Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Damn, I just heard about this. Sure, it's not all that surprising but it's not something I was expecting to read about.
    Lets all try and take good care of ourselves, people. Eat right, get enough rest and get in some excersise.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Oh my, I can't believe this. Gandolfini gone. :(

RIP, you wonderfully talented guy!
  • 51...brings ones own motralilty right home...l knew he was suffering from high blood pressure and stress...brilliant actor who brought to us a defining character that will live with us for a very long time.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Very sad, he was an amazing actor. RIP
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2013 Posts: 17,805
    Not familiar with his work, but sad news indeed. It seems ironic indeed that he died in Italy, though.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Not familiar with his work, but sad news indeed. It seems appropriate that he died in Italy, though.

I would rephrase that though. :-)

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Not familiar with his work, but sad news indeed. It seems appropriate that he died in Italy, though.

I would rephrase that though. :-)

Yes, I was looking for the right word without sounding crass. Have fixed it to something less offensive now. Sorry.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    RIP James. A great shock to read this.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    What a shock it was. I just saw The Sopranos a few months ago and was stunned by his amazing performance throughout the series. Such a great talent. RIP, James Gandolfini.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Very upset to hear of James Gandolfini's passing yesterday. Feels like just yesterday I was watching him in 'Killing Them Softly' and reminiscing on how wonderful of an actor he is. RIP, James.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Sad to hear, I remember watching The Sopranos when it first aired here.

And i'm not familiar with his work, but Vince Flynn, author of the Mitch Rapp books has passed away, aged 47:
    http://www.imdb.com/news/ni55820105/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t4
    Sad to hear of James Gandolfini's passing. Fine actor. Would have loved to have seen him in a Bond film, either as a villain or ally.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

And i'm not familiar with his work, but Vince Flynn, author of the Mitch Rapp books has passed away, aged 47:

I've never read his novels, but I've see his name in every bookstore I enter and have heard some good reviews from his books. RIP.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I can't even think straight right now! I was just talking with @timmer about how brilliant Vince and his Mitch Rapp novels were, and now he's gone! One of my favorite writers indeed. I knew he was battling prostate cancer, but never expected him to die, as he was doing well for all I knew... :((
    Tracy wrote:
    James Gandolfini , 51.

Completely shocked at this! It is no age in this day! RIP James! ^:)^
    RIP Sopranos actor James Gandolfini. Gone too soon. Great actor. Sopranos great show.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Sorry to hear about Vince Flynn. I'd caught wind that health had not been a strong point for him, as it would appear from the Imdb blurb posted by @MajorDSmythe.
    I was just getting into his books. Very exciting stuff. I've only read the two, the two Mitch Rapp prequels.
    There will probably be at least one posthumous release.
    Oh well, lots of time to catch up on his earlier Rapp adventures.
    Man, whose going to take the battle to the terrorists now?!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    timmer wrote:
    Sorry to hear about Vince Flynn. I'd caught wind that health had not been a strong point for him, as it would appear from the Imdb blurb posted by @MajorDSmythe.
    I was just getting into his books. Very exciting stuff. I've only read the two, the two latest Mitch Rapp prequels.
    There will probably be at least one posthumour release.
    Oh well, lots of time to catch up on his earlier Rapp adventures.
    Man, whose going to take the battle to the terrorists now?!

I just realized a few hours ago that we will never get another Rapp novel by Vince. I have been a brooding wreck all day at this news. I always listen to any interviews he gives, and there are a good number where he was very open about his cancer. He seemed to be in good health and improving, but I guess his health took a bad turn recently, unfortunately. Like Rapp himself, the man was a warrior till the end, and it doesn't take an analyst to realize that the literary world has lost one of its greatest contributors.
    I just realized a few hours ago that we will never get another Rapp novel by Vince. I have been a brooding wreck all day at this news. I always listen to any interviews he gives, and there are a good number where he was very open about his cancer. He seemed to be in good health and improving, but I guess his health took a bad turn recently, unfortunately. Like Rapp himself, the man was a warrior till the end, and it doesn't take an analyst to realize that the literary world has lost one of its greatest contributors.
    I feel your pain. Only 47 years old. At least he managed to get his two prequels out. It does hit hard, as I only just finished American Assassin, so I am very much still experiencing Vince Flynn hangover.
    I thought there may be another book in the works, but if he was that bothered by health issues, than Mitch Rapp #13 The Last Man published last year may indeed be his final work.
    14 books total, same as Fleming-Bond. Actually I've read 3. I also read Term Limits, his first book, way back, and the only non-Rapp book. I read it on spec. Someone had given it to my dad. I found it lying around, so I started reading it and finished it, which I hadn't expected to do.

