The brand new guess the character

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    #5 has me stumped, too, unless it means something entirely different than what it seems to. Hmmm.

OK, really ridiculously out on a limb here and no the hints don't add up:
    Moneypenny?
    Some of them could apply to Miranda Frost
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    All incorrect I'm afraid but 006 is a good one. And Miranda Frost could work for a few too. Moneypenny would be very cheeky, @4EverBonded!

Hopefully the new clues each day will help you to get there. Here are two more for you lovely people:

#1 Pride comes before a fall
    #2 I was worried, but it turned out okay. For a little while...
    #3 I was betrayed. Twice.
    #4 I have at least one thing in common with Victor Zokas
    #5 I never saw a Double 0 but expected to see many more
    #6 I'm always in second place.
    #7 Bond got something (even though he shouldn't have). They said I got one too. But I didn't.
    #8 I received some very good news and then some very disturbing news.
    #9 My success was the beginning of the end.
    #10 Bond probably wouldn't approve of my financial arrangements
    #11 Ian Fleming wouldn't recognise me. But he wouldn't expect to.
    #12 I am addressed the wrong way around. Twice.
    #13 Pussy might think I'm more like 007 than my associate (especially if she missed what's right under my nose)

Incorrect guesses: Alec Trevelyan, Angelo, Colonel Moon, Davidov, Dryden, Emilio Largo, Georgi Koskov, Gustav Graves, Helga Brandt, James Bond, Jaws, Kerim Bey, Kratt, Kronsteen, Moneypenny, Patrice, Raoul Silva, Scaramanga's henchman, Sergei Barsov, Steven Obanno, Zao, Zorin

P.S. @JWESTBROOK and @4EverBonded, Re: #5, I've employed a bit of wordplay but I haven't tried to deliberately mislead with any clues. You can take "I never saw a Double 0" at face value. Hope that helps!
    Yes, I thought Moneypenny would be a bit TOO cheeky but it was fun to post anyway.

How about: Pushkin?
  • Mr. Ling?
    Some of the clues point towards Judi Dench's M, but clue 5 says otherwise. I'll plump for it any case, but doubt that it is correct
    Sorry folks, it's not Pushkin, Mr Ling or M. Will hopefully help a little more with today's two clues plus a Bonus Bank Holiday Clue posted later.
  • #1 Pride comes before a fall
    #7 Bond got something (even though he shouldn't have). They said I got one too. But I didn't.
    #13 Pussy might think I'm more like 007 than my associate (especially if she missed what's right under my nose)
    #14 I'm a man of few words...
    #15 ...but I remember my manners...
    #16 ...although I'm not the most original orator.

Incorrect guesses: Alec Trevelyan, Angelo, Colonel Moon, Davidov, Dryden, Emilio Largo, Georgi Koskov, Gustav Graves, Helga Brandt, James Bond, Jaws, Kerim Bey, Kratt, Kronsteen, Mr Ling, M, Moneypenny, Patrice, Pushkin, Raoul Silva, Scaramanga's henchman, Sergei Barsov, Steven Obanno, Zao, Zorin
  • I won't post any more clues today as there haven't been any guesses since my last set so I'll give an extra day to mull it over. I'll post another couple at the usual time tomorrow (they'll be increasingly more specific so someone should get it in the next few days!)
  • Valentin Zukovsky?
    Stamper?
    It's not Zukovsky or Stamper, I'm afraid @Greg_Of_Canada and @4EverBonded. But as I'm posting no new clues today, I'll post a hint instead.

#5, #11 and #13 might be the most helpful clues at this stage in order to narrow it down.
    Thanks! I'll ruminate on that awhile ...
  • General Orlov?
    Orlov would explain a great many things

Looks like someone may have it, but worth an attempt with - Charles Gray' Blofeld (Diamonds are Forever)
  • Sorry folks, not General Orlov or Blofeld.

We've slipped onto the second page so here's three more clues to pep things up:

#17 The lady who introduced me must have worried about her ride.
    #18 My demise is not only elaborate but also quite expensive.
    #19 My very last act is a cordial one.

Incorrect guesses: Alec Trevelyan, Angelo, Colonel Moon, Davidov, Dryden, Emilio Largo, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, Georgi Koskov, Gustav Graves, Helga Brandt, James Bond, Jaws, Kerim Bey, Kratt, Kronsteen, Mr Ling, M, Moneypenny, Orlov, Patrice, Pushkin, Raoul Silva, Scaramanga's henchman, Sergei Barsov, Steven Obanno, Zao, Zorin
  • Count Lippe?
    Mister Kidd maybe ?
    I cannot fathom a guess, but I do think Mister Kidd may be it, Baltimore_007.
    It's neither Count Lippe nor Mister Kidd. I can see how Mister Kidd, particularly, fits some of the clues quite well though.

Carry on guessing and two further clues will be posted later today!
  • Kamal Khan?
    This is a real headscratcher. Kudos to @Sir_James_Moloney for providing us with a great character to guess at

I'll have a stab at Milton Krest
    Renard?
    TheBondFan wrote:
    Renard?

Make what you want out of that for clue #4

I don't know who this can be, and it's a damn pity I've lost my previous greatness on these rounds

Is it one of the motorcycle cops in Octopussy when they go after Bond after he steals the womans car in Germany (Mein auto-)

Thanks @Rogertheclown. It's not Kamal Khan, Milton Krest, Renard or one of the motorcycle cops from Octopussy (I wouldn't be cruel enough to make it such an obscure character!)

We're entering the endgame now and I'm sure someone will get it in the next few days. Here's two new clues for today:

#17 The lady who introduced me must have worried about her ride.
    #18 My demise is not only elaborate but also quite expensive.
    #19 My very last act is a cordial one.
    #20 First I went up. Then I went down. With a bang.
    #21 It's hard to get by on just a teacher's salary

Incorrect guesses: Alec Trevelyan, Angelo, Colonel Moon, Davidov, Dryden, Emilio Largo, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, Georgi Koskov, Gustav Graves, Helga Brandt, James Bond, Jaws, Kamal Khan, Kerim Bey, Kratt, Kronsteen, Mr Ling, M, Milton Krest, Moneypenny, Orlov, Patrice, Pushkin, Raoul Silva, Renard, Scaramanga's henchman, Sergei Barsov, Steven Obanno, Zao, Zorin
    Dr Kananga? I'm looking at clue #20 in particular
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 22
    "Bless your heart". It wouldn't be Professor Joe Butcher would it?

He technically never saw a 00 because Bond's license was revoked, but he expected to see many zeroes in the billions he was going to make.

Fleming wouldn't know him, nor expect to, because he is from the first Bond movie not to use a Fleming title.

• Yojimbo might just have it, but how about Strawberry Fields?
  • I'm very, very sorry to say that it's not Dr Kananga, Professor Joe Butcher or Strawberry Fields.

But @Rogertheclown has followed clue #20 in the right spirit and that's a great guess from Yojimbo!
  • oo7oo7
    Mrs. Whistler