The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Ludovico wrote:
    I do like Pleasance as Blofeld but I think I agree with you two. I liked how Savalas actually got off his arse and got his hands dirty, and he seemed more menacing and less OTT than the other two.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just saw it online, but apparently Peter Hunt didn't like Pleasance as Blofeld, so he was recast. As for Savalas, I'm not sure.

That is interesting, thanks.

I wonder if the producers ditched Savalas to try and avoid any association with OHMSS (after how it was badly received). There's probably some other reason, but it'd make sense.

I may be wrong, but I understood that Pleasence did not look menacing enough physically to be the Blofeld of OHMSS. I was not always completely convinced by Savalas as Blofeld, but he was a credible adversary against Lazenby-Bond. Pleasence in a fist fight would have been laughable, however great he is as an actor.

I believe this is true, I read that because the Blofeld part in OHMSS was much more physically demanding (ski chases, bobsleigh runs etc.) Pleasance would of been unsuitable. I think it was a valid decision to change the actor, Bond had changed, the tone of the films had changed and it probably did stop audiences from wondering why Blofeld didn't recognise Bond after their last encounter.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Anytime I hear or see Pleasance, all I can think of is his role as Dr. Samuel Loomis in the 'Halloween' series. Nothing else compares. I think I agree, Savalas is most certainly my favorite Blofeld.

I definitely think Savalas got the most to do/best script for his time as Blofeld than either Pleasance or Gray. Definitely a better script than Gray got...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kxF371gMSro/SIE0o0-c8lI/AAAAAAAAC1Y/6ZBC5zboMO4/s320/blofeld.jpg
    That said I still think the best actor for Blofeld remains to be seen.;-)
    I wish we'd had a chance to see more of Max Von Sydow's interpretation of Blofeld in NSNA.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    saunders wrote:
    I wish we'd had a chance to see more of Max Von Sydow's interpretation of Blofeld in NSNA.
    Agreed. They sure didn't give him much to do.
    pachazo wrote:
    saunders wrote:
    Agreed. They sure didn't give him much to do.

Apparently a substantial amount of his screen time was edited out in the final cut, still if it was done to save the entire sequence of Kim Bassinger dancing about badly in a pink leotard to dodgy 80's music, well it was probably a worthwhile sacrifice! ;)
    Maybe a strange question, but what with all those colonels in the movies? Moon is a colonel, so is Mallory, so is Klebb. For Klebb I understand, but wouldn't it make more sense for the other two to be higher ranking? And I haven't read colonel Sun but... Well, why colonel? There's probably nothing to it, but I find it funny the rank is so often use.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ludovico wrote:
    Maybe a strange question, but what with all those colonels in the movies? Moon is a colonel, so is Mallory, so is Klebb. For Klebb I understand, but wouldn't it make more sense for the other two to be higher ranking? And I haven't read colonel Sun but... Well, why colonel? There's probably nothing to it, but I find it funny the rank is so often use.

That's funny because General has been used even more.

General Gogul, General Orlov, General Pushkin, General Koskov, General Ourumov, General Chang, General Moon and finally General Medrano.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Murdock wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

General Gogul, General Orlov, General Pushkin, General Koskov, General Ourumov, General Chang, General Moon and finally General Medrano.

Yes I did have the exact same thoughts as you @Murdock

And not forgetting the US General at the circus in OP :-)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Murdock wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes I did have the exact same thoughts as you @Murdock

And not forgetting the US General at the circus in OP :-)

And not actually seen on screen but namechecked - General Russhon.
  • What happens to Bond's hair in the hotel in Die Another Day? I doubt Bond's a trained barber, and it appears he's cut all the hair himself.

I admit this is probably a minor question in the movie with ice palaces and invisible cars and flagrant violations of the laws of physics.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What happens to Bond's hair in the hotel in Die Another Day? I doubt Bond's a trained barber, and it appears he's cut all the hair himself.

I admit this is probably a minor question in the movie with ice palaces and invisible cars and flagrant violations of the laws of physics.

He's James Bond, he can do anything.

...even parasail away from a falling iceberg, as embarrassing as that is to know and see.

Seriously, though, any time someone cuts their own hair in a film, it always ends up looking like some professional salon job. It's just how it works.
    Ludovico wrote:

A colonel is going to be someone around the age of 50 and it is very likely that a Colonel is also a field officer. You also have to remember that the Colonel the Army equivalent to a Naval Captain which would outrank Bond.
  • Question: Is James Bond rich?

I'm not asking about the funds from the British government, but only about his personal accounts. Does he have stocks or investments? His parents seemed rich because Bond inherited a lodge or manor--whatever it's called in UK. Can someone confirm or cite evidence from novels or movies?
  • Question: Is James Bond rich?

