Sacha Baron Cohen Plans Paramount Bond Parody

2»

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That helicopter scene was pretty funny. I'll admit, I'm a bad person, as well. I think comedy can be seen in anything, and it's not so much a matter of 'too soon' or not, it's just being open enough to joke about certain things.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    There's a fine line between comedy and tragedy. Anytime people aren't shown hurt on screen (or off) something can be funny.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I also laughed at that clip. I need to see The Dictator, loved Borat but thought Bruno was pretty crap, so I hope this new one is good.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I found The Dictator indeed hit and miss. Some scenes are genius, but they are followed up by very cheap some-drunk-guy-in-the-bar humour. The kind of guy that is taken outside not too long after.
    Bruno wasn't either good or bad, but Borat I found to be very entertaining. Both Borat and The Dictator are political jabs at the US though.
    Him making an 007 spoof doesn't appeal to me, and the ' brother i never knew i had is an idiot' theme has been done often enough. So up to now there's not much to look foreward to. There are so many good spoofs: Get Smart, Johnny English, Austin Powers.. Nope, I'm not impressed.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    He hasn't made anything good since Borat.
    I disagree. Watched 'The Dictator' a couple of days ago. It was a laugh riot! I welcome his Bond-spoof attempt.

Ok fine, I just watched that clip and giggled like I did in the cinema. Does that mean I'm a bad person? :p

I you don't laugh, the terrorists will win.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm just not a fan of Cohen's. I've heard his dramatic work is very good, but I hated both 'Bruno' and 'Borat,' the fallout of terrible 'Very nice.' quotes that plagued my high school hallways after the latter film was released. I've heard 'The Dictator' is very hit-or-miss, and it seems like it may produce a few chuckles, but nothing more. I will commend Cohen for crossing the line in comedy and bringing up comedy in territories that are not often touched on, but other than that, I'm just not crazy about his films.

This is the biggest laugh I've ever gotten out of his work, and it wasn't even because of him:

Well, he will be playing Freddy Mercury in a biopic soon, so we'll have to see how he does in a serious role.
  • RC7RC7
    Is anybody reading Mark Millar's 'The Secret Service'? It's about a Bond esque agent who tries to help his down and out South London Chav of a nephew by having him enrol in the service. It's got tonnes of parody moments, including a great riff on TSWLM opening. I'd much rather see something like that made than this potential mess.
    Just another Bond spoof. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Helm, Flint, Powers, now this. Whatever. I'll check it out when I don't have to pay for it.

dont forget Moore
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 126
    He already did it

The HBO show is funnier than the movies