Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig?

Comments

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, I've been a Bond fan since the first, CR was made firstly back in the '50, granted I didn't see that one, but I've seen all the others, more than once, I like Dalton, frankly, I've liked all of them for various reasons and the era that each actor has been portraying the part, however, I like Craig, as of this day, better than the rest. Yes, some of the scenes were "just a bit" over the edge, but it's called entertainment and I think over the past three films that Craig has become Bond, he has experienced and relayed all emotions, "the recoup" scenes of being wounded and returning immediately, we all know is "out there" but that doesn't stop a fan like myself from liking the storyline, the acting, the directing, the producing, etc., various countries where it is filmed and especially Craig, still think he's no. 1. IMO.
    Have a great one, we all have one string in common, we're big fans, of whichever actor we choose as our favorite.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Tuulia wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    I think Craig is good but the character has become almost the least human of them all. He is totally indestructable. You could nuke him and he'd still keep on coming.

Really? I find him the most vulnerable out of all the Bonds. In CR he looks nervous and hesitates before jumping off the crane, needs to down a bourbon after the stairwell fight, he almost dies during the poisoning scene, passes out after the car crash, and passes out agan after the torture scene, looks very frightened before the torture scene, screams out in pain during the torture scene, recovers in hospital after the torture scene, gets heartbroken after seeing Vesper die.

And all that in just one film. Moore and Brozza combined didn't have that much in all of their movies.

QoS was were it all went wrong, because suddenly he became the superhuman Bond again, who didn't feel pain mostly during the action scenes, but even then we still see a few vulnerable moments - Mathis death, reflecting on Vesper during the drunken scene on the plane, his confrontation with Vesper's boyfriend at the end.

In SF, he suffers depression after another near death, then finds his body is no longer what it was when attempting to pass his physical, looks on helplessly when Silva starts to make him feel uncomfortable, the we see a flicker of supressed emotion when M and Bond share a quiet moment talking about his parents in Scotland before going to SF Lodge, then breaking down in near-tears after M's death.

Nothing indestructable about Craig's Bond whatsoever.

I so agree. I'd add, for instance, the reaction to "Skyfall" in the word association test. He looked like someone stuck a knife into a wound. The first time I saw the movie I didn't know what the word was about at all, but seeing his reaction I immediately felt "ouch, that hurt."

In QoS I actually think he's very vulnerable, deeply wounded emotionally after Vesper. He just looks to be in pain, even if not so much physically. He probably doesn't feel physical pain much from the pain inside. That scene in the car at the end with Camille is sort of heartbreaking to me.

Craig's Bond looks believable physically. But he's not indestructible physically, either. It's not like he gets nearly tortured to death and is then up and running about soon after, he actually spends a long time recovering. And in Skyfall he struggles physically a lot, both with overall fitness after abusing his own body, and with consequences of having been shot. He doesn't just shrug it off. And so on. He's very human in his emotional and physical vulnerability, he does seem to get hurt quite badly on both areas. It surprises me that anyone would claim otherwise.

Wholly agreed. One of the most sensible and well thought out posts in this thread.
    Good 'ol Tim will always be my favorite. He did Craig before Craig did Craig, and he did Craig better than Craig will ever do Craig.

Quoted for Truth.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 3,279
    chrisisall wrote:
    @ Molly & Tuulia, one of my favourite characters is Max Guevarra, from Dark Angel, but she is genetically enhanced, and SUPPOSED to be able to do what humans cannot. It's cool that you guys love Craig's Bond, but in many instances in his movies, he is fairly impervious to death, and many of us normal guys tend to die after 30 foot falls through scaffolding, or getting shot & submerged, and we wouldn't bounce back so nicely from having our nards beaten to a pulp.
    No one likes a fantasy element in their Bond movies more than I, but when the thin reality restraints are removed, I'd rather be watching Superman II.
    :-<

So let me get this straight. You find the rest of the Bond films (which includes Brozza's and Moore's comedy fests) more plausible and realistic than Craig's 3 films??

