Bond’s Greatest Stunt

13»

Comments

Mere pikers, every mothers sons of you. What was the most dangerous stunt of all? What stunt would Bond risk his life that none of us could do? What was the one stunt that sends shivers up your spine just to think about it? Easy answer.

Bedding Grace Jones and live to tell the tale.

Br-r-r-r-r.
    She bedded him
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Would do and have done.

The real skill is holding the body position like he does which I didn't really manage after about the first 20 feet.

Look at the stunt again, you may notice something.

There is no digital fakery to remove anything in the first seconds. It wasn't available at that time (hence why you can spot the trucks on the top of the dam :) )

Not really sure what point you're trying to make here.
    And well, did you jump really away from the wall, or did you "fall" parallel to it ? I'm pretty sure it's forbidden to jump away from it, I could not find a single video like it, everyone is parallel to the wall to balance along it.

Yes they make you believe you make the 007 stunt. But, well, you won't find anyone posting a video looking anything close to it... They don't want anyone to smash on the wall by balancing away from it and back, they probably had to tune the real 007 jump at the kilogram to avoid this and still have the visual impact of such a long fall on screen away from the concrete.

Yes you are of course correct that you don't make the jump away from the wall as filmed which is a bit annoying but obviously to avoid people getting shredded against the wall as they bounce back up. I'm not quite sure how Michaels avoided this and not sure if it was solely down to his body position or some trick with the rigging.

1. You can do it, but that doesn't mean the stunt wasn't one of the best of the franchise. There was very, very real danger involved here, which other posters have explained.

It is certainly more dangerous than the version available to the public for the reasons mentioned above. However we are discussing the best stunt not one of the best stunts and while I don't think anyone's saying it's not a very good stunt I don't think it has enough variables to go wrong to make it deserving of number one.
    2. Sure, but would you be willing to skydive dozens of times over and over to get the perfect fight scene that the producers want? And the parachutes are hidden in your clothes, so it's not exactly easy to access either.

It's a pheneomenal sequence for sure but the fact that it's pieced together detracts from it being a great stunt (singular). I would say asking professional skydivers to do another jump to get the perfect take is hardly that onerous a request.
    3. I don't know what you mean here. "By far the first time it was performed"? How does that make it not original, then?

I don't know what you mean here - unless you need me to define the word original for you?

Another couple that haven't been mentioned that deserve a bit of credit:

1. The boat barrel roll in TWINE. Get that wrong and you would get a very nasty faceful of water which at that speed could cause serious injury.

2. The bobsleigh going over the grenade in OHMSS. The way the body gets blown off looks painfully real. If that's not a dummy then I don't know how the stuntman escaped unscathed.

3. Skiing behind the bob in FYEO is an impressive feat in itself but make a mistake and fall over and you've got a bike with spiked tyres right on top of you.
    The 2 that stand out for me are the Ski jump from TSWLM and the Dam jump from GE.
    For me, the best stunt is not only a question of physical endeavour, but how it has been translated to the screen - where the crew thought about all cinematic aspects when performing it.

The PTS parachute fight of MR meets those criteria.

The fact that it was done by professional skydivers does not make it that less impressive. I think all the stunts mentioned before were done by professionals.

Even though I know this stunt is an assembly of various takes, it still impresses me. But moreover, I like the cinematic quality of it all: the framing of the entire stunt is very good, the 'choreography' was put together in an excellent manner and Barry Norman's score is a great addition to the sequence.

But actually, in TLD, Dalton's hanging on to the jeep rushing down the rock of Gibraltar is also very good. After the Moore-era, I was very pleasantly surprised to see the actor's face clearly visible during a stunt. Dalton not being a qualified stuntman, this could have turned out very nasty - and apparently it gave Broccoli nearly a fit when he visited the set and saw Dalton instead of a stuntman dangling by the side of that jeep. There is some footage on the extra's of TLD, where you see Dalton actually jumping of the jeep and out of the way of the oncoming jeep.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    @dowgroup007 - You keep getting John Barry mixed up with Barry Norman. But other than that, good post.
    That's the second time I've seen Barry Norman's name come up as a composer :))
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »

"Aaand why not."

Benny wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »

"Aaand why not."

Apparently he never actually said that.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 14,867
    You got the meaning though. That's the main thing.
    "Thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the fish."

OHMSS
    LALD
    TSWLM
    MR
    FYEO
    OP
    TLD
    LTK
    GE
    TND
    TWINE
    And
    CR are the most stunt heavy movies in my mind. Some of the greatest stunts put to film can be found in the Bond series.
    One that doesn't seem to get so much love is the other Rick Sylvester stunt. Falling off the cliff face in FYEO. Very impressive, and very dangerous to boot.
  • GBFGBF
    I think the most dangerous stunt is the fall from St Cyrill's. It was extremely dangerous since no parachute might have helped him in case of a mistake. I also like the crocodile stunt, the Cargo net fight and the car stunts from TMWTGG and CR. The car landing on a bus is also a very difficult but underrated car stunt.
    @dowgroup007 - You keep getting John Barry mixed up with Barry Norman. But other than that, good post.

Thanks for pointing it out - I was getting tired at that point, I'm afraid, because I do know the difference between the two.

~X(
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    What stunts are there in TSWLM other than the PTS?
    What stunts are there in TSWLM other than the PTS?

Not a lot to be honest.

Some decent fast driving (but hardly anything the Stig doesn't do) and a few high falls in the final battle.

Actually when you think about it just where is all the action in TSWLM? After the PTS there's only the Lotus chase as a standout action set piece as I have to say I don't find the big battles that engaging as I prefer Bond to be on his own rather than just one of many soldiers I don't care about.