The brand new guess the character

Comments

Henry Gupta maybe
    I'll have one last attempt at this if you don't mind, and say,

Stamper

Sure it's someone from Tomorrow Never Dies
    The guy Bond threw into the newspaper machine in TND?
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    It's not Mrs Whistler (shame - the children would have been so thrilled), Henry Gupta, Stamper or the guy in the newspaper machine in TND. Here are two more clues to add to the mix which should help us get to the finishing line:

#1 Pride comes before a fall.
    #2 I was worried, but it turned out okay. For a little while...
    #3 I was betrayed. Twice.
    #4 I have at least one thing in common with Victor Zokas.
    #5 I never saw a Double 0 but expected to see many more.
    #6 I'm always in second place.
    #7 Bond got something (even though he shouldn't have). They said I got one too. But I didn't.
    #8 I received some very good news and then some very disturbing news.
    #9 My success was the beginning of the end.
    #10 Bond probably wouldn't approve of my financial arrangements.
    #11 Ian Fleming wouldn't recognise me. But he wouldn't expect to.
    #12 I am addressed the wrong way around. Twice.
    #13 Pussy might think I'm more like 007 than my associate (especially if she missed what's right under my nose.)
    #14 I'm a man of few words...
    #15 ...but I remember my manners...
    #16 ...although I'm not the most original orator.
    #17 The lady who introduced me must have worried about her ride.
    #18 My demise is not only elaborate but also quite expensive.
    #19 My very last act is a cordial one.
    #20 First I went up. Then I went down. With a bang.
    #21 It's hard to get by on just a teacher's salary.
    #22 I'm a scholarly individual.
    #23 The moment had come to bid me farewell.

Phew. Only two more clues up my sleeve and then I'm spent!

Incorrect guesses: Alec Trevelyan, Angelo, Colonel Moon, Davidov, Dryden, Emilio Largo, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, Georgi Koskov, Gustav Graves, Helga Brandt, Henry Gupta, James Bond, Jaws, Joe Butcher, Kamal Khan, Kananga, Kerim Bey, Kratt, Kronsteen, Mr Ling, M, Milton Krest, Moneypenny, Orlov, Patrice, Pushkin, Raoul Silva, Renard, Scaramanga's henchman, Sergei Barsov, Stamper, Steven Obanno, Strawberry Fields, Mrs Whistler, Zao, Zorin
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Mr. Kidd?
    Sorry @Samuel001 - it's not Mr Kidd. My "so thrilled" comment wasn't a hint, I just couldn't resist the line!

To give a bonus hint, I'd say that #22 is a useful one to really help narrow it down. Really want someone to get this as the guesses have been very good.
  • Professor Dent?
    Elliot Carver?
  • Both incorrect but I can feel we're getting much warmer!
  • Oddjob?
    Dr Kaufmann?
  • Keep guessing folks!
    Stamper
    Not Mr Stamper either, @Perdogg ( @4EverBonded and @Baltimore_007 had made the same guess a little earlier.)

Here's the penultimate clue:

#24 I'm one half of a close partnership. We're inseperable, you know.

Final clue tomorrow (if no-one guesses correctly in the meantime) and I'm pretty sure that will do the trick. Good luck!
    Is it Hans Gruber from Die Hard ?

some of the clues do add up..

Actually, @SirMoloney has done a great job with this and eager to see who this can truly be

Will go with Hai Fat from Golden Gun, although probably wrong

This has been a very good round
    Ha ha. It's not Hans Gruber (best Bond villain that never was)

Thanks @Baltimore, that's high praise coming from you. It's not Hai Fat but hope everyone keeps guessing. Can't be long now.
    Hugo Drax
    Prof. Markovitz
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Elliot Carver? sorry, I just saw Perdogg guessed that too.

give me a second ... Mr. Wint?
    SharkBait wrote:
    Prof. Markovitz

Very good. I think you are right.
    I second that, I think Prof. Markovitz adds up to .... a winner. :)
    We shall find out soon.

And ... is clue #23 from actual dialog: "the moment has come to bid you farewell ..." ?
    Markovitz.jpg

Congratulations @SharkBait !
    That's terrific! Congratulations, @SharkBait!
    And thank you, @Sir_James_Moloney, for a wonderful round! It was not easy. But it was enjoyable to read and guess along.
  • Congratulations to SharkBait! Can we get the clue breakdown, please?
    Wow, thanks. Give me a day. I have to think which character I choose to play with.
    Congratulations to SharkBait! Can we get the clue breakdown, please?
    With pleasure, @Soundofthesinners. With pleasure:

#1 Pride comes before a fall
    Markovitz is clearly proud that the submarine tracking system has been a success and shakes hands happily with Bechman immediately before being blown up and falling to the sea.

#2 I was worried, but it turned out okay. For a little while…
    Markovitz (along with Bechmann) was worried Stromberg would activate his elevator trapdoor but he got to the helicopter safely and seemed relieved. But the relief would be short-lived (so would Markovitz himself, for that matter...)

#3 I was betrayed. Twice.
    Stromberg's assistant betrayed Bechmann, Markovitz and Stromberg by creating and selling a microfilm of the submarine tracking system. Stromberg then betrayed Bechmann and Markovitz by murdering them.