:))
    Tuulia wrote:
    I so agree. I'd add, for instance, the reaction to "Skyfall" in the word association test. He looked like someone stuck a knife into a wound. The first time I saw the movie I didn't know what the word was about at all, but seeing his reaction I immediately felt "ouch, that hurt."

In QoS I actually think he's very vulnerable, deeply wounded emotionally after Vesper. He just looks to be in pain, even if not so much physically. He probably doesn't feel physical pain much from the pain inside. That scene in the car at the end with Camille is sort of heartbreaking to me.

Craig's Bond looks believable physically. But he's not indestructible physically, either. It's not like he gets nearly tortured to death and is then up and running about soon after, he actually spends a long time recovering. And in Skyfall he struggles physically a lot, both with overall fitness after abusing his own body, and with consequences of having been shot. He doesn't just shrug it off. And so on. He's very human in his emotional and physical vulnerability, he does seem to get hurt quite badly on both areas. It surprises me that anyone would claim otherwise.

Finally some sanity and intelligence on this thread.

After enduring years of ridiculous OTT impausible storylines, ridiculous gadgets, Bond driving invisible cars, flying and fighting in the air without parachutes, dodging lasers, ice surfing, duplicate Blofeld's, remote controlled BMW's, double-taking pigeons, Tarzan yells, faking heartbeats and beating every guy up in a hospital bed after months of torture, Bond in space, underwater tie-straightening, landing on boats in the middle of the ocean with a beautiful woman on board after crashing off the edge of the rock in Gibraltar......

and suddenly Bond getting his gonads whacked, screaming out in pain and recovering in hospital is highly implausible and pure Superman II fantasy.

Utterly outstanding!! @-)
  • After enduring years of ridiculous OTT impausible storylines

They weren't all ridiculous.

ridiculous gadgets

Again, not all of them were ridiculous.
    flying and fighting in the air without parachutes

That was done for real. Not impossible.
    faking heartbeats and beating every guy up in a hospital bed after months of torture

I agree it was OTT but he punched a doctor or two. It's not like he fought of highly trained assassins or anything. Anyway I never had a problem with that bit, not sure why so many hate it
    remote controlled BMW's

No more unrealistic than some of the other Bond cars.
    landing on boats in the middle of the ocean with a beautiful woman on board after crashing off the edge of the rock in Gibraltar

Cmon, that's a classic moment.
    Good 'ol Tim will always be my favorite. He did Craig before Craig did Craig, and he did Craig better than Craig will ever do Craig.

This. Fair enough they were slightly different but Dalton owns the whole darker Bond thing.

I think Craig was at his best in SF, where he was more light hearted and more of an all rounder. Leave the dark Bond to Dalts.
    They weren't all ridiculous.

This post was really aimed at chrisisall, who made the bizarre statement that none of Craig's films were anything remotely realistic, and bordered on Superman II fantasy, so I pointed out there are just as many outrageous elements in all the other Bond films too, so why is heightened realism an issue now, if it never was before?

Also, I find Craig's 3 films to be grounded in a sense of gritty realism not found in the majority of Bond flicks. Only a few can claim this - Connery's first 2 films, OHMSS, FYEO, TLD, LTK, CR and SF (QoS almost does, if it wasn't for that damn freefall scene).

