Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig?

Comments

I think Connery MIGHT just edge it. Though it would be a hell of a fight.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    True. Lazenby is all mouth and arrogance. Connery is a generally grumpy hard man. Lazenby is also lighter than Connery build wise.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If he hit Lazenby, his hand would shatter. Connery might think he's something special, but Lazenby had genuine fighting skills. He'd not only beat Connery in a fight, but make him his cleaning lady as well.
    No chance.....Connery would knock that cocky Aussie out cold.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Both men came from somewhat working class backgrounds. They were streetwise and had probably encountered their fair share of brawls. In their prime I think they are quite evenly matched.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I remember reading a story where Connery took on three men at once all by himself while Michael Caine held his jacket and watched.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Connery would beat the tar out of Lazenby. It is well documented Connery would gladly take on a bunch of guys by himself and they weren't just local idiots but some serious goons. Connery was an animal.
    I remember reading a story where Connery took on three men at once all by himself while Michael Caine held his jacket and watched.

Laz would say he took on four...and then shagged all their girlfriends afterwards ;)
    edited October 2015 Posts: 15,423
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Laz would say he took on four...and then shagged all their girlfriends afterwards ;)
    He "would say"... There's your answer. ;)

Connery took on a very dangerous mobster, Johnny Stompanato, all by himself while on the set of Another Time, Another Place, taking action while being in the middle of a crossfire and whipping the gun off the gangster's hand before twisting his arm so painfully Stompanato ran away afterwards like a wimpy boy. I guess that's enough of an answer.
    Yep. Well said Clark.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Hmmm.....I wonder why it says Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig...somewhere at the top

:P
    Hmmm.....I wonder why it says Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig...somewhere at the top

Same reason the Pierce Brosnan Appreciation Thread ran off the rails the other day. ;)

:))
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Getafix wrote: »
    If Connery didn't have a hard edge, then who did? He is the edgiest of all

I wouldn't say that he was the edgiest, but Connery did have a lethal edge in Dr No & From Russia With Love. Starting with Goldfinger, he became soft (for want of a btter word) over the course of the rest of his era, eventually becoming wheezy and flabby in DAF.

Ok i just wanted to say that my Comment about Sean Connery as him not being that edgy i meant it as a compliment.
    Sure he had his touch of Danger and edginess but he was mainly a ladies man Bond.
    Charming, cool, sexy, Sophisticated and a good sense of humor many of you would think im describing Roger Moore but no like i said Connery had edge but its not what Made him satnd out as Bond

Look if you must discuss Connery vs Lazenby let me lay it out for you...

Lazenby merely frowning at Connery would make Connery run for his life screaming <:-P
    this is by far the most mature conversation in the forum
    I guess I've had what I had to say up there, Jason, old chum. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I can't believe we're discussing Connery vs. Lazenby. Is this is a joke?

Connery all the way.....in a fight, in a film, in anything. Lazzers lucked out with a great script, score, director, cinematography & most of all Diana Rigg. Lightning only strikes once, and it did for him in that film....

This must be a joke...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And now Batman vs Superman. What do you think?

Wonder Woman will kock them both into oblivion:)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Was 'kock' a Freudian slip? ;-)
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    NicNac wrote: »

Was 'kock' a Freudian slip? ;-)

Oh good Lord!! 8-X
    and I even can't blame it on auto-correct :))

I meant knock of course but admit wanting to see the other thing as well :))

To be fair the text mentions the 2x harder Bonds. But Connery was the 'hardest' technically.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Probably Dalton, just because he had some of the gadgets and humour even when he played it dark. Craig is still excellent, though.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Craig is by far the better actor. Easy call
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    It's interesting, I was in an HMV yesterday looking for Penny Dreadful 2 on blu ray.

I asked the store clerk to find it for me. I had momentarily forgotten what I was looking for so said I am looking for the tv show with Eva Green and Timothy Dalton.

When I said Eva Green he immediately got it and then asked "Timothy Dalton is in that too?".

I said yes. As we walked to the shelf where it was, he said "Dalton's the actor who was too good for Bond....He's a Shakespearean actor....Bond doesn't need such quality."

When I mentioned that Craig is doing now what Dalton tried to do in the 80's he did not seem impressed. He wasn't that old, but it was good to see a Dalton fan at HMV after all these years.

He also said that Brosnan is his favourite.....that sort of changed my opinion of him a little, but I still give him some respect.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Craig for many reasons and if he hasn't cemented himself as the number 2 Bond already (nobody comes before Sean) he'll very likely do so with SP.
    Very recently in a poll from the Telegraph, DC came in second, as he does most of the time in those polls. So IMO he already IS a cemented 2nd.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Well, Craig is the current Bond, so that will go some way to his high ranking. I remember Brosnan constantly hailed as the best since Connery in the late 1990's (so keep that in mind).
    When the 7th actor has made his 3rd or 4th film, and he is the focus of attention, only then we will see what the public thinks of Craig. Will he retain the 2nd best slot he seems to get now, or will he slip down? We'll see...
    Well, Craig is the current Bond, so that will go some way to his high ranking. I remember Brosnan constantly hailed as the best since Connery in the late 1990's (so keep that in mind).
    When the 7th actor has made his 3rd or 4th film, and he is the focus of attention, only then we will see what the public thinks of Craig. Will he retain the 2nd best slot he seems to get now, or will he slip down? We'll see...

Very true @MajorDSmythe.

I remember those comparisons of Brosnan to Connery......ludicrous when you think about it now in retrospect.

You're absolutely correct that only when the next actor has made a few can we truly know where DC will rank in the pantheon. I personally think at that time his run will be seen as polarizing. Some will love it, and some will hate it. Having said that, he will always be highly regarded for CR & for bringing the series back to a grounded footing after it jumped the shark with Brosnan's last few.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    We need to come up with a new "Jump the Shark" Term for Bond. Surfed the Glacier perhaps? :P