The 1st Annual MI6 Community Awards *Favorite MI6 Moderator*

2»

Comments

Germanlady *is* biased because Major's favorite Bond is Dalton and his least favorite Bond in Craig.

Ah, that's what I thought.

You are quite welcome, Royale. Thoughts are free.
    But again - from a mod I expect a toned down version of his likes and dislikes and not howling with the wolfes.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady *is* biased because Major's favorite Bond is Dalton and his least favorite Bond in Craig.

But again - from a mod I expect a toned down version of his likes and dislikes and not howling with the wolfes.

Toned down? Just because he is a mod doesn't mean his personal thoughts and feelings have to diluted. That trashes individualism and supports a sense of overhashed conformity amongst mods.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,901
    The wisdom of moderation, I guess that's one trick i've never learned. *motions to passing waiter* "Get me a strong drink, i've just quoted Pierce Brosnan's Bond."

I admit I can sometimes let my likes/dislikes get the better of me. But when one is passionate about something, and it's a spirited discussion, it's not quite so easy to apply the brakes. That's how I feel, anyway.
    Germanlady wrote:

Toned down? Just because he is a mod doesn't mean his personal thoughts and feelings have to diluted. That trashes individualism and supports a sense of overhashed conformity amongst mods.

Well - with being as mod comes a certain responsibility and role model attitude should be displayed. If that is asked too much - don't be a mod. I don't see that in the Major and in this respect, I don't care WHO he trashes - he just shouldn't do it at all. Moderator comes from moderate...
    The wisdom of moderation, I guess that's one trick i've never learned. *motions to passing waiter* "Get me a strong drink, i've just quoted Pierce Brosnan's Bond."

I admit I can sometimes let my likes/dislikes get the better of me. But when one is passionate about something, and it's a spirited discussion, it's not quite so easy to apply the brakes. That's how I feel, anyway.

see above
    My vote would go to @NicNac.

DD seems a nice bloke but I've had some good PM discussions with NN so I say him :)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Well - with being as mod comes a certain responsibility and role model attitude should be displayed. If that is asked too much - don't be a mod. I don't see that in the Major and in this respect, I don't care WHO he trashes - he just shouldn't do it at all. Moderator comes from moderate...

I think you do, but that's not what I'm talking about right now.

Why should somebody not get across their views and feelings just like everyone else. If Major see's somebody bashing Dalton ^:)^, why shouldn't he be able to defend him like anyone else who ranks him 1st just because he's a mod?

I'm still voting for him.
    Because a mod is not like everybody else - a mod should be above emotional outbursts. Its as if the Highwaypatrol goes full speed themselves.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Germanlady wrote:
    Because a mod is not like everybody else - a mod should be above emotional outbursts. Its as if the Highwaypatrol goes full speed themselves.

It makes us human after all. ;-) Just my two cents.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 6,601
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Sure it does, but the Major is a bit too human for my taste ;) and saying, I dislike him, because he dislikes DC is making it a bit easy. I think, I gave reasons for my opinion. ...and you prove, that one can remain human without doing it with such vengeance.

I am a mod at my own board, so I know, what I am talking about...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Germanlady wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Sure it does, but the Major is a bit too human for my taste ;) and saying, I dislike him, because he dislikes DC is making it a bit easy. I think, I gave reasons for my opinion. ...and you prove, that one can remain human without doing it with such vengeance.

No one's behavior should be restricted, that's the thing. If this forum is about saying your beliefs on something then why does it matter if you are a rookie member, moderator, administrator or director? I can understand the role model deal, but realize how preschool it all sounds. We are not kindergarteners looking towards figures to influence our development into better people. One of the great things about this world, though there is little, is that we can have individualism to a wide degree in the US and England, where Bond fandom is highly prominent. That individualism bleeds into forums where no one can withhold your opinions or question your beliefs. So though he is a mod, @MajorDSmythe is not any less 'human' as you so jokingly put it, than regular members, and in that regard he is no less of an individual for his earned position. His responsibility in holding the position and his passion for many things in this world are more to look up to than his actual title of "moderator".
    Germanlady wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

If there is anything history can tell us of its many bountiful reserves of knowledge, it is that holding a position can be mutually exclusive with you actually fulfilling that said position. George Bush was president (I use 'president' loosely), but he was an imbecilic, burnt out, and uneducated puppet who is an absolute disgrace to men like Washington, Jackson, Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and FDR who held the same position. He got his position because he was a daddy's boy that got deep enough into the political machine to get several high echelon jobs that were no doubt garnered by corruption, and it was only natural his knock off son would secure such a position in the White House afterwards.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:

Nah, I think there's a difference. Mods are people on websites who help to keep things in order, and I don't see how major isn't doing that by supporting Dalton.
    Germanlady wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

No one's behavior should be restricted, that's the thing. If this forum is about saying your beliefs on something then why does it matter if you are a rookie member, moderator, administrator or director? I can understand the role model deal, but realize how preschool it all sounds. We are not kindergarteners looking towards figures to influence our development into better people. One of the great things about this world, though there is little, is that we can have individualism to a wide degree in the US and England, where Bond fandom is highly prominent. That individualism bleeds into forums where no one can withhold your opinions or question your beliefs. So though he is a mod, @MajorDSmythe is not any less 'human' as you so jokingly put it, than regular members, and in that regard he is no less of an individual for his earned position. His responsibility in holding the position and his passion for many things in this world are more to look up to than his actual title of "moderator".
    Germanlady wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