I find chrisisall's statement utterly bizarre, with no logical sense to it.
    I find it strange that some people seem to ignore the fact that one of the staples in any Bond film is a degree of fantasy and OTT action but because Craig's doing it, mixed with an overall more serious and less cartoony tone, it's a problem??
    Some of you need to understand that these movies don't have to be one thing or another, there is clearly room for a dynamic that combines multiple elements. Get it into your heads, Bond movies will always have OTT action and will always have a degree of fantastical elements, irrespective of how "realistic" or "grounded in reality" they're supposed to be. To think otherwise is silly. That being said, with the physical shape Craig is in and how he looks doing the action, as far as I'm concerned he brings credibility and even a certain degree of believability that all the other 5 actors that came before him could actually do all the remarkable things he and they have done, as they're playing the same man. Bond is and has always been portrayed as some sort of expert when it comes to navigating any type of vehicle or executing some daring stunt. With Craig I can believe Bond can do these things not because the story tells me to believe it but because looking at Craig I can believe he can.

As for Dalton, he's a great Bond and as disappointing as it is he only did 2 movies, I'm somewhat glad he didn't do more after LTK because with the corroding quality of scripts and overall direction the movies were heading in, I fear we all may have wished that Dalton stopped and got out after LTK. If anything I wish Dalton had either taken over the role from FYEO or OP.
    What I also love about Dalton is, it's with great conviction that he approached the role the way he did, knowing the risks and it was great to hear him as recent as 2002 for the DAD premiere show with parkinson, talking about how he had planted the seeds for a more darker take, which is more in line with Fleming's tone of the novels. I couldn't help bit feel embarrassed for Brosnan because he had done nothing with what Dalton had set up and when it was time for him to talk, he just lacked any real knowledge of the character where as Dalton when he was speaking knew what the hell he was talking about. This brings me to both Dalton and Craig. Both are very similar but still play the character differently. Both took incredible risks in that with Dalton he made a complete tonal shift from the Moore era abd with Craig, he himself just by his appearance alone was a risk and again, like Dalton it was a case of making a complete tonal shift from the cartoony Brosnan era. Both are great actors but having to choose one, I'd easily declare Craig as the better actor in general abd subsequently the better Bond.
    One if the issues I have with Dalton is, he could appear to be overly theatrical in his delivery of acting. As an actor one of the key skills you need to have is to be able to adjust and adapt and there were a few times where he couldn't quite find that right level of where he needed to be, which adversely affected his performance, making some of his scenes somewhat clumsy. Dalton is also an actor that has presense but for some reason, even with the theatrical acting he sometimes employed, he rarely ever lot up the screen with any real commanding presense for me. There was never that constant there that i could see but when it was there, he was great.
    As for Craig, for me, he's the total package and I could go on all day about how such a superb actor and great Bond he is but I'll do that another time. For me in a nut shell, Craig joins the ranks of Connery and Moore as being iconic and offering definitive portrayals of the character and once again making the Bond movies an A-list franchise once again. He is by far the best actor cast as Bond and conveys his performances with an undeniable brutal conviction. In my eyes, we're incredibly lucky to have this man as Bond.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    I like Dalton, mainly because he brought the intesnity to 007, Craig just improved on that but I'm hoping that by Bond 24, he'll be my favourite (although it'll be hard to top my number 1 007, Dalton)
    doubleoego wrote:
    I find it strange that some people seem to ignore the fact that one of the staples in any Bond film is a degree of fantasy and OTT action but because Craig's doing it, mixed with an overall more serious and less cartoony tone, it's a problem??
    Some of you need to understand that these movies don't have to be one thing or another, there is clearly room for a dynamic that combines multiple elements. Get it into your heads, Bond movies will always have OTT action and will always have a degree of fantastical elements, irrespective of how "realistic" or "grounded in reality" they're supposed to be. To think otherwise is silly. That being said, with the physical shape Craig is in and how he looks doing the action, as far as I'm concerned he brings credibility and even a certain degree of believability that all the other 5 actors that came before him could actually do all the remarkable things he and they have done, as they're playing the same man. Bond is and has always been portrayed as some sort of expert when it comes to navigating any type of vehicle or executing some daring stunt. With Craig I can believe Bond can do these things not because the story tells me to believe it but because looking at Craig I can believe he can.

Well said. More sanity at last!!

