William Boyd to Write Next James Bond Novel

Comments

Back to the 60's again?? I thought Carte Blanche was a great start to a new series of novels. And Devil May Care underwhelmed me. But I remain hopeful and can't wait to read it!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 7,653
    Like in the movies a reboot in the books turns out to be a flipping waste of time.
  • Continuity in the Bond novels is dead. That blows. :-q
    I'm not sure what to think of it yet. I've never read anything by Boyd. I was also hoping for a bit of continuity as well. I do like the idea of the period Bond novel again, but I'm a tad weary of it after the rather lacklustre Devil May Care.
    sigh i like bond in the current time line I preferred Carte Blanche over Devil May Care disliked both of course . Fleming didn't write bond as period piece it shouldn't be now... I'll still read it but sigh.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 624
    Is William Boyd going to be writing as Ian Fleming? I think that is why some people consider Devil May Care a bad book. You can try to write as Ian Fleming, but the truth of the matter is, you can't replicate Fleming's style.

I liked the idea of a reboot of literary Bond, even though I didn't like the way Deaver handled some aspects. I didn't like the fact that Bond didn't work for MI6 and I didn't like how young Bond was. I haven't read Devil May Care since 2008, so I don't know which one I liked better. I liked both though.

I hope, at least, that Boyd's novel is a continuation of the series Faulks' started.
    I've never read anything by Boyd, so I'm not sure how to feel about the news on that front. I can't imagine that his novel will turn out worse than the last two, but I just wish that they would make up their mind with where the literary franchise is going. Going back and forth between modern day stories and period piece stories doesn't really work, IMO. There needs to be some semblance of continuity, even if it's just in terms of the time period the novels are set in.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yeah...well...Even though CB lacked anything Bondian at all, I was interested in a possible continuation. I haven't read any Boyd, but I'm optimistic though I think Fleming is the only true representation to follow, naturally.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I'm a bit shocked and at first thought this was some kind of joke. So the 'reboot' was just a novel set in present day and now we're back in '60's again. I take it post Devil May Care.

A two and a bit year gap is nearly as long as the three years before and all the consistency in the novel Bond seems to be dead.

Once again, I'm hoping for the best.
    Yeah...well...Even though CB lacked anything Bondian at all, I was interested in a possible continuation. I haven't read any Boyd, but I'm optimistic though I think Fleming is the only true representation to follow, naturally.

especially since he sets it up, giving it a possible title "By Guile and Strength"
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote:

especially since he sets it up, giving it a possible title "By Guile and Strength"

That's such a lame title. :(
  • It set in 1969....wonder how old Bond would be....and after a while it will difficult to do a BOnd novel during the 60s and 70s as Bond would over 45 and that the limit that 00 should retire.......I am guessing if he is born 1921 he is 48? but we dont know
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    When will we get a semi-coherent novel series again?
  • When will we get a semi-coherent novel series again?

probably not in a while......I could see them go back and forth one modern one set in the 1960s as Bond is getting too old now to continue to the 70s
  • Is William Boyd going to be writing as Ian Fleming? I think that is why some people consider Devil May Care a bad book. You can try to write as Ian Fleming, but the truth of the matter is, you can't replicate Fleming's style.

I liked the idea of a reboot of literary Bond, even though I didn't like the way Deaver handled some aspects. I didn't like the fact that Bond didn't work for MI6 and I didn't like how young Bond was. I haven't read Devil May Care since 2008, so I don't know which one I liked better. I liked both though.

I hope, at least, that Boyd's novel is a continuation of the series Faulks' started.

I don't see how writing as Ian Fleming is possible, since he's dead. And I've never even heard of this William Boyd guy...
  • I never heard of this author either........I guess he is pretty good but unknown outside the UK I guess
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 53
    I never heard of this author either........I guess he is pretty good but unknown outside the UK I guess

I do live in the UK, just haven't heard of him, or his name doesn't ring a bell at least.
  • I wanted Charles Cumming to do Bond.......he been consider the next John le Claire
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 624
    Is William Boyd going to be writing as Ian Fleming? I think that is why some people consider Devil May Care a bad book. You can try to write as Ian Fleming, but the truth of the matter is, you can't replicate Fleming's style.

I don't see how writing as Ian Fleming is possible, since he's dead. And I've never even heard of this William Boyd guy...
    It means Faulks tried to replicate Ian Fleming's style as close as possible.

It means Faulks tried to replicate Ian Fleming's style as close as possible.

