What direction would YOU have gone?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I actually didn't mind most of the plot elements for QOS. But what I would have expanded upon was the idea that the CIA were after Bond, barely any time was put to that idea. I would also give Greene some more screen time, possibly a scene where he answers to his Quantum superiors just before the hotel finale. Also a couple more scenes dedicated to explaining the water plot a bit more.

As a bare bones picture, there's actually not a lot wrong with Quantum. It has a lot of good ideas and moments, but they just needed to be expanded upon. When I watch it, it feels like I'm watching an Editor's rough cut and I'm just waiting for the Director to step in and truly make it a movie.
  • I actually didn't mind most of the plot elements for QOS. But what I would have expanded upon was the idea that the CIA were after Bond, barely any time was put to that idea. I would also give Greene some more screen time, possibly a scene where he answers to his Quantum superiors just before the hotel finale. Also a couple more scenes dedicated to explaining the water plot a bit more.

As a bare bones picture, there's actually not a lot wrong with Quantum. It has a lot of good ideas and moments, but they just needed to be expanded upon. When I watch it, it feels like I'm watching an Editor's rough cut and I'm just waiting for the Director to step in and truly make it a movie.

Well said. I think what a lot of the posts show is that the movies need tweaking more than anything. I can see how a lot of people say that there's no such thing as a bad Bond film, just ones that are better than others.

Regarding QoS, I always joke that it's the one film that I would like to see a NON-director's cut of...

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2012 Posts: 5,983
    I'd bet good money that they first came up with the CGI wave as an escape plan in Iceland, then put the surfing in the PTS sequence to show: "Yes, Bond can surf!"

Get rid of both surfing scenes.
    I think changing the cinematography, dialogue, and the settings alone would make a much better movie. Also, recast the entire thing, save Brosnan, Cleese, and Dench.

Something I appreciate about older Bond movies is their ability to remain timeless. The Living Daylights and OHMSS are prime examples. I'd add TSWLM to that as well. Sure the movies were shot throughout the sixties, seventies, and eighties, but they're relatable through today's society. Also, they feature a very modern feel. OHMSS's dialogue could be used in a movie from 2012, and there would be little, to no difference. Die Another Day, however, is full of cliches from 2002, and before. The script was good (enough) for the time, but even after 10 years it's pretty dire. To get an idea of how the whole movie will age, look at the video game sequence in Never Say Never Again. Yikes.

Something that always bugged me about DAD was the line, "saved by the bell". Obviously, that was a reference to the TV-show, Saved By The Bell. Now, when Bond was being cast for The Living Daylights, Cubby Broccoli said that he didn't want the Bond to be something that you could see on a weekly basis, for free, from your living room. I'm sure you all know this.

The idea of DAD having a reference to a TV show, a blatant reference, just seems cheap. Future Bond generations won't even understand the reference, and one's that do definitely shouldn't accept it.

And that's just one small example.

I can't imagine what Mr. Ian Fleming himself would say if he saw Die Another Day. I guess you could say, Lee Tamahori wouldn't live to die another day.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 660
    the entire DAD plot need to changed........whoever decide to rip off DAF plot their similiarties with unrealistic laser plot should be fired from Bond forever......
    I don't know if it's my worst Bond, but it would have to be bottom three at least (Die Another Day)

what I would amend -

Madonna GONE , i.e. no cameo, no piece of shit theme song, nothing..

Surfing waves and dumb sequences... GONE

Halle Berry, wouldn't have even got through the front door.. GONE

Have Rosamund Pike as the good girl, let her live

Stupid Palace of Ice and melting sequence ... GONE, EVAPORATED, A PUDDLE OF STUPIDITY

Tamahori couldn't direct traffic ... GONE

all the stupid DNA transplant and new identity backdrop... GONE

One of the guys from Reservoir Dogs in James Bond ... GONE

Pierce Brosnan back again after what should of been a perfect time to leave After The World Is Not Enough.. GONE

Too many needless references to past James Bond movies.. GONE

An Invisible Car ...... GONE, NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN

I can't think of anything else

Going to bed, Goodnight

8-|

The surfing in the PTS really bothers me. It's not Bondian, and it's not stealthy. An underwater approach would have made a lot more sense.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,894
    echo wrote:

The surfing in the PTS really bothers me. It's not Bondian, and it's not stealthy. An underwater approach would have made a lot more sense.

There is a partial underwater approach in the storyboards. But I agree, they should have used that.
    echo wrote:

Define "Bondian" as regards to the surfing. I know Bond doesn't surf, but in this instance, it makes sense to me. Korea's position means its shoreline is constantly rough in terms of waves, so surfing ashore would be the last thing any North Korean would expect, wouldn't it?

Bond is well known to have a passion for watersports, is it that much of a stretch for him to surf?
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,370

Something that always bugged me about DAD was the line, "saved by the bell". Obviously, that was a reference to the TV-show, Saved By The Bell. Now, when Bond was being cast for The Living Daylights, Cubby Broccoli said that he didn't want the Bond to be something that you could see on a weekly basis, for free, from your living room. I'm sure you all know this.

The idea of DAD having a reference to a TV show, a blatant reference, just seems cheap. Future Bond generations won't even understand the reference, and one's that do definitely shouldn't accept it.

Actually, "saved by the bell" is a very common saying that I would hear (and use) often long before the TV show came along. It has been used in print for over a hundred years (some people believe it may have been around for almost 300). The TV show was named after this famous and common expression.