There was never anything more stretching the realms of possibility than seeing an ageing Moore in his last few films performing miraculous stunts. It started to border on Austin Powers territory, with a close-up face of Grandad Moore, then quickly cutting to a body double with a brown wig doing some hair-raising stunt.

With Craig, you actually can believe he is the man doing the stunt, and not a stunt man double standing in. Because of his hard edged performance too, he lends an air of credibility to the whole thing. You believe this man really is a killer, and not an actor reading his lines with a knowing smile and wink to the camera.
    I think the problem some people have with Craig is a) he seems physically the most indestructible of all the actors to play Bond b) the balance between fantasy and reality is not convincing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    I think the problem some people have with Craig is a) he seems physically the most indestructible of all the actors to play Bond b) the balance between fantasy and reality is not convincing.
    I never get a sense of indestructibility from Dan's Bond. He gets the hell knocked out of him, and it shows. He takes major hits and its damage shows. If anything Moore's era is where superhumanity comes into question for this franchise. Parody can't begin to describe it.
    Getafix wrote:

The most indestructible? He's shed more blood than any other Bond and has the cuts, bruises abd physical trauma to show for it.
    As for the balance of fantasy and reality, I personally feel they've done a great job thus far and as long as the Craig era can make film's in the mould if CR abd SF, we're locked in for winning Bond movies.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,243
    doubleoego wrote:

As for Dalton, he's a great Bond and as disappointing as it is he only did 2 movies, I'm somewhat glad he didn't do more after LTK because with the corroding quality of scripts and overall direction the movies were heading in, I fear we all may have wished that Dalton stopped and got out after LTK. If anything I wish Dalton had either taken over the role from FYEO or OP.
    What I also love about Dalton is, it's with great conviction that he approached the role the way he did, knowing the risks and it was great to hear him as recent as 2002 for the DAD premiere show with parkinson, talking about how he had planted the seeds for a more darker take, which is more in line with Fleming's tone of the novels. I couldn't help bit feel embarrassed for Brosnan because he had done nothing with what Dalton had set up and when it was time for him to talk, he just lacked any real knowledge of the character where as Dalton when he was speaking knew what the hell he was talking about. This brings me to both Dalton and Craig. Both are very similar but still play the character differently. Both took incredible risks in that with Dalton he made a complete tonal shift from the Moore era abd with Craig, he himself just by his appearance alone was a risk and again, like Dalton it was a case of making a complete tonal shift from the cartoony Brosnan era. Both are great actors but having to choose one, I'd easily declare Craig as the better actor in general abd subsequently the better Bond.
    One if the issues I have with Dalton is, he could appear to be overly theatrical in his delivery of acting. As an actor one of the key skills you need to have is to be able to adjust and adapt and there were a few times where he couldn't quite find that right level of where he needed to be, which adversely affected his performance, making some of his scenes somewhat clumsy. Dalton is also an actor that has presense but for some reason, even with the theatrical acting he sometimes employed, he rarely ever lot up the screen with any real commanding presense for me. There was never that constant there that i could see but when it was there, he was great.
    As for Craig, for me, he's the total package and I could go on all day about how such a superb actor and great Bond he is but I'll do that another time. For me in a nut shell, Craig joins the ranks of Connery and Moore as being iconic and offering definitive portrayals of the character and once again making the Bond movies an A-list franchise once again. He is by far the best actor cast as Bond and conveys his performances with an undeniable brutal conviction. In my eyes, we're incredibly lucky to have this man as Bond.

Very well written! That clearly took effort and I like that. I don't necessarily agree with everything but overall I do. I will say my worst scene for Dalton is where he meets Leiter in TLD. I think Glen thought it was good enough but I would have re-shot it again.

I do remember Glen in his book mentioning him not showing Tim all the dailies after a while as Dalton would find a fault in a lot of shots and demand a reshoot. Tim would even question the kissing scenes by asking women on the set.

