Skyfall, gun barrel sequence back where it belongs?

1235»

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2012 Posts: 5,979
    Anyway, I've already given my opinion on the deeper meanings. I knew Bond would look for answers, but I thought he would do it as the Bond we know. Look at the CR ending, Bond shoots white skillfully, walks up calmly in a suit, Bond theme playing and says "Bond, James Bond". Sure sounds like the Bond we know to me.

Agreed. The key to QoS is the last line: "I never left." Throughout the film, he was looking relentlessly for an answer about Vesper. M doubted him--"When you can't tell your friends from your enemies, it's time to go"--but Bond was unwavering. He recruited Mathis to help him get his answer: "Forgive her. Forgive yourself." By the end, M realized that Bond was true to his country and his job all along.

The gunbarrel is the shooter's perspective (and by extension, the audience's, because it's POV) of Bond, not M's. For that reason, putting the gunbarrel at the end (when M finally realizes Bond's loyalty) makes no sense. It's just another failed artistic flourish from Forster.

CR, on the other hand, made artistic sense because it was most definitely the shooter's perspective.
    The James Bond gun barrel should be free of any CGI effects, and at the very start, where it remained up until 2002, not (immediately) before the titles or theme intro, not at the very end, or anywhere different. I can only hope that they go back to this
    Absolutely and completely agree with the fact it must be there. It's almost not a Bond film unless it's there. I have high hopes for Skyfall.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    The James Bond gun barrel should be free of any CGI effects, and at the very start, where it remained up until 2002, not (immediately) before the titles or theme intro, not at the very end, or anywhere different. I can only hope that they go back to this

you mean aside from the gun barrel itself, which is CGI?

;;)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,399
    I can't remember every line of dialouge in the film. I forgot about the new place to meet line, I like that one. Some of those don't seem that funny but I can't remember what scenes they're from.

I still think Craig was nowhere near on the same level he was in CR for QOS.

for whatever reason, the "i dont think he smoked." line is my favorite, and always gets a good chuckle out of me every time i watch the movie..... it's when M and Bond are in Mitchell's apartment, she is holding a crystal ashtray which she mentions to Bond about buying it for Mitchell as a christmas gift - Bond simply replies with "I don't he smoked." - and M throws the ashtray to the floor letting it shatter..... the line, in itself isn't funny, but it's the reaction that M has after hearing it that makes it funny..... at least to me.

in terms of Craig's performance from CR to QOS, i think he definitely looks more relaxed and comfortable in QOS than he does in CR - he definitely smiles a lot more lol.
This discussion has been closed.