At least it *was* a very common saying - do people not use it anymore? We used to say it in the 70s when I was a kid all the time, especially at school (when the school bell rang to announce recess or the end of the day).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I still hear it and even used "saved by the bell" earlier in the year.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2012 Posts: 4,447
    I think changing the cinematography, dialogue, and the settings alone would make a much better movie. Also, recast the entire thing, save Brosnan, Cleese, and Dench.

And Samantha Bond (and Colin Salmon). There parts be very under snowd in the movie. Whyle Colin Salmon have enough screentime, the scene is a start of scene who in the first place not should have been in the movie. Bond must get on that airplane and take Jinx with him.

Why he not go alone and we see extra scene M send Bond a way whyle Falco talk with Jinx. Then she meet Bond when jump on the airplane or he spotted Jinx sneaking around. The best thing have been Jinx sneaking around and Graves spot and let kill her and ask for a search to Bond. What mean the airplane never going to be in the air with 007 on board. Graves to escape with the suitecase in the helicopter with his Hechman, but Bond sobatage the Helicopter and suitecase.

Rick Yune is not realy the biggest problem it is the chacter development. Another actor for Falco that is atleast a change i have liked a lot. Some problems with the movie be created after the movie, if the have contuned with the idea Jinx died and Falco turn in to the villian in Bond 21 DAD already have look better. A fift Brosnan Bond movie with a new story too. QOS will be loved much more now Skyfall is made. Spider-Man 3 be a bigger disapointed because i already know there not make a Spider-Man 4 as sequel.

ReneMathis wrote:
    Whilst DAD needs a pretty big overhaul I think that just a bit more flesh on the action bones would have made QoS a damn good movie. Don't try to be Bourne, just be Bond and it'd have been a rip snorter.

Be careful with those Bourne comments - you're likely to get ripped to shreads around here!

I agree actually. I really enjoyed QoS and IMO it was the best Bond since TLD, but had there been some slightly less frenetic editing and a fleshed out narrative it could have been a classic.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 5,983
    echo wrote:

Define "Bondian" as regards to the surfing. I know Bond doesn't surf, but in this instance, it makes sense to me. Korea's position means its shoreline is constantly rough in terms of waves, so surfing ashore would be the last thing any North Korean would expect, wouldn't it?

Bond is well known to have a passion for watersports, is it that much of a stretch for him to surf?

It seems too adolescent, hippie-like, and frankly, American/Australian for Bond. I'd feel the same way if Bond snowboarded, although we kind of got that (albeit improvised) in AVTAK.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    But Snowboarding is some refined and styled thing, If compared to surf.
    James Bond should not be seen on a surfboard, snowboard, hoverboard etc

It's just not done
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die

It's just not done

He's been already in a snowboard, you know that. TSWLM and TWINE are examples.
    The Spy that Loved Me was on skis not a snowboard - there is quite a difference

TWINE also was on Skis if I remember, only Die Another Day had a snowboard sequence, oh and View to a Kill, but haven't seen that for a while. But above all else, it really isn't appropriate for Bond, that's just how I feel about it, even though it's been done on one or two occasions. I think if tastefully done like George in OHMSS, then it can work, but sometimes I can't get past the silliness of Moore in Siberia, Brosnan in Iceland etc, those were silly sequences
    X3MSonicX wrote:

It's just not done

He's been already in a snowboard, you know that. TSWLM and TWINE are examples.

Snowboarding didn't exist in 1977.

It's just not done

Utterly agree. Bond doesn't need to adopt every latest trendy extreme sport (like kite surfing). Where there is a genuine military application then it is justified. I could see Bond doing a long-distance paraglide perhaps to reach an inaccessible enemy installation.
    Getafix wrote:

It's just not done

Utterly agree. Bond doesn't need to adopt every latest trendy extreme sport (like kite surfing). Where there is a genuine military application then it is justified. I could see Bond doing a long-distance paraglide perhaps to reach an inaccessible enemy installation.

Would surfing ashore in the PTS of DAD not be a genuine military application? I hate the Iceland surfing scene, with a passion, but the surfing in the PTS makes sense to me.

Agreed about the paragliding though, I always liked the paragliding scene from LALD.
    I find the most offensive aspect of DAD the overreliance on CGI and then the bargain-basement variety of it was EON unworthy. They could have lost the finale in Korea for me as well as the sinking house in CR both were too much and added too little.
    SaintMark wrote:
    I find the most offensive aspect of DAD the overreliance on CGI and then the bargain-basement variety of it was EON unworthy. They could have lost the finale in Korea for me as well as the sinking house in CR both were too much and added too little.

EON has a sometimes dodgy track record on special effects though, doesn't it? Is it TB or YOLT where the space sequences are utterly laughable?

The MR effects still stand up today.
    SaintMark wrote:

Definitely. But I'm not saying EON or Bond effects are bad - just that there have been dodgy moments in the past. May be I am thinking of DAF. Which one is it where the villain's spcaeship 'eats' the US/USSR space pods? I think it was made around the same time as Kubrick's 2001 and yet the effects look like something from Button Moon.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Definitely. But I'm not saying EON or Bond effects are bad - just that there have been dodgy moments in the past. May be I am thinking of DAF. Which one is it where the villain's spcaeship 'eats' the US/USSR space pods? I think it was made around the same time as Kubrick's 2001 and yet the effects look like something from Button Moon.
    That was YOLT.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 8,037
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

That was YOLT. But DAF's special effects budget was slashed due to Connery's enormous salary so the effects were pretty bad in that too.
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Special effects were something new then.

SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

When did 2001 come out though? Not long after YOLT I don't think.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

I'd still take those over DAD's CGI.
    :-&