Like you say, Dalton was a great Bond but took over at a time when the franchise was penny pinching thanks to studio pressure. I could not imagine Craig being happy to be in such a scenario where you have no real idea where things stand and can sense the opposition to what you are doing.

I can say with full confidence that watching SF and Mendes work, I feel Dalton needed an A-list director to bring his full qualities out. But I still love his performances all the more knowing the history.

Personally, I thought Dalton had in some scenes an overpowering in a good way presence. He just underplayed the Bondisms many were too familiar with. But he is an actor that was capable of doing the spoofier type Bond but him and Cubby wanted to go more serious and for that to work, the familiar elements were cut down.

As the saying goes "You don't know until you try." Dalton took incredible risk being the first to jump in the deep end of uncertainty. That takes guts.

I also think Brosnan's biggest mistake was running a mile from what Dalton had started. I never believed the depth in his films as a parodying moment was not far away. I really felt Brosnan could have played so well a straighter Bond like Craig does now.

Brosnan in The Fourth Protocol shows he has the qualities to play the depth to a tee. And he would have been accepted in the role even if he was more serious. But I suspect EON wanting to make sure his films did big in the USA were tailoring his scripts more to his Remington Steele persona because that is why he was popular in the running for the role in the 1980's.

The Fourth Protocol was not a hit but a damn fine film about secret agencies. Brosnan was great in that! And Brosnan to me has a greater image than Craig as far as Bond look goes. I never met one woman who did not find him incredibly handsome. And he had the right height which was a Cubby inistence as his book vividly states.

I am sure Brosnan looks back now and sees where he needed to make alterations. But that can be said of any actor who has been in the part. Dalton included.

doubleoego wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

The most indestructible? He's shed more blood than any other Bond and has the cuts, bruises abd physical trauma to show for it.
    As for the balance of fantasy and reality, I personally feel they've done a great job thus far and as long as the Craig era can make film's in the mould if CR abd SF, we're locked in for winning Bond movies.

Exactly! I get confused reading Getafix's comments regarding Craig, because clearly he hates the Brozza films like I do, he loves the dark gritty ones like LTK (like I do), yet shows a stubborn reluctance to accept the new Craig films, even though they are in the exact style that he loves.

No Bond has shed more blood, tears and bruises than Craig's Bond. The only Bond that comes close is Dalton in LTK.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,425
    doubleoego wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Exactly! I get confused reading Getafix's comments regarding Craig, because clearly he hates the Brozza films like I do, he loves the dark gritty ones like LTK (like I do), yet shows a stubborn reluctance to accept the new Craig films, even though they are in the exact style that he loves.

No Bond has shed more blood, tears and bruises than Craig's Bond. The only Bond that comes close is Dalton in LTK.

I don't have an issue with CR or QoS. They're not my favourite films but I'm fine with them. It's just SF that I was really disappointed with. I think @Baltimore007 makes the point either in this thread or somewhere else that the death of Bond at the start of SF just takes things that little bit too far. Bond becomes invincible and the director didn't feel any need to explain how he survives - it's just a given that Bond survives shot, falling from a great height and drowning. The plausibility is stretched beyond breaking limit and that's not a good thing. I'm not the only one to make that point.

Someone mentioned how silly Dalton landing on the boat at the start of TLD is. I actually see those kinds of scenes as vital to getting the mix right in Bond. The PTS in TLD is action packed and sets-up Dalton as the new Bond perfectly. But it ends with a little knowing wink (the boat scene) which tells the audience to lighten up a little and not treat it too seriously. The SF PTS ends with Bond's death and there is little or no humour in the film until later on, when the film slowly morphs into something more like an old-fashioned OTT Bond movie. I just found that change jarring and unconvincing, especially as CR and QoS felt so different and like they'd taken Bond in a new direction. It's just a tonal and directoral thing I think. To me John Glen, for all his double taking pigeons, had a real grasp on how you balance the action, drama and humour of a Bond film. I don't personally feel that any director has successfully done that since LTK.

