Bond Movies - the best film series ever?

2»

Comments

• LicenseToWillLicenseToWill Western Cape, South Africa
    1. Bond (hands down)
    2. Rocky
    3. The Godfather
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2012 Posts: 12,459
    If a series can be considered for a minimum of three films that I like a LOT (leaving the Matrix group behind then; I loved the first one only) ... then for me:

#1 Bond - of course, doesn't need to be said really
    #2 Lord of the Rings triology (all 3 awesome! no let down)
    #3 Harry Potter (loved the books, beautifully filmed)
    #4 the old Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films (oh yeah!)
    #5 Indiana Jones (1st 3)
    #6 Pirates of the Caribbean
    #7 Rocky (not all, but 1st 3 for sure)
    #6 Die Hard
    #9 Star Wars
    #10 Transporter (NOT Transformers)
    #11 The Saint (old movies)
    In all seriousness Bond is certainly one of the most successful, highest grossing and endlessly entertaining film series' around. HOWEVER I'm not sure whether "quality wise" its the best. Everyone knows there's been a fair share of crap Bond movies in the last 50 yrs along with many good/great ones - thats inevitable for a series that has lasted this long.

I remember film critic Mark Kermode once claiming the Toy Story movies to be "the best film trilogy of all time". That's debatable but "quality wise" one can't argue that all three are charming, funny and well written.

In terms of quality Toy Story beats Bond :p
    most definitely the best. this is the only movie forum i post on :-)
    Well we have to say Bond don't we and quite right really, thing is, it hasn't always been 'The Best' so to speak, it's been a bit of a bumpy ride along the way, but it beats all others as it is the most well known and admired, so we can put Bond in first place and after that would come Rocky, Die Hard maybe, Steven Seagal, not really a series, but a series of his films, and maybe Indiana Jones, and I left out Star Trek there - that can go into second place without question, good thing I remembered, only James Bond beats it

Goodnight I-)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Easily the best series for me. So what if there are maybe 2 or 3 films that are duds? Even the average Bond films are exciting to me, just being in that world of Bond. 19 good to great Bond films out of 22 films ain't bad. Plus I'll add, this is the only discussion board on the internet I participate in for what it's worth.

For what it's worth?? It's worth more than all the gold in Fort Knox JBF ;)
    Good to see plenty of love for Rocky, I think the last film ended it perfectly!
    Cant believe no one has mentioned the Scary Movie series yet :-p
    And what about Police Academy :)
    NicNac wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Easily the best series for me. So what if there are maybe 2 or 3 films that are duds? Even the average Bond films are exciting to me, just being in that world of Bond. 19 good to great Bond films out of 22 films ain't bad. Plus I'll add, this is the only discussion board on the internet I participate in for what it's worth.

For what it's worth?? It's worth more than all the gold in Fort Knox JBF ;)

Thanks Nic, I appreciate the appreciation (for what its worth) ;-)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Of course not! The best film series ever is Twilight. :O)

Just joking. ;-)

Of course it is.
  • Of course James Bond franchise is the best longest running & most successful franchise in cinema history. Bond 50 is going strong baby. :)
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Well...

... Are there any best films series ??

...We have 007 and ........................................................

the rest far under. :D
  • I get almost as much pleasure watching the (earlier) Star Trek movie releases, or original episodes, or the Rocky films, (apart from Rocky V), or Indiana Jones, or even French Connection, or Superman (up to 1983), or The Clint Eastwood Dollars Trilogy etc, than I do with James Bond. Yes Bond is the longest serving and maybe best remembered, but all those other names, that while just can't quite touch Bond, are still enjoyed by millions and worthy of inclusion

And that's that for today
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well we have to say Bond don't we and quite right really, thing is, it hasn't always been 'The Best' so to speak, it's been a bit of a bumpy ride along the way, but it beats all others as it is the most well known and admired, so we can put Bond in first place and after that would come Rocky, Die Hard maybe, Steven Seagal, not really a series, but a series of his films, and maybe Indiana Jones, and I left out Star Trek there - that can go into second place without question, good thing I remembered, only James Bond beats it

Goodnight I-)

I'm sorry but it seems to me that you are implying that Steven Seagals films are a definite in this list but Die Hard and Indy are only 'maybes'.

Just wanted to check because if that's the case you are in dire need of someone calling the guys with white coats before you end up harming yourself or others.
    Well we have to say Bond don't we and quite right really, thing is, it hasn't always been 'The Best' so to speak, it's been a bit of a bumpy ride along the way, but it beats all others as it is the most well known and admired, so we can put Bond in first place and after that would come Rocky, Die Hard maybe, Steven Seagal, not really a series, but a series of his films, and maybe Indiana Jones, and I left out Star Trek there - that can go into second place without question, good thing I remembered, only James Bond beats itGoodnight  I-)
    I'm sorry but it seems to me that you are implying that Steven Seagals films are a definite in this list but Die Hard and Indy are only 'maybes'.Just wanted to check because if that's the case you are in dire need of someone calling the guys with white coats before you end up harming yourself or others.
    I would quite happily watch DAD over most of Segal's movies. I say "most" because I do like the first Under Siege. Perhaps thats more because of Tommy Lee Jones and a certain scene involving a character coming out of a birthday cake ;)
    1. James Bond
    2. The Pink Panther
    3. Indiana Jones
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    My top 5.

1) James Bond (it's no contest really is it?)
    2) Die Hard
    3) Rocky
    4) Indiana Jones
    5) Rambo
    6) Police Story
    Definitely, especially when you have more imitations, spoofs, parodies, and films influenced than any other franchise, and to be as consistent and persistent, on IMDB, no Bond film has a rating below 6, which considering, some of the best films of all time get 8.5's, I think that's pretty darn consistent.