William Boyd to Write Next James Bond Novel

124»

Comments

chrisisall wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    looking forward to the only bit of bond this year probably
    Confidence is high!

no video game for the next 2 years probably and as for Films they are talking sadly a 2015 release so yeah
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    looking forward to the only bit of bond this year probably
    Confidence is high!

no video game for the next 2 years probably and as for Films they are talking sadly a 2015 release so yeah

"They" aren't talking anything. Everything we hear is pure speculation.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    From what I've read, William Boyd is awesome, I expect his Bond novel will be outstanding, and I can't wait.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    From what I've read, William Boyd is awesome, I expect his Bond novel will be outstanding, and I can't wait.

Even if it turns out to be a mess, I am sure you will love it. :)
    Yes although I still don't agree with the back to the 60's move I'm still pretty excited to read this.

On another note I just re-read most of the Raymond Benson books since I actually ran into him at a play recently and it got me in the mood to read his Bond again. And I know his books are very "Brosnan/Hollywood" compared to other writers....but wow some of those are just entertaining as hell. High Time To Kill especially
    Well I got my email name down in the web. I will be surprise to read it.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 17,691
    No, I like some bad movies, but novels have to be pretty good for me to spend time on them.
    chrisisall wrote:
    No, I like some bad movies, but novels have to be pretty good for me to spend time on them.
    That is true. I didn't really think my statement out.
    :P
  • Anyone that has read Boyd will not doubt his literary credentials. His latest, "Waiting For Sunrise"is particularly good.
    His books are very character based and his capacity to describe and immerse you in different times is a key strength and doubtless why he decided to set his Bond book in the '60s. His challenge, in my opinion, will be to amp up his normal pace and get to grips with writing convincing action pieces. Not his normal forte!
    That said, I'm sure he'll make a good fist of it and hopefully resurrect the literary Bond after the damage inflicted by the atrocious efforts of Faukes and Deaver.
  • THEBond007THEBond007 Banned
    I would buy it first day it would come out
    edited February 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Me too!!! The wait is my anguish...
    I really do have my fingers crossed for this novel. I think a Bond book that is more grounded and really gets into Bond and his psyche/character/motivations will pay off over some absurd villainous antagonist with an equally loose plot with Bond doing all these over the top things along the way. Here's hoping we will soon call this novel a winner, and a nice tribute to Fleming's character.
    Here's hoping we will soon call this novel a winner, and a nice tribute to Fleming's character.

[-O<
    I pray, yet I am confident.
  • Given Boyd's importance to our hero's literary evolution I'm a little surprised that folk appear not to have dipped into his back catalogue.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,598
    To delete. Damn, I just wrote up a whole post and lost it.

• edited March 2013 Posts: 2,598
    To delete.
    On a french site, I've just read that the title is going to be "Solo", and takes place in Africa and the United States. William Boyd says that in this book : "Circumstances will force Bond to undertake a solo and completely unauthorized mission.

More here:

http://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-303199-le-prochain-james-bond-signe-william-boyd-s-appellera-solo.html
    When Fleming was working on U.N.C.L.E. it was called "SOLO". So I guess that makes it a very Flemingesque title. Still going to be looking over my shoulder for Napoleon while reading it.
    delfloria, you are so correct - my first reaction was to connect the title with Fleming's association with "The Man From U.N.C.L.E