Also, I'm not actually a massive fan of LTK. I like Dalton as Bond but I agree with the man himself in that he felt that the tone in his second film was not quite right. There are some great things about it but I am not one of those that see it as one of the best in the series.When I watch it though it does still feel like a proper Bond movie.
    Getafix wrote:
    The SF PTS ends with Bond's death and there is little or no humour in the film until later on, when the film slowly morphs into something more like an old-fashioned OTT Bond movie. I just found that change jarring and unconvincing, especially as CR and QoS felt so different and like they'd taken Bond in a new direction.

The second half of the movie was nothing remotely like an old-fashioned OTT Bond movie. The final act has no huge villains lair blowing up, with colour co-ordinated men in boiler suits battling it out and Bond fighting with a henchman over a pond of killer fish.

It was the most downplayed final act since FYEO, but far, far superior, so again I don't understand where you are coming from.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote:
    The SF PTS ends with Bond's death and there is little or no humour in the film until later on, when the film slowly morphs into something more like an old-fashioned OTT Bond movie. I just found that change jarring and unconvincing, especially as CR and QoS felt so different and like they'd taken Bond in a new direction.

The second half of the movie was nothing remotely like an old-fashioned OTT Bond movie. The final act has no huge villains lair blowing up, with colour co-ordinated men in boiler suits battling it out and Bond fighting with a henchman over a pond of killer fish.
    It was the most downplayed final act since FYEO, but far, far superior, so again I don't understand where you are coming from.

I don't think that's entirely true. They might not be in boiler suits but there are plenty of goons for Bond to take on and the lake scene is the modern version of the henchman fight (less enjoyable though because we have never seen the guy before, unlike say an Oddjob, with whom Bond has history). It's an inversion of the traditional set-up, in that the villain comes to Bond's gaffe, but from the moment they leave London the film is intentionally a throw back to the old school movies. All the hi tech stuff is out the window and we are for all intents and purposes back in the 60s. There is an undeniably theatrical and OTT aspect to Silva's assault on Skyfall, with waves of goons, helicopter assault, booming speakers etc. Plus everything gets blown up and goes down in flames. It's consciously emulating a lot the older films.

The death of M might put a downer on it for some people (I was just glad to see the back of her), but even then it doesn't come close to the end of OHMSS for emotional impact.

I don't think you can really say the final act is down played either. It's highly theatrical. I don't mind that at all actually. I just didn't find the story very interesting and because I didn't care about M and Bond never really seemed in much danger (he just casually walks around Skyfall while the place is strafed with heavy machine gun fire and grenades) I was bored by the end of it.

