc release of AVATAR 2 until this very summer, and I suspect we won’t hear about it for Indy 5 until late in the fall.

    That said, AVATAR 2 was way better as a film going experience. My audience had a more notable reaction to that film compared to the tempered one for INDY 5. When the closing credits started, there was barely a clap. It was a very muted audience, understandable given it was such a somber film. AVATAR 2? Big applause, and well earned.

    And I didn’t even like the first film that much.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 1,394
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Yeah that’s how they did it with AVATAR 2. They were probably hoping for Indy have as strong legs as that.

    There is a difference though: we're still talking about Indy 5. I really don't hear anyone still talking about Avatar 2, not even a full year after it's release. That's a sign that Avatar 2 isn't aging well. But Indy 5 just might.

    Avatar 2 made over 2 billion dollars,and three more sequels ( at least) on the way.There were those who said before the film released that said it had been too long since the first one or that the first movie was a “ fluke “ and that it would struggle to make even half what the first movie made.

    It made 2 billion and the audience loved it.Not much more to discuss until the next sequel comes.

    Indy 5 couldn’t even crack $400 million and the main topic of discussion is how bad it was,and even the more positive reviews online are along the lines of “ Well at least it wasn’t as bad as Crystal Skull “.The audience reaction I witnessed in my theater after the film finished was just dead silence and no one laughed at any of the jokes in the movie or anything.The audience was just apathetic to the film.My Avatar 2 theater experience had people gasping at a lot of the visuals and action scenes.

    I know Indy 5 has its fans here but it’s generally regarded as a poor film and will be forever known as the one film in the franchise that flopped hard and should never have been made.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2023 Posts: 14,790
    “Probably”?

    I’d be shocked that Disney isn’t be willing to release DoD on disc.

    I was a bit worried after all their moves to stop making discs in Australia and barely releasing the score to this on CD, but then I saw they're releasing Mandalorian and Prey and Winter Soldier etc. on Blu Ray, so I'm pretty sure we'll get this.
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Yeah that’s how they did it with AVATAR 2. They were probably hoping for Indy have as strong legs as that.

    There is a difference though: we're still talking about Indy 5. I really don't hear anyone still talking about Avatar 2, not even a full year after it's release. That's a sign that Avatar 2 isn't aging well. But Indy 5 just might.

    Why would we talk about AVATAR 2 in an Indy thread. ;)

    I get what you mean though, but I don’t think that comparison works. Indy 5 had only just hit digital and many are seeing it for the first time through that right now, so it’s not surprising that chatter is still going about Indy 5. Let’s see if people still talk about Indy 5 in 2024. I only brought up AVATAR 2 because its release on home media is being mirrored with Indy 5. There was no announcement of a disc release of AVATAR 2 until this very summer, and I suspect we won’t hear about it for Indy 5 until late in the fall.

    That said, AVATAR 2 was way better as a film going experience. My audience had a more notable reaction to that film compared to the tempered one for INDY 5. When the closing credits started, there was barely a clap. It was a very muted audience, understandable given it was such a somber film. AVATAR 2? Big applause, and well earned.

    And I didn’t even like the first film that much.

    I completely believe that Avatar 2 is the better film, I can just never quite bring myself to watch it! It just doesn't interest me at all. I guess I will at some point though.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,955
    mtm wrote: »
    “Probably”?

    I’d be shocked that Disney isn’t be willing to release DoD on disc.

    I was a bit worried after all their moves to stop making discs in Australia and barely releasing the score to this on CD, but then I saw they're releasing Mandalorian and Prey and Winter Soldier etc. on Blu Ray, so I'm pretty sure we'll get this.

    Disney knows there will be collectors/completists who go straight for those kind of titles more so than something like ELEMENTALS or JUNGLE CRUISE. Geek culture can always be depended on when it comes to physical media. And nobody knows that better than LucasFilm.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,790
    mtm wrote: »
    “Probably”?

    I’d be shocked that Disney isn’t be willing to release DoD on disc.

    I was a bit worried after all their moves to stop making discs in Australia and barely releasing the score to this on CD, but then I saw they're releasing Mandalorian and Prey and Winter Soldier etc. on Blu Ray, so I'm pretty sure we'll get this.

    Disney knows there will be collectors/completists who go straight for those kind of titles more so than something like ELEMENTALS or JUNGLE CRUISE. Geek culture can always be depended on when it comes to physical media. And nobody knows that better than LucasFilm.

    True, but they've only just decided that.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,955
    I think they hoped streaming would crush physical media a lot more than it ultimately has.
Sign In or Register to comment.