#4 I have at least one thing in common with Victor Zokas
    Markovitz has a Swiss Bank account, so must deal with a Swiss Banker (Zokas, aka Renard, deals with the Swiss banker Lachaise.) I suppose they also both have an interest in submarines. [In hindsight, I was sorry I gave this one as a clue as I realised there are lots of more obvious things one could have in common with Renard (shaved head, gunshot wound, alias, henchman to the main villain etc.) so it seems like a bit of a red herring even though it wasn't intended as such]

#5 I never saw a Double 0 but expected to see many more
    He didn't meet Bond or any other 00 agent. But he expected to see 10000000 dollars in his bank account. i]Sorry that this one seemed to cause some confusion but I tried to help by pointing out that '"I never saw a Double 0" can be taken at face value.'[/i

#6 I'm always in second place.
    Both times he and his partner are directly addressed, it's as "Doctor Bechmann and Professor Markovitz"

#7 Bond got one (even though he shouldn't have). They said I got one too. But I didn't.
    James Bond got a funeral at sea in YOLT even though he wasn't really dead. Markovitz's next of kin were told his "funeral was at sea." But that was a lie - he didn't receive a funeral at all.

#8 I received some very good news and then some very disturbing news.
    Markovitz was thanked and congratulated by Stromberg and told he had been paid $10m but was then told "I regret to inform you that a very dangerous development has recently been brought to my notice..."

#9 My success was the beginning of the end.
    The fact that the tracking system had been successfully completed allowed Stromberg to dispatch of Bechmann and Markovitz.

#10 Bond probably wouldn't approve of my financial arrangements.
    It's very clear from TWINE that Bond doesn't approve of Swiss bankers. Markovitz had a Swiss bank account.

#11 Ian Fleming wouldn't recognise me. But he wouldn't expect to.
    Markovitz was an original Eon creation who didn't feature in Fleming's novels. This is fairly common in most of the Bond films made after 1974. But as Fleming sold the film rights to just the title of The Spy Who Loved Me and stipulated that the storyline must be original, he wouldn't have expected to recognise any characters in this film.

#12 I am addressed the wrong way around. Twice.
    Markovitz stands on the left and Bechmann on the right. But both Stromberg and Naomie address them as "Dr Bechmann and Professor Markovitz" (in that order), which seems counterintuitive.

#13 Pussy might think I'm more like 007 than my associate (especially if she missed what's right under my nose)
    Pussy tells Bond, "you like close shaves." Bechmann doesn't like close shaves (he has a big bushy beard.) Markovitz is clean-shaven (except for the moustache right under his nose.)

#14 I'm a man of few words...
    Bechmann and Markovitz hardly speak at all despite having a number of opportunities to do so...

#15 ...but I remember my manners…
    …but when they do, it's to express their thanks to Stromberg...

#16 ...although I'm not the most original orator.
    ...but when Markovitz does speak, he just repeats Bechmann's thanks ("thank you indeed.")

#17 The lady who introduced me must have worried about her ride.
    Naomie introduces Bechmann and Markovitz to Stromberg. Later, she pilots a helicopter that is identical to the booby-trapped 'copter Bechamnn and Markovitz take their final ride in (and, coincidentally, she meets a similar fate courtesy of Q's gadget-laden Lotus)

#18 My demise is not only elaborate but also quite expensive.
    Stromberg forgoes the opportunity to drop Markovitz down his elevator trapdoor or to have Sandor and Jaws kill him simply with their hands or a gun. Instead he blows up a helicopter. Stromberg's a rich man but helicopters aren't cheap.

#19 My very last act is a cordial one.
    Markovitz dies shaking hands with his colleague Bechmann.

#20 First I went up. Then I went down. With a bang.
    Markovitz went up in a helicopter which exploded and fell into the sea.

#21 It's hard to get by on just a teacher's salary.
    Markovitz is a professor (so therefore a teacher) but is working for Stromberg for a $10m fee.

#22 I'm a scholarly individual.
    Markovitz is a professor.

#23 The moment had come to bid me farewell.
    As @4EverBonded recalled, Stromberg begins his meeting with Bechmann and Markovitz with the words "now that the moment has come to bid you farewell…"

#24 I'm one half of a close partnership. We're inseperable, you know.
    Bechmann and Markovitz are introduced together, work together, are always addressed together and die together. They only ever appear onscreen together.

#25 Dent and Joe Butcher have both been incorrect guesses. I seem much nicer than Dent and I'm probably more trustworthy than Butcher.
    Both professors. Professor Dent tries to kill Bond in cold blood and "Professor" Butcher is a sleazy conman / drug dealer. Professor Markovitz just seems to be an avaricious academic who keeps fairly dodgy company.

Fortunately, we never got to 25. Thanks to everyone for playing and congrats again to @SharkBait. Looking forward to joining in guessing again!
    Damn it, someone got it

First off, have to give applause to @Sharkbait on getting that, a most devious round and I never would of got the character in question, would never of thought of such an obscure character, but what a fine last round that was. @SirMoloney once again, put together a damn difficult set of clues and overall character, but it was fun

Hope the winner gets back soon so we can continue with this once again. Well done to all involved
    Okay, here we go again!

1. I must seem like air to you
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I'll take a punt with The cigar girl from TWINE, not really for any solid reason, just that she floats up in a balloon and...well that's it really...have I won? :)
  • Jaws?