(deleted)

Comments

Birdleson wrote: »
    I will say that I like LTK but somehow it feels like a smaller film.

Yes, and it bothered me at the time, when it looked like the studios were unwilling to invest in the franchise. Now, after we've gone big and back again, LTK stands out as a nice oddity in the series. I appreciate the relative intimacy and personal brutality it offers. I watched it a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it more than I ever had (I've always disliked that main Bond girl, though).

Pam? I used to hate her, but she doesn't bother me so much any more. Not bad looking either. One of less annoying American Bond girls, who for some reason tend to be not the best.
    The reviews at the time called it miami vice with 007.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The reviews at the time called it miami vice with 007.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/licence-to-kill-1989

No here, and in 1989, Roger Ebert ruled.
    Every movie that takes place in Paris makes me think of Frantic, so I see what you're saying.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This question is a difficult one for me to answer. I liked both of them equally but for completely different reasons:

1. TLD : credibly (for me) ushered in a new Bond, contemporized the Bond universe, featured an absolutely outstanding score, and retained enough traditional Bond elements (and annoying quirks) that I found it very entertaining. I've already commented on its weak spots in my mind (villains, casting, main girl - although this is deeply personal)

2. LTK : for being the first genuine attempt to shake up the Bond universe, and for being a bloody good standalone movie as well. It had arguably the most unpredictable flow to it (and that was probably its problem) and it featured one of the most dangerous (even to this day) villains JB has encountered. It also, sadly, had Talisa Soto, poor sets, and very little traditional Bond elements. So whether it's a good 'Bond' movie is a different question, and one where I think the jury is out, because it is forced to sit with 50 years of movie tradition. But there's no doubting it's a damn good standalone movie....and gets better with each viewing for me.

So Tim must be congratulated for providing us with 2 completely different but yet credible Bond entries out of the 2 he made. I'm deeply disappointed that he did not get the chance to do a 3rd, as I'm pretty sure it would have been his TSWLM or GF or SF. Some have said that GE was initially designed for him. He would have nailed it, so what a complete shame that was!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Before even reading the reviews, I thought MIAMI VICE as I was sitting in the theatre. The comparison was unavoidable at the time.

IT was, and at that point Miami VIce was so much more stylish that LTK felt small an underwhelming.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited November 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Licence to Kill perhaps has the least "glamorous" cinematography in terms of the Bond series, but then, it didn't need to be "flashy" or "glamorous". It reflects the gritty, at times gruesome, nature of the film. It got the job done.
    Licence to Kill perhaps has the least "glamorous" cinematography in terms of the Bond series, but then, it didn't need to be "flashy" or "glamorous". It reflects the gritty, at times gruesome, nature of the film. It got the job done.

Like Timothy 'Nails' Dalton.
  • TLD handily.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Getafix wrote: »

Like Timothy 'Nails' Dalton.

Very true!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I thought Dalton was Fantastic in LTK.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I thought Dalton was Fantastic in LTK.
    Then you certainly have a keen intellect sir.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2014 Posts: 1,727
    It's like choosing a favorite amoungst your two children...

I suppose TLD, but only JUST. LTK has great moments, but suffers from a weaker plot & i don't think the stunts (other than the SeaCrest escape, which is superb) were on a par with TLD. Dalton was better in LTK, and obviously that one has the far superior nemesis.

The plot in LTK is better I think although not a typical Bond plot.

TLD starts strongly but the plot fizzles out a bit.
  • I think almost everything about TLD aside from the main villain is superior to LTK. I'm one of the few who doesn't rank the films cheek by jowel.
    I think almost everything about TLD aside from the main villain is superior to LTK.
    I used to think that, but I recently got them both on Blu Ray and watched them back to back & realised the the main reason I was favouring TLD was because of John Barry. I now feel they are different but equal films.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    To me, both films suffer from cheap production. It was the 80s; no need for bad sets with terrible backlighting. But because of this, LTK fares better because it is the cheesier of the two, with one of the cheesiest theme songs and pre-title sequences in the whole series. Plus, the dialogue is a hoot. You got Wayne Newton playing a preacher and Benicio del Toro playing an underrated henchman (gotta love the name Dario!). Krest's death is one of the more unusual/unintentionally funny deaths in a Bond film. I could go on.

LTK for me.
    TripAces wrote: »
    To me, both films suffer from cheap production.
    You dare to denigrate two of my favourite Bond movies of all time?
    *Ash voice*
    You know, your shoelace is untied...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    chrisisall wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    To me, both films suffer from cheap production.
    You dare to denigrate two of my favourite Bond movies of all time?
    *Ash voice*
    You know, your shoelace is untied...

Sorry...was not meant to denigrate either film, Dalton, or the plot lines. It was just bad production design. But in the case of LTK, such production worked.

LTK is one of my faves.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Bond: LTK - close call. Dalton looked so uncomfortable uttering those oneliners in TLD
    Babes: Tie
    Villains: LTK
    Humour: TLD
    Sadism: LTK, although the Pushkin on his knees scene in TLD is more appropriate for a Bond movie. LTK is a bit too realistic in the violence department
    Snobbery: TLD
    Action: TLD
    Locations: TLD
    Gadgets: TLD
    Music: TLD

TLD: 6
    LTK: 4

The reality is that TLD is easily top 5 for me, maybe even number 1 at the moment. LTK rated highly before but now its slipped to near the middle.

What really elevates TLD for me is the action, stunts, and the pacing. Not to mention my favourite John Barry score. We're treated with two scores really - "The Living Daylights" and "Where has everybody gone" - I get a good shiver down my spine when I hear the melody and it really puts me in the mood for Bond
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • RC7RC7
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i am watching LTK as we speak... had something occur to me that i never thought of until just now..... that voice over in the beginning that says "If they hurry they just might be able to grab the bastard." ... is that Michael G Wilson's voice?

It is indeed.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond: TD
    Babes: LTK
    Sadism: LTK
    Gadgets: LTK

TLD: 5

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Both great Bonds - Dalton is my favourite Bond. TLD gets it by a nat's, it is a classic Bond film and has a brilliant score.
    I'll take TLD as well. Like both though. The opening of TLD is much stronger than LTK, to me.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Bond: TD
    Gadgets: LTK

TLD: 5 (actually 6, btw)
    Let's see:
    Bond: LTK
    Babes: TLD
    Action: LTK

TLD: 6
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    How are you using the numerical ratings?
    Anyway, in general I'll take TLD over LTK by a wide margin any day.
    Superior for me in many ways, though I love Dalton's performance in both.
  • Bond: TLD
    Action: LTK

TLD 6
    LTK 4