The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 40,285
    I'm not sure who would be responsible for demolishing the MI6 building, but it could be assumed that work is put on hold due to the activation of 'Nine Eyes'...or, of course, it's another plot hole of the script.

Speaking of SP, I've asked it before and don't believe anyone had a proper answer, but what is it that Hinx and Spectre want with Swann? If Mr. White has already been taken care of, and she hasn't spoken to him in many years, what use could they possibly have for her? My only guess is that they want her because they know Bond does, and they want to cut off the possibility of Bond being able to track down Blofeld? Then again, it seems this is what Blofeld wants, so who knows.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,681
    @Creasy47 that is an explanation, but wouldn't 'Nine Eyes' have been in development for some time already prior to the film's events?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm not sure who would be responsible for demolishing the MI6 building, but it could be assumed that work is put on hold due to the activation of 'Nine Eyes'...or, of course, it's another plot hole of the script.

I don't really see how the formation of a top secret intelligence coalition has any bearing either way on a professional demolition company knocking down a disused building. Unless you're suggesting Denbeigh moonlights as a professional demolition expert and just hasn't got time to do both?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Over-analysing SPECTRE is as useless as over-analysing THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, GOLDENEYE OR GOLDFINGER.

Enjoy the damn movie people, it's actually great entertainment and not some wannabe artsy soap drama that takes itself too seriously like its predecessor.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I actually think you write some of the best reviews here, positive or negative ones, @Birdleson.
    I actually think you write some of the best reviews here, positive or negative ones, @Birdleson.

Absolutely.
    There are quite a few very good reviewers here (go to the review threads) who in fact are better than most of the so-called "professional" critics.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Mallory wrote: »
    I just timed the three minute countdown at the end of Spectre (as I happen to be watching it).

The time taken between Oberhauser pressing the button and the timer expiring is 3:29 in the film, so Bond and Madeliene would have been blown up when they hit the nets.

That's not bad by previous standards.

The GF one is awful - probably around 5 minutes over if you times it properly.

Additionally, when Wei Lin (or however it's spelt) falls in to the water at the end, wrapped in chains, has anyone held their breath to see how long she could be expected to survive? I do it every time and I'm spluttering and gasping about 3 minutes before Bond drops into the water and saves her. Mind you, I'm a right wuss.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited March 2016 Posts: 13,384
    Well Tom Cruise held his breath for about ten minutes in MI5, so it can be
    Done ! :))

I admit I hate those scenes where they hold their breath for minutes on end. It always makes me try and do the same. Then I have to get Jack Daniels out to help me recover.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    NicNac wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »
    I just timed the three minute countdown at the end of Spectre (as I happen to be watching it).

The time taken between Oberhauser pressing the button and the timer expiring is 3:29 in the film, so Bond and Madeliene would have been blown up when they hit the nets.

That's not bad by previous standards.

The GF one is awful - probably around 5 minutes over if you times it properly.

Additionally, when Wei Lin (or however it's spelt) falls in to the water at the end, wrapped in chains, has anyone held their breath to see how long she could be expected to survive? I do it every time and I'm spluttering and gasping about 3 minutes before Bond drops into the water and saves her. Mind you, I'm a right wuss.
    I find myself doing the exact same thing during the TWINE finale.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    The worst editing of a countdown sequence must surely be OHMSS. Draco's bomb timer reaches zero and then we get several seconds of Blofeld and Bond racing through the building and jumping to safety before the explosion happens.

Did the bomb have last minute doubts about whether to explode? Stage fright?
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    The worst editing of a countdown sequence must surely be OHMSS. Draco's bomb timer reaches zero and then we get several seconds of Blofeld and Bond racing through the building and jumping to safety before the explosion happens.

Did the bomb have last minute doubts about whether to explode? Stage fright?

It would depend what type of HE (High Explosive it was). Some bombs explode a bit after the timer dials down, if one is using a timer - the timer in essence counting down to the charge that will set off the explosion - so it could be a timer counting down to the ignition of the initial charge.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Why didn't they make Charles Gray shave his head for DAF? Honestly.
    echo wrote: »

Yes, and the more urgent question. Why was Blofeld again bold and with the neck brace in FYEO??

Is DAF supposed to be in an alternate universe??
    After all they made him shave his legs for The Rocky Horror Picture Show

@Creasy47 that is an explanation, but wouldn't 'Nine Eyes' have been in development for some time already prior to the film's events?

If it was, then wouldn't South Africa have already been on board? What I'm getting at is that perhaps, while waiting for Nine Eyes to be fully active/the 00 program to be shut down/etc., the demolition of MI6 was put on hold. Of course, that's nothing but a fan answer and it's more than likely a plot hole.
    After all they made him shave his legs for The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Maybe it was a wig, he did after all wear one when he was in drag.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 562
    The OHMSS bomb time delay - I always assumed the scene was a few seconds before the last scene with Draco, to make us think they were going to be blown up.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,681
    @Creasy47 I just rewatched that scene with Tanner again. He says the old MI6 will be demolished in a week, and 2 minutes later Tanner tells Bond about the global surveillance program (Nine Eyes). So unless the demolition was postponed within the 90 seconds time-span before Tanner talks about Nine Eyes..
    @Creasy47 I just rewatched that scene with Tanner again. He says the old MI6 will be demolished in a week, and 2 minutes later Tanner tells Bond about the global surveillance program (Nine Eyes). So unless the demolition was postponed within the 90 seconds time-span before Tanner talks about Nine Eyes..

What has the demolition date of the old MI6 building to do with anything else in the movie plot wise? I don't get it.
    If anything, the city administration has set a date for the destruction.

What has the demolition date of the old MI6 building to do with anything else in the movie plot wise? I don't get it.
    If anything, the city administration has set a date for the destruction.

Nothing, it was an attempt at me trying to make sense of something that is a plot hole and nothing more. I notice I ask legitimate questions that get ignored a lot on here, and yet when I offer the slightest possibility to someone else's question, everyone takes it at face value and tears it to shreds. It's speculation and nothing more.
  • The OHMSS bomb time delay - I always assumed the scene was a few seconds before the last scene with Draco, to make us think they were going to be blown up.

Yes, they clearly say that a delay is set.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I admit I hate those scenes where they hold their breath for minutes on end. It always makes me try and do the same. Then I have to get Jack Daniels out to help me recover.

I suggest you not to watch Finding Nemo, then.
  • Why does Bond ring the bell at the bell tower in QOS. Like, why would he do that?
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Did Red Grant have a different name in the novel or early screenplay? Was just watching the trailer and it says "Kryzno Grantsky (spelling?) codename Grant"
  • w2bond wrote: »
    Did Red Grant have a different name in the novel or early screenplay? Was just watching the trailer and it says "Kryzno Grantsky (spelling?) codename Grant"

Oh, I just watched the trailer too! Yes that threw me off... Someone answer this and my question please!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Why does Bond ring the bell at the bell tower in QOS. Like, why would he do that?
    I believe he was using the loud sound to startle Mitchell and get the drop on him.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    And to mask the sound of his approaching footsteps.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    w2bond wrote: »

Krasno Grantski was the Russian name he took when he moved there.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    w2bond wrote: »

Krasno Grantski was the Russian name he took when he moved there.

@Thunderfinger Thanks, is this stated in the novel? Or elsewhere