Epic literary fail. The point is all that garbage should be discarded. NO ONE will ever write like Ian ever again. His style was completely unique, and no one should even attempt to recreate it because they will never be successful. It is to the point where I'll block out everything but Fleming in the world of the literary Bond, as it should be anyway.
  • did anyone also read that he work with Daniel Craig before? potentially screenwriter? for Bond 24 and novelization
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 2,598
    Agent005 wrote:
    I'm not sure what to think of it yet. I've never read anything by Boyd. I was also hoping for a bit of continuity as well. I do like the idea of the period Bond novel again, but I'm a tad weary of it after the rather lacklustre Devil May Care.

The fact that DMC was laclustre had nothing to do with the fact that it was set in the 1960's. It is a poorly written Bond book.

Great to get the announcement! I'm definitely excited but perhaps not as excited as I was upon hearing the Faulks and Deaver announcement because I've been disappointed twice now.

I've always supported a period and contemporary piece.

Let's hope we get the real Bond back again and not Deaver's horrible generic interpretation of the character! Maybe Deaver will return for the next Bond book, continuing in the contemporary world where he left off with Carte Blanche.

I don't think for a minute that Boyd will try and immitate Fleming.
    Great news! Boyd is one of the very best British contemporary writers. RESTLESS gives an idea about how he handles a literary thriller in period setting. It's a WW II / 1970s setting and Fleming would have liked it a lot. Yay!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i guess the publishers just don't care anymore...

i for one am enjoying Carte Blanche (not finished readng yet), and I would've loved to see Deaver continue on, but knew full well that wasn't going to be a case... but I would love to get some sort of continuity - they seem to like hopscotching between contemporary and period piece, and all i ask is that they find a path and stick with it, for better or worse... this constant change of setting is starting to get a tab bit annoying.
    Fellow agents,
    There may be hope.
    William Boyd is credible. I am currently reading his latest, 'Waiting For Sunrise' and it's good.
    His decision to go back to '69 after the appalling 'Carte Blanche' is probably a good thing and hopefully he can give us something worth the cover price.
    How the Fleming estate has made such a mess of the whole continuation saga remains one of the great mysteries of our time. We have had the excellent 'Young Bond' series from Charlie Higson and the fantastic 'Moneypenny Diaries' from Kate Westbrook but when it comes to the adult 007, we've had over twenty years of dross.
    Us older agents who can remember the fantastic 'Colnel Son' from Kingsley Amis and the first five outings from John Gardner know that it can be done.
    Personally, I'd have fired the Managing Director of Ian Fleming publications and hired Higson for the new book.He gets Bond and could have done for our hero what Anthony Horowitz has done for the Sherlock Holmes fans with 'The House Of Silk' - made them proud!
    Let's hope for the best. Atleast Boyd won't have him in Oakley sunglasses. They weren't around in '69.
    Regards,
    Bentley
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 2,598
    Atleast in in 1969 we can have a bit more confidence that Bond will be more like his original self instead of, well, whoever the hell he was in Carte Blanche. He wasn't James Bond. When I first read the Fleming books many years ago, once Bond reached the early sixties I ceased picturing him as an older man. For me, he stopped aging once he reached his early 40's. So, he was in his early 40's in CS, the Gardner novels and Benson's books. :)

I've never read any of Boyd's novels so I'll have to check one out. What makes me a little less excited is that Faulks is an excellent writer (I've read several of his books) but he gave us a disappointing Bond book. He isn't a thriller writer though but then Deaver is and CB lacked punch too. I did enjoy the latter book to a point but the continual twists got tiring and Bond just wasn't Bond but from what people have said about Boyd I am somewhat confident.

Continuity would be nice but I'm glad IFP are sticking to the different authors as I'm not happy with Deaver's Bond.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I really did not like CB, but I enjoyed DMC a bit. I am glad someone has heard of Boyd in a positive way. I'll definitely read it. I don't mind it being set as a period piece.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Kennon wrote:
    It's a WW II / 1970s setting and Fleming would have liked it a lot. Yay!

How is it set during two completely different time periods at the same time? Is there some space between the WWII part and the 70s part?
    am i the only one who liked Carte Blanche more then Devil may care. once bond started doing opium in DMC i was like ok WTF
    Fellow Agents,
    I am excited that Jonathan Cape will be publishing Boyd's book. We may finally get a great dust jacket. I loved Richard Chopping's cover art and it would be great to get something Choppingesque. My personal favourite cover was "From Russia With Love" which was also, in my opinion, by fare and away Fleming's best novel and turned out to be the best movie.
    Regards, Bentley