"Together they're dynamite!": The Persuaders! Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm no expert on what colour residue it might leave O:-)
    I can only guess that it must have left some sort of staining
    On the fingers, like many heavy smokers ?
    that makes sense...why did they not make more episodes than they did @Thunderpussy ?

Sorry for the questions,just curiosity .
    edited March 2017 Posts: 13,384
    I'm not too sure, it was a popular show but I don't think it sold as much as expected
    In the American market, it was also very expensive to make as they did a lot of location
    Shooting and of course Sir Roger might have been in negotiations For Bond ?
    I'm not too sure, it was a popular show but I don't think it sold as much as expected
    In the American market, and of course Sir Roger might have been in negotiations
    For Bond ?

Thats what i thought..and it would make sense..or maybe the risk of Curtis going off the rails or drugs being found might have made it too risky !

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    How could I've missed this thread? :O
    True, probably a combination of all those things.
    Recently I've been watching the old B/W series of the Saint and it's amazing how
    Many Bond actors are scattered throughout it.
    I did a google search for MI6 and found it,as im currently watching the episode re-runs on tv..nearly created a new thread but found this,seemingly unpopular when it came out,thread..
    True, probably a combination of all those things.
    Recently I've been watching the old B/W series of the Saint and it's amazing how
    Many Bond actors are scattered throughout it.

It is isn't it...so many actors from The Saint/Persuaders/Prisoner etc end up in Bond films....even later on with the Professionals/Minder/Sweeney..

It keeps you on your toes, trying to put names to faces. Even Oliver Reed pops up
    In a couple of episodes of The Saint.
    It keeps you on your toes, trying to put names to faces. Even Oliver Reed pops up
    In a couple of episodes of The Saint.
    And gets his arse handed to him by The Saint, many times. ;)
    :D The Saint took no crap from anyone.
    :D The Saint took no crap from anyone.
    Mind you, they're "ungodly". And he's "saintly". :))
    :)) Very true.
    Shame Oliver Reed got his chance to be Bond..but that is for comments on another old thread i made on here..
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Shame Oliver Reed got his chance to be Bond..but that is for comments on another old thread i made on here..
    Apparently, he was "too rough" for the role according to the producers.
    Correct....about the same as Lewis Collins when he was interviewed,on another thread of mine !
    Correct....about the same as Lewis Collins when he was interviewed,on another thread of mine !
    Poor lad was really wasted after The Professionals. Never made anything significant other than appearing in low-budget B-Movies in typecast roles. Lewis Collins however should have been Bond and I really don't know what was it about Cubby saying he was "too rude". Collins was one of the nicest people on earth. My uncle met him once during the '90s.
    Poor lad was really wasted after The Professionals. Never made anything significant other than appearing in low-budget B-Movies in typecast roles. Lewis Collins however should have been Bond and I really don't know what was it about Cubby saying he was "too rude". Collins was one of the nicest people on earth. My uncle met him once during the '90s.

Hang on,thats an important comment @ClarkDevlin ...put that in my Lewis Collins thread,im putting back on now !

Lewis Collins's would have made a great Bond. I remember reading that he
    Himself said he "balls up" the audition by appearing too aggressive ? Or
    Something like that.
    Always loved the way Lord Brett referred to his partner as Daniel. It seemed to be a great constant wind-up.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Love The Persuaders. Can't believe I've never posted in this thread. Earlier this year I rewatched them all. Curtis and Moore had some great chemistry. Great pairing. Sir Rog is great at playing the toff playboy. And displays his well known penchant for ad libs and light comedy.
    Then of course there are the cars. Ferrari Dino, and my personal favourite, Aston Martin DBS. Plenty of Bond alumni to be found throughout. It's almost a pity we didn't get a second series. However, I guess we wouldn't have got a Sir Rog Bond if we did.
    It may just be me, but Sir Rog sometimes looks older in The Persuaders, than he did in his first two Bond films.
    In the Book about Sir Roger becoming Bond, he mentioned he had to have his hair cut
    Three times before the producers were happy. Then had to loose a lot of weight. Leading
    Him to ask " Why didn't you just hire a thinner short haired actor in the first place " :D
  • A great show. I too enjoy spotting the various familiar faces popping up in each episode. Last show I saw had Terry-Thomas in it ("an absolute shower!") as did Juliet Harmer. Was pleased to see her as she stars as "Miss Jones" in my own personal favourite vintage show Adam Adamant Lives!
    Yes,i think he looks younger because of the several haircuts he had and the weight-loss.
    Many elements from The Persuaders! as well as The Saint have been recycled for Moore's Bond films, and that includes lines derived from certain scenes.
    Really ?!
    Yep! One example I can recall from The Saint itself is in an episode, if I remember correctly, alongside Justine Lord (my favourite Saint girl) where she thanks Templar for saving her life and he responds with "Remind me to do it more often." That was later recycled for Moonraker, for example.

Many other elements are present from The Persuaders! as well. Reusing actors/actresses from them, most notably Valerie Leon, etc.
    In one early episode of the saint he's at a fancy dress party and is wearing a
    Clown outfit very similar to that of Octopussy, can't say anything about its
    Colour as it was in B/W :)
    Yep! One example I can recall from The Saint itself is in an episode, if I remember correctly, alongside Justine Lord (my favourite Saint girl) where she thanks Templar for saving her life and he responds with "Remind me to do it more often." That was later recycled for Moonraker, for example.

Many other elements are present from The Persuaders! as well. Reusing actors/actresses from them, most notably Valerie Leon, etc.

Well,well,well,I never knew that ,or the clown suit episode @Thunderpussy ..there are so many Saint episodes ,but I have all the black and white ones on DVD.
    I will have to find it and have a look.
    Do you know the name of the episode by any chance ?

JBFan626 wrote: »
    JWPepper wrote:
    wonderful music(John Barry!)

Love the theme song:

<url>

Of course the theme tune is one of TV's greatest.