What's each OO7 actor's worst line?

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @00Beast, topics have just been going completely off topic or focused on one single thing lately. We've had two unique topics in the past couple of days shut down, and I don't know what it is, but I feel like there is a lot of Brosnan bashing lately, as well.

And I'm not being a hypocrite; I love all of the Bonds, the Bond films, and don't hate, loathe, or find myself disgusted by any of them. Sure, some Bonds I find to be better than others, or I think Film A is better than Film B, but some users just bring up every single negative thing about this actor or that film.

I agree completely. The topic is "What's each 007 actor's worst line?" not "What are ten horrible Moore lines?" nor "What are ten horrible Brosnan lines?" nor "Why can't everyone else see that [insert name of Bond actor] is the best?"
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @echo, thank you. Glad other people do agree.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @00Beast, topics have just been going completely off topic or focused on one single thing lately. We've had two unique topics in the past couple of days shut down, and I don't know what it is, but I feel like there is a lot of Brosnan bashing lately, as well.

And I'm not being a hypocrite; I love all of the Bonds, the Bond films, and don't hate, loathe, or find myself disgusted by any of them. Sure, some Bonds I find to be better than others, or I think Film A is better than Film B, but some users just bring up every single negative thing about this actor or that film.

Can we get the above post to be post of the year? I agree 100%! It does aggrivate me when so many threads veer off topic and fall into the old Brosnan bashing related to is movies post GoldenEye (and even some members rant about GE), or maybe about how they don't like Craig as the new 007, or maybe how Moore is too comical, and even how all Bond movies need to be more in line with Fleming. I for one enjoy every single Bond movie, actor, location, villain, whatever it may be. The fact is that everyone ranks one above the other, but that doesn't crush the other with hatred. It blows my mind how people can be so selective with the Bond movies.
    @00Beast, thank you very much! Even hated upon films like MR and DAD still have parts I love to watch, and will never have a problem putting them in when I want to watch something and enjoying them. That's how it should work for all of us, I think - block out the bad, enjoy the good, and love all that is Bond.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @00Beast, thank you very much! Even hated upon films like MR and DAD still have parts I love to watch, and will never have a problem putting them in when I want to watch something and enjoying them. That's how it should work for all of us, I think - block out the bad, enjoy the good, and love all that is Bond.

Man, that last line needs to be inserted into the Bond Hall of Fame! =D> The Crease knows what's up! There may never be a more true statement in all of 007 history! I watch the movies by that very principle. When a cheesy scene comes along like Jaws and Dolly or Bond's invisible Vanquish, or some lovey-dovey junk in OHMSS, I just realize that even it has a place in the cannon, and while it may not be for my taste, I can move on and get to the better parts that I enjoy.
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Man, that last line needs to be inserted into the Bond Hall of Fame! =D> The Crease knows what's up! There may never be a more true statement in all of 007 history! I watch the movies by that very principle. When a cheesy scene comes along like Jaws and Dolly or Bond's invisible Vanquish, or some lovey-dovey junk in OHMSS, I just realize that even it has a place in the cannon, and while it may not be for my taste, I can move on and get to the better parts that I enjoy.

Thanks, brother. I really appreciate it.
    There will always be differences of opinion on any message Board, it's just not restricted to James Bond, things get said in the heat of the moment or someone says something that someone takes issue with, but 99 per cent of the time, there is no real malice intended, in that it is merely a difference of opinion, that's what makes boards like these work It would be pretty damn dull if everyone was of the same opinion, i.e every participant every day comes on and is under the impression that Moore was the best ever Bond or AVTAK was the best Bond film ever, there wouldn't be much area for debate etc, a variety of opinion is essentially what makes these places work, and these pages would be worse for it I feel with the omission of different opinions and peoples personal and various viewpoints etc
    edited June 2012 Posts: 40,513
    @Baltimore_007, that's why I said that there will always be a Bond film I like more than another, or a Bond actor I like less than another; that's what we should debate about, not "Oh, this movie is absolute trash, this actor was the worst ever, I hate him, I hate this, and that, what garbage, total waste of time, I like this and this and that and you should, too, because my opinion is pure fact."

But, I'm taking this off topic, too, so I don't want to turn into a hypocrite. Let's keep it to the thread topic, and I'll be sure to think of some soon.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 5,992
    People should tell us why they prefer one Bond to another, not accept it as fact that their Bond actor choice is the right one and that everyone else is wrong. Just not in every thread.
    @Echo

I would be great if the last movie you watched was The Omen or something

(post count)

and not sure about others, but I usually elaborate on why Dalton is a personal favorite, why I take issue sometimes with others etc, it's all differences of opinion at the end of the day with no real harm done
    Creasy47 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Thanks, brother. I really appreciate it.

Not a problem my man!
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    No one of those Brosnan's lines above were worst than "That's a good name to die for"; "I Thought Christmas only comes once a year".

Those, were Shocking. NEGATIVELY shocking.

