The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

15758596163

Comments

  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Posts: 871
    Yes- I would argue the best examples of intersecting literary/Fleming Bond, cinema Bond, action hero, and spy thriller are CR and TLD.
  • Yes- I would argue the best examples of intersecting literary/Fleming Bond, cinema Bond, action hero, and spy thriller are CR and TLD.

    From Russia with Love was also good in that regard.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e il momento che verrà
    Posts: 6,426
    .

    LTK is an 80s american cop show that should have headed straight to tv. .

    I disagree, LTK may not have had the budget that his predecessors had, but it had an excellent plot, a great three-dimensional performance from Tim and phenomenal stunts. It’s one of the best in the series and way ahead of its time.

    I’d also argue that it’s a bit simplistic to call it a cop show, just because it features a Latin American drug cartel. Basically that’s where the similarity ends. You might as well say that YOLT is a poor man’s Kurosawa film because it is also set in Japan.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 784
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    .

    LTK is an 80s american cop show that should have headed straight to tv. .

    I disagree, LTK may not have had the budget that his predecessors had, but it had an excellent plot, a great three-dimensional performance from Tim and phenomenal stunts. It’s one of the best in the series and way ahead of its time.

    I’d also argue that it’s a bit simplistic to call it a cop show, just because it features a Latin American drug cartel. Basically that’s where the similarity ends. You might as well say that YOLT is a poor man’s Kurosawa film because it is also set in Japan.

    And that LALD was a blaxploitation ripoff. And you would still be correct on all accounts.
  • Posts: 2,800
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I’d also argue that it’s a bit simplistic to call it a cop show, just because it features a Latin American drug cartel. Basically that’s where the similarity ends.

    Agreed. Part of the film takes place in Florida and the bad guy is a drug dealer. On that very superficial basis the film has been regularly derided as a Miami Vice rip-off, disregarding everything else about the movie. I can understand if people criticize the film for its cinematography and feel, since it was made in Mexico under trying conditions and with budget limitations. But it feels less derivative than many other of the Bond films that have hopped onto trends.

  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Posts: 247
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    .

    LTK is an 80s american cop show that should have headed straight to tv. .

    I disagree, LTK may not have had the budget that his predecessors had, but it had an excellent plot, a great three-dimensional performance from Tim and phenomenal stunts. It’s one of the best in the series and way ahead of its time.

    I’d also argue that it’s a bit simplistic to call it a cop show, just because it features a Latin American drug cartel. Basically that’s where the similarity ends. You might as well say that YOLT is a poor man’s Kurosawa film because it is also set in Japan.

    Anyone who calls LTK "OnE LoNg MiAmI vIcE ePiSoDe" is deluding themselves 😉
  • Posts: 1,564
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    .

    LTK is an 80s american cop show that should have headed straight to tv. .

    I disagree, LTK may not have had the budget that his predecessors had, but it had an excellent plot, a great three-dimensional performance from Tim and phenomenal stunts. It’s one of the best in the series and way ahead of its time.

    I’d also argue that it’s a bit simplistic to call it a cop show, just because it features a Latin American drug cartel. Basically that’s where the similarity ends. You might as well say that YOLT is a poor man’s Kurosawa film because it is also set in Japan.

    To be fair, I sort of get why some people have that criticism of LTK. I really like a lot of it, but the direction can be a bit... well, questionable at times. The weird slow motion run with Felix and the DEA agents with a confused looking Bond is an example - even for the time it probably would have been cheesy and inadvertently funny. It's the sort of thing that really gives off a 'straight to television' vibe. A lot of the cinematography in general gives that impression. There's also the strange 'angel' moment just before Dario's death that's been discussed on these forums in the past.
  • Posts: 1,525
    if they can make animated Batman '66 films then they can make an animated Dalton Bond imo
  • Posts: 1,525
    TLD 35 today , thanks to Tim and Maryam for this great movie
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Posts: 3,004
    I was lucky enough to see it at the Prince Charles on Monday night and it was so good on the big screen. Some nice laughs from the audience, especially when Q's hapless assistant got eaten by the sofa, and a little topical chuckling at the line about Russia's gas pipeline to the west.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Posts: 3,004
    A chance to see Tim on the big screen? Heck yeah look at that cast.

    Mary, Queen of Scots
  • Posts: 1,525
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to see it at the Prince Charles on Monday night and it was so good on the big screen. Some nice laughs from the audience, especially when Q's hapless assistant got eaten by the sofa, and a little topical chuckling at the line about Russia's gas pipeline to the west.

    lmao , cool
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 3,344
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 15,215
    MaxCasino wrote: »

    Looking good!
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Posts: 736
    He does look good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 12,765
    I'm very much hoping that photo is recent, and in London as the backdrop sort of suggests. Of all of the Bonds he feels the most likely to make an appearance at the Sound of 007 event next week :)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Posts: 2,185
    I'm guessing George won't make it...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 12,765
    :))
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited September 2022 Posts: 262
    Two are gone, one wants to move on, one doesn't give a s**t, and one's been cancelled. Come on Tim, it's your time to shine!
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Posts: 531
    Two are gone, one wants to move on, one doesn't give a s**t, and one's been cancelled. Come on Tim, it's your time to shine!
    I want a Dalton-Brosnan team up.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,470
    Two are gone, one wants to move on, one doesn't give a s**t, and one's been cancelled. Come on Tim, it's your time to shine!
    I want a Dalton-Brosnan team up.

    James Bond: No Way Home
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e il momento che verrà
    Posts: 6,426
    Glad to see Dalton in such good form. Forza Tim!!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2022 Posts: 5,334
    Dalton is a class act all the way. When you see someone with as long-lived a career as he's had, odds are that he's a good person to work with...

    Both of his films were good-to-great. And Craig isn't imaginable without Dalton paving the way.

    Eon and the series owe Dalton a debt.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 12,765
    I'm fairly sure they paid him! :)
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 5,483
    I've read in Doctor Who Magazine that Timothy Dalton will appear in the newest series of The Crown as Princess Margaret's former lover, Group Captain Peter Townsend.

    https://www.theroyalobserver.com/p/timothy-dalton-joins-cast-the-crown-as-princess-margaret-lover
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Posts: 3,004
    I had the very great pleasure of seeing TLD at the BFI last night, with an introduction by Maryam d'Abo and Art Malik. They were both delightful speakers, and full of praise for Tim.

    Art Malik:
    A real professional. Like playing tennis with someone who’s won Wimbledon: he raises your game.
    A Bond that has a heart and feels pain and all the rest of those things.

    Maryam d'Abo
    He brought a sort of gravitas to the part.
    Timothy raised the bar for all of us.

    Art Malik also took the Taliban thing on the chin and claimed that Osama bin Laden had copied him :)

    Loads of applause at the start and finish of the film, and when Maryam and Art appeared in the credits.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 38,745
    This is exciting: Dalton has joined Taylor Sheridan's Yellowstone spin-off 1923:

    https://deadline.com/2022/10/1923-timothy-dalton-taylor-sheridan-yellowstone-prequel-1235127981/
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Posts: 736
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    This is exciting: Dalton has joined Taylor Sheridan's Yellowstone spin-off 1923:

    https://deadline.com/2022/10/1923-timothy-dalton-taylor-sheridan-yellowstone-prequel-1235127981/

    Nice. Always feels good to see a Bond actor get new material to work with.
  • Posts: 1,361
    So, with 1923, Harrison Ford has now worked with my top 3 Bonds, Connery, Craig and now Dalton. The man has taste.
Sign In or Register to comment.