The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited September 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Well his films and his performances weren't great so I think yes there is an extent to which his losing the role in 2002 or whenever it was is his fault.

I think you're over reacting though slightly. Am I really dragging his name "into the dirty"? Whatever that actually means.

Regardless of whether he's talking about Laz or Dalton (and I don't see how you can be so sure he means Lazenby) it is unbecoming when any of the actors criticise each other. It's just not a good look.

Laz nailed it IMO in OHMSS. Better performance right there in that one film than Pierce managed in any of his 4. Dalton is perhaps more debatable but I still don't think he warrants a "falling down" comment from Pierce.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Getafix wrote: »
    Well his films and his performances weren't great so I think yes there is an extent to which his losing the role in 2002 or whenever it was is his fault.

I think you're over reacting though slightly. Am I really dragging his name "into the dirty"? Whatever that actually means.

Regardless of whether he's talking about Laz or Dalton (and I don't see how you can be so sure) it is unbecoming when any of the actors criticise each other.

To you, They weren't great to you. Your opinion isn't fact so stop treating it as such. I meant Into the dirt, mud or whatever Earthly element you're into. I made a typo. A common error. I'm only human.

I'm sure because of the order he mentioned the Bonds. "I saw Connery do it, Some guy who fell, I saw Moore do it. Ect. It's couldn't be more obvious it was Lazenby. They exchanged some unkind words to eachother in the late 90's. Was it unbecoming of Moore criticizing Craig's Bond films of being too violent, or Dalton criticizing Moore's movies for being too pastiche? Or do you just give them a free pass because you just don't like Brosnan? It's all been documented.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Is there a case file on me or something?

Anyway I don't dislike Brosnan. I'm just not keen on his Bond performance. Reckon he could have done a lot better.

Keep on shifting that goal post. It's only been going on for nearly a decade.
    Well tbh it feels like the goal post has shifted to where I've been standing. Took a while but gotta say the consensus seems to have shifted quite a bit.
    I'm sure it has. =))
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2019 Posts: 6,726
    Audiences accepted Brosnan in the role of James Bond, and given their opinion is what counts, there is no real reason to think he was fired because of the quality of his performances. Your personal and individual opinion of his acting in the role (and for that matter, mine, or anyone else's) is absolutely irrelevant on this matter. Don't confuse your opinion with the general opinion.
    I think we all recognise that pretty much everything on here is opinion.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom

Regardless of whether he's talking about Laz or Dalton (and I don't see how you can be so sure he means Lazenby) it is unbecoming when any of the actors criticise each other. It's just not a good look.

Laz nailed it IMO in OHMSS. Better performance right there in that one film than Pierce managed in any of his 4. Dalton is perhaps more debatable but I still don't think he warrants a "falling down" comment from Pierce.

Not sure about Laz being better. Also, Laz has made several crappy comments about Brosnan in the past, so he is probably just getting a shot back in
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Roadphill wrote: »

Not sure about Laz being better. Also, Laz has made several crappy comments about Brosnan in the past, so he is probably just getting a shot back in

It started with Brosnan saying OHMSS was the one Bond film he would remake, as it wasn t very good. Here is a thread dedicated to the whole drama:
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/8651/george-lazenby-and-pierce-brosnans-war-of-words#latest

Not everything is an opinion. "This actor is bad" is an opinion. "John Smith thinks this actor is bad" is a fact that can be true or false. You said:
    The producers were the ones who fired Brosnan in 2002 or whenever, so if he lost the role because his performances weren't good, it must have been because the producers held that opinion, or audiences did. But what reason do you have to think that was the case?

Not to be insistent, but it makes no sense.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    edited September 2019 Posts: 544
    mattjoes wrote: »

Not everything is an opinion. "This actor is bad" is an opinion. "John Smith thinks this actor is bad" is a fact that can be true or false. You said:
    The producers were the ones who fired Brosnan in 2002 or whenever, so if he lost the role because his performances weren't good, it must have been because the producers held that opinion, or audiences did. But what reason do you have to think that was the case?

Not to be insistent, but it makes no sense.

Brosnan being asked not to return was due to a change of winds more than after a box office flop. In fact, DAD has been a tremendous success and back in 2003 it looked like EON wanted Brosnan to return and MGM expected to do another film in the style of DAD. The Jinx spin-off was planed and Falco's return. Their change of minds began when they got the rights of CR and saw that franchises were beginning to be rebooted (Batman with Nolan, for example), so they felt they had the perfect excuse to reboot Bond with an adaptation of the first Fleming novel, which would imply the casting of a new actor.