Haha, I love those lines. Brosnan had loads of great puns IMO. What about "Especially when you are bad" in DAD. Great line, I always laugh at it a great deal.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Murdock wrote:
    Connery: One of us smells like a Tart's After shave.
    Lazenby: Hmmmm Royal Beluga, not from the Caspian.
    line.
    Well they are bad lines. However
    'One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief' is a great line
    As is 'Royal beluga, north of the Caspian'

Good try though
    The best part of Lazenby's line is that his mouth is stuffed with said beluga! Bad dubbing, lol
  • Brosnan's "What no talk, noooooooooo chit chat?" Always annoyed me.
    Also in Dr. No is it me, or does Connery deliver some of his lines pretty quickly?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Brosnan's "What no talk, noooooooooo chit chat?" Always annoyed me.
    Also in Dr. No is it me, or does Connery deliver some of his lines pretty quickly?

I always liked Brosnan's delivery of that. Showed a bit of confidence in the face of adversary, a lot like Connery did.

Some of Connery's lines in Dr.No were delivered a bit eagerly but I think the man was yet to be fully comfortable in the role.
  • Brosnan's "What no talk, noooooooooo chit chat?" Always annoyed me.

I always liked Brosnan's delivery of that. Showed a bit of confidence in the face of adversary, a lot like Connery did.

Some of Connery's lines in Dr.No were delivered a bit eagerly but I think the man was yet to be fully comfortable in the role.

I always hated Brosnan's delivery of that line...to me he seemed to be playing Remington Steele in that scene, not Bond. While I have a new appreciation for Brosnan's performance in GE (it lacked the smug smarm that IMHO marred his later performances) that scene seems very amateur to me. But that line delivery was the nadir.

For Connery I have a bit of an odd choice - it's a line delivery that you can't hear. When he tells Kerim Bey's son that he has been killed it comes off as a little melodramatic; over-acted is the best way to describe it. When I was a young Connery hero-worshipper it was hard to think of him being less than great in his performances but that scene always pulls me out of FRWL a bit now. If I have to choose a verbal line then it would have to be the bit where he looks at Tania's picture and says that the girl would have to be "mental". I can't recall the exact line but I recall that his reading of it seemed a little...fey or even "precious". Which is a pretty odd thing to say about Connery!

For Lazenby it's a no brainer: "Hmm, that's quite an inducement." to Draco's offer of a "dowry" or more accurately, bribe. It's so flat and wooden that I assume it must have been one of the first scenes that they shot.

I've not seen all of Moore's films but there are several lines that come off as cheesy to me. But that was the style they aimed for so the lines were delivered as they were intended. I think what qualifies as a bad line reading would be when he threatens Rosie Carver in LALD - I recall an interview with Tom Mankiewicz (?) who noted that Connery could threaten a female character and he would come off as bad-ass or a bit of a "bad boy" but when Moore tried to do it he just looked "nasty".

Dalton's lines were often delivered a little too theatrically but again, that was the style he was aiming for. I don't know if it would count as a line but he has a very fake sounding chuckle in LTK that surfaces a few times, such as when he back's Pam's butt into the horn button of the boat when they run out of gas. It's one of those scenes that I can't believe they didn't re-dub it, it sounded so bad.

For Craig I thought that "She's seasick" in QoS was delivered in that brusque way intentionally, much like the way that Dalton tossed his first "Bond, James Bond" aside in TLD. For him I think that the "Skewered - one sympathizes." line was delivered in a bit of a rush and mumble in CR. In fact, I had to look up the line after the fact to see what it was (the first two times I saw the film I thought he said "Skewered - unsypmathizers!" which made no sense to me.

Connery: No, just different. Like Peking Duck is different from Russian Caviar. But I love them both. (YOLT) - it was hard finding a poor Connery line.

Lazenby: This never happened to the other fellow.

Moore: (To Blofeld-like character) All right, keep your hair on! (FYEO) 3:-O

Brosnan: You burned me, and now you want my help? (DAD - could put the entire script in here) :-q

Craig: We're teachers on sabbatical and we've just won the lottery (QoS)
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Thought of one for Dalton:

(after seeing Heller impaled on the forklift) "Looks like he came to a dead end, COMMON!"

Ok:

1. Why would you say something like that under those circumances? (talk about a line being forced in)
    2. Dalton couldn't have been more unconvincing if he tried.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Brosnan's "What no talk, noooooooooo chit chat?" Always annoyed me.

For Craig I thought that "She's seasick" in QoS was delivered in that brusque way intentionally, much like the way that Dalton tossed his first "Bond, James Bond" aside in TLD. For him I think that the "Skewered - one sympathizes." line was delivered in a bit of a rush and mumble in CR. In fact, I had to look up the line after the fact to see what it was (the first two times I saw the film I thought he said "Skewered - unsypmathizers!" which made no sense to me.

Funnily enough everytime I watch that scene I always smile at that line. IMO Craig does it well. I think he's funnier in many ways in CR.

Craig's worst line? Hmm...The "it's time to get out" line always falls a bit flat for me. Also, upon watching CR again the other day something didn't seem right about the "if you were just born...wouldn't you be naked?" line

Actually, there's a line Craig says in the Ocean club at the bar just after he's seen Solage kissing Domitrios/him being rude to her. He looks over at two men sitting next to him before saying it. I've never been able to tell what it was.

