Skyfall, gun barrel sequence back where it belongs?

Comments

Should we introudce the Dalton-jump?

Bing it back to the beginning where it belongs. Also as a interesting new take, let Bond get shot at, dodge the bullet and then strike back with the kill shot!
    Bing it back to the beginning where it belongs. Also as a interesting new take, let Bond get shot at, dodge the bullet and then strike back with the kill shot!

I want a roll!
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    If the producers have any capacity to learn from their past experiences and Sam Mendes is as big a bond fan as he says he is, we should get an unaltered gunbarrel right after the company logos.
    I really hope they put the gun barrel that's the key thing in a bond movie I'll be pissed if they dont
    We can't change what they decide to go with, I only hope common sense prevails and they put the bloody thing back at the very start where it should always be. We haven't had a traditional gun barrel sequence since 1999 and that's what I'm hoping for, especially as it's the big one and the half century anniversary, none of that CGI bullet nonsense from Die Another Day, no gun barrels after the teaser and before the credits, and no gun barrel at the very end like QOS. I wish they would stop with all this and just leave the damn thing be and have it just as it should be, there's a certain level of tampering going on for sure, and not for the better either :-<
    I was sort of ok with the CR one, I'd have preferred it at the start but in a way it suits the film and it was a nice way of including it. But now they really need to stop messing around with it and just put it where it should be, as it should be. I saw suggested in one threads that after the SF teaser Craig should walk TOWARDS the gunbarrel. Why?!? Just put it at the start the way it should be.
    I'd be incredibly surprised if Mendes doesn't put the gunbarrel back at the beginning. I'm inclined to think that the inside of the barrel will have the same look as in the pre Craig era too. I hope it aint all shiny though as it is in the Brosnan era.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Bounine wrote:
    I'd be incredibly surprised if Mendes doesn't put the gunbarrel back at the beginning. I'm inclined to think that the inside of the barrel will have the same look as in the pre Craig era too. I hope it aint all shiny though as it is in the Brosnan era.

I like the Brosnan era one, it looks really cool, I think the old design looked a bit outdated. I didn't mind the CR design but I hated the QOS one. I think they should try and think up something new for the inside of the barrel.
    I like the Brosnan era one, it looks really cool, I think the old design looked a bit outdated. I didn't mind the CR design but I hated the QOS one. I think they should try and think up something new for the inside of the barrel.

How about viewed through a sniper's criss-cross, Bond strolls into shot carrying a large rocket launcher on his shoulder, turns, fires and blows the entire screen up? Kaaboom!!

Or we could just stick with what's already iconic and that we know works. I can't say I noticed much difference between the CGI Brosnan GBs or the ones that proceeded them. It was always the music cues that I noticed the most.
    Bounine wrote:

The Brosnan gunbarrels are too shiny I think. They just don't look realistic. I myself want something that looks more realistic and less cartoon like.

Bounine wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

The Brosnan gunbarrels are too shiny I think. They just don't look realistic. I myself want something that looks more realistic and less cartoon like.

Fair enough. I just like that slick glossy feeling. But like I said, I hope they redesign the inside of the barrel for this one (I'd put my money on them using the classic one though).

bondsum wrote:

How about viewed through a sniper's criss-cross, Bond strolls into shot carrying a large rocket launcher on his shoulder, turns, fires and blows the entire screen up? Kaaboom!!

Or we could just stick with what's already iconic and that we know works. I can't say I noticed much difference between the CGI Brosnan GBs or the ones that proceeded them. It was always the music cues that I noticed the most.

When I said changing it, I didn't mean another big change, I want the classic one too, but they should try to make it a bit different like they did for Brosnan. They should stick with what works, but I'd like it if they didn't do the Brosnan one or the older one. Maybe take the inside of the CR one and use that.
    I'd maybe settle for the Brosnan one from 2002 but nothing too extravagant besides that or overly silly. For the last time, PLEASE no gunbarrel nonsense in the wrong places as the last two times, I don't know what they were thinking, It should be at the very start as always, have a Brosnan type intro if necessary, but it would be a real annoyance for me, especially for the half century anniversary, to put the thing in the wrong place as before. I really do hope someone with some good sense sees what needs to be done and do it properly this time out :-<
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just miss the gunbarrel introducing us to the PTS which precedes the theme song. Haven't had that in a long time.
    I don't care if they use the same gun barrel design as in CR and QOS. I just don't want it to be shiny like in the Brosnan era.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    I want the exact same GB sequence Connery used. Exactly the same, k Babs? xxoo.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,598
    Aren't the Connery GB's the same as the Moore, Lazenby and Dalton ones except that the gunbarrel is longer in the Connery films which does look better and the fact that Connery is wearing a hat? Infact, a longer gunbarrel where Bond is further away looks cooler I think, so yes, I'd like the GB to be in the vein of the Connery ones too but without the producer credits at the beginning as in Dr No and OHMSS. I want the same sound as in Dr No too although whether this will actually happen (I'm not confident) is another thing entirely but I think it would be appropriate for the 50th Anniversary and very cool (the credit sequence shouldn't come until after the PTS though):

Lofqvist wrote:
    Should we introudce the Dalton-jump?

i like the dalton jump, a bit of a nod to bob simmons, it would be cool if craig done that.

