Last Time?

edited July 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,341
Maybe we have already discussed this but here goes.
Of the Bond actors, many of the favorites seemed to go out on a sour or weak film note. Sean as beloved as he was, his final films, DAF and NSNA were forgettable. I think I liked him better in NSNA than DAF.
Roger Moore's films made a lot of money and to many younger fans, he "was James Bond". However his final film is flawed and based by fans all around the world of 007.
Pierce Brosnan was a "people's choice" Bond. His films made mucho $$$. Yet his final outing DAD ranks as one of the worst of the series. Most of us on this chat has listed it in their bottom three.

That being said the two Bonds who get the least "love", Dalts and Lazenby can point to their final films and hold their heads high. Granted, George's first film was also his last, but it was a great start and is seen as "one fo the best" of the series
Maybe Dalton lacked the charisma of Brozza but his final film LTK is argumentally the best film since TSWLM. Violent and dark, it may the next Bond film to achieve cult status.

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,690
    1) DAF
    2) AVTAK
    3) LTK
    4) DAD
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    1)DAD
    2)DAF
    3)AVTAK
    4)LTK

LTK is so good I don't think it even belongs in this company of garbage. I rather enjoy it, while the other three make me purge.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,690
    @0Brady is your #4 your favorite ? Because my #4 is my least favorite 'final outing'.
    It is interesting that the three most well known 007 actors- Sean Connery, Roger Moore, and Pierce Brosnan- all ended on what people think of as sour exits, though I actually enjoy DAF, AVTAK, and even DAD. NSNA is the only one I could agree with on here as being a sour exit. I disagree that they are bad entries for their actor to leave on, but from a majority opinion, then you are correct. However, at the time, both Lazenby and Dalton left their era with the currently disappointed fans wanting more, since OHMSS and LTK didn't exactly slay the box office in 1969 or 1989 (wow, 20 year gap, that's strange).

When I rank them:

1. License to Kill- #2 in my rankings
    2. A View to a Kill- #3 in my rankings
    3. Diamonds Are Forever- #10 in my rankings
    4. Die Another Day- #15 in my rankings
    5. On Her Majesty's Secret Service- #22 in my rankings
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Well this will probably be a short thread if we are just discussing the last films of the actors who played Bond. And I agree - LTK is a fine film and Timothy ended (albeit unfortunately truly his last) as Bond on a high note. AVTAK is the worse of the "final" films for me.
    So in order of preference:
    1) LTK
    2) DAF
    3) DAD
    4) OHMSS
    5) AVTAK
    @4EverBonded: Very nice to see someone ranking Die Another Day above On Her Majesty's Secret Service! Excellent tastes!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    @0Brady is your #4 your favorite ? Because my #4 is my least favorite 'final outing'.

LTK is my favorite out of all of the 4 there, yes. I rated them with 1 being the worst, and 4 the least horrible.

LTK is my favorite out of all of the 4 there, yes. I rated them with 1 being the worst, and 4 the least horrible.

Hahahahahahaha, at first glance I saw Die Another Day at the top of your list with #1 beside it, and I almost had a heart attack! I was thinking you must have had some kind of turn-around to put one of your most despised Bond movie on top!
    00Beast wrote:

Hahahahahahaha, at first glance I saw Die Another Day at the top of your list with #1 beside it, and I almost had a heart attack! I was thinking you must have had some kind of turn-around to put one of your most despised Bond movie on top!

I guess the ranking doesn't make much sense, sorry. For clarification, by ranking of most favorite to least favorite:

1)LTK
    2)AVTAK
    3)DAF
    4)DAD
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I have the same exact list as you do.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I'm not going to bother to rate. LTK is by far the best of the four. The other three occupy the bottom three of my rankings.
    1-LTK
    2-AVTAK
    3-DAF
    4-DAD

It's wierd, how one of them is my favourite (take a guess which), and the others are all at the bottom of my list.
    1-LTK
    2-AVTAK
    3-DAF
    4-DAD

It's wierd, how one of them is my favourite (take a guess which), and the others are all at the bottom of my list.