I'm not asking about the funds from the British government, but only about his personal accounts. Does he have stocks or investments? His parents seemed rich because Bond inherited a lodge or manor--whatever it's called in UK. Can someone confirm or cite evidence from novels or movies?
    I believe his parents were impoverished patricians. Bond's home looks pretty nice in Dr. No and Live and Let Die. I believe he has a fair amount of money, but I'm not sure.
  • ^ according to Craig's Bond's biography, His father Andrew Bond of Glencoe, Scotland, was a Senior Accounts Manager for Vickers Defence Systems. In Skyfall, he had money to spend on booze while the MI-6 thought he was dead. maybe he saved some money from MI-6 expense account in some missions and deposited them in another account.
    Murdock wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

yes but generals I understand, they are higher ranking.
    I guess my question is why have a colonel when you can have a general?
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Or why have a General when you can have a Field Marshal? ;-)
    Or why have a General when you can have a Field Marshal? ;-)

I guess rogue field marshals would be pushing it;-) but why those colonels? For at least some of them they could have been generals.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Question: Is James Bond rich?

I've wondered that myself. Sometimes it seems as if he just pretends the lifestyle as required for his cover. Though his home in London, as written, is richie rich, it was likely nice back then but not worth the millions of pounds it would be today.

I like to think that he supplements his government pay with gambling winnings and such. I also suspect that he would never pay a cover or have to pay his tab much of the time.

I he creatively lives a rich lifestyle without being rich.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I ask this of a film that has many problems, that this one should be accepted. But on a recent viewing of Moonraker it popped into the old noggin, and I thought I'd ask someone here for an opinion.
    After Bond and Holly have made the surprisingly small jump from the cable car, how did Drax deploy the bogus Ambulance crew to capture Bond and Holly so quickly?
    Does he have rent a villain bogus medical crew on standby for just such an occasion?
    Benny wrote:
    I ask this of a film that has many problems, that this one should be accepted. But on a recent viewing of Moonraker it popped into the old noggin, and I thought I'd ask someone here for an opinion.
    After Bond and Holly have made the surprisingly small jump from the cable car, how did Drax deploy the bogus Ambulance crew to capture Bond and Holly so quickly?
    Does he have rent a villain bogus medical crew on standby for just such an occasion?

They were part of Jaws and the bald guy's posse and the plan was for Jaws to climb onto the cable car and kill/subdue Bond and Holly then when the cable car came back to the station Jaws would pose as a doctor and they would be taken away in the ambulance. The ambulance guys watched the whole thing from the cable car station car park (which is conveniently located 10 seconds drive from where Bond and Holly landed) so when the plan when tits up they used their initiative.

Possibly.
  • Benny wrote:

They were part of Jaws and the bald guy's posse and the plan was for Jaws to climb onto the cable car and kill/subdue Bond and Holly then when the cable car came back to the station Jaws would pose as a doctor and they would be taken away in the ambulance. The ambulance guys watched the whole thing from the cable car station car park (which is conveniently located 10 seconds drive from where Bond and Holly landed) so when the plan when tits up they used their initiative.

Possibly.

Or maybe they were just an ambulance crew gone bad. Perhaps they were involved in an organ harvesting criminal enterprise and just happened upon Bond and Goodhead by chance :-)
  • retrokitty wrote:

I've wondered that myself. Sometimes it seems as if he just pretends the lifestyle as required for his cover. Though his home in London, as written, is richie rich, it was likely nice back then but not worth the millions of pounds it would be today.

I like to think that he supplements his government pay with gambling winnings and such. I also suspect that he would never pay a cover or have to pay his tab much of the time.

During his banter with Vesper, I think there's a clue

Vesper Lynd: All right... by the cut of your suit, you went to Oxford or wherever. Naturally you think human beings dress like that. But you wear it with such disdain, my guess is you didn't come from money, and your school friends never let you forget it. Which means that you were at that school by the grace of someone else's charity: hence that chip on your shoulder. And since you're first thought about me ran to "orphan," that's what I'd say you are.
    [he (Bond) smiles but says nothing]

-I think by the grace of someone else's charity refers to her aunt, Charmain Bond.
    Or, Vesper is plainly wrong with her assumption
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    New Bond film, new question. After watching A View To A Kill, I wondered, when Zorins goons attack Stacey at her home, but intervenes and uses Stacey's shotgun. He then learns that the shotgun is loaded with rock salt. Why doesn't Bond utilise his Walther PPK to stop the villains?
  • Benny wrote:
    New Bond film, new question. After watching A View To A Kill, I wondered, when Zorins goons attack Stacey at her home, but intervenes and uses Stacey's shotgun. He then learns that the shotgun is loaded with rock salt. Why doesn't Bond utilise his Walther PPK to stop the villains?

I've always wondered that. Especially at the end of the scene when he picks the shotgun up again and fires at them as they make their escape by car. Surely from that distance, rock salt can have no effect!
    Benny wrote:

I've always wondered that. Especially at the end of the scene when he picks the shotgun up again and fires at them as they make their escape by car. Surely from that distance, rock salt can have no effect!

I think it would kind of ruin the genteel quiche and bottle of wine ambience if Bond had just double tapped three blokes brains all over Stacey's front room.
    retrokitty wrote:

I don't think he is, although he comes into money sporadically when he wins at cards, etc, I think Bond is definitely middle class. In MR it is said that M is not a rich man, and he's a high ranking naval officer and head of MI6!
  • Benny wrote:

I think it would kind of ruin the genteel quiche and bottle of wine ambience if Bond had just double tapped three blokes brains all over Stacey's front room.

That's so funny. Brilliant as ever Wiz :))