Roger Moore...in Diamonds are Forever or The Living Daylights?

Comments

I know this was commented on before, but seriously, how can anyone have envisaged Moore in The Living Daylights ? Was this meant to be something out of the humor corner that the author put together ?

Moore was effectively finished as Bond after FYEO, although Octopussy is in fact, a fun and entertaining adventure, but Roger was nonetheless still past it as the iconic character and really, shouldn't have featured again after Moonraker - and we've got a discussion underway as to whether Moore should of featured again in '87, and with it, take the place of one Timothy Dalton ?..

Guess strange things will happen on these pages often enough, but for the final time, there's no chance in hell Moore could of worked for TLD, it's as though we'd want to see Brosnan in Skyfall - you got to realize, some things just can't be done

LALD was just about the perfect introduction for Moore to make his Bond debut - I think the 60s would appear too premature, and despite Connery making a grand mess of things in DAF, would only want Lazenby instead for that particular release - I think Moore's 1973 debut just can't be beaten -

Kind of content to just leave things the way they turned out, in retrospect
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Rog in DAF. Probably would make it my favorite Roger Moore Bond movie. Also it would have been great to make Wint and Kidd reoccurring villains like Jaws. I Would have loved to seen them in Moonraker and I'm not joking.
    DAF for sure; it fits his more light-hearted movies and he's the one I envision in most after Connery for the film. I'm still glad Connery was in it simply because I like him so much. Rog in Living Daylights wouldn't have been that good.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That was an easy question. My opinion is the same as most others obviously.
    Even as a big Sir Rog supporter, it's hard to deny that AVTAK was one too many and I can't see any reason for him to appear in TLD, the only way this would have happend would be if Timbo and Brosnan were not available and no one else fit the bill, then maybe they would have hired Rog again just to keep some money coming in with another release.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Murdock wrote:
    Also it would have been great to make Wint and Kidd reoccurring villains like Jaws. I Would have loved to seen them in Moonraker and I'm not joking.
    That's an interesting idea. They certainly wouldn't have disrupted the tone of the film. It would also save us from having to watch Jaws make a buffoon of himself.
    pachazo wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Also it would have been great to make Wint and Kidd reoccurring villains like Jaws. I Would have loved to seen them in Moonraker and I'm not joking.
    That's an interesting idea. They certainly wouldn't have disrupted the tone of the film. It would also save us from having to watch Jaws make a buffoon of himself.

Also we would be spared the Dolly romance. Wint and Kidd would be immune to her charms.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 4,762
    I wish Wint and Kidd had been given a chance to actually fight Bond in a hand-to-hand fashion, rather than the unnecessary "death by dinner" sequence, which was incredibly embarrassing, to say the least.
    00Beast wrote:
    I wish Wint and Kidd had been given a chance to actually fight Bond in a hand-to-hand fashion, rather than the unnecessary "death by dinner" sequence, which was incredibly embarrassing, to say the least.
    That scene would have been right at home with Moore, wouldn't it!
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Was musing over Moore in The Living Daylights, looked for photos from 1987 he arguably looked better than he did in 1985. When I watch A View to A Kill I think his alleged face lift is possibly more distracting than his age.

Navy-Blazer-Button-Down-2.jpg

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Rumors around the media said that Roger Moore had a facelift before his last Bond movies. However, no evidence supported the rumors?
    Well we know he had his mole removed before AVTAK. Face lift is speculation, could be true I don't know. It may just be that he lost a bit of weight and the horrendous 80's make up that was used, gave a bit of a weird appearance in AVTAK.
    Indeed it is speculation I remember the reports at the time, it could have been g force perhaps...

A-View-to-a-Kill-148.jpg
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    There were moments in VTAK where he just looked wrong, his eyes give me the creeps.
    in that film at times.

Considering I consider DAF & VTAK right near the bottom, Rog probably would have been better for DAF, I'm not sure it would have improved it much though.

Most definitely not TLD though, yes it was a Moore rewrite but I'm glad it was tailored more for Dalton, now that could been one car crash of a film with Rog. He should thrown the towel in after FYEO.

The Moore films are fine for their time I guess but the idea they should make them like that now would have turned the series into a laughing stock, it always has to move on and it does.

Some like it some don't, you are never going to please the fanbase entire ever, some would rather Bond was a timepiece and a cliche that much is true. The attempts to make Craig more like the Bond of old in SPECTRE are the best evidence they should have never gone there.

Personally i think Sir Roger looks good in OP and glad he stayed on for it.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,813
    Moore's hair looks like a solid piece half the time, like Lego hair, lol!