If there is anything history can tell us of its many bountiful reserves of knowledge, it is that holding a position can be mutually exclusive with you actually fulfilling that said position. George Bush was president (I use 'president' loosely), but he was an imbecilic, burnt out, and uneducated puppet who is an absolute disgrace to men like Washington, Jackson, Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and FDR who held the same position. He got his position because he was a daddy's boy that got deep enough into the political machine to get several high echelon jobs that were no doubt garnered by corruption, and it was only natural his knock off son would secure such a position in the White House afterwards.

=D> nice one Brady.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    You'll find being a moderator on any site of any size is damned near impossible. You'll never please everyone.
    I'm probably the most passionate member about Octopussy, and I will defend my decision at all times. I'll also do the same regarding my thoughts on Bond. At the end of the day mods are fans of Bond aswell. We have a right to contribute to the discussion. But we are given the responibility to intervene when the need arises. You'll find I will often lock topics or intervene when threads get out of hand, are duplicates, when members only post in topics to increase their post count (as if it matters). And sometimes members don't feel my decisions are the right ones. But as moderator, you are the one who has to answer for your actions. We have a set of terms and conditions of posting, and when someone breaches those, then I feel that it when we can and should act.
    You'll also find that many of the mods / admin are from different corners of the globe, so that at any given point of the day, someone is online to keep things running smoothly.
    Being a mod is not easy, but it is enjoyable, and a real honour to participate with like minded individuals who are interested in the subject of James Bond. Afterall that's why we're all here.
    May I ask when (as we're in familiar territory), or if even, J7 Wild is coming back, he got suspended and wondered when he's allowed back, it wasn't a termination or anything, there is a difference

It's just he made some fun points sometimes and although one for being sometimes controversial, there was no real malice involved, wondered reading this thread if he could make a return one day etc ?

I will stop after this post, as everything has been said on my side and thanks for the responses.

Don't you see, that with above said, you just underlined my points? We don't want this, right? It was all wrong. So - in the end - people, who have certain powers ABSOLUTELY NEED to be considrate, sober minded people and not somone, who sticks needles (here with harsh or very strongly written comments) into discussions, that might lead to equally strict reactions. I have seen many here, who try to calm down a discussion - the Major was never among them.
    I've known them all for 5 years now so this is one vote i am abstaining from !!!
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    barryt007 wrote:
    I've known them all for 5 years now so this is one vote i am abstaining from !!!
    And we're all very glad to have known you for five years! :)
    They all do a grand job but Sir Dimi gets my vote here - always makes interesting and engaging posts AND threads. A class act who I was delighted to see promoted to mod status a while back.

*please send the cheque in the post Dimi* ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well I've not been modding as much as I once did, and I think that goes for one or two of the long term mods ( I started in 2003 I think). You do tend to drift away a little.
    However I still keep my hand in. These new young upstarts like Dimi deserve all the accolades they receive - bless 'em ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    As long as you and other mods are still around Nackers!

Sometimes I feel as if you're all a little too distant and wish you'd come and join the fun a bit more - just like Darth Dimi.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Too right Sam, too right. Being a bit distant is usually down to one of two things
    1) Feeling like you have said everything you are ever going to say
    2) Becoming aware that the knowledge shown by some members leaves me feeling a little out of my depth ^:)^ ;)
    barryt007 wrote:
    And we're all very glad to have known you for five years! :)

Thanks Disco,and same to all of you lot !!

NicNac wrote:
    Too right Sam, too right. Being a bit distant is usually down to one of two things
    1) Feeling like you have said everything you are ever going to say
    2) Becoming aware that the knowledge shown by some members leaves me feeling a little out of my depth ^:)^ ;)

Fair point, NN. Just as long as you stick around and pop your heads in every now and then. :)

Maybe they'll be more to talk about near the end of the year, so I'll look forward to that.
    Guys, I'm flattered by the accolades. Really, reading this brings a fine conclusion to an otherwise distressing day.

Thank-you-2.jpg

That said, I want to call for a big hooray for the other mods as well. Perhaps we don't post in equal measures - we all take a "brake" occasionally - but a lot of work is done behind the scenes as well and truly there are deep puddles of blood, sweat and tears upstairs.

In that respect, I think a warm appreciation for the admins is in place too. After all, were it not for their constant attention, this wonderful forum simply wouldn't be.
    Any information you can provide @DarthDimi as to what the admins have to do? What those many buckets of blood, sweat and even tears are spilt over? I'm sure they and the many other moderators work solidly and I'd love to know a bit more about what they have to constantly deal with. Otherwise it seems like, I'm appreciating them for the unspeakable, if you get my drift.
    Can't answer that right away, Sam, old buddy. ;-) We're still working on the Zapruder film and then we'll move to Roswell. After that, perhaps, I'm allowed some clarity. ;-)
    I await the answer with baited breath! :)