My favorite Bonds are:

1) Connery
    2) Craig
    3) Dalton
    Mine are:
    Dalton
    Brosnan
    Connery/Craig

Like it! Like it! The Dracula Bond is at the top! Hey I wonder if Dalton likes garlic and crucifixes? :)
    JamesCraig wrote:
    My favorite Bonds are:

1) Connery
    2) Craig
    3) Dalton

I actually quite like your ranking @JamesCraig. I like when Dalton's placed anywhere in the top three. Eventhough mine goes the other way around, three fine actors with their own unique flavours.

Mine:

1.Dalton
    2. Connery/Craig
    3. Moore/Brosnan
    4. Lazenby
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    chrisisall wrote:
    JamesCraig wrote:
    My favorite Bonds are:

1) Connery
    2) Craig
    3) Dalton
    Mine are:
    Dalton
    Brosnan
    Connery/Craig

Mine are similar. My favourites are:

1) Dalton
    2) Connery/Brosnan

I like the rest too, but not as much.

3) Moore/Craig
    4) Lazenby

• I was never a huge fan of Daltons Bond when they were first released being a teenager when they opened. I grew up on the Moore films. However as time moves on and the older I get I really appreciate Daltons take on the character. Today I find his 2 films some of the best in the series. However - I find Craigs interpretation far better and I have enjoyed all of Craigs films (even QOS!)..with SF being one of the best. So - I vote for Craig.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,894
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'd say Brosnan had a presence though despite his relitively slim build. You would notice him if he was standing next to you.

No, I would not, and that has nothing to do with my eyesight or awareness. I mean let's be honest, Brosnan isn't exactly Robert Mitchum in the alpha male stakes. The only people who would notice Brosnan are lonely middle aged housewives. Not that I have anything against lonely middle aged housewives, mind, but my point still stands.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    I still don't understand how I was such a fan of his era.

Age maybe?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Brosnan was great.
    There's a certain revisionism going about recently that Brosnan was lacking in many ways when in reality his main problem was that they kept force feeding him so many retorts & one liners I surprised someone didn't make foie gras out of HIS liver.
    This is nuts. There's not reason to make one actor a whipping boy of the month. It used to be RM. Who's next? Lazenby again? Will Connery eventually get a turn? :))
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    My mother watched some of CR the other day and her reaction was "I still prefer Pierce. DC looks too much like Jeremy Kyle" :))
    And not Vladimir Putin or a Russian wrestler? :-?
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    chrisisall wrote:
    Brosnan was great.
    There's a certain revisionism going about recently that Brosnan was lacking in many ways when in reality his main problem was that they kept force feeding him so many retorts & one liners I surprised someone didn't make foie gras out of HIS liver.
    This is nuts. There's not reason to make one actor a whipping boy of the month. It used to be RM. Who's next? Lazenby again? Will Connery eventually get a turn? :))

It's true! One Bond actor always becomes the whipping boy. No sooner do they vacate the role and the new guy takes over, then the knives come out.

Brosnan had the capability to be a deeper Bond but his scripts got sillier. They tried to make him into another Roger Moore after Goldeneye. And my goodness, but do you remember how bad the scene was in DAD when he and Jinx are in the helicopter towards the end? He did more eyebrow movement than Roger! It was cringe worthy what they made him do. He was sprouting one liners like they were about to go out of fashion.

I think Brozza needs to shoulder some of the blame. Sometimes he could be very effective (as well as the Kaulfman scene I like the scenes with M and his confrontation with Graves at the ice palace in DAD) Broz could overract sometimes.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    What I don't get is why, by the Brosnan era, all the gadgets and stuff were suddenly cliche? How come it was ok for Moore to run around with gadgets and one liners and OTT villian plans for more than ten years but by the 90s it's all too much of a cliche?
    acoppola wrote:
    It's true! One Bond actor always becomes the whipping boy. No sooner do they vacate the role and the new guy takes over, then the knives come out.

I've noticed this. When Brosnan was Bond Daltons popularity dropped, and now Craig is Bond everyone on this site seems to hate Pierce. First Brosnan was the best since Connery, now it's Craig, etc. I wonder if the same will happen when Craig retires?
    JamesCraig wrote:

Age maybe?

