Just taking the Aston out for a spin, Q.

2»

Comments

• Well I've got to say this is my Lotus straight out of the paint shop last week!
    12752_295981993851886_812489659_n.jpg
  • AliAli
    edited November 2012 Posts: 319
    Lovely. I have a huge soft spot for the Esprit. Same with the 308GTS thanks to Magnum PI!
  • I drive the perfect spy car...a Toyota Camry!

It blends it with the millions of other Camrys on the road today. Easy for going incognito!
  • AliAli
    BondHireCar, have you not got a Renault 11 for hire.... ;-)
    Well I've got to say this is my Lotus straight out of the paint shop last week!
    12752_295981993851886_812489659_n.jpg

Love this car! Been lucky enough to be a passenger in one a few years back. What a thrill!
  • Thanks guys, was tempted by the Renault 11 I must admit - not sure who'd hire it though!
  • AliAli
    If you saw it in half and put small wheels on the trailing edge, you never know!
    @Ali I like your choice in cars. RX8's are awesome! (Only issue I've seen is how much oil they chug through)

I'm looking at a Golf R as my next set.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I drive a 2007 Dodge Charger, love the car!
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 338
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Actually, I just got a 2003 BMW 325ci (for $ 15,000 !!!) this week. My second car, after a 2007 civic ( :-S ).

I love it. 5-speed 2.5L V6 and drives like a dream. I definitely have a cocky Bond confidence driving it with the windows down :D Bond soundtrack + nice BMW = dangerous and fun.

Here's the car:
    2012-06-16_19-55-49_237.jpg?t=1340207647
    2012-06-16_19-35-20_708.jpg?t=1340207600
    (that's my dad, not me)

EDIT: to explain the price for a 10yr old car...

It had >60,000 miles, new brakes, virtually no wear&tear, one owner, 0 notable accidents (if any), and overall was in great shape. I had looked for one of these a year ago when hunting for my first car, and stumbled upon this one last weekend when car shopping for my sister.

Couldn't be happier. If you can find one for a similar price and similar condition, don't hesitate and pick it up!

BMWs have straight 6 engines, not V6. That's what makes them special!!!
    ^^I'll have the opportunity coming up soon to purchase a new (and actually new) car but honestly I hate how all new BMW, and practically everything else, come with all these modes. I shouldn't have to pick how I want to drive EVERY TIME I get in the car. If I want eco, sure I'll push a button, but otherwise keep it in 'Fun' mode.

I hate how I have to mash a button every time I get in the car. So stupid. Tears away at the experience. I want to drive the car like it was meant to be driven, so sell it how it's meant to be driven.
  • AliAli
    edited November 2012 Posts: 319
    @Ali I like your choice in cars. RX8's are awesome! (Only issue I've seen is how much oil they chug through)

I'm looking at a Golf R as my next set.

I had two RX8s over 6 years. Only issue I ever had was a failed catalyst replaced under warranty. They do use oil, but only around 1 litre every 2000 miles. Brilliant cars, especially that one which was the Prodrive limited edition PZ and is the best handling car I've ever owned.

After that I had an Impreza STI 330S that destroyed its own engine at only 20k on the clock and use a lot more oil as well, and now the Evo, which is fantastic bar brake discs made of chocolate. I'm about to get my third replacement set in under a year!!! And I don't even drive them hard (maybe I should?!). The Evo spends most of its time tootling along an A road to work at 50mph in Drive and Normal mode (it's a flappy paddle FQ330 SST).

I tried the Golf R and it's a much more grown up car than the Evo or Scoob, but I couldn't help wishing they'd put it up to 300bhp. It's not much faster than a GTi Edition 30. Good value second hand though. Can't believe there were new cars pushing £40k at dealers around launch though. Before that lot I had 10 years of Honda Type Rs and VTIs, and one Alfa 33 P4 that lasted 2 months and managed to destroy a rear diff and fuel system in that short time.

Very, very tempted to look at 2-3 year old Jag XFRs next, or a slightly younger Lexus IS-F. Both are floating around the price you have to pay for a new Golf GTi these days!!!

A local dealer is selling this DB9 and it's taking all my common sense not to make myself bankrupt to own it...

http://www.topgear-cars.co.uk/showroom/aston-martin-db9
  • AliAli
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    ^^I'll have the opportunity coming up soon to purchase a new (and actually new) car but honestly I hate how all new BMW, and practically everything else, come with all these modes. I shouldn't have to pick how I want to drive EVERY TIME I get in the car. If I want eco, sure I'll push a button, but otherwise keep it in 'Fun' mode.

I hate how I have to mash a button every time I get in the car. So stupid. Tears away at the experience. I want to drive the car like it was meant to be driven, so sell it how it's meant to be driven.

With you on that. I have to go through a ridiculous buttom pressing ritual on mine. Switch off automatic front lighting, switch off stability control (which bogs it down everytime I pull out a junction if I don't) and select Sport mode. Not as bad as the Impreza, which had 7 possible centre diff settings (from a bit of understeer up to mimicking an anvil nailed to the front) and 3 engine maps as well as 3 traction control modes. Just give me a button that changes from "Relaxed Cruising" to "Driving Like Your Pants Are On Fire" and back.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Ali wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

With you on that. I have to go through a ridiculous buttom pressing ritual on mine. Switch off automatic front lighting, switch off stability control (which bogs it down everytime I pull out a junction if I don't) and select Sport mode. Not as bad as the Impreza, which had 7 possible centre diff settings (from a bit of understeer up to mimicking an anvil nailed to the front) and 3 engine maps as well as 3 traction control modes. Just give me a button that changes from "Relaxed Cruising" to "Driving Like Your Pants Are On Fire" and back.

Exactly. And once I push it, it stays like that for days, weeks, years until I push the button again. I shouldn't have to do it everytime. If I hit sport, it stays in sport forever unless I say otherwise. !!!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 612
    The transmission in my Jetta is the same one out of the GTI, (the 6sp DSG). It's great, except it had to be completely replaced in September), but the sport mode after Driver. So you get your P R N D S. It's fine, but then I put the car in sport when I only want it in drive. Sport mode is great at <30km/h, but under, the car just rocks around like it doesn't know whether it's going forwards or backwards. That's due to the dual clutches...

The car isn't very sporty at all, except for the transmission and the tires. The steering isn't bad either, it has nice weight, but the suspension could be substituted for marshmallows.