Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes So this is it. This joke is played out.
    Thank you all for the very kind words, it means a lot.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 27 Posts: 33,826
    Cloris Leachman has died at the age of 94 due to natural causes:

https://www.tmz.com/2021/01/27/cloris-leachman-dead-dies-94/
  • DragonpolDragonpol The Crazy World of David Dragonpol
    edited January 27 Posts: 13,694
    The actor Bruce Kirby died on 24 January 2021, aged 95. He played Sergeant Kramer in six episodes of Columbo as well as other characters like a lab technician and a TV repair man. He was the last surviving recurring bit part player in Columbo.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy N.Ireland
    RIP Bruce Kirby and Cloris Leachman a truly talented actress
    I always loved Leachman in the opening of Kiss Me Deadly.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Hamburg, near the Atlantic Hotel
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Cloris Leachman has died at the age of 94 due to natural causes:

https://www.tmz.com/2021/01/27/cloris-leachman-dead-dies-94/

Rest in peace, Frau Blücher [horses neighing nervously].
    I heard about both Cloris Leachman and Cicely Tyson. I have seen both actresses in movies and television shows since I was a girl of six or seven. It feels as if another part of my childhood has passed. By the way, did any of you know that Ms. Tyson had appeared in an episode of the 1965-68 series, "I SPY"?

R.I.P. Ms. Tyson. R.I.P. Ms. Leachman.
    While watching BBC News today, I learned that guitar player, and former member of the Animals, Hilton Vlentine has passed away, aged 77 :

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/hilton-valentine-founding-animals-guitarist-dies-77-75593817

It's sure that this song wouldn't have been the success it was if there hasn't been for that guitar intro :

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Hamburg, near the Atlantic Hotel
    Gerard wrote: »
    While watching BBC News today, I learned that guitar player, and former member of the Animals, Hilton Vlentine has passed away, aged 77 :

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/hilton-valentine-founding-animals-guitarist-dies-77-75593817

It's sure that this song wouldn't have been the success it was if there hasn't been for that guitar intro :

Yeah, you're right. This is one of the earliest Englsih-language pop/rock songs I remember, and the guitar riff in the beginning will forever remain an icon.
  • That guitar riff is a rite of passage for beginning guitar players. Learn it or ... forever be condemned to playing rhythm guitar. Hilton Valentine -- man,what a name! -- will live on in our memories. Here's another Animals cut with HV defining the song from the very beginning:
    Actor Dustin Diamond of Saved By The Bell fame has passed away after a recent aggressive cancer diagnosis:

https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/01/dustin-diamond-saved-by-the-bell-star-dead-44-stage-4-cancer-screech/
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Actor Dustin Diamond of Saved By The Bell fame has passed away after a recent aggressive cancer diagnosis:

https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/01/dustin-diamond-saved-by-the-bell-star-dead-44-stage-4-cancer-screech/

Jeez I liked saved by the bell Rest In Peace man
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    It has been reported that actor Hal Holbrook has died.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/02/theater/hal-holbrook-dead.html
  • edited February 2 Posts: 3,026
    Aw thats sad news R.I.P. Hal Holbrook, one of THE great character actors .
    Capricorn One Magnum Force, and of course All The Presidents Men.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Still waiting for the Jena Malone Batwoman movie that's never going to be made.Moderator
    Not to mention Father Malone in The Fog.

RIP
  • edited February 2 Posts: 1,231
    Very aggressive cancer , 2 months later and mr Diamond is gone

Loved Holbrook as Callaghans corrupt boss
    Sad news about Hal Holbrook. I watched him just last year for the first time in Magnum Force and he was brilliant in that. I enjoyed the twist at the end as I didn't see it coming at all!
  • edited February 2 Posts: 4,501
    Farewell, Sir Tom. You've been an inspiration to millions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-55881753

Dragonpol wrote: »
    Sad news about Hal Holbrook. I watched him just last year for the first time in Magnum Force and he was brilliant in that. I enjoyed the twist at the end as I didn't see it coming at all!
    "People are guilty until proven...l mean...Goddamn it, you know what l mean." I agree--as Lieutenant Briggs he was great. A classic film. All The President's Men is a fave of mine too, and just the other day I was thinking about Wall Street, and his role in that.
    Very sad to hear of the death of the inspirational Captain Sir Tom Moore. Long may his memory last.
  • BennyBenny ...OctobennyModerator
    RIP to Hal Holbrook, a great character actor who seemed to appear in every film in the 70's and 80's. Such was his presence.
    A sad loss to a hero in every sense of the word, Captain Sir Tom Moore. An inspiration to all. The world was a better place by having you in it. RIP.
    R. I. P. Hal he was memorable in all the films mentioned, good actor. Capricorn One is one of my favourite films I will give it a rewatch sometime this week.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Defender of Timothy Dalton, George Lazenby & Éric Serra!
    RIP Mr Holbrook.

Great actor.
    CAPRICORN ONE, along with BLACK SUNDAY, are probably my 2 favorite films of the 70s, outside of the Bond films. Criminally underrated!!

And MAGNUM FORCE is every bit as good as DIRTY HARRY. It’s the next 3 films that really dropped the ball.

RIP Hal Holbrook
    CAPRICORN ONE, along with BLACK SUNDAY, are probably my 2 favorite films of the 70s, outside of the Bond films. Criminally underrated!!

And MAGNUM FORCE is every bit as good as DIRTY HARRY. It’s the next 3 films that really dropped the ball.

RIP Hal Holbrook

Love 'Black Sunday' great direction by John Frankenheimar. That ending is superb! And Bruce Dern is brilliant in it!
  • edited February 4 Posts: 426
    Mathis1 wrote: »

RIP Hal Holbrook

Love 'Black Sunday' great direction by John Frankenheimar. That ending is superb! And Bruce Dern is brilliant in it!
    Absolutely!!! And a suspenseful score by John Williams to boot!

But the Jerry Goldsmith score for CAPRICORN ONE is even more sublime!!

Mathis1 wrote: »

RIP Hal Holbrook

Absolutely!!! And a suspenseful score by John Williams to boot!

But the Jerry Goldsmith score for CAPRICORN ONE is even more sublime!!

Totally agree!
    talos7 wrote: »

I've heard that comparison before. It's undeniable in those pictures. I think I saw one or two of those films and he did a good job from what I recall. No worse than Ron Ely of the Tarzan TV series of the time, at the very least. I didn't realize he was in so many other films during the '70s. I'll be looking for him more closely next time I watch those.