Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bruce Hyde has passed away on the 14th. Best known for playing Kevin Riley from Star Trek the original series in 2 episodes.
    lt_kevin_riley.jpg
    RIP.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wood was a great novelist, judging from his TSWLM novelization.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sad to hear about the death of Christopher Wood, I loved his two Bond Books.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Murdock wrote: »
    Bruce Hyde has passed away on the 14th. Best known for playing Kevin Riley from Star Trek the original series in 2 episodes.
    lt_kevin_riley.jpg
    RIP.

That's sad. He is one of those actors that I remember well from Star Trek even if he only had a few moments in it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2015 Posts: 28,694
    Sometimes the world has a powerful way of showing you how ridiculous and insignificant our everyday problems are, of what one said cruelly to us or what we, in a moment of weakness, spat back to them.

Last year around this time, as the fall air arrived crisp and biting, I said goodbye to my grandfather, who had passed after his brave fight with both Alzheimer's and diabetes. Now, barely a year later, I now must say goodbye to his wife, my dearest grandmother Emily.

Throughout most of my grandmother's life, she was fighting. Raising my mother and her four brothers, she took what little money the family had to craft a living for her kids and strived to keep a roof over their heads. Facing her first major heart surgery at the youthful age of thirty, so began a lifetime of survival, as she encountered just about every condition/illness you could ever fathom, save for cancer, by some miracle.

I was privileged to watch this fight for the total of the years of my life thus far, instilling me with the false sense that immortality could be possessed and reigned in, and that my grandmother had acquired such an ability. It became a running joke throughout the years as she was shipped off to the hospital for testing that "she would be fine," "that it was nothing" and that she would be back home again well and good that very next day, remaining in that fighting spirit, because she always came out of it on top. No matter how much doctors stacked the odds heavily against her, there she stood, defiant and always hanging on. Of course, there comes a time when those who've fought every single day of their lives, either against the health conditions that plague them or the financial straits that stand in the way of their family's stability, simply get tired of fighting and crave a rest. Such was the case this morning for my grandmother.

My family had spoken to her the previous day, her voice faded and quite distant, as if she was barely aware of her surroundings or able to conceptualize thought. Somehow we all had to come to the conclusion that maybe, the fight was finally gone, the battle over. In a moment that proved quite chillingly prophetic, she spoke in a broken voice, "I'm tired." The past year dealing with the loss of my grandfather was immense for her, and she often felt in the doldrums, unable to rise from bed, and if she managed it, she would soon return again to sleep, lacking the energy to stay up. It is clear that for this warrior, the fight had ended long before the final fall.

Though my grandfather's last years were marked with Alzheimer's, which changed his personality completely and required my grandmother to be at his side constantly as he soon became unable to leave the bed, she would've still carried that burden, as painful as it was, just to have him in her life again. After my grandfather's passing, though the weight of responsibility had lifted from her shoulders, he took a part of her soul along with him on his journey to a greater peace, and so much of that fighting spirit.

My family and I have spent much of the morning reflecting on what we've learned from my grandmother's wise example, of fighting and fighting and living your life to the very fullest, despite limitations. Though her passing takes a part of us in turn, we had no right to ask of her to fight on and remain living when she found no joy or pleasure in it, always racked with pain and gloom and missing her great love, Martin. It has always amazed me how a woman with such a big heart could face such unbearable heart conditions throughout her eighty years on this earth. It is this heart from which I have taken so many of my greatest lessons, as my grandmother displayed time and time again how she was wise beyond understanding, and capable of knowing so much while always having so little. As our grandparents die, they take with them their life narratives, great histories of struggles which we couldn't hope to grasp in our more privileged lives. I am down to one
    grandparent this day, and so I ask of everyone to cherish the elders they have left, as they truly are treasures to be cherished. We can learn so very much from those like my grandmother, figures of history who've faced challenges of every size and shape in their lives against all odds and plausibility.

It will be strange going on now with the realization that a woman I have held more dear than words can describe is one whose sweet voice I'll never hear again, and whose touch I will never be able to feel in a delicate but loving embrace. I've spent so much of my life simply staring at her, marveled at all she was able to survive, and feeling such an honor to be there with her in that moment. I am, and always have been honored to call myself her grandson, to feel her own blood running in my veins. Though my heart aches deeply, and many days of emptiness will come after this one, I have not a single regret for a day I spent near her, always taking notes about how a life is to be lead, and how love is to be spread to those we let into our worlds, as she displayed it all so beautifully, as if it was rehearsed. No, the sole regret I have now is that the rest of the world has lost out on the chance to know my grandmother in the same fashion as I have, to
    learn the lessons she taught so willingly to me, almost as if we were the only people left in the world, and she was doing me the friendly courtesy of offering a firm hand to hold and a story to hear, if I had the time to spare. Her story, of a strong, wise survivor, must now be closed, its chapters long and trying, but thankfully, its conclusion peaceful and calm. The fighter has earned her rest.
    I'm really sorry to read this 0Brady, especially relatively soon after your granddad's passing and all that he went through. If you want to PM me feel free.
    Died today 17th October.

