Roger Moore...in Diamonds are Forever or The Living Daylights?

Comments

While Roger is my first favorite Bond actor, I don't think he'd fit the script of TLD. It called for someone darker and harder-edged, and that just wasn't him. Now as far as DAF is concerned, he would have been perfectly suited for the role. Ah, I could just see Roger facing off against Wint and Kidd right now. That would have been something to see!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,894
    I'm all for more Dalton, but being realistic, I can't see him playing Bond further than 2002. Some might say that he'd be pushing it playing Bond even in 2002, but I think he could have gotten away with one last Bond in 2001 or 2002 (depending on the cycle of his films).
    @MajorDSmythe: I would have liked Timothy to have done about two more Bond movies in the time between LTK and GE. Since typically a new Bond movie comes out in a two-year span, then he could have done one in 1991 and another in 1993 before Pierce Brosnan filled the shoes in 1995 for GE.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    As I said before : Dalton should have ended in 2000, after 7 films, and then Brosnan takes over from 2002 to 2012 (12 films)... And Fassbender is Bond #7 in 2014.
    @DaltonCraig007: That would have been pretty cool! And it wouldn't have been completely strange, because Roger was 58 when he left, and Brosnan was 50 by DAD, so he at least would have eight years to be Bond before it was time to quit. Also, I love the fantasy of Timothy Dalton's extended Bond career. It's too bad LTK was his last.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @00Beast : This is Brosnan in 2010 - A very credible older Bond, on the verge of retirement !!

Were you trying to show me a picture? If so, I didn't get it. Sorry! This computer I'm on frequently makes mistakes.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Were you trying to show me a picture? If so, I didn't get it. Sorry! This computer I'm on frequently makes mistakes.
    It's not just you @00Beast, I've also got the dreaded red X.

Just go to 'Properties' after right-clicking the image and copy and paste the URL.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe: I would have liked Timothy to have done about two more Bond movies in the time between LTK and GE. Since typically a new Bond movie comes out in a two-year span, then he could have done one in 1991 and another in 1993 before Pierce Brosnan filled the shoes in 1995 for GE.
    I'm my perfet world scenario, Dalton doesn't start until 1990 and goes up until 1998. That was he ends at an age when he could still squeeze in another film or two. Brosnan is neer cast, instead in 2000 new Bond is choosen. So as not to derail this thread, just see my post here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/194/your-ultimate-bond-timeline#Item_16

Here you go 00Beast !!
    Thanks DaltonCraig007! Now I can see what you mean. Pierce still has that Bond look about him, and I see what you mean about the verge of retirement. It's a shame he couldn't play past Die Another Day.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Nice pic- he does look great. I would have been totally fine with Brosnan hanging around for another movie or two... if they were GOOD, that is
    @Master_Dahark: Yeah, TWINE and DAD really ruined Pierce Brosnan's time as 007. If they had given him better movies to work with, than he could possibly still be James Bond at this moment!
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 4,813
    @Master_Dahark: If they had given him better movies to work with, than he could possibly still be James Bond at this moment!
    Wow I just realized when you said that-- this year, Pierce is the same age as Moore was in AVTAK- I daresay he looks better than Moore did! what do you think?

But it's true about his movies- half of them sucked. If only he had better movies- Brosnan wasn't bad himself- I know I knock on him alot, but it's not 100% his fault

BTW I can't believe Pierce is almost 60! :O
    @Master_Dahark: It's scary isn't it! He doesn't look like a near-60! And to answer your question, yes, he does look much better than Roger. This just proves why he should still be 007. It wouldn't hurt Daniel Craig to have to wait a bit before he got his turn with the PPK. He looks considerably younger than his current age, so he could have waited until, say, maybe now to play Bond, because he still looks the part. It still bugs me how Pierce got cheated out of 007.
  • You know a funny thought just popped in my head and I wanted to share-- If Roger was in TLD, the scene at the carnival would have gone EXACTLY like this:
    Saunders gets killed by the door- someone says 'Where's Saunders?"

