"Together they're dynamite!": The Persuaders! Appreciation Thread

13»

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Here's an alternate version of the first car race between Lord Sinclair and Daniel Wilde.

You can't beat "gotta get away" at that point
    Wasn't a fan of the song, to be honest. A bit too cheesy.
    My turn here :

Amicalement Vôtre (Friendly Yours), as it's known here, is a cult series in France, mostly due to the dubbing (in fact, when he heard Michel Roux dubbing him, Tony Curtis offered him a contract to be his official dub artist for everything he would do from that moment on). But even without the dubbing, what's not to love ? The title sequence is second only to Mission Impossible and Game of Thrones, the interplay between the two characters is a delight to watch, and you can watch so many british actors (and actresses) make an appearance (Lois Maxwell, Joan Collins, Catherine Schelletc.) My favourite episode is the tribute to Kind Hearts and Coronets. What's yours ?
    Another Bond connection...just saw Tony Curtis kick George Baker in the gonads...episode 11.
    Yet another Bond connection (apart from Barry theme) is Roger Moore trying to catch his nemisis in episode #12 atm ,who is nobody else but the Minister Freddie Gray ,our own Geoffrey Keen.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I haven't seen the Persuaders since it was originally broadcast. I always thought that in real life, both Sir Rog and Tony Curtis would be two blokes you could have a good night out on the town with.
    Definately...but Sir Roger still couldnt punch for shit,even then,compared to Curtis doing all his own stunts and when he punches you feel it !!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    It looks like nobody mentioned it before, but "Die Zwei" [The Two], that is the German-dubbed version of "The Persuaders", is one of the few examples of foreign TV series being MUCH MORE popular than the original because of the German dubbing.

We had no comparison at the time, but the German version made everybody go crazy because of the jokes they cracked within the German dubbing, which had only very limited connections to the original dialogue. I'm not going to translate any of it here, but at the time it was funny like hell, irreverent all the time, nonsensical and simply funny, however you looked at it.

I have the entire series on Blu-ray now (after having had it on DVD, which I gave away now), but this is probably still the only example of a show that I'd rather watch dubbed in German than in its original state.

Wow thats interesting JW !!
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I must admit ,watching the Persuaders! now,that i do love the soundtrack,its soooo groovy,good old John Barry once more....always a fun romp with Curtis and Moore.

I saw that Lord Sinclair's car is in a collection somewhere now but Danny Wilde's car disappeared never to be found after the show was not renewed due to Moore being cast as Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    WOA! Another favourite of mine and there's a thread! How cool is that.

The Persuaders have a special history in the German language region.

Because of the hilariously cleverly written dialogue in German and the two actors that dubbed Curtis and Moore, "Die 2" (German title: The 2) became fast a cult show of unprecedented proportions.

To this day, it has a huge following in Germany (and Switzerland). There have been fantastic DVD and Blu-ray releases of the show with a ton of special features!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    For UK viewers The Persuaders is on True Entertainment channel on Freeview @ 8pm today S1 Ep2 so only missed the first episode.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    rexfeatures_770009gy.jpg?itok=VPnMi6gT

Double Cool!
    Sir Rog, and the Aston DBS from The Persuaders.
    Must be time to give this a re-watch. 70's classic at it's best.
    I rewatch it at least once per two months. It’s one of my favourite TV series. Third favourite on the ITC list.
    It really does have a wonderful rewatchability.
    Indeed! The first episode alone makes you fall in love with the show.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Watched an old episode recently which Roger Directed and the young girl in one
    Scene was Roger's Daughter Deborah. Great feel good series.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The Persuaders returns... as an advert for a boat :D

Also... look at me earlier today! :D

FaH5DpnXkAAxhpd?format=jpg&name=large

@mtm I'm immensely jealous. The BS1 Aston Martin DBS. Very cool.
    It seems this thread has been dormant for far too long. Many fans including @SIS_HQ may not know of its existence.
    I know I'm due a rewatch of this series.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Thanks @Benny 😊