(deleted)

13»

Comments

More international

LTK just seemed small by comparison.
    They are both great but I like the more personal story with LTK and it feels more like Dalton's film. It's a return to the literary Bond; in fact, it feels more like a book Fleming would write than any of the other non-Fleming based Bond films.

That final tanker chase scene and how Dalton takes out Sanchez... damn, that's hardcore.
    Agreed.
  • LTK with recent viewings this year I prefer to TLD. LTK flirts with my top five its that good I think.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    LTK with recent viewings this year I prefer to TLD. LTK flirts with my top five its that good I think.

They both share my #1 Bond movie position.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    LTK with recent viewings this year I prefer to TLD. LTK flirts with my top five its that good I think.

They both share my #1 Bond movie position.

Can understand why, though TB, OHMSS and FRWL are set in stone with me. Great movies though pure escapism for me also, captured my imagination when young and won't budge from my top 3

:)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    TB, OHMSS and FRWL are set in stone with me.
    Love those... the 60's... no one has done it better... Tim's came damn close though. Close enough for me, anyway! \m/
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,432
    chrisisall wrote: »
    TB, OHMSS and FRWL are set in stone with me.
    Love those... the 60's... no one has done it better... Tim's came damn close though. Close enough for me, anyway! \m/

Very much reflective of there time, sounds maybe silly to say though you could have only have made those early 60s films in the 60s if that makes sense?

TLD certainly harks back to the period, Maibaum probably had a lot to do with that. :-bd
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I rewatched TB recently and find it really hard to understand why people rank it so highly. It's Connery's worst Bond IMO. I'd rather watch DAF, which has actually risen in my estimation. I think Terence Young did a brilliant job with DN and FRWL (two of my absolute favourites), but TB is just quite painful to watch. A lot of the ingredients are there, for me it just never really gets of the ground. I think the underwater scenes may be part of the reason. They look great but don't work well as action scenes. They're supposed to be the really adrenaline filled scenes but they actually lull you to sleep. Great Bond girls as well, but the film is just a bore.

Anyway, I really like Dalton, but I can't say his films really remind me of the 60s ones. To me TLD is a bit like a good Moore entry. For me that's a good thing. I didn't used be a big fan of LTK, but it's grown on me a lot. I used to feel it wasn't a proper Bond movie, but then The Brosnan Era came along and forced me to reassess what I saw as proper Bond, and I came to realise that LTK was actually a clevrer updating of the old formula. Most of the classic elements are still there, just given a fresh new twist.

Disagree about TB. One of the best films in the series. DAF is absolutely the worst of the Connery films, no excuse for the lack of continuity on the car tipping over on the alley, and the plot was just are-hash of the climax to YOLT, in my opinion.