Bond does the eyebrow thing: 'Oh he had to split.'

LOL you know that would have happened
    @Master_Dahark: Yes! It would have happened just like that!
  • well i believe roger would of been able to take over for connery but im glad he didnt cause i dont like diamonds are forever a whole lot and neither do i like live and let die,for me moores bond carear starts to pick up on the man w the golden gun and of course he had some great films as well.
    i wish we would of not seen the legal problems as i would like to have seen what dalton would of done for us in terms of becoming bond, finally i wish peirce was around still i cant stand craig as bond thats why im hoping soon hes replaced
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 1,778
    As much as I loved Roger Moore he absolutly should not have been in TLD. The man would've been 59 at the time and already with AVTAK had stayed on 1 film too many. Ideally I would've liked to have seen Moore retire with Octopussy, one of his best films in my opinion, and have Dalton debut at age 41 in AVTAK. Naturally this would mean that AVATK would be drastically changed and TLD tweaked a bit as it would've been Dalton's sophomore outing rather than his debut. But imagine Dalton and Walken together in AVTAK. It would've been amazing.

But I definatly could've seen Moore debuting in DAF and making all of the 1970s "Moore's decade". The film itself suits him much more than it did Connery. Plus Connery (despite only being 41 at the time and younger than Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan when they made their debuts) looks old, fat, and past his prime.
  • Sorry for resurrecting a long dead thread but I didn't know where else to post this.

Whether or not Roger stayed on too long is an endless debate, but one thing a few of us noticed is that Roger only looked bad in the movie A View to a Kill. Or in other words, Roger Moore didn't look that old if you saw him in interviews, or other movies from that same year. But be it the clothes or the make-up, Roger did look old as Bond in that AVTAK.

Well-- the same goes for Lois Maxwell it seems. I came across this neat interview from The Living Daylights premier where Caroline Bliss is being interviewed by none other than Lois Maxwell! She looks way better here than she did in her last TWO Bond movies!

Maybe the wardrobe and makeup person for AVTAK should have been let go.... ;)

I would love to hear Roger deliver the line "He got the boot" in The Living Daylights!
    Roger Moore in Daylights? No no no! I could see him in Diamonds though as that's a joke of a film to begin with.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm certain Moore could have done DAF. DAF might have even been better with Moore in it (it might have actually been a good film).
  • I will go with Moore in DAF. But it should have been Lazenby in a tough all out revenge thriller directed by Peter Hunt. This is were movies were going in the early 70's just like THE FRENCH CONNECTION. Imagine how that would have been....and then they could have rebooted if that didn't work out with Moore in LALD!...
    Maybe yes in Diamonds, but would have been too old for The Living Daylights.
  • Lazenby should have done DAF end of.

Cubby,Harry and Hunt really screwed up in the way they handled Lazenby. Yes he did have an ego bigger than all the other 007 actors combined but by DAF that would have changed.

You would have thought Cubby and Harry would have learned their lesson with Connery but NO they still thought they could steamroller Lazenby.

The head of UA insisting that Connery bring brought back was a real sign of desperation. Connery looks so old and overweight.
  • I'd like Moore in DAF, he looked more like Bond than Connery, and you could say the film was moore suited to him (sorry, that was terrible).

But not in TLD. I think TLD was suited to Dalton and I also think Moore should have retired after OP.

I'd put Moore in DAF, and Dalton in AVTAK.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Moore in a recent IGN interview, when asked which film he didn't do he would have liked to star in, picked Diamonds Are Forever due to the script.

So case closed, the man himself has spoken!
    moore would have been awful in TLD to be honest. much as i admire sir rog.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 401
    Moore in either film would have ruined two very entertaining Bond films IMO, he got enough time as Bond as it is. Nothing against the man, but the more and more I look back on his tenure, the more and more I dislike him as Bond.