A James Bond Period Piece?

2»

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sure if it went through HBO or Showtime, then we would get more far more in the language, gore, and nudity department.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I get the appeal of a period piece approach and wouldn't mind seeing it tackled in a similar way to Fleming with Dominic Cooper was handled. However, the argument against a period piece is that Bond has, is and always will be a contemporary character. It's like wanting to see a spider-nan movie or tv series set in the backdrop of the 60s.
    For all intents and purposes a period piece Bond is merely fan service. Additionally, there's so much material to be mined from the source novels that is yet to and can still be adapted to include into the movies and it would be almost like a wasted opportunity to have some of the truly great and interesting moments in the novels realised in a one off special period piece series.
    Again, I see the appeal of a period piece approach and I wouldn't mind seeing one, as the spy world of that era, particularly when it comes to Bond is far more intriguing and has a more elegant flair about it but for me personally, for now at least, I'd rather all focus be spent on getting on with these movies and putting the best product out as possible.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm sure if it went through HBO or Showtime, then we would get more far more in the language, gore, and nudity department.

Not necessarily. I think that any outlet that managed to win the bidding for any kind of Bond series would be more than willing to work with EON regarding what is/isn't acceptable in those departments.

Still, I would think that such a project would be something that should push the boundaries in some of those areas more than the film franchise often does, although it obviously shouldn't go too far like other series on the premium networks often do just for the sake of it.

I feel like if we are getting an HBO/Showtime Bond "film," of sorts, then I want it to be seen as an R-rating, just so we have an idea of what it would look like. That's giving them the ability to try it out without having to ruin their box office results because of it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I feel like if we are getting an HBO/Showtime Bond "film," of sorts, then I want it to be seen as an R-rating, just so we have an idea of what it would look like. That's giving them the ability to try it out without having to ruin their box office results because of it.

That's what I would prefer as well. I could also see them making a limited run series out of it, maybe choosing to adapt some of Fleming's novels faithfully to the screen or doing something similar to Hannibal or Penny Dreadful and taking material and characters from Fleming and blending them into a completely different story arc.

Regardless of how it was done, I think they'd need to push the envelope a bit more than the film franchise does. It would definitely be something in which they should feel free to experiment with the character and the way they tell stories, which they've proven more than reluctant to do with the film franchise.
    @dalton, exactly. Given the chance to do a miniseries/separate television film out of it - and especially if it's on a channel like HBO or Showtime - then I want them to go as far as possible and give us an R-rated Bond. Let us see what we'll never end up seeing in theaters.