Your top 5 films of your favorite director !

12346»

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Always hated "French Connection 2." It feels like a one-hour movie bloated out to two hours, with 30 or 40 boring minutes devoted to our hero kicking heroin addiction. Then it ends with him running for a couple of miles before managing the miraculous trick shot of hitting a moving target with a snub-nosed revolver from over a hundred meters. This would be unbelievable even for James Bond (I'm looking at you, Spectre)--but at least Bond is a fantasy hero. Popeye Doyle is supposedly based on real life. Heck, even Annie Oakley couldn't have made that shot.

Have to disagree. Frankenheimar has a different style to Friedkin, but knows how to build a thriller expertly. I love the fish out of water aspect of it. Wonderful scene where Doyle is desperately trying to find someone who speaks English! And the whole cold turkey sequence is harrowing, and Hackman is superb. One of my favourite scenes is when he finds the seedy hotel where they kept him and torches it. And the finale is utterly thrilling , a great foot chase and a brilliant payoff, and the sudden cut to black. Sorry, but i love French Connection 2, an exemplary thriller! A lot of modern thriller Directors could learn a thing or three from watching this!

The 'stranger in a strange land' aspect is so well conceived in this film. The character of Doyle even gets an undercover cop killed because he has no idea whats going on yet arrogantly blunders through the Marseilles underworld before he really pays the price.

Hackman is just brilliant in this, and his cold turkey scenes are incredibly powerful and very hard to watch.

He also gets great support from Bernard Fresson.

Personally i think the final chase is one of the most intense and nailbiting sequences ever featured in a movie thriller.

My favourite Cop film.

I still think the first one is slightly better, but Frankenheimar made an exceptional sequel!

Oh yeah i love the original film as well. It's just i find FC2 a more satisfying watch.

there's one scene i really detest in FC. Where they tear the car apart in the police garage looking for the drugs and only after doing that decide to look in the most obvious place they could be hidden! I know it's done for dramatic effect, but for me it's just annoying!
    Always hated "French Connection 2." It feels like a one-hour movie bloated out to two hours, with 30 or 40 boring minutes devoted to our hero kicking heroin addiction. Then it ends with him running for a couple of miles before managing the miraculous trick shot of hitting a moving target with a snub-nosed revolver from over a hundred meters. This would be unbelievable even for James Bond (I'm looking at you, Spectre)--but at least Bond is a fantasy hero. Popeye Doyle is supposedly based on real life. Heck, even Annie Oakley couldn't have made that shot.

Have to disagree. Frankenheimar has a different style to Friedkin, but knows how to build a thriller expertly. I love the fish out of water aspect of it. Wonderful scene where Doyle is desperately trying to find someone who speaks English! And the whole cold turkey sequence is harrowing, and Hackman is superb. One of my favourite scenes is when he finds the seedy hotel where they kept him and torches it. And the finale is utterly thrilling , a great foot chase and a brilliant payoff, and the sudden cut to black. Sorry, but i love French Connection 2, an exemplary thriller! A lot of modern thriller Directors could learn a thing or three from watching this!

The 'stranger in a strange land' aspect is so well conceived in this film. The character of Doyle even gets an undercover cop killed because he has no idea whats going on yet arrogantly blunders through the Marseilles underworld before he really pays the price.

Hackman is just brilliant in this, and his cold turkey scenes are incredibly powerful and very hard to watch.

He also gets great support from Bernard Fresson.

Personally i think the final chase is one of the most intense and nailbiting sequences ever featured in a movie thriller.

My favourite Cop film.

I still think the first one is slightly better, but Frankenheimar made an exceptional sequel!

Oh yeah i love the original film as well. It's just i find FC2 a more satisfying watch.

there's one scene i really detest in FC. Where they tear the car apart in the police garage looking for the drugs and only after doing that decide to look in the most obvious place they could be hidden! I know it's done for dramatic effect, but for me it's just annoying!

Haha, yeh, i know what you mean!
    And they didnt think to look at the chart to see the weight of the car varied FIRST instead of last.
    I guess i just like the darker gritty tone of FC, and the cat and mouse game between Frog One and Popeye, and not forgetting that breathless car sequence!
    Outside the heavy hitters like Coppola, Scorsese, Ridley Scott, etc., here are 10 other directors whose films I love.

Andrei Tarkovsky:
    1. Andrei Rublev
    2. The Mirror
    3. Solyaris
    4. Nostalghia
    5. Ivan's Childhood

Bernardo Bertolucci:
    1. Il conformista
    2. 1900
    3. The Last Tango in Paris
    4. The Last Emperor
    5. The Dreamers

Roman Polanski:
    1. Chinatown
    2. The Pianist
    3. Rosemary's Baby
    4. The Ghost Writer
    5. The Tenant

Terry Gilliam:
    1. Brazil
    2. Twelve Monkeys
    3. The Meaning of Life
    4. The Fisher King
    5. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Alfonso Cuaron:
    1. Children of Men
    2. Roma
    3. Y tu mama tambien
    4. Gravity
    5. Great Expectations

Luc Besson:
    1. Leon
    2. The Fifth Element
    3. Le grand bleu
    4. La femme Nikita
    5. Subway

David Cronenberg:
    1. Eastern Promises
    2. The Fly
    3. Dead Ringers
    4. Videodrome
    5. A History of Violence

Pedro Almodovar:
    1. All About My Mother
    2. Talk To Her
    3. Volver
    4. The Skin I Live In
    5. Broken Embraces

Michelangelo Antonioni:
    1. Professione: reporter
    2. L'aventurra
    3. L'eclisse
    4. La notte
    5. Blowup

Hayao Miyazaki:
    1. Spirited Away
    2. Kiki's Delivery Service
    3. Howl's Moving Castle
    4. My Neighbor Totoro
    5. The Wind Rises
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    @GeneralGogol Lovely stuff. I'm a big fan of Besson, Tarkovsky, Polanski and Antonioni myself.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 7,500
    Updated list on Kurosawa, as well as my other favorite Japanese directors.

Akira Kurosawa
    1. Seven Samurai
    2. High and Low
    3. Rashomon
    4. Ran
    5. Kagemusha

Masaki Kobayashi
    1. Harakiri
    2. The Human Condition III
    3. Samurai Rebellion
    4. The Human Condition II
    5. Kwaidan