I explain this more thoroughly in my book.
    https://millenniumbond007.wixsite.com/millenniumbond
  • @Getafix Haven't seen the interview but can guarantee he will 100% be talking about Lazenby. He has nothing but respect for Dalton. I remember reading about the GE press conference and he apparently said something about admiring what Dalton had done, peeling back the layers, and wanted to continue that. He also said in the James Bond unmasked book that Dalton played it "right down the f***ing line".

Lazenby on the other hand he's had beef with in the past. And really whenever anyone is talking about a bad James Bond I think you can assume they're on about Lazenby. He's the more generally forgotten actor who only did one.

He lost the role because he was used as a scapegoat for the issues of DAD (easier to sell a change in direction with a clean break) after all his suggestions for the direction they should be going in over the years seemed to be ignored (he didn't have the clout with BB that Craig does, he was Cubby's choice). I know you don't like him but he was very popular at the time, lots of "best since Connery" comments, and his films were successful. It isn't fair to say he wasn't good enough.
  • @Getafix Haven't seen the interview but can guarantee he will 100% be talking about Lazenby. He has nothing but respect for Dalton. I remember reading about the GE press conference and he apparently said something about admiring what Dalton had done, peeling back the layers, and wanted to continue that. He also said in the James Bond unmasked book that Dalton played it "right down the f***ing line".

Lazenby on the other hand he's had beef with in the past. And really whenever anyone is talking about a bad James Bond I think you can assume they're on about Lazenby. He's the more generally forgotten actor who only did one.

He lost the role because he was used as a scapegoat for the issues of DAD (easier to sell a change in direction with a clean break) after all his suggestions for the direction they should be going in over the years seemed to be ignored (he didn't have the clout with BB that Craig does, he was Cubby's choice). I know you don't like him but he was very popular at the time, lots of "best since Connery" comments, and his films were successful. It isn't fair to say he wasn't good enough.
    @Getafix Haven't seen the interview but can guarantee he will 100% be talking about Lazenby. He has nothing but respect for Dalton. I remember reading about the GE press conference and he apparently said something about admiring what Dalton had done, peeling back the layers, and wanted to continue that. He also said in the James Bond unmasked book that Dalton played it "right down the f***ing line".

But why post in a thread of someone he does not like, I will never go to Daniel Craig thread to put dirty on him, I would do that on other threads, but in the end is a waste of time.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    This looks like a thread for me! Love all the Brosnan films - Roger was my Bond growing up, and whilst I really like TLD, LTK didn’t appeal to me at all, and with the protracted break after LTK I drifted away from Bond into other things. It was Brosnan getting the role that really got me excited again, mainly due to having watched and enjoyed the Remington Steele series. I always felt Brosnan had a little bit of everything (the suave looks, sophistication, ability to deliver humour, great with action, gadgets, has an edge when needed) that I wanted from Bond.

I’ll enjoy browsing through this thread when I have time.
    I can't understand why many view Brosnan not being retained in the role as a firing. I see it more as someone who fulfilled a contract and went on a picture-by-picture basis afterward. I understand he may have been strung along somewhat as Eon was restructuring its future, but it's not like he was solely to blame for the way the movies went. The public would've still flocked to them.

Agreed @BT3366. I particularly think all the Brosnan films are underappreciated masterpieces, however I think in the end a film is more than the actor. FRWL and DAF both had Sean Connery (the "best Bond ever"), yet one is extremely loved and the other usually criticized. NSNA also proved this – they played the Connery trump card, but you can't beat the level of production of an EON film.

