Is Dench's M the Queen of England???

edited August 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 299
A bizarre thought just occured to me folks. Prompted in part by Silva's line from the trailer, "Mommy was very bad." I began thinking futher about it, about Bond's relationship to M, his loyalty to her in the way it's been portrayed in the recent films, and in particular the Dench/Craig - mother/son dynamic. Suddenly I came to an unforseen conclusion.

Is Judi Dench's M supposed to be a symbol for Her Majesty, at least in relation to how Craig's Bond sees her? Strictly metaphorically speaking, I believe this is a prospect perhaps worth delving into. And if so, I wonder just how conscious EON is about it?

What are your thoughts? Am I completely crazy? Or am I onto something?

Comments

• oo7oo7

I think you are onto something when you say you are completely crazy
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    She's a powerful, matriarchal figure. As M, she represents authority for Bond, but also the person responsible for the defense of the Realm. She has been referenced as a mother figure to Bond on more than one occasion, certainly.

Does she represent the Queen? Well, here I'm not so sure. Certainly, she represents female authority and is the person charged with Britain's security from foreign threat, but I think the Queen is pushing it a little bit.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2012 Posts: 11,139
    A bizarre thought just occured to me folks. Prompted in part by Silva's line from the trailer, "Mommy was very bad." I began thinking futher about it, about Bond's relationship to M, his loyalty to her in the way it's been portrayed in the recent films, and in particular the Dench/Craig - mother/son dynamic. Suddenly I came to an unforseen conclusion.

Is Judi Dench's M supposed to be a symbol for Her Majesty, at least in relation to how Craig's Bond sees her? Strictly metaphorically speaking, I believe this is a prospect perhaps worth delving into. And if so, I wonder just how conscious EON is about it?

Lord have mercy! M is Bond's Boss and the head of MI6. End of story.
  • Let me state once again that I obviously don't mean this literally. I'm just curious if there's an intentional metaphor being implied.
  • oo7oo7
    prehaps if this was a medieval tales and dench played THE QUEEN and craig was a knight then she would... buuuuuuuut. she represents m, she is m. now to say m had the king(books) or queen's interests and the countries sure this is fine but its hardly a fairy tale
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    M reports to the prime minister, M like Bond is also serving Queen and Country. She just so happens to be the head of MI6, Bond's boss and of course, happens to be a woman.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2012 Posts: 15,690
    doubleoego wrote:
    M is Bond's Boss and the head of MI6. End of story.

She's also referenced as Bond's mother... several times.
    doubleoego wrote:
    She just so happens to be the head of MI6, Bond's boss and of course, happens to be a woman.

No, Dench is there to please the feminist crowd, and to put in motion Barbara Broccoli's feminist plans for the franchise.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 864
    No, Dench is there to please the feminist crowd, and to put in motion Barbara Broccoli's feminist plans for the franchise.

You know, a lot more people would warm to you if you used the phrase "I think" instead of coaching everything in absolutes.

There is nothing wrong with @wildboonjive suggesting that this may be some kind of metaphor and nothing wrong with people disagreeing. But these are all opinions. Not facts. Learning the difference would go a long way.

It is more than permissible to think that Dench's inclusion in the franchise was to reflect the times. When she was cast, Stella Tennant was head of MI5. Of course, she may purely have been cast because of the accusations levelled at the franchise at the time for having a particularly chauvinistic approach in the way it portrayed women. Perhaps they wanted to show that not all women in Bond films were bits of skirt for Bond to have his way with - hence the "sexist, misogynist, dinosaur" speech. Of course, she could just have been hired because she's one of this country's leading thespians.

I'm not saying there isn't a "feminist agenda" in the Bond films, but I am saying that it is possible that there isn't. Opening up your mind to other possibilities might just make others more inclined to thoughtfully consider your own opinions.

I say this because I don't want another thread derailed by your absolutist arguments, which make it very difficult for others to enjoy a thread or to feel like they wish to actively participate in them.

