BLUE-RAY RELEASES - ARE THEY A MONEY MAKING CON?

2»

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That's why if I were you, I'd wait a couple more years and if you really wanted to make the upgrade, get a 4K TV when it's cheap and go from there. Regardless, you're paying money with any upgrade you do, but if the quality disparity doesn't bother you in the slightest, then I'd definitely continue to buy DVD's. One consistent collection for cheap, with no upgrade.

I'd like to think the death of DVD's is still a long, long way off.

Although the longer DVD's are around the worse Blu ray situation will get, I personally think they should stop making DVD players.

Blu ray players can play the DVD's and better, over here in the UK they still are releasing TV and films just on DVD and not bothering with BR.

Why it's not a case of just Blu ray players being manufactured is beyond me.

Maybe not the same in other countries that DVD is still dominant as it is in the UK but I think it's time to start phasing this format out.

Personally the difference is night and day to me and has been since 2009 when I have owned a Blu ray player.

Agreed some upgrades are not that noticeable but some certainly are.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    It irritates me when they include the DVD with the blu ray, I'm guessing so they can charge more. What do I need the dvd for if I'm buying the blu ray?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    pachazo wrote: »
    It irritates me when they include the DVD with the blu ray, I'm guessing so they can charge more. What do I need the dvd for if I'm buying the blu ray?

That annoys me, as well, though I wouldn't care at all if they simply offered a blu-ray only version for a few dollars less. If the digital copy is always free in a blu-ray, then there's definitely no need to include a lesser-quality DVD copy.
    Dennison wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »
    But how many people have the means to afford/accommodate such a set-up? It would be fun to have, I just don't have a convenient space to enjoy something of the sort even if it were affordable.

And considering some people are content to watch things on their tablets, computers and cell phones, I question if that will go over well.

They don't have to have such a setup. If people are content in watching on tablets etc. then that's fine for them - I don't see what your point is.

My point is it seems there will always be upgrades, but more people are choosing to watch things on devices that are smaller and there seems less overall demand to have the bigger and better. That means less physical media as we've already seen.

And if as you claim needing a 120 inch screen and projector for what may only be a somewhat noticeable upgrade. the price will be above what many are willing to pay. Bigger screen televisions were big business and I don't think anybody is rushing out to upgrade these days, so it may only end up a niche product.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,347
    I have a 4K TV and an increasing amount of 4K content we are only scratching the surface with regards to picture quality, though we are edging closer to cinema level quality obviously our TV's are getting much bigger. It's the classic movies shot with film that really highlight how good UHD/4K can be, though anything shot with digital 1080p cameras will never improve beyond that an example being the Star Wars prequels.

Watch Lawerence of Arabia in 4K then you realise how good higher quality really is.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Been in the process of upgrading all my favorites to blu ray. The difference really is a big step up from DVD (not as big as VHS to DVD, but big nonetheless). I'm not sure 4K is coming at the right time though. People have just upgraded their collections to blu ray, which looks fantastic as is, and 4K is significantly more expensive than blu ray.

You just have to know where to look. Some of those TV's are in the few thousand range, but you can find a proper 4K TV for $500-700.

Oh I mean the discs themselves generally cost at least twice as much as blu rays, and that would be annoying to have to start replacing everything all over again. So I think I'll skip over 4K until whatever is next. Blu ray satisfies me for now.
    4K still isn't close to being as big as blu-ray is, so I'm sure 8K is years and years off. Won't it eventually get to a point where it can't possibly look any better?

I plan on getting a 4K TV soon, but I'm still lost on what brand/series I want to go with.

8K is here now in Japan.
    I still primarily buy DVDs. I mean, what's the point of upgrading all my DVDs to BR, when I am only going to have to do it all over again, when the replacement for BR arrives? Then the replacement for that, and that, and that etc... I have a few BRs (dual format releases), but I will stick to DVDs until they out right stop being made.

DVD comes no where close to capturing the film-like nature of a film like Blu Ray does. DVD isn't even 24fps.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I still primarily buy DVDs. I mean, what's the point of upgrading all my DVDs to BR, when I am only going to have to do it all over again, when the replacement for BR arrives? Then the replacement for that, and that, and that etc... I have a few BRs (dual format releases), but I will stick to DVDs until they out right stop being made.

DVD comes no where close to capturing the film-like nature of a film like Blu Ray does. DVD isn't even 24fps.

That's not the point. Ok, so I replace all my DVDs for BR. Then what, BR for 4K? And after that, 4K for what comes next, and so on? DVDs work perfectly fine for me, and i'll keep buying them until they are stopped completely.

And again, that is not taking into account films or tv series that have not had a BR release. As I mentioned before, a tiny fraction of the classic era Doctor who range has had a BR release. I think it is less than a handful, with no visible plans for any more on the horizon.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I've concluded that blu rays are pretty much good enough for me. Sure 4K is better, but I'm not upgrading again. I can live with blu ray quality going forward. After all, my eyes aren't getting any better with time.

