Bond Movies - the best film series ever?

edited May 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,052
Just thinking about the upcoming release of Skyfall got me thinking that most series of films run out of steam by the third entry or sometimes a belated fourth is released that is not a patch on the old films, what other series could create so much anticipation with it's 23rd entry? That is pretty impressive.

I think the quality of the Bond films themselves is overlooked, the fact that so many people have a different favrouite Bond movie which are not confined to the first few entries is proof that the Bond series is truley greater than any other popular film series!?

Comments

What a silly question - of course it is :p

Can someone close this thread down please? :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Easily the best, nothing compares, not yet anyway.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    50 years and still going....

.... 'nuff said.
    Easily.....23 films ? he is a national treasure here.
    James Bond, LOTR, Star Wars (original trilogy). My three biggest film series loves. Bond wins though, but don't tell Peter Jackson or George Lucas. Don't know how they'd take it.
    I don´t get the questionmark in the headline.
    boldfinger wrote:
    I don´t get the questionmark in the headline.

Well you know, I thought there might be some Star Wars or LOTR fans on here who might argue the virtues of those franchises!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    my favs have always been...

James Bond
    Star Wars
    Indiana Jones

thats my holy trinity when it comes to films lol
    Tarzan
    The Thin Man
    The Saint
    Charlie Chan
    The Falcon
    Die Hard
    Alien franchise
    Dr Mabuse

to name a few others that most certainly have their merits too. O:-)
    Don't forget about Star Trek. The first show, which ended in 1969, spawned four syndicated programs and twelve films. That's pretty impressive.
    My fav is Indy but Bond is a close second and the greatest franchise ever due to its cross appeal with both fans and the critical success it has garnered over the decades. Bond is an institution and always will be. It's next level.
    marymoss wrote:
    Don't forget about Star Trek. The first show, which ended in 1969, spawned four syndicated programs and twelve films. That's pretty impressive.

Five programs. Don't forget the animated. And thus far there have been 11 films. The 12th has not yet been released.
    For me it's:
    Bond
    Indiana Jones (the first three)
    Star Wars (the first three)

I don't like TLOTR, I'm sorry, I find it dull. Please don't kill me!!!! [-O<
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Yes, considerably
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    My favourites are: Bond, Indiana Jones, Rocky, Rambo, Die Hard, Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween and Bourne.

But no 1 has to be Bond.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    More and more series are going up to five films or more nowadays:

Die Hard
    The Fast And The Furious
    Resident Evil
    Rocky
    Rambo
    Pirates Of The Caribbean
    Transformers

Some such as Transformers look set to go on forever...

Of course Bond is the best.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't believe this needs to be asked.

But, absolutely, Bond is the best. He's the man. It's the series. It's the greatest series to have ever graced my eyes, and I fell in love with it nearly fifteen years ago, and haven't lost a bit of interest to this day.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 7,570
    The unique thing with Bond in modern cinema is that it survives a change in lead actor. All other series rely on the continued participation of the main star (note I say 'modern cinema'. Tarzan successfully replaced its lead actor for decades) or the change of lead actor is damaging to the series ie Batman.

As a result Bond most certainly is the best film series ever. And by quite a margin
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Fingers crossed this means the Box Office for Transformers 4 will drop off a cliff.

Bond Forever!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Fingers crossed this means the Box Office for Transformers 4 will drop off a cliff.

Bond Forever!

Transformers is just a bad plague. It's like Call of Duty: I became more and more disgusted with it over time, and now it seems it'll turn into the gaming franchise where they shell one out, people won't stop talking about it, it releases, makes a lot of money, everyone hates it, and then there's a cool, quiet breeze for a while, until the next is announced.
    Truly this and the ROCKY series are my favourite series when it comes to films. Nothing else comes close.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I think the Harry Potter series is the most consistant series. From start to finish it maintained an incredibly high standard of acting, direction music, special effects, set and costume design as well as makeup; all while maintaining an ongoing storyline. Unlike others, there was never a measurable dropoff in quality. I'm a huge Bond fan, as well as a fan of many of the other series mentioned, but for me Harry Potter is the best.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Easily the best series for me. So what if there are maybe 2 or 3 films that are duds? Even the average Bond films are exciting to me, just being in that world of Bond. 19 good to great Bond films out of 22 films ain't bad. Plus I'll add, this is the only discussion board on the internet I participate in for what it's worth.
  • It certainly is. Although Indiana Jones gets an honourable mention (I like to think of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as being Indy's Die Another Day); would the Back To The Future trilogy count as a series? If so, then that is right up there, too.

Rog's last bit in AVTAK rivals anything the 'Carry On' team could produce....
    1. James Bond
    2. Transporter/Die Hard
    4. Rambo
    5. Star Wars/Rocy

I have only seen the two first Lethal Weapon movies, but that series would probably be my number 5. And I have only seen the first three Fast And Furious movies, the two first were very good. Bourne is a worthy mention, as is Batman. Loved TLOTR ten years ago but not now. I have never seen an Indiana Jones movie.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 299
    Well if we're talking in terms of longevity and staying power, no question it's the greatest. Nothing else comes close. But in terms of overall quality, I'd have to give that recognition to The Lord of the Rings. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only series that didn't have a weak entry. Unfortunately Bond, Star Wars, Godfather, Harry Potter and Indiana Jones have all had subpar moments. If The Dark Knight Rises is as good as the other two, it will also hold a place similar to LOTR for me. Maintaing a consistent level of quality is so hard. Still, I doubt most of these could go on as long as Bond has.
    I was first a Star Wars fan and still am... but James Bond has replace it. The Godfather trilogy is almost a religion to me, but I see it more like a saga in three episodes than a series.
    So yes, James Bond is the best film series and favorite to me!
    BAIN123 wrote:

What a silly question - of course it is :p

Can someone close this thread down please? :)

Yes, what a silly question!

I've seen 112 films so far this year alone, and only three of that lot are Bond films, and still I believe that nothing can beat the Bond series. Bond is just too good.
    Absolutely! All the films are a modern take on the current times that they were made. They don't constantly have to reboot the charactor in terms of how he became who he is, like the super hero franchises.

Bond is 50 years old and it still holds alot of magic and affection for milloions of people asround the world both young and old. "Nobody Does It Better" :D