There's nothing wrong with argument on a forum (in fact, we encourage it) but as Monty Python famously said, an argument isn't just saying "no it isn't" to every statement.

We both know that you've been reminded about this behaviour already, but this is my nice way of asking you to consider your posts and the effect they may have on others.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I actually put 'IMO' in most of my posts.
    I actually put 'IMO' in most of my posts.

It was just a friendly reminder.
  • Expanding a little further on what @doubleonothing is saying, it seems Dench's portrayal of M (and the way the character's been written) has differed from how it was originally conceived in GoldenEye. I never really got the mother/son implication in her relationship with Brosnan. With Craig it seems much more evident (perhaps the larger age gap helps). As such, I feel that it is easier to metaphorically read into this during the Craig era.
    I'd go with what @oo7 was saying, that it works as a classic kind of "knight" and "queen" relationship, something like narrative archetypes, but really only as a metaphor in those terms. I really don't think in the films she represents the Queen of England, more the queen in narrative terms.

I'd admit that what @wildboonjive is saying about Dench's character development is right, but I recognise that, for a lot of people, that's not the relationship they want Bond to have with M. They want someone who is much more like Bernard Lee's M (or, more like Dench's M was originally) someone who cares about Bond, but has no compunction about sending him out to do his job and potentially getting him killed.

However, purely in terms of character dynamics, this expanded mother/son relationship probably makes for more interesting stories.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

So as not to muddy this thread with a slightly meaningless, possibly offensive debate, please send me a PM explaining these "feminist plans" you speak of.

So as not to muddy this thread with a slightly meaningless, possibly offensive debate, please send me a PM explaining these "feminist plans" you speak of.

To make it fast : 1) turning Bond into a sexual object 2) turning the Bond girls into complex characters, 3) the Women's day advert, 4) the scene in CR where Bond is in speedos and Vesper in t-shirt, 4) the famous speedo scene, with a) OTT homoerotic walk, b) OTT music, c) OTT close-up and d) OTT lighting.

In short : the feminist agenda is to turn Bond into the sexual object to please women, and to stop pleasing men by stopping the women in bikini, the innuendoes, the arse-slapping, and turning them into complex characters so women can identify to the new female power. Notice how Bond has not slapped a woman since TMWTGG, but has been slapped by women twice in the last 20 years, and he also has been kicked in the leg by a woman.
    To make it fast : 1) turning Bond into a sexual object 2) turning the Bond girls into complex characters, 3) the Women's day advert, 4) the scene in CR where Bond is in speedos and Vesper in t-shirt, 4) the famous speedo scene, with a) OTT homoerotic walk, b) OTT music, c) OTT close-up and d) OTT lighting.

Forget her agenda, yours seems to be to push this opinion into virtually every thread you visit. It was the same on the old forum and it's the same here.

You are, of course, entitled to this opinion, but just why you feel the need to bring it into so many threads that are unrelated to it, the need to reiterate it ad nauseam, and the fact that you simply refuse to see this as anything other than fact, I simply cannot understand.

So, please, stop derailing threads with this diatribe against Broccoli and her so-called "feminist agenda." If you want to discuss it, I have no objection to you creating a thread and keeping it in there.
  • To make it fast : 1) turning Bond into a sexual object 2) turning the Bond girls into complex characters, 3) the Women's day advert, 4) the scene in CR where Bond is in speedos and Vesper in t-shirt, 4) the famous speedo scene, with a) OTT homoerotic walk, b) OTT music, c) OTT close-up and d) OTT lighting.

Forget her agenda, yours seems to be to push this opinion into virtually every thread you visit. It was the same on the old forum and it's the same here.

You are, of course, entitled to this opinion, but just why you feel the need to bring it into so many threads that are unrelated to it, the need to reiterate it ad nauseam, and the fact that you simply refuse to see this as anything other than fact, I simply cannot understand.