Well you either just had a change of heart, just went with the popular opinion or you just decided you preferred other films more.

I wouldn't put it down to age because I was a teenager during most of the Brosnan years and my appreciation for him has grown over time more than anything. I never used to have him as my 2nd favourite, he was 3rd for years. And I never used to have GE in my top 5 or TWINE in my top 10.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243

BAIN123 wrote:
    I think Brozza needs to shoulder some of the blame. Sometimes he could be very effective (as well as the Kaulfman scene I like the scenes with M and his confrontation with Graves at the ice palace in DAD) Broz could overract sometimes.

You have a point. With Martin Campbell, he was better directed and his Bond was better fleshed out. TND starts out fine and collapses in the second half. TWINE has okay moments but tries to be a film of set pieces rather than a coherent story arc.

I mean who directed him in the scene with the paragliders?. I mean when he jumps off the mountain onto the parachute and jumps down, he shows no sense of fear and his greatest concern looks like are his gloves on properly just before the two gliders crash.

The problem with the Brosnan era is he was made into a superman Bond. Bullets may as well have not hurt him.

acoppola wrote:
    I mean who directed him in the scene with the paragliders?. I mean when he jumps off the mountain onto the parachute and jumps down, he shows no sense of fear and his greatest concern looks like are his gloves on properly just before the two gliders crash.
    That was awful. But his good moments were more plentiful.
    What I don't get is why, by the Brosnan era, all the gadgets and stuff were suddenly cliche? How come it was ok for Moore to run around with gadgets and one liners and OTT villian plans for more than ten years but by the 90s it's all too much of a cliche?
    acoppola wrote:

I've noticed this. When Brosnan was Bond Daltons popularity dropped, and now Craig is Bond everyone on this site seems to hate Pierce. First Brosnan was the best since Connery, now it's Craig, etc. I wonder if the same will happen when Craig retires?
    JamesCraig wrote:

Age maybe?

Well you either just had a change of heart, just went with the popular opinion or you just decided you preferred other films more.

I wouldn't put it down to age because I was a teenager during most of the Brosnan years and my appreciation for him has grown more than anything. I never used to have him as my 2nd favourite, he was 3rd for years. And I never used to have GE in my top 5 or TWINE in my top 10.

@thelivingroyale When Craig retires and provided the new actor is very good, there will be jibes how he never quite looked the part and was too serious as well as thuggish. Hence why the new actor is better and so on and so on. There will always be a criticism and they could care less about the acting. They will find anything and at one point Dalton was the most vilified Bond actor during Pierce's early reign. Dalton got it as bad as when Craig got cast.

The hype about you when you are playing Bond evaporates when you are not. Because you are no longer selling magazines or tabloids. So they need another guy and need to justify the hype to an extent.

How many times have you heard that Pierce was the return of the Connery era? And how many times did you hear that about Daniel? And I am sure they said the same when Timothy was Bond! It's more predictable than the English weather.

Difficult decision due to their movies being made in different era's and being completely different movies (obvious comment). They are probably both spot on for the time the movies were/are made. If I have to make the choice then I'd probably go for Daltons less hard but more emotional Bond than Craigs harder yet less emotive Bond (I don't think Craig brings the emotion across as well as Dalton).

Glad you mentioned the timelines the movies were made in. Sometimes that context disappears and is absolutely necessary for a rational argument. Had Dalton been 41 in 2006, then of course he would have approached his films differently. Dalton even said he wished he got the CR script and would have killed for it.

Just like Connery was bang up to date for the 1960's and perfect for that time.

My vote goes to Dalton because he did it at a time when there was zero acceptance for what he was doing and he knew it. He even said him and Cubby were lone voices as the idea of a serious Bond was not unanimous.

And Dalton's Bond approach is not influenced by other films of his era. Time will tell is all I am saying. Please to anyone, the Miami Vice jibe about LTK is a rehash of what one journalist wrote and seems to have had a hypnotic effect on some.

Timothy
    Quoting an old post here:
    I was wondering now that we've seen Bond 23 and it also seems a bit like a "becoming Bond" type of film,...

Personally I think he still has room to really get into a great series, (the way Skyfall ended - was a great setup reminiscing of the past) but if hes out of the series at this point, then my credit towards him would plummet.