Loved what he did with TSWLM and MR.

May he rest in peace.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RIP to Christopher Wood. Despite the criticisms, both films definitely have their moments.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Rest in peace.

Thank you for your work on what is, to many casual & die hard Bond fans (including myself) one of the top five most iconic films in the franchise, namely TSWLM.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    ....and he blended the novelizations quite nicely into the literary James Bond for the most part.

Other than John Pearson that's all the literary Bond ya got in the 70s.
    He had also a career as a writer of sex novels, some having been adapted for the big screen :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Wood_(writer)

Rosie_Dixon-Night_Nurse.jpg

Confessions_from_a_holiday_camp.jpg

And the screenwriter who adpated the Destroyer novels :

220px-Remowilliamsposter.jpg

Found on IMDB, about his work on MR :

"I felt like being James Bond myself; travel to exotic places, private Lear-jets, the best food and wine, beautiful women, beautiful situations -and getting paid for it!"
    RIP Mr Wood :-(. You'll be greatly missed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Truly sorry for your loss, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.

Your Grandmother sounds like a wonderful lady.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I'm really sorry to read this 0Brady, especially relatively soon after your granddad's passing and all that he went through. If you want to PM me feel free.
    Truly sorry for your loss, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.

Your Grandmother sounds like a wonderful lady.

Thanks, lads. I needed this today. :)>-
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2015 Posts: 17,809
    Very sad to hear of the death of Christopher Wood. Another literary/film Bond icon gone. He would evidently have made a fantastic Bond continuation author based on his novelisations of TSWLM and MR. I am at work on an article on his MR novelisation currently and will of course now dedicate it to him on my blog.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Rest in Peace, Christopher Wood!

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm very sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing. She most certainly sounded like a wonderful, loving person. PM me if you need to talk at all, brother.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Rest in Peace, Christopher Wood!

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm very sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing. She most certainly sounded like a wonderful, loving person. PM me if you need to talk at all, brother.

Thank you brother, all the love is appreciated and reciprocated.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Sorry about your loss! May she rest in peace.

RIP Christopher Wood and thanks for your contributions to Bond!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RIP, Chris Wood!

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, Hang in there, mate. Talk to me any time you feel like it! The loss of your grandmother saddens me.
    Actress Maureen O'Hara passed away yesterday (Oct. 24) at 95. :(

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/24/maureen-ohara-quiet-man-dies-aged-95

I've seen several of her films over the last few years, and she always had a magnetic presence whenever she was on the screen. She will be missed. R.I.P.
    RIP Maureen O'Hara. Great actress, beautiful and with a great talent for
    Light comedy.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    RIP Maureen O'Hara. Great actress, beautiful and with a great talent for
    Light comedy.

Indeed a grand lady of cinema before effects became so important. May she be remembered for her work and may she rest in peace.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    This is more personal than anything but still wanted to share in case other fans might be able to relate.

Since TSWLM my dad and I had seen every Bond in the cinema. Well not SF he was too sick so I watched on Bluray with him. (I had already seen SF several times in the theater.)

But SP will be the first Bond in my life that I didn't get to see with my dad. Ok so it's just a movie .. but no not really ..not when memory and nostalgia are attached to it.

On a happy note SP will be the first Bond film I see in the cinema with my kids.
    Sorry to hear,I have great memories of watching Bond on tv at Christmas with my late father as
    well.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Sorry to hear,I have great memories of watching Bond on tv at Christmas with my late father as
    well.

Thank you ..yes I can relate to that as well. My parents named my after Sean Connery so I was doomed from the start.

Sorry for your loss as well.

Just heard that Melissa Mthison, the screenwriter of "ET", has died yesterday at 65.

edition.cnn.com/2015/11/04/entertainment/et-screenwriter-melissa-mathison-feat/index.html

Today, ET is crying.
  • Damn, Harrison Ford's ex-wife. I feel so sorry for him & their kids
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The horror world lost a legend: Gunnar Hansen, who played the original Leatherface, has passed away at 68.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Because for this occasion it's not in bad taste to say, Rest in pieces, Gunnar. Your legacy will live on!

Leatherface-700x300-351x185.jpg