I see what you mean (kind of) about the Remmington Steele-esque way of the "no...chit chat" line in GE. However having not seen a full episode of RS it doesn't really bother me that much. I quite like it actually. Bond's just being cocky under hard circumstances. It suits Brozza's light comedic style quite well IMO
    As a previous post has stated comments have been going off topic. To make a general comment about bad lines - in the series known as the 'Bond' films the tone of the actors voice is important - both Sean Connery and George Lazenby were naturally endowed with a deep manly voice, making all their dialogue viable. Tim Dalton still struggles with the age thing - he still looks and sounds five years too young for Bond ( though a good actor), Pierce Brosnan acts as though terrified of the camera and possible bad reviews and retreats into a mealy mouthed 'hush,hush 'tone of voice like a child accused of stealing candy from the sweet shop. Daniel Craig is a light voiced 'pouter' - he puckers up his lips to deliver hamlet like soliloques before bestowing a kiss on his pet dog. There you have it- best and worst lines are all the actors tone of voice.
  • Jason19 wrote:
    As a previous post has stated comments have been going off topic. To make a general comment about bad lines - in the series known as the 'Bond' films the tone of the actors voice is important - both Sean Connery and George Lazenby were naturally endowed with a deep manly voice, making all their dialogue viable. Tim Dalton still struggles with the age thing - he still looks and sounds five years too young for Bond ( though a good actor), Pierce Brosnan acts as though terrified of the camera and possible bad reviews and retreats into a mealy mouthed 'hush,hush 'tone of voice like a child accused of stealing candy from the sweet shop. Daniel Craig is a light voiced 'pouter' - he puckers up his lips to deliver hamlet like soliloques before bestowing a kiss on his pet dog. There you have it- best and worst lines are all the actors tone of voice.

I would strongly disagree with that. Tempo, inflection, which words are stressed - these all play a part in whether a line is delivered well or not. If you're just going in terms of voice then Brosnan would never have delivered a good line because his voice was, to quote an acting teacher, "thin and reedy". Yet he delivered some lines exceptionally well. The flip side is that Lazenby, who had some really well-done scenes in OHMSS also delivered a few lines in a flat monotone which robbed the lines of their coolness - or even worse, their intended meaning!

A good actor can invoke tremendous meaning with a single word when it's delivered well - Craig's way of saying "No." when M says that personal feelings don't seem to be a problem for him (when overlooking Solange's body in CR) is a fantastic example of this. And no matter how great an actor's voice is, even a brilliantly written line will sound bad if delivered without conviction or the proper manner - something that both Connery (my fave) and Lazenby were guilty of.
    Lazenby - 'It's.. Hilly :-< (damn SILLY would of been more appropriate)

Connery - 'Worse than listening to the beatles without ear muffs' or 'I was just walking my pet rat and seemed to have lost my way'

Moore - 'What's for dinner, whiskas?' or 'having trouble keeping it up Q' or 'Just keeping the British end up Sir'

Dalton - 'Plenty of time for someone to make a (what was it), 'strawberry trifle' out of him' or 'whoever it was must have scared the living daylights out of them'

Brosnan - 'You meant nothing to me, one last screw' or 'Its time...for...a media break'

Craig - 'Ow' or 'every penny of it' or 'you want me to be half hit man and half monk' or 'you know what I can do with my little finger'

(of course there aren't the (absolute) worst of each Bond, but some decent examples of each respective actor I thought)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Also, upon watching CR again the other day something didn't seem right about the "if you were just born...wouldn't you be naked?" line

As much as I love Craig and CR, that line makes me cringe every time.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    Actually, there's a line Craig says in the Ocean club at the bar just after he's seen Solage kissing Domitrios/him being rude to her. He looks over at two men sitting next to him before saying it. I've never been able to tell what it was.

If you are talking about the moment he leaves to walk over to the poker table, those two guys behind him are the Germans whose care he wrecked earlier, so they look at him a bit angry/suprised, and then he says 'Guttenavond' (or however you spell it) which means 'good evening' in German

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It's "Gutten Abend". Two words.
    'Guttenavond' : - )

Gute Nacht is more Good Night, where Guten Abend is more an evening expression, literally, 'good evening'

Point being, I know the scene in CR, and until now I never understood what Craig was muttering about, he says a few indistinct words and walks off, this is a bit of a help, and how did Bond know the two guys were even german, did they mention this at any point, they could of been Danish or Austrian or practically anywhere from such a vicinity, but I think we'll let it lie

Also when Craig has White in the trunk of his car at the start of QOS - 'It's time to get out now', maybe something didn't feel right about it

I will always insist the very worst I can remember was with Green and all the 'little finger' talk, maybe it just sounded silly, also someone mentioned the 'wouldn't you be naked' line, also, Yes, I think we can include that

Hard Bond....Silly lines......
    In response to 'thelordflasheart' - a very well written and thought-out post ,lord. I'm almost tempted to agree.(almost)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    If this thread goes on much longer we will have the entire scripts of all the films re-produced as bad lines. ;)
    You mean like Die Another Day? :D