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    My humble opinion is that the design will be something similar to what we saw with Brosnan, and Craigs style will be the same or slightly different from QoS.
  • I would imagine that it would be quite similar to the one at the end of QoS. Other than the speed (I agree that it seemed fast) I quite liked it - Craig's "bullheaded" walk suited his character quite well IMHO.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I would imagine that it would be quite similar to the one at the end of QoS. Other than the speed (I agree that it seemed fast) I quite liked it - Craig's "bullheaded" walk suited his character quite well IMHO.

Yeah! I think it is really good except the speed. But too bad people don't want to see what's actually is good, just whats bad.
  • I think the LTK gunbarrel has the best music sequence.
    I think the LTK gunbarrel has the best music sequence.

Definetly. The way it builds up to the gunshot is really cool. Just another reason why LTK is the best Bond film ever.
    MrBond wrote:
    I would imagine that it would be quite similar to the one at the end of QoS. Other than the speed (I agree that it seemed fast) I quite liked it - Craig's "bullheaded" walk suited his character quite well IMHO.

Yeah! I think it is really good except the speed. But too bad people don't want to see what's actually is good, just whats bad.

imo, the QOS gunbarrel was the worst one of the series. It was at the end, it was too fast, Craig was almost running, even the CGI bullet was better than this. I liked the design though.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Yes it was at the end, but we got one. With proper music, it was as near classic as we could get.

On the other hand, the LTK gunbarrel music doesen't follow the music schedule at all. It just doesen't work.
    I agree that the LTK one was one of the best. The music has varried from film to film, it's never always the same if you listen closely. But what made the one in LTK great was not only the build-up to the gunshot, but also the fact that the music itself was a variation on the theme, but still very much authentic.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    MrBond wrote:
    Yes it was at the end, but we got one. With proper music, it was as near classic as we could get.

On the other hand, the LTK gunbarrel music doesen't follow the music schedule at all. It just doesen't work.

The music has changed lots of times, not just for LTK. And the music in LTK works really well, because it's a different version of the Bond theme that builds up into the gunshot. QOS wasn't as near classic as we could get, because they could've easily just put it at the start, made it slower, etc.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:

The music has changed lots of times, not just for LTK. And the music in LTK works really well, because it's a different version of the Bond theme that builds up into the gunshot. QOS wasn't as near classic as we could get, because they could've easily just put it at the start, made it slower, etc.

But if the gunbarrel would have been on the start it would have ruined the tension that is build up. And that the gunbarrel in the end shows that Bond is the man we know so well in the end. He learns about Vesper and he can finally move on. The whole gunbarrel went a bit fast, yes but so? It was the end of the film, people were just going to leave.

I think that a great gunbarrel should have the music schedule right, FYEO have terrible music to the gunbarrel but it follows the schedule so i think it's okay. But not with LTK.
    That is one of the few problems i have with LTK though.
    License to Kill does have a good Barrell music intro, pity about the film that followed it maybe. Quite epic and dramatic even. Live and Let Die also works this way, really gets you into the feel of things. Doctor No is just damn funny... :P
    MrBond wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

But if the gunbarrel would have been on the start it would have ruined the tension that is build up. And that the gunbarrel in the end shows that Bond is the man we know so well in the end. He learns about Vesper and he can finally move on. The whole gunbarrel went a bit fast, yes but so? It was the end of the film, people were just going to leave.

That's another problem I have with QOS. It seemed like Bond had become the man we know at the end of CR, but in QOS he was basically the same. They could've just played the tense music OVER the (normal) GB at the start to keep the tension. I think the QOS gunbarrel is definetly the worst one and I know I'm not the only one to think that.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    you are all wrong, FYEO had the best music for any gunbarrel :-D..... i just love the sharp notes of the trumpets after a grooving guitar beat.....

j/k tho, none of you are wrong, but the FYEO gunbarrel music is by far and away my favorite... the latter ones from Arnold were never as good as his one for TND, the music for the one in QOS was good though..

This discussion has been closed.