Thoughts?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    <blockquote><a href="/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/6393#Comment_6393">Quoting Bond</a>:
    <BLOCKQUOTE>
    <DIV><A href="/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/6331#Comment_6331"
    rel=nofollow>Quoting Samuel001</A>: Dalton. Though Craig, in time, could be
    better than him. </DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Why isn't he already? Just wondering. </blockquote>

He's only played the "becoming Bond" version of Bond and not really the real thing yet, as he will in <i>Bond 23</i>. Let's see how he does then.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 17
    I think DC signed for two more films. I've yet to see Skyfall, but I like Craig as the new Bond and I have liked all of the Bonds. They've changed thru the years but probably Craig is closer to the original description of Bond. Have a wonderful day everyone.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    @thelivingroyale

No. I liked most Connery's movies at the same time I enjoyed Brosnan's. It's just because I came to realize that I don't like clichés, and PB became better as Bond just as his tenure had became worse & worse. I've come to prefer TWINE over GE now for that very same reason. Not that the former isn't flawed...

My feelings for Moore have changed in the sense that I at least can acknowledge he cared for the role, and didn't copy Connery.

I was 11 when I first saw a Bondfilm, and 18 when DAD came out.

BTW: the "jibes" that Craig doesn't look like Bond are there since he was announced back in 2005. I didn't like him too at first.
  • Why choose? Both are great. The only sad thing is that Dalton made just 2 Bond films.
    They should have brought him in from AVTAK right up to Craig's arrival.

I would have missed Pierce getting his shot though... and he wouldn't do them after he turned fifty anyway.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    chrisisall wrote:

I would have missed Pierce getting his shot though... and he wouldn't do them after he turned fifty anyway.

Frankly, I think we would've been much better off. Dalton would never agree with TND & DAD, nor the stupid moments in TWINE (Bond caring for Elektra after she has been killed, the hacksaw, "I insist", the overly long opening boat chase)

Hell, I'm even betting he'd never agree with Denise Richards either.
    JamesCraig wrote:
    Dalton would never agree with TND
    He wasn't going to do Bond at all after the mid-nineties, so Brozzer still would have gotten his turn, actually...
    It was an "imagine if he'd stayed" kind of post. :>
    Maybe if the Queen had asked him to stay on then....?
    JamesCraig wrote:
    It was an "imagine if he'd stayed" kind of post. :>

In Roger Moore's book Bond On Bond, he mentions that Tim's films were postponed a few times just as they were about to start. A damn shame. Bond ended up doing nothing for 6 years and the studio lost hundreds of millions in revenue stream.

No Bond film has ever flopped as in not making a profit for the studio. Even LTK by making over 5 times it's budget had profit as well as the money to make another film.

I mean LTK took $156 million. Well let's say the budget plus promotion cost $4O million ( John Glen said in his book they hardly spent anything on USA promotion)
    That leaves a profit margin of close to a $60 million.

And it is clearly evident that since LTK got squashed by Batman as well as Indiana in the USA, all subsequent Bond films have a last quarter of the year release date. Skyfall would have lost revenue against The Dark Knight Rises.

A modern Bond film like Skyfall has a budget including promotion of close to $250 million. And for a film like that to break even, they need to take back 2 and a half times that. So roughly $625 million to be even. And the rest is profit after that, but you also have to allocate a huge part of the profits for the next film.

I could be wrong though with the above paragraph.

• JamesCraig wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Frankly, I think we would've been much better off. Dalton would never agree with TND & DAD, nor the stupid moments in TWINE (Bond caring for Elektra after she has been killed, the hacksaw, "I insist", the overly long opening boat chase)

Not much wrong with TND imo. Get a better actress to play Paris, use Surrender as the theme and tone down the action in the 2nd half and it'd be a top 10 film. Boat chase was aweome, imo the best PTS of the series.

Anyway, it's not about if Dalton would agree or not. I doubt Brosnan agreed with most of that stuff, it's what he was given. The only actor to really get any creative control is Craig (Dalton got LTKs script 10 days before shooting started).
  • JamesCraig wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Agreed, Brosnan acting skills were never in doubt, but his willing participation on DAD for instance is what in my mind undermined his credibility as Bond.