I actually found the concept behind the final scenes was quite good but didn't think it was very well directed. Just lacked danger and real drama for me.
  • Dalton is a better actor. Stretching the concept a bit, Craig's Bond is the continuation of the Bond established by Dalton.
  • lechero wrote:
    I love both really. But Craig embodies a certain coolness on screen that I feel is very similar to Connery or Steve McQueen.
    Interesting you said that. I always felt, if there is ever a film about the life of Steve McQueen, Daniel Craig should play the main title role.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,189
    acoppola wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    I find it strange that some people seem to ignore the fact that one of the staples in any Bond film is a degree of fantasy and OTT action but because Craig's doing it, mixed with an overall more serious and less cartoony tone, it's a problem??Some of you need to understand that these movies don't have to be one thing or another, there is clearly room for a dynamic that combines multiple elements. Get it into your heads, Bond movies will always have OTT action and will always have a degree of fantastical elements, irrespective of how "realistic" or "grounded in reality" they're supposed to be. To think otherwise is silly. That being said, with the physical shape Craig is in and how he looks doing the action, as far as I'm concerned he brings credibility and even a certain degree of believability that all the other 5 actors that came before him could actually do all the remarkable things he and they have done, as they're playing the same man. Bond is and has always been portrayed as some sort of expert when it comes to navigating any type of vehicle or executing some daring stunt. With Craig I can believe Bond can do these things not because the story tells me to believe it but because looking at Craig I can believe he can.As for Dalton, he's a great Bond and as disappointing as it is he only did 2 movies, I'm somewhat glad he didn't do more after LTK because with the corroding quality of scripts and overall direction the movies were heading in, I fear we all may have wished that Dalton stopped and got out after LTK. If anything I wish Dalton had either taken over the role from FYEO or OP.What I also love about Dalton is, it's with great conviction that he approached the role the way he did, knowing the risks and it was great to hear him as recent as 2002 for the DAD premiere show with parkinson, talking about how he had planted the seeds for a more darker take, which is more in line with Fleming's tone of the novels. I couldn't help bit feel embarrassed for Brosnan because he had done nothing with what Dalton had set up and when it was time for him to talk, he just lacked any real knowledge of the character where as Dalton when he was speaking knew what the hell he was talking about. This brings me to both Dalton and Craig. Both are very similar but still play the character differently. Both took incredible risks in that with Dalton he made a complete tonal shift from the Moore era abd with Craig, he himself just by his appearance alone was a risk and again, like Dalton it was a case of making a complete tonal shift from the cartoony Brosnan era. Both are great actors but having to choose one, I'd easily declare Craig as the better actor in general abd subsequently the better Bond.One if the issues I have with Dalton is, he could appear to be overly theatrical in his delivery of acting. As an actor one of the key skills you need to have is to be able to adjust and adapt and there were a few times where he couldn't quite find that right level of where he needed to be, which adversely affected his performance, making some of his scenes somewhat clumsy. Dalton is also an actor that has presense but for some reason, even with the theatrical acting he sometimes employed, he rarely ever lot up the screen with any real commanding presense for me. There was never that constant there that i could see but when it was there, he was great.As for Craig, for me, he's the total package and I could go on all day about how such a superb actor and great Bond he is but I'll do that another time. For me in a nut shell, Craig joins the ranks of Connery and Moore as being iconic and offering definitive portrayals of the character and once again making the Bond movies an A-list franchise once again. He is by far the best actor cast as Bond and conveys his performances with an undeniable brutal conviction. In my eyes, we're incredibly lucky to have this man as Bond.
    Very well written! That clearly took effort and I like that. I don't necessarily agree with everything but overall I do. I will say my worst scene for Dalton is where he meets Leiter in TLD. I think Glen thought it was good enough but I would have re-shot it again.I do remember Glen in his book mentioning him not showing Tim all the dailies after a while as Dalton would find a fault in a lot of shots and demand a reshoot. Tim would even question the kissing scenes by asking women on the set.Like you say, Dalton was a great Bond but took over at a time when the franchise was penny pinching thanks to studio pressure. I could not imagine Craig being happy to be in such a scenario where you have no real idea where things stand and can sense the opposition to what you are doing.I can say with full confidence that watching SF and Mendes work, I feel Dalton needed an A-list director to bring his full qualities out. But I still love his performances all the more knowing the history.Personally, I thought Dalton had in some scenes an overpowering in a good way presence. He just underplayed the Bondisms many were too familiar with. But he is an actor that was capable of doing the spoofier type Bond but him and Cubby wanted to go more serious and for that to work, the familiar elements were cut down.As the saying goes "You don't know until you try." Dalton took incredible risk being the first to jump in the deep end of uncertainty. That takes guts.I also think Brosnan's biggest mistake was running a mile from what Dalton had started. I never believed the depth in his films as a parodying moment was not far away. I really felt Brosnan could have played so well a straighter Bond like Craig does now.Brosnan in The Fourth Protocol shows he has the qualities to play the depth to a tee. And he would have been accepted in the role even if he was more serious. But I suspect EON wanting to make sure his films did big in the USA were tailoring his scripts more to his Remington Steele persona because that is why he was popular in the running for the role in the 1980's.The Fourth Protocol was not a hit but a damn fine film about secret agencies. Brosnan was great in that! And Brosnan to me has a greater image than Craig as far as Bond look goes. I never met one woman who did not find him incredibly handsome. And he had the right height which was a Cubby inistence as his book vividly states.I am sure Brosnan looks back now and sees where he needed to make alterations. But that can be said of any actor who has been in the part. Dalton included.
    On the "Bond Girls Are Forever" documentary I remember an interview between Mariam and Carey where Carey was recalling a story where Dalton was explaining to her how she should kiss him and the two laughed about it. Sadly a "big director to his name" is something Dalton has never really had - unlike Craig. A few days ago I read that Dalton was originally signed up for the 1985 film Pirates directed by Roman Polanski but was replaced because the two, for whatever reason, didn't get on. I could be wrong but I get the feeling that Dalton is perhaps a little too self conscious about his roles to the point where it clashes with directors and works against him. It happened with John Glenn in LTK too.
  • It was the most downplayed final act since FYEO