It's funny how one or two of them occupy such a high ranking on some user's lists, and the others are at the far bottom. Goes to show what an impact a final actor's Bond film can have on a list. I might have to start a Bondathon soon and make a full list. Oddly enough, I don't have one.
    1) LTK (7/10)
    2) DAD (6/10)
    3) AVTAK (6/10)
    4) DAF (4/10)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    1-LTK
    2-AVTAK
    3-DAF
    4-DAD

It's funny how one or two of them occupy such a high ranking on some user's lists, and the others are at the far bottom. Goes to show what an impact a final actor's Bond film can have on a list. I might have to start a Bondathon soon and make a full list. Oddly enough, I don't have one.

That's all right though; I'll admit that it is quite difficult to make a ranking of all twenty-two! I always seem to have four of them that I want to put into the top ten, but then that would make fourteen instead of ten, so at that point I have to go back through those fourteen and re-evaluate, haha. I finally made a very solid and firm list a few weeks ago that I'm really satisfied with.
    I just haven't seen the older ones as much as I would like to, and it's pretty upsetting. I really, really need to get around to watching them all in a row, like I typically try to do every summer, before I leave for the beach and find myself having no time to dedicate to anything but packing back up for college.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just haven't seen the older ones as much as I would like to, and it's pretty upsetting. I really, really need to get around to watching them all in a row, like I typically try to do every summer, before I leave for the beach and find myself having no time to dedicate to anything but packing back up for college.

Same with me, most of the older ones I've looked over recently. I know that GF, TB, YOLT, and OHMSS are all due for a rewatching soon.
    The last Bond film I watched was TB a few months ago. Very enjoyable, and a great score, from what I remember.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,447
    Movies:

1. AVTAK (5/22)
    2. OHMSS (6/22)
    3. TMWTGG (11/22) ''Harry Saltman his last Bond movie as producer''
    4. DAF (13/22)
    5. LTK (15/22)
    6. DAD (18/22)

Bond performance

1. DAF
    2. OHMSS
    3. AVTAK
    4. LTK
    5. DAD

Maintitle

1. OHMSS
    2. DAD
    3. DAF
    4. LTK
    5. AVTAK

Song or theme:

1. OHMSS
    2. LTK
    3. DAF
    4. AVTAK
    5. DAD

Gunbarrel scene

1. OHMSS
    2. LTK
    3. DAF
    4. DAD
    5. AVTAK

Villian

1. OHMSS
    2. DAF
    3. AVTAK
    4. LTK
    5. DAD
    @M_Balje: Ah yes, your classic method of ranking! I might have guessed! ( said in Roger Moore style from Moonraker) I think I'll have a go at it.

Movies
    Already did that in my above post

Bond Performance
    1. License to Kill
    2. A View to a Kill
    3. Diamonds Are Forever
    4. Die Another Day
    5. On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Theme Song
    1. A View to a Kill- Duran Duran
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service- John Barry Orchestra
    3. License to Kill- Gladys Knight
    4. Die Another Day- Madonna
    5. Diamonds Are Forever- Shirley Bassey

Gunbarrel Sequence
    1. License to Kill
    2. Die Another Day
    3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    4. A View to a Kill
    5. Diamonds Are Forever

Main Villain
    1. Max Zorin
    2. Franz Sanchez
    3. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (OHMSS)
    4. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (DAF)
    5. Gustav Graves

Soundtrack
    1. A View to a Kill (Snow Job/He's Dangerous is simply awe-inspiring)
    2. Diamonds Are Forever (007 and Counting drives this one, along with many other great tracks whose names I don't know)
    3. License to Kill (underrated in my opinion- I love the version of the James Bond Theme Kamen did for LTK)
    4. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (the theme song is really cool)
    5. Die Another Day (not horrible by any means, just got last spot here)

Main Girl
    1. Pam Bouvier
    2. Stacey Sutton
    3. Tiffany Case
    4. Jinx
    5. Tracy (she gets on my last nerve)

Main Henchmen
    1. Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd
    2. Dario
    3. Irma Bunt
    4. May Day
    5. Zao
  • LTK was by far the best for me, if not including OHMS then it is close. AVTAK , DAD, and DAF show why a change was needed , while LTK has me wishing for more of Dalts
    Licence to kill is the best out of them by far
    1.LTK
    2.DAF
    3.AVTAK
    4.DAD

LTK is far superior to the other 3, if we were including OHMSS though that would be my number 1.