So, please, stop derailing threads with this diatribe against Broccoli and her so-called "feminist agenda." If you want to discuss it, I have no objection to you creating a thread and keeping it in there.

Thank you! This is so old already and has been discussed ad nauseum.

yours seems to be to push this opinion into virtually every thread you visit.

I haven't spoken about that particular topic for months. So no i do not up push this opinion into every thread I visit, since there are dozens of threads where I posted these last several months where I've not posted that opinion.

You are several months late to critisize that of me, since I haven't spoken about 'Babs feminist agenda' for months.
  • Nah, I don't think so. Cool idea though.
    @DaltonCraig007 But right after I give you a friendly reminder not to derail this thread with your unrelated and absolutist opinions, you decide to post them anyway? And rather than take that reminder on board, you decide to get argumentative with me?

@doubleonothing you posted this

I don't recall posting about the 'feminist agenda' for months, so how am I constantly derailing threads with that topic if I only posted about it once in the last several months ? You can look up in all the threads I've posted in recently, and I've not made one post about the feminst agenda other than the one in this thread.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    @DaltonCraig007

Y'know, this discussion is exactly why I asked you to send it in a PM...
    @DaltonCraig007 All I've done is to ask you to just be a little bit more aware of your posts. Be aware that some tend to derail topics. Others are so argumentative that they border on bullying.

Perhaps I've come on a bit strong, but I'm trying to remind you in a friendly manner that derailing threads is not encouraged and can lead to a warning and that if any member receives 3 warnings they may be subject to suspension or a ban.

Anyway, let's not diverge from the topic anymore than we have.
  • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/3024355/James-Bond-girls-are-feminist-icons-says-Cubby-Broccolis-daughter.html

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/tough-new-bond-girl-divides-fans-reignites-feminism-debate/385645/0

There's no doubt that Bond girls have changed over the years...however their rise to so called equals status have imo detracted from our main man - partial demise of PB I believe.

But if you look at PG she was there as a sex object but was also a strong character without overshadowing or mirroring Bond. TD's ladies had the right balance.

Now back on subject.

M is there purely to balance the macho manly stuff of Bond....ah....erm...no she is not the Queen.
    I can see a rather regal demeanour about Dench. After all, she has played the Queen of England before. Bond certainly fights "for Queen and Country" and also does so on M's orders. However, I still feel that it is a fairly tenuous connection.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm pretty sure I've had this confirmed before, but when Camille and Bond are talking in the airplane in QoS, and she asks him about his mother being the one that was almost killed, he smirks and says "She likes to think so."

Is that because some people thought he called M "Mom" in the scene between Bond and her at her place towards the beginning of CR? I thought that's what I read a while back, but then I also took it in terms of her always watching out for him and trying to track him.
    The "mom" thing is simply people mishearing "m'am" which is short for "madame" and the equivalent of saying "sir" to a female superior.

"She likes to think so" is just Bond joking about the way in which M seems to mother him, calling him in and telling him what to do, whilst also caring for him and trusting him.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yeah, I knew all of that, I just didn't know if it was a nod at some of the audiences mistake of differentiating between Craig saying "Ma'am" or "Mom," or if it was implying the latter choice.
    Humm, I assume that it's not really that deeply thought about.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I didn't read the whole thread, but i've saw some "Bond's mom", which is Bond's relationship with M and all those things. so i'll say this obvious text:

M was considered as Bond's mother, because mostly of the times she takes care of him and tells him what is right or what is wrong. Also because Bond sometimes don't follow up her orders =)) but that's other thing.
    She's not Bond's mom literally. But she trusts him like a son, and she has some mother-love or afect for him.
  • I agree that Judi Dench's M is a representation of a mother to Bond, and not of the Queen.

I read somewhere that Fleming wanted Bond to have a parent-son relationship with his Boss because other than Adm. Godfrey he also used his mother as an inspiration to the character of M, because she's the only person he (Fleming) feared and respected. So yes, M is not a metaphor for the Queen.