1312-1.jpg

I always thought it looked best when it was slightly messed up, like in Moonraker after the G Force simulator, or even the deleted watch scene from AVTAK.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I would say, hands down, DaF. With that said, Moore's appearance in his final 3 films would have been helped immensely with a better, much shorter haircut.
    Why would ANYONE want to do TLD with that daft cow Kara in it....At least Craigbond,Connerybond and Lazenbybond would have just shot her...
    I don't get the Kara hate. I like her and think that her somewhat naïve, innocent persona was a nice change of pace from the previous, more worldly, femme fatales
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don't get the Kara hate. I like her and think that her somewhat naïve, innocent persona was a nice change of pace from the previous, more worldly, femme fatales

Oh there is no hate @talos7 ....its just me....

Maybe hate was too strong a word. In general she does seem to rank low among fans.
    Oh no..i do actually hate her...haha
    I always liked Kara. She's one of my favorites.
    As much as I love Tim in TLD, I do think Moore looked better in 1987 than in AVTAK. On the Happy Anniversary 007 special he pretty much looks like his old OP self.
    Had he done TLD I might have enjoyed it just as much, though I imagine the script would have had more one liners. He'd probably have his Lotus instead of the Volante/Vantage, and certain scenes would have played out differently.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Maybe hate was too strong a word. In general she does seem to rank low among fans.

@talos7 Barry has many problems ! not just with the lovely Kara

:D !!.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm okay until she suddenly develops these combat skills and nerves of steel. I hate all of that grabbing the weapon and beating up the guy and all of that.

A bit weird. Suddenly Kara becomes Kra.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 7,891
    Hey, she rose to the occasion when needed! Carrying a cello is great for conditioning :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That's when the movie needed her to think for herself and not what Bond and Koskov told her to think. ;)
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

@talos7 Barry has many problems ! not just with the lovely Kara

:D !!.

So true ..so true..
  • NicNac wrote: »
    I think you highlighted enough reasons why Rog couldn't have done TLD. <br />
    The pts and climax are great sequences and the growing relationship of the two leads is genuinely touching. Without all of these elements TLD would not work.

I hated The Living Daylights when I was 9. All I kept saying was 'Where's Roger Moore'. It needed him to be a great movie.

• I touched on this notion briefly in the 'Ultimate Bond Timeline' thread (http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/194/your-ultimate-bond-timeline#Item_11) and thought it deserved more discussion...

In that thread I had mentioned that the movie 'could have' worked, provided Roger played his age, rather than acting like a 'young Bond'. Having watched Living Daylights recently- I was pleased to find only a minor few details that would have made the casting of Roger Moore impossible.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. IT WORKED IN ALL THE OTHERS SO IT WOULD HAVE WORKED IN TLD TOO - AND MUCH BETTER. SINCE WHEN DID ROGER MOORE EVER ACT LIKE A 'YOUNG BOND'? THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!

Bond in Living Daylights doesn't engage that much in age restricted physical stuff- in most of the action, he's shooting or driving. Yes the PTS would have needed tweaking, and the fight with Necros on the plane would have been laughable with an 'old man'.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE HAVING HIM PLAY THE ROLE AS A 60 YEAR OLD. HARRISON FORD IS ABOUT TO PLAY INDIANA JONES AT 75. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

That dude that played Necros could probably wipe the floor with Roger in real life, lol.

THIS ISN'T ''REAL LIFE'' DUDE, IT'S A MOVIE AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY.

As far as Bond's sex appeal, the part when he's 'picked up' by Felix's girls would have been laughable. They'd have to tone down the romance with Kara- unless they had an older actress.

NONSENSE. IT WOULD BE FINE HAVING HIM ROMANCE A WOMAN IN HER TWENTIES, WHEN HE WAS 60. ROGER WAS VERY SMOOTH AND COULD EASILY PULL IT OFF. I WOULD NOT HAVE FOUND IT 'LAUGHABLE' AS A 9 YEAR OLD, AND THAT'S WHO THE FILM MAKERS WERE AIMING AT - NOT MATURE ADULTS WHO WERE JADED AND WOULDN'T BELIEVE CAUSE THEY'D SEEN IT ALL BEFORE.

To conclude, of course I'm glad we got Dalton when we did (he's my favorite) but I can't help but get a little sad when I hear Roger's dislike for generally everything about AVTAK. His last movie should have been something he's proud of (in reality, Octopussy. But it's fun to imagine)

IT'S ONLY BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE SLATED HIM IN A VIEW TO A KILL, BUT NOT THE KID'S WHO SAW THE MOVIE. I SAW IT WHEN I WAS 7 AND LOVED IT. I ALSO DIDN'T CARE THAT HE HAD SEX WITH A WOMAN IN HER 20s AT 58. IT'S NOT THAT IMPORTANT.

What are your thoughts? Could a 'mature Bond' have made up for AVTAK and helped Moore end with a GREAT final movie?
    I personally don't have a problem with Bond's age.... as long as he acts his age!

I'D RATHER HE DIDN'T 'ACT HIS AGE'. HE'S JAMES BOND AT THE END OF THE DAY AND THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT FUN.