Can't agree with that. They spent lots of time preparing for the big battle.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,189
    It was the most downplayed final act since FYEO

I agree. I liked the climax in SF very much but the one in FYEO was much lower key. SF's showdown has a lot of great cinematography on the moore's but also a lot of explosions and gunfire. I don't know if I'd describe it as "low key". Less cheesey? Probably.

Tell me which Bond films you think have a more downbeat ending (in terms of huge explosions, lots of baddies and OTT action, effects, stunts, big battles, etc.) than the ending in SF.

BAIN123 wrote:

I agree. I liked the climax in SF very much but the one in FYEO was much lower key. SF's showdown has a lot of great cinematography on the moore's but also a lot of explosions and gunfire.

I also think the FYEO final act was more lower key, but that wasn't the point I was making. I was stating this is the most downplayed ending since FYEO.
  • It was the most downplayed final act since FYEO

Tell me which Bond films you think have a more downbeat ending (in terms of huge explosions, lots of baddies and OTT action, effects, stunts, big battles, etc.) than the ending in SF.

TWINE had a lower key finale. The evil plan was big but it wasn't really a big battle like SF.
    BAIN123 wrote:

I agree. I liked the climax in SF very much but the one in FYEO was much lower key. SF's showdown has a lot of great cinematography on the moore's but also a lot of explosions and gunfire.

I also think the FYEO final act was more lower key, but that wasn't the point I was making. I was stating this is the most downplayed ending since FYEO.

Surely CR and QoS have equally, if not slightly more low-key endings?

SF marks a return to a more traditional 'big battle' ending. I think it's hard to argue that point. I actually liked that Mendes chose to do this, but didn't think he handled the sequence very well.
    Getafix wrote:

SF marks a return to a more traditional 'big battle' ending. I think it's hard to argue that point. I actually liked that Mendes chose to do this, but didn't think he handled the sequence very well.

In CR we have a collapsing building in the centre of Venice, and in QoS a hotel in the middle of the desert going up in blazes.

I suppose looking at it from that perspective, SF is no different. It has a building going up in blazes, with Bond fighting lots of baddies.

I don't know, maybe its just me then, but I felt the ending in SF to be relatively low key for a Bond movie. Maybe its because the ending is set in Scotland, and there was no big evil grand master plan from the villain that needed stopping. He was just out to murder M.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I think QoS has a slightly lower key ending than both CR and SF.

True there is still a final explosive battle but unlike the other two QoS's very last scene doesn't scream "Bond is back!"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think QoS has a slightly lower key ending than both CR and SF.

True there is still a final explosive battle but unlike the other two QoS's very last scene doesn't scream "Bond is back!"

It was the final act I was referring to, rather than the final scene itself.