Sacha Baron Cohen Plans Paramount Bond Parody

tqbtqb
edited August 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,022
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=93317
Sacha Baron Cohen, who worked with the studio earlier this year in The Dictator, has sold a comedy pitch to Paramount Pictures that parodies the "James Bond" franchise. Variety has the news, saying that the pitch arrives from both Cohen and Phil Johnston (Cedar Rapids, Wreck-It Ralph).

Still without a title, the plot follows a secret agent who learns that he has a long-lost brother, a dimwitted soccer fan, with whom he must team up.

There's no guarantee that Cohen is planning to star, but it's very likely that he'll take on one (or both) role(s).

Comments

[lets out sigh]. Its been done many times before.

Why not come up with another good idea instead of yet another Bond parody.
  • If this gets the green light it with either be comedy genius or too predictable and fall flat. As actonsteve states, it's been done before. Perhaps too many times!
  • So what countries will he be poorly stereotyping?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    So what countries will he be poorly stereotyping?

Great Britain i guess.
  • He hasn't made anything good since Borat.

I'm betting that the Bond parody character will be a posh British stereotype, and his football (not soccer) loving brother will be a cockney british stereotype.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I think it can be pretty fun, even though Austin Powers works better as a parody i'm sure.
  • He hasn't made anything good since Borat.

I'm betting that the Bond parody character will be a posh British stereotype, and his football (not soccer) loving brother will be a cockney british stereotype.
    I agree. I can see why some people could find him funny, but to me he just makes fun of cultures in a simplified way.

• RC7RC7
    edited August 2012 Posts: 10,512
    This sounds ****

MOD EDIT: for profanity.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Here's hoping this is another Austin Powers 4 rumour.
  • I'd like Austin Powers 4. 3rd one wasn't great but I loved the 1st 2. Austin Powers 4 would be better than this anyway.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Paging Bruno coming out of the water in a white bikini.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    pass.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,160
    He hasn't made anything good since Borat.
    I disagree. Watched 'The Dictator' a couple of days ago. It was a laugh riot! I welcome his Bond-spoof attempt.
  • I'll admit I haven't seen The Dictator yet but I thought Bruno was pretty crap compared to Borat.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    I don't like him. I'll watch the trailers and decide whether his Bond spoof is worth watching when the time comes.

My bet is it won't be.
    I have to say that i am not a fan of Cohen. The idea sounds possibly entertaining? Will wait and see?
    I love that helicopter scene is it is awefully scripted but never fails to put a smile on my face.

I mostly watch Sacha Baron Cohen on dvd, so soon or later I will see that 007 spoof as well.
    Ali G (underrated) , Borat and Bruno......like em all.
    We had some really good Bond parodies: DAF, TMWTGG, DAD. Tough competition, until now unbeaten.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Just another Bond spoof. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Helm, Flint, Powers, now this. Whatever. I'll check it out when I don't have to pay for it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sigh.

The Dictator was a poor film IMO, Bruno was even worse. I don't like the prospect of this.
    This isn't worth a second of my time. This'll be my first and last post regarding this.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 268
    There is only ONE Bond spoof in the world. His name: OSS 117
    rio.jpg
    Jean Dujardin is a bloody genius
    I don't know, Archer is pretty brilliant.
  • And Austin Powers is funny.
    obin_gam wrote:
    There is only ONE Bond spoof in the world. His name: OSS 117
    rio.jpg
    Jean Dujardin is a bloody genius

But OSS 117 is the codename for Hubert Bonisseur de La Bath, a fictional secret agent initially from the pen of the prolific Jean Bruce. Hubert Bonisseur de La Bath is described as being an American Colonel from Louisiana of French descent. After service in the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), de La Bath worked for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), then the National Security Council (NSC).

Bruce wrote 88 OSS 117 novels for the French publishing house Fleuve Noir Espionnage series beginning with Tu parles d'une ingénue (Ici OSS 117) in 1949, predating Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 by four years. After Jean Bruce died in a car accident in 1963, his wife Josette Bruce (signing as "J.Bruce") wrote 143 OSS 117 novels before retiring in 1985. Starting in 1987, Bruce's daughter Martine and her husband François wrote 23 more OSS 117 books. The last published novel was O.S.S. 117 prend le large in 1992

The first OSS 117 film, OSS 117 n'est pas mort (OSS 117 Is Not Dead), was made in 1957 with Ivan Desny as OSS 117.

More like a predessesor of the famous 007. But I easily admit that with the recent two OSS117 movies they did aim to catch the mood of the Connery 007 movies and did so extremely well. But calling them a spoof??
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    SCB is as funny as watching my feet fall off. If ever life gets me down, I can thaink that it could be worse, I could be forced to watch Cohen's latest "funny" character.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 40,368
    I'm just not a fan of Cohen's. I've heard his dramatic work is very good, but I hated both 'Bruno' and 'Borat,' the fallout of terrible 'Very nice.' quotes that plagued my high school hallways after the latter film was released. I've heard 'The Dictator' is very hit-or-miss, and it seems like it may produce a few chuckles, but nothing more. I will commend Cohen for crossing the line in comedy and bringing up comedy in territories that are not often touched on, but other than that, I'm just not crazy about his films.

This is the biggest laugh I've ever gotten out of his work, and it wasn't even because of him:
    Zekidk wrote:
    He hasn't made anything good since Borat.
    I disagree. Watched 'The Dictator' a couple of days ago. It was a laugh riot! I welcome his Bond-spoof attempt.

Ok fine, I just watched that clip and giggled like I did in the cinema. Does that mean I'm a bad person? :p
    Yes, you are a bad person because you can laugh about a tragedy that happened to the American people. You Sir are an anti-American. ;)

It makes me laugh too everytime I see this bit. I join you in the in the bad person gallery. O:-)