http://www.vinceflynn.com/index.html

blog-header.jpg
    Vince Flynn's funeral from Monday June 24th at St. Paul's Cathedral in St. Paul Minnesota.
    Over 2500 mourners attended. He died, age 47, of an aggressive form of prostate cancer, that he had been battling for two years.
    Flynn1.jpg
    More pictures, video, and story here
    http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1029778/391/Thousands-of-mourners-crowd-St-Paul-Cathedral-to-remember-Vince-Flynn

"The St. Paul native sold more than 15 million books in the U.S. His 14th novel, "The Last Man," was published last year"
    According to the article, he had been working on a 15th book, so considering his popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if someone finishes it for him.

==
    Another giant passes away. Age 87.
    Some very familiar titles listed below.
    "Over the decades Hollywood turned frequently to his writing for its twisty but humanist genre storytelling. Films adapted from his works include The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957), The Pit and the Pendulum (1961), Steven Spielberg’s Duel (1971), Somewhere in Time (1980), the Will Smith-starrer I Am Legend (2007), and Real Steel (2011). "
    The sad thing is, just like Robert Ludlum before him, some writers will continue Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp stories, and again just like with Ludlum's Bourne it will never be the same. I would rather have no Rapp than Rapp by other writers.
    Well at least if there is one final Rapp, we know at least it's a finishing of something he was actually working on.
    I completely don't get what happened with posthumous Ludlum. I counted 3 posthumous books, that were supposedly completions of books Ludlum had started. What, he had three books on the go when he died?!
    But oddly enough, all three were quite good reads. Maybe he did have the basic stories constructed in advance. Who knows.
    The really bad post-Ludlum IMO was, and is the continuation stuff such as the Covert One books and the Janson sequel.
    I do like the Bourne continuations, as Erik van Lustbader has made them his own, much like John Gardner did with Bond.

With Flynn, I suspect we might get his final project completed and that might be it, although you just know that publishers will at least be considering the idea of hiring someone to continue Mitch Rapp.
    I don't think it would work though, because Flynn's stamp is all over Rapp. I am not sure anyone else could do the character justice.
    timmer wrote:
    Well at least if there is one final Rapp, we know at least it's a finishing of something he was actually working on.
    I completely don't get what happened with posthumous Ludlum. I counted 3 posthumous books, that were supposedly completions of books Ludlum had started. What, he had three books on the go when he died?!
    But oddly enough, all three were quite good reads. Maybe he did have the basic stories constructed in advance. Who knows.
    The really bad post-Ludlum IMO was, and is the continuation stuff such as the Covert One books and the Janson sequel.
    I do like the Bourne continuations, as Erik van Lustbader has made them his own, much like John Gardner did with Bond.

With Flynn, I suspect we might get his final project completed and that might be it, although you just know that publishers will at least be considering the idea of hiring someone to continue Mitch Rapp.
    I don't think it would work though, because Flynn's stamp is all over Rapp. I am not sure anyone else could do the character justice.

You know some people will do anything to make a buck, regardless of how the fans feel.
    Bottom line, if there's a market, publishers will serve it.
    I can't for the life of me understand how the Covert One books have survived. I guess there are enough of us Ludlum fans that read them out of curiosity.
    The Bourne books I understand though. I think they sell reasonably well and EVL is a pretty decent writer in his own right.
    A revived Rapp series would only work if the first entry resonates with fans. If it doesn't sell, a revival will die.
    My cat Kenny died the other day :(
    BAIN123 wrote:
    That can be very upsetting. How old was it?

Sorry to hear that @BAIN123. RIP.
    timmer wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    That can be very upsetting. How old was it?

Well he was a stray when we got him 11 years ago so don't know exactly how old he was. He was fully grown then though so I'd say about 14-15.
    Well that was very nice of you to rescue the stray all those years ago, and give it a good long life.

===Edit re Vince Flynn: Upon further review, I am leaning towards @OBradyM's position re continuation of Mitch Rapp novels. I don't want them, in fact I am not even curious.
    The reality is that the Rapp novels were infused with Flynn's attitudes and sense of justice. Rapp was his baby. Best to leave it alone.
    I am sure now, that I wouldn't read a non-Flynn Rapp novel.
    If Rapp is to continue it should be in cinema, where his character would inevitably be tweaked, but such is the nature of cinema. Book-Rapp though would remain unchanged.