I think what's just as important as the medium is whether the print has been cleaned up or restored. Eg. The Avengers tv series from the 60s was recently reissued with a new restoration on both dvd and blu ray. From what I understand, the dvd looks excellent. So I may just end up buying that. My blu ray player will upscale anyway. Not perfect, but close enough for a 50 year old show.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've concluded that blu rays are pretty much good enough for me. Sure 4K is better, but I'm not upgrading again. I can live with blu ray quality going forward. After all, my eyes aren't getting any better with time.

I think what's just as important as the medium is whether the print has been cleaned up or restored. Eg. The Avengers tv series from the 60s was recently reissued with a new restoration on both dvd and blu ray. From what I understand, the dvd looks excellent. So I may just end up buying that. My blu ray player will upscale anyway. Not perfect, but close enough for a 50 year old show.

It depends on your screen size. TVs from 30 odd to 50 odd inch won't benefit much from 4k.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,031

That's not the point. Ok, so I replace all my DVDs for BR. Then what, BR for 4K? And after that, 4K for what comes next, and so on? DVDs work perfectly fine for me, and i'll keep buying them until they are stopped completely.

And again, that is not taking into account films or tv series that have not had a BR release. As I mentioned before, a tiny fraction of the classic era Doctor who range has had a BR release. I think it is less than a handful, with no visible plans for any more on the horizon.

4k is only beneficial really if you're using a projector and screen. 1080p Blu Ray is fine for most television sets. If you want to stick with DVD that is of course fine, just bear in mind that Blu Ray gets you closer to the theatrical experience.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Last year I updated my Bond collection from DVD to bluray. Honestly I can't tell the difference. The menus are the same and the picture quality isn't that much of an upgrade
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    There are some movies where I can tell a difference between DVD and Blu-ray, but others where I can't. Some I've even watched side by side, with someone else in the room pointing out what they claim is an obvious quality difference and I just see the same thing, side by side.

In the end, though, the main reason I stick to DVDs is because I have a very low income, and while I have a PS3 and thus am capable of watching Blu-rays, DVDs are just fine for me and tend to be cheaper. When I've got more money to throw around, I'll probably start buying Blu-rays, but I don't intend on replacing anything I have on DVD until those discs stop working.
    Last year I updated my Bond collection from DVD to bluray. Honestly I can't tell the difference. The menus are the same and the picture quality isn't that much of an upgrade

The Bond blu rays are vast improvement on the DVDs. What size screen are you watching on? As an example there are huge difference on DVD and Blu Ray for CR. The opening scene on Blu captures so much more of the film grain - as it's meant to be - and across the film too - CR is a very grainy film. The TS credits on the DVD have a haloing effect - not so on the Blu Ray - all crisp and sharp.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I have a 48 in my living room and a 32 in the bedroom. Definitely can't tell the difference on the 32. Mostly because I watch them before I go to sleep. Perhaps a larger screen would have more of an impact
    I have a 48 in my living room and a 32 in the bedroom. Definitely can't tell the difference on the 32. Mostly because I watch them before I go to sleep. Perhaps a larger screen would have more of an impact

I had a 32" before I went 120" screen and projector. Could definitely tell the difference on 32" screen.
    4K still isn't close to being as big as blu-ray is, so I'm sure 8K is years and years off. Won't it eventually get to a point where it can't possibly look any better?

I plan on getting a 4K TV soon, but I'm still lost on what brand/series I want to go with.

8K is here now in Japan.

I don't mean the technology itself, I mean it being a common feature in stores and shopping. Most people are still unaware that the 4K technology is out there, so 8K won't be remotely common for a very long time.

8K is here now in Japan.

I don't mean the technology itself, I mean it being a common feature in stores and shopping. Most people are still unaware that the 4K technology is out there, so 8K won't be remotely common for a very long time.

Quite so.
    And if 4K is impressing me the way it has, I can't begin to fathom what 8K looks like.

4k is only beneficial really if you're using a projector and screen. 1080p Blu Ray is fine for most television sets. If you want to stick with DVD that is of course fine, just bear in mind that Blu Ray gets you closer to the theatrical experience.
    That might technically be true. In actuality the way most theaters project looks not more like br than like dvd. It´s basically three different viewing experiences, and they´re not worlds apart, as long as the mastering/projection is done well. Many times br offers a sharper picture than cinema, yet it doesn´t necessarily look better.
    That being said, I found myself buying some newer films I already had on dvd also on br, because even though I can only see marginal differences in sharpness and detail in the picture on my 32" tv, movements tend to look more natural on br.

• edited August 2017 Posts: 1,031
    boldfinger wrote: »

That might technically be true. In actuality the way most theaters project looks not more like br than like dvd. It´s basically three different viewing experiences, and they´re not worlds apart, as long as the mastering/projection is done well. Many times br offers a sharper picture than cinema, yet it doesn´t necessarily look better.
    That being said, I found myself buying some newer films I already had on dvd also on br, because even though I can only see marginal differences in sharpness and detail in the picture on my 32" tv, movements tend to look more natural on br.

Cinema projection remains the best viewing experience of a film.
    Oh yes, very much so!
    boldfinger wrote: »

Cinema projection remains the best viewing experience of a film.

I'd much rather see a 35mm print screened of a Bond film than say a digital copy. I don't think the Blu-ray releases of the Bonds capture the cinematic feel. In clarity and sharpness perhaps, but often the color timing of the Blu rays look nothing like the cinematic versions.