Brosnan wasn't fired because he failed. He was asked not to return because they wanted a change. Imagine if after QOS they decided to go down the Roger Moore type of film for B23, B24 and B25 and they asked Craig not to return and went for, let's say, Cavill. That would mean Craig was "fired" because he "failed"? Nope. While researching for my book I looked back on the news archive of this very site, late 2002 and all 2003 and 2004. For a long while they seemed to make B21 another DAD with Falco and (maybe) Jinx coming back.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Questions in order:

- The film you are the most proud of?
    - The film you can never stop watching?
    - A film you know every famous quotes?
    - Your very first film?
    - The last film you saw?
    - The film that makes you die from laughter?
    - The film that makes you cry like a baby?
    - The best spy film?
    - The best love story?
    - A sequel you would like to see?
    The sequel to TTCA had Charlize Theron?!? Damn!
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007 it’s good to see that Pierce is still proud of GE and his Bond days.
    @Getafix Haven't seen the interview but can guarantee he will 100% be talking about Lazenby. He has nothing but respect for Dalton. I remember reading about the GE press conference and he apparently said something about admiring what Dalton had done, peeling back the layers, and wanted to continue that. He also said in the James Bond unmasked book that Dalton played it "right down the f***ing line".

I'd missed or forgotten Brozza had a beef with Laz. Wonder who started it. If Pierce said OHMSS was rubbish then he had it coming tbh. Plus he's totally wrong, of course.
    I once read that after watching GoldenEye Lazenby said: "I was better than him". But this came from a Spanish Bond book who probably echoed tabloid rumors, so I don't know if that actually happened.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837

I'd missed or forgotten Brozza had a beef with Laz. Wonder who started it. If Pierce said OHMSS was rubbish then he had it coming tbh. Plus he's totally wrong, of course.

He never said OHMSS was rubbish. What he apparently said was that if he could remake one Bond film he'd remake that one, because he thought the script/story was great but it was "just sad" that it starred Lazenby (should note that I can't actually find a source for this, it's just something @DCisared mentioned when he started the thread about their beef). He also said something about not wanting to be "the next George Lazenby" around that time (that bit I think is on record, I've heard that before). Then GE came out and Lazenby said something about Brosnan's Bond being a wimp compared to his and how "Bond shouldn't be nice" and it all kicked off from there.

So Brosnan did start it to be fair and it was a bit of an undignified move. But to be honest as much as I like Lazenby (I've said before that he's the closest to Fleming's Bond and could have been the best with time), I think his comments prove that his performance in OHMSS was entirely down to Hunt. The best thing about Lazenby is that he showed Bond's vulnerability and human side in a way Connery's Bond never did. He wasn't just a hard bastard. He had a real romantic side with Tracey and looked genuinely scared for his life in some of the action scenes. But him saying that Brosnan's Bond was too girly and his Bond was harder just makes me think that none of that was really down to him. There's a myth about Fleming's Bond being this brutal heartless cold blooded killer because that's how Connery played it, but if you read the books he's actually a much more human and romantic character than that.

And, probably sacrelige on here, but I genuinely think Brosnan would have been better in OHMSS too. I know that a lot of people will think no, he would have overacted and ruined that final scene. But Brosnan is a real directors actor imo. He's very restrained in GE and I think that's down to Campbell, who got another brilliant performance out of him in The Foreigner. Hunt would have reigned in his more OTT character actor tendancies (aren't there stories about him being a very strict director?) and he would have smashed that final scene. He knows grief like that.

Wouldn't have liked to have seen it actually remade in his era though. Imagine Spotiswood or Tamahori directing it. Would have been a complete mess and Brosnan wouldn't have been a patch on Lazenby. But if you put him in the same film Lazenby got, with Hunt directing, then yeah. I think he'd have done a better job.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,281
    He could still play an older Bond looking like that (without the beard of course)!
    He could still play an older Bond looking like that (without the beard of course)!
    Yes he definitely could! Maybe even with the beard! 😂 In my fantasy Bond world, I’d be dragging Pierce back for one final Bond after Daniel hangs up the tux!

Yes he definitely could! Maybe even with the beard! 😂 In my fantasy Bond world, I’d be dragging Pierce back for one final Bond after Daniel hangs up the tux!

I'd totally be on board with that!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Well we know it’s not going to happen but it would be great as a one-off to bridge the transition from Craig to his successor.
    Also, Judy Dench could return because Brosnan’s M was not Craig’s M.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,281
    talos7 wrote: »

Well we know it’s not going to happen but it would be great as a one-off to bridge the transition from Craig to his successor.
    Also, Judy Dench could return because Brosnan’s M was not Craig’s M.

Yes, it's not going to happen, but it's a bit of fun these what-ifs.

Good point re. Judy Dench!
    Just a couple of TND-related videos I did. The first one is a trailer, the second one isn